Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For anyone itching for new Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson's new album isn't as heavy as most PT stuff, but it's definitely some drat good prog-rock. It's two full discs, too!

It's absolutely incredible, and even as someone who loves PT but thought Insurgentes was just OK, I think it might be the best thing he's ever done. Mixes prog with elements of jazz, classical and electronica to amazing effect. The end of No Part of Me really reminds me of Bear Mcready's version of All Along the Watchtower too, which is awesome.

Here: No Part Of Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UHoLl30pFc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I can't think of an earlier instance of a late self-titled album as artistic statement, and, y'know, it's a really good album.

Deftones and Killing Joke just off the top of my head. Killing Joke's was even their second self titled, and it was great.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Has anyone else heard any of Road to Red, the King Crimson live box set? There's loads of great stuff there, but having just heard CD 20, the final tour performance, that set is worth checking out even if you aren't interested in the whole thing. I haven't heard a more ferocious version of 21st Century Schizoid Man, Fracture is beautifully tense and Starless - which is a great track but previously wouldn't have made my list of favourites - is utterly jaw dropping here. The sound quality on this show is a little low (it various across the box set) but it's still amazing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

I thought the Great Deceiver was an excellent box set that was just too heavy on the repetition for me. I don't know what to make out of this!

You probably wouldn't like it then. The draw is mainly just hearing all the different bits of live improvisation - both whole pieces and within the actual tracks - so if hearing the same track 15 times with different solos and fills and so on doesn't appeal, it's probably not worth it. There are individual examples where a track sounds significantly different from usual - the 21st Century Schizoid Man I mentioned above for example - but often it's subtler. I'm probably only going to go the whole thing once more, taking note of which my favourite versions are/which I think are notable, then make a "best of" playlist and forget about the rest.

Also I am sorely disappointed at the total lack of Larks Tongues (Part One). They haven't even got the two included in the Great Deceiver.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Punch Card posted:

Anyway, if I had to listen to one prog song on repeat on a desert island or what have you, it'd almost definitely be KC's Epitaph, even if the original version could've been mixed a bit better. In a better world, that song would have approached Stairway to Heaven in terms of mass popularity.

This but Starless.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

And you can't even lament the lack of Portnoy since the decline was well underway by the time he left.

I still haven't listened to a DT album since Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and haven't really enjoyed a DT album since Octavarium. I'm curious, but don't really want to bother outside of the vague sense of obligation I have to bands I used to like.

I still say A Dramatic Turn of Events has some really strong tracks on it and is overall good.

Besides that they've been boring for a long time, yeah.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

xov posted:

According to their Facebook page, Riverside's guitarist, Piotr Grudziński, died today. :( Not sure how.
That sucks. Prog needs more guitarists capable of emotion and melody, not less.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Bent Knee are amazing and from what I've heard, incredible live.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It's boring and bad. Damnation was a really good album so it's not just the lack of heavy parts, they just can't write interesting songs in the retro-prog style they're doing now.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm6CheT6rs

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If you like Riverside/Pain of Salvation/Haken style Prog Metal, Odd Logic recently released an album called Effigy and it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJzZedJlqRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtbApK1nc8

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

God dammit stop taking King Crimson vocalist/bassists! Wetton era best era.
Agreed, the Wetton albums are the best. Starless is one of my three all-time favourite songs.

Guess I'm listening to King Crimson tonight.

Edit: for anyone who didn't know, the first version of Starless was written by Wetton.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 31, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

My friend is slowly convincing me that the super whimsical style of prog peddled by Genesis, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, and Gryphon died in the early 70s and I really don't want her to be right. Is anyone singing about combating noxious weeds and knights in armour and such in this millennium? (alternately if there's cool lesser known prog bands from the 70s that played that style that'd be cool too.)

I think The Flower Kings are awful but they probably fit based on my brief attempt to find out if I like them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

What the hell why does this exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21_bGNsKVo

It's kind of amazing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It's very, very good and given that I thought The Congregation was a lot worse than their previous albums I'm really happy that Malina turned out so well.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I actually quite liked A Dramatic Turn of Events and thought that maybe kicking Portnoy out was what the band needed to turn themselves around, but then they released The Astonishing and proved me very wrong. Haken have basically taken over their spot in my music rotation anyway, so I'm not even that bothered.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Haken have so far improved with every release, and they were pretty good to start.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I really like the new Steven Wilson album. There are a bunch of individual elements that would sound cheesy on their own, but they somehow come together to make something fantastic. It does continue the trend of mixing OK lyrics with some really awful ones though - "I'm sick of facebook" and "I'll make them pay/with an IED" stood out on my first listen. It manages to bring in a bunch of 80s pop influences while still sounding original though, and I found it a really entertaining album. Song of I makes me wonder what a Steven Wilson/Trent Reznor collab would sound like.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

No that's probably the single most awesome thing Steven Wilson has ever done

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think it bothers me more with SW because he can write some pretty good lyrics when he tries, and his bad lyrics tend to sound like an old hippy ranting about modern life.

King Crimson, Haken and Riverside have generally good lyrics IMO.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If I only really know their 70's and 80's stuff, but I really like it, is it worth making a big effort to see modern King Crimson?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Well if there's still tickets left by the time I can get them I'll probably try and get to the Cardiff show then, thanks for the encouragement!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

King Crimson have always been the best prog band actually

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

i was under 18 last time porcupine tree came here :negative: so i had to settle for the raven that refused to sing tour. i thought insurgentes was awesome, grace for drowning was bad and raven was pretty good. hand cannot erase and to the bone i have barely listened to so cannot offer opinions on

edit: pineapple thief are the only prog band i really follow anymore and they are great these days with gavin harrison joining them

I feel like you should check out Caligula's Horse based on those opinions.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The new Haken album is solid but it hasn't blown me away like their last two. It's a little heavier but apart from that it sounds very much like another Haken album, and doesn't really have the creativity they've shown before. It's also leaned a little harder into the Dream Theater influence, which isn't really what I want to hear from them. It's still good, and I'm sure I'll listen to it a bunch, but hopefully they have some new ideas for the next one.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm seeing Devin and Haken in Cardiff at the beginning of December, very excited. I bought the tickets before finding out Haken were supporting and it made me twice as excited.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Seeing Devin Townsend and Haken tonight, my first big gig in decades. Hoping I don't get too much off the albums between Ghost and Empath (which was a massive return to form IMO), but I'm sure I'll enjoy it whatever they play. Haken can play anything, I don't think they've put out a sub par album yet.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

GORDON posted:

Got tickets to see Devin Townsend next month.

Enjoy, I saw him end of last year and it was an amazing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

85% of his vocals were borderline unlistenable anyway, he's a living example of why technically proficient and skilled are not the same thing