Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

TheForgotton posted:

I made the mistake getting THRaKaTTaK as my second King Crimson album, not realizing it was a bunch of improv

I did exactly the same thing and I hated it (The first album was Crimson King, naturally) It killed my interested in them for years but later on, after my musical tastes had expanded (after listening to a lot of Merzbow and other noise) when I came back to it, I found it far more palletable.

I have been own my own prog discovery journey for the last 6 months or so mostly through my GBS-FM show where i've been playing what i've found, and I have found a few absolute gems.

The Enid An amazing symphonic prog band, it's as close to classical music with synths, guitars and drums as you are going to get. I started with the live album Live in Hammersmith 1983 which I found to be exquisite. The Song of Fand is magical.

Magma These guys have created a really specific sound. It's like someone trying to franticly describe to you a nightmare about the end of the world through the medium of music and screaming (think Diamanda Galas but less prominent). Which is actually what it is in a way because (from Wikipedia) "Christian Vander, who claimed as his inspiration a "vision of humanity's spiritual and ecological future" that profoundly disturbed him." made a new language to describe just that. The album I have heard is Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Songs of Distant Earth onwards: poo poo.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Prog lyrics should be embarrassing to listen to. They need a vague sense of mysticism with clunky or a flagrant disregard for rhyme, sung in a English accent with an utterly unremarkable voice.

Something like:
The ancient city of times long past
Beheld a strangers secret worry
Of future streaming waters entwined
The path of which we know not when

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
No, it's ok. Dream Theater suck. They have absolutely no soul to their music. Technically brilliant, but that's all.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Tonight on BBC Radio 3 is a performance of Frank Zappas The Adventures of Greggery Peccary and G-Spot Tornado for the BBC Proms.

The Proms, for those who don't know, are a season of classical music performances, and this is the first time Zappa has been performed during it.

It starts at 22:15 BST (local UK time)

(There is also some Nancarrow and Philip Glass being performed too!)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

Fläsket Brinner - Psych/hippiejam/folk music. Two albums and one 4 CD live compilation.

That's a great list, lots of bands i've never heard of there.
I've singled these guys out because their grooves are hypnotic and they sound like an early Zappa band at times too.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
That's nice - I am getting a really strong Studio Ghibli film score vibe from it

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
There is now an official Progressive Rock Album Chart in the UK!

Here's the very first one:

1.Tame Impala - Currents
2.Muse - Drones
3.Roger Waters - Amused To Death
4.Joe Satriani - Shockwave Supernova
5.Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space
6.Faith No More - Sol Invictus
7.Symphony X - Underworld
8.Pink Floyd - The Endless River
9.Tim Bowness - Stupid Things That Mean The World
10.Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

They also compiled a chart for "Progressive Album Chart of the 21st Century":

1.Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
2.Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of the Moon
3.Radiohead - OK Computer
4.Kate Bush - Aerial
5.Jeff Wayne - The War Of The Worlds
6.Air - Moon Safari
7.Sigur Ros - Takk
8.Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
9.Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
10.Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

I am not sure why Air is there for Prog Rock? or Sigur Ros?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This Zeuhl band popped up in my Spotify Discover Weekly list just this week! They're Italian, I believe.

Universal Totem Orchestra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YL-rCvmdAk

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds :colbert:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Gianthogweed posted:

Doubtless KC would have had a lot more commercial success if Elton joined in 1970 and some of his hit songs were adapted into KC songs.

This is making me laugh far too much

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

Animals is their best album, fool

This is the correct answer.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you're of minimalist bent, Incantations is lovely.

Pretty much anything after Tubular Bells 2 can go gently caress itself.

And let's not forget the remake of Tubular Bells 1 so it's "perfect." I mean jesus christ Mike what were you even thinking? It's soulless and horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
There isn't a doubt in my mind that they aren't voracious swingers.