Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

How is his live show?

I'm a passing newbie PT fan (I really like that stuff on Staircase Infinities though), but really haven't dug in to the solo work. I listened to his latest a few times, but nothing really grabbed me. He's playing here in December, and I might go because my brother is a huge nerd for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Prog-adjacent?

Steven Wilson did the Amoeba "What's in my Bag?" thing, except with COVID it's the home edition and he just geeks out on Autechre records from his collection he really digs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbtvzJdKYTc

e: the misspelling of amoeba bothered the gently caress out of me

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 3, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

In the Court of the Crimson King documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg3osMG5yK4

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My brother is a huge prog nerd and Porcupine Tree is one of his favorites. I did the necessary and grabbed two tickets this morning for the Dallas show at the pre-sale. Pretty solid seats too I think, although pricey. Not really familiar with the venue and this will be a road trip for us. Should be fun though.

I like some of Wilson's solo stuff and the few PT albums I've listened to, I dig. I can see how they would be pretty stellar live. BUT, the promo pic is definitely just the three of them. It's been mentioned the bassist is not back for this new material. Do you guys think they tour as a threesome or do they get a ringer to play live with them? It would suck if my (and my brother's) probably only chance to see this band live is with backtracked bass.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It's only 2:55. Have their "singles" EVER been anything special? They are forever a "whole album or nothing" band for me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I was today years old when I learned "L'Via ..." got edited and released as a single. I knew "The Widow" from that record was getting radio play.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I wish Scabdates was on Spotify. Assuming it's the label that never allowed it?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Mars Volta are coming here for the first time since 2008. I'm gonna need to go to this.

Yeah. I signed up to get notified for the Houston on sale. Not super hyped about the venue but I guess WOMH wasn't a big enough room. This dulled the pain of those loving Smile dates for me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

hexwren posted:

so what was the eighth record in the cartoon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present_(Van_der_Graaf_Generator_album)

I started to bug me so I had to search for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Assuming you're talking about that Is There Anyboy Out There? two disc thing and not the [i[Live in Berlin[/i] that Waters did?

You can still get the CD from Amazon or probably your local record store. I don't think it's on streaming though.