Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was wondering if any Genesis fans knew any details about Phil Collins taking over on vocals when Peter Gabriel left. I don't think he sang on any of the previous albums. Did they audition other singers first? Did he just up and tell Mike & Tony, "hey I can sing by the way"? Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Excellent, thanks!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Emerson Lake and Peter (Criss) :downs:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The mention of Adrian Belew reminds me of my favourite prog video, a live version of Thela Hun Ginjeet he did when he was in King Crimson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dJ-z6rJd8

I like it way better than the album version.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I want to fill up my collection with more vintage prog rock, so if anyone has suggestions for what to add to my itunes wishlist, feel free (well ok, my cduniverse wishlist also, since it doesn't seem like you can get King Crimson stuff from iTunes). Here's what I have so far:

Yes: Fragile, Close To The Edge, The Yes Album, Astral Traveller
King Crimson: Red, Discipline, In The Court...
Soft Machine: Bundles
Genesis: Foxtrot, Abacab, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Rush: Chronicles
Wishbone Ash: Argus (I also have Wishbone Four, but it doesn't really sound "prog" to me...heck, Uriah Heep sounds more prog than they do, but I included it just in case)
Steve Hackett: Voyage of the Acolyte
Dixie Dregs: 20th Century Masters
Marillion: Misplaced Childhood
UK: UK

So I don't have any Jethro Tull or Renaissance or Gentle Giant, plus who knows what else I'm missing. Also, please note the emphasis on "vintage"...I'll fill up on more modern stuff later. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

carborexic posted:

Your list needs some Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I'd recommend "Emerson Lake & Palmer" and "Tarkus"

Yeah, this is true. I've always been kind of averse to their lack of guitar, but that's a silly reason. Plus Lake is a pretty sweet bassist.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

iamathousandapples posted:

Kansas should be on there. Point of Know Return and Leftoverture are great albums. Also consider getting Selling England By The Pound or Trick of The Tail over Abacab.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I do have a greatest hits album of theirs, but I could probably benefit from some of their individual albums.

Smekerman posted:

I'm also seconding replacing Abacab. That's not even prog :( Grab Trick of the Tail if you want the Collins-era Genesis represented in your album collection. Or hell, if you want the pop era represented, get Duke instead. Abacab is kind of awful all around.

Actually I like Abacab quite a bit. Despite their descending into pop (especially on No Reply At All), there's some pretty experimental stuff on there like Dodo/Lurker and Who Dunnit.

Also, to get out of vintage mode for a second, would King's X be considered prog at all? They're kind of poppy, but their arrangements and harmonies are a bit more complex than your average pop record.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

Also, add "Selling England by the Pound" to the Genesis list. If I hadn't started with that album, I'd probably never have gotten into them. Maybe take off "Abacab" (as mentioned) - I think it's a fine album and one of the best of the post-Gabriel era, but it's only as "prog" as 90125.

I LOVE 90125

No just kidding, it's a pretty bland record :downs: Anyways, I forgot to mention that I also intend to get King Crimson's "Lark's Tongue In Aspic" and "Starless and Bible Black." Are any of their DVDs worth getting?

I'm also a big fan of 70s fusion (Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Headhunters, Allan Holdsworth, 11th House, etc.) and I notice that the two genres can sound pretty similar at times. I think if you played someone Return To Forever's "Romantic Warrior" and Yes' "Fragile" next to each other, they'd probably assume that it's the same genre of music. I suppose the main differences is that fusion tends to emphasize improvisation and prog is more likely to have vocals. Fusion in the 70s tended to be more willing to add elements of funk, as well.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Smekerman posted:

For Gentle Giant, you could probably just err on the side of caution and just go with Free Hand, which is fairly accessible (for Gentle Giant) and also happens to be one of their better albums.

I recently picked up the album that Tony Levin did with David Torn and Alan White, so I'm not a person who worries about accessibility :) I even have both Bozzio-Levin-Stevens albums. That said, Free Hand isn't on iTunes so I'll check CD Universe for it.

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: Be aware that this is '80s King Crimson, though, so it'll be a bit jarring if you're expecting Schizoid Man or something. It's far, far better than what just about any other old guard prog band was doing at the time, but their sound has got just as much in common with Talking Heads as with their old material.

I really liked Discipline, so I don't think 80's King Crimson is such a bad thing. Adrian Belew is the man who made King Crimson funky.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Just got a note in my email from Bass Player magazine that apparently Yes will be playing through some of their classic albums on tour:

"This year’s Bass Player Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Chris Squire will be hitting the road with Yes in 2013 to perform the band’s The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, and Going For the One albums in their entirety. YES, indeed!"

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/yes-to-perform-three-classic-albums-each-night-on-2013-tour/150148

I haven't been to a concert in a while, so I think I'm going to go out of my way to see this.

Also, thanks to this thread I was also able to pick up a few more Genesis albums (Selling England By The Pound and A Trick Of The Tail). It was getting kind of boring listening to the same three albums all the time. The iTunes version of Trick of the Tail also has a video with interviews with Phil, Steve, Tony, and Mike about making things work after Peter left...it's pretty cool!

I also picked up "Moving Waves," by Focus - not sure if they're considered prog or not, but it's a great album. Also got Aqualung and Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull. I did grab the self-titled ELP album, but I disliked seeing that it came with a bunch of redundant "alternate take" tracks. I'm not a fan of this, as the takes really don't seem to have that much to differentiate them and listening to the same songs repeatedly is boring. Still a great album though!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Wow, that 2011 video is pretty drat bad. Not jut the slowdown and the lack of energy but it's pretty sloppy and the vocals and harmonies are hit-and-miss at best. Steve Howe is still fun to watch, though...he looks like The Mad Scientist Of Prog. The keyboardist (Wakeman Jr., I guess?) is pretty good.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I've been going through the recommendations given me in this thread and I've picked up "Stained Glass Stories" by Cathedral - what a great album! I'm really digging it so far, I like the aggressiveness of the rhythm section. Being a bass player myself, I always like hearing cool bass guitar sounds and this guy has a nice just-overdriven-enough tone, sounds like it could be a Rickenbacker. I did a bit of digging and apparently they only recorded that one album. Well, until recently that is - seems like they eventually got back together and did at least one more album and have a Myspace page going. It's difficult to look for stuff on them though, because there's apparently a metal band named "Cathedral" as well.

Also, apparently Chris Squire and Steve Hackett have formed a band. They've decided to call themselves..."Squackett" :psyduck: Only in prog, ladies and gentlemen. Anyways, I picked up their album, "A Life In A Day" and it's not too bad. It's a bit bland in places but overall the songwriting seems fairly solid. Anyone else give it a listen?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was quite interested to find out that Christian prog rock is actually A Thing. Being a Christian myself I like to have at least some kind of sanctified music in my library but although my wife loves Hillsong, Casting Crowns, etc., I just find the stuff so boring. I picked up Neal Morse's "Sola Scriptura" album and it was a really great listen, lots of interesting ideas pop up throughout, it never gets boring. Also, as it turns out, no he's not related to guitarist Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple), although they did play on an album together.

On an unrelated note, I picked up Rush's "Snakes and Arrows" recently and really liked it. What's the general consensus on "Clockwork Angels"? Better or worse?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

My understanding is that the first few Genesis albums are not so great, however - confirm/deny

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

RDreamer posted:

Morse can get a little bit too irksome for my taste at times, but Sola Scriptura is pretty good. I think I like "?" better, though.

I actually picked up the Flying Colors album today and it's really good. Lots of strong tunes on that one. I tend to like anything with the other Morse (Steve) on it, though.

Hawklad posted:

If you're looking for classic Yes/ELP-sounding Christian themed prog you might enjoy Glass Hammer?

Yeah I added some of their albums to my itunes wishlist so hopefully I'll get around to it soon. Then again, my itunes wishlist has 312 albums on it, so I really have to prioritize :smithicide:

Since I write songs myself, I'm kind of interested in the early Genesis stuff - since Peter Gabriel is an interesting lyricist and seeing his take on Christian themes might be cool. However, nothing I've heard about "From Genesis To Revelation" encourages me to go near it. Actually thanks to this thread, I have lots more good Genesis stuff - A Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound, and soon Nursery Cryme. This is in addtion to already having had Foxtrot and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which I've been listening to a lot lately. TLLDoB is such a great album, I think it's in my top 10, not just for prog, but for all-time favorites.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I did preview some of the "From Genesis To Revelation" on iTunes and I have to admit that it's not nearly not as bad as I was led to believe. I may actually pick it up, although I have no intentions of becoming a Genesis completionist. Heck, I'm not even a Rush completionist, and I live in Canada :canada:

Anyways, having said that - I asked previously about vintage prog recommendations and I got some really good suggestions. So now, how about modern prog? I don't own any currently, except I guess that one Neal Morse album. So please, feel free to suggest awesome modern prog stuff that I can add to my iTunes wishlist!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sounds good, how about Dream Theater? Any must-haves from them? Also, I see this Steven Wilson fellow posted here and there but admittedly I know nothing about him...any recommendations? Finally, I've also - because of Neal Morse - heard of Spock's Beard, so any recommendations for them would be appreciated too.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, I also got some good recommendations by looking at the list of the Top Prog Albums over at the prog archive site. A lot of the european stuff isn't on itunes but I have enough to keep me busy for now. Also, somewhere on that site, I stumbled upon a band called Oblivion Sun and their album is really quite good. And even though it was one of the "vintage" recommendations, I also picked up Sheherazade by Renaissance and it's a really fantastic album. I'd even recommend it to people who aren't into prog.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Would Uriah Heep count as prog? I figure any (non-power metal) band that sings about wizards has to at least have its foot in the prog door.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Coheed and Cambria? I know I've read reviews that put them down as pretentious, but I think that kind of misses the point. Making fun of prog for being too pretentious is like making fun of Frank Zappa for being too sarcastic or KISS for being too gimmicky.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Indeed, but Howe is, I think, a severely underrated guitarist. He's very versatile, plays well in a number of genres, and is equally imaginative in his rhythm guitar parts as he is with his leads. He seems to have extensive chordal knowledge as well. He may not blaze through solos like a Steve Vai or someone, but he's always been a fascinating guitarist to me.

I'm actually tempted to pick up his first solo album - I think it's just called "The Steve Howe Album," - but few people seem to have heard it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

Is that the album where he sings himself, and it's wonderfully bad?

That might be his first album, "Beginnings"

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you like Yes, then you should certainly give Cathedral a try. They actually only had one album back in their heyday ("Stained Glass Stories"). It's a knockout, though. They've actually regrouped recently and have a newer album ("The Bridge") but I can't vouch for it, as I haven't bought it yet. The previews I heard on iTunes were promising, though. Also, what's your take on Rush?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

You might want to check out "A Farewell To Kings." It's kind of similar to 2112, but it has a bit more bite to it (in my opinion). If your taste veers more to the avant-garde, you could always give Mars Volta a try if you haven't already.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It's kind of interesting, my cable provider has a bunch of music stations (Galaxie) and I listen to the classic rock one on occasion. They have a surprising amount of prog rock on there, and it's not all Roundabout and Aqualung. They play Yes stuff from Relayer, Close to the Edge, and Yessongs, Genesis stuff from Trick of the Tail, LLDoB, and SEbtP, lots of Rush, Jethro Tull stuff other than the title track to Aqualung, some ELP, lots of Pink Floyd, and early Styx, Supertramp, and Saga (depending on whether you consider them prog). No King Crimson, though.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Looking forward to the NIN rendition of "Oh Daddy."

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Misogynist posted:

These guys are from my town and my boss is actually the bassist for the current incarnation :)

Your boss is Fred Callan? :stonk: Man, if I worked for him I'd ask if I could buy one of those vintage Rickenbackers off him.

quote:

At least this will work out better than Terry Bozzio getting kicked out of KoRn.

Terry Bozzio? In KoRn? And kicked out? For what, being a good musician?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Genesis has always been a very melodic band. As it turns out, that's a handy feature to have in both prog and pop. I agree that they didn't turn into a pop band immediately after Gabriel left, A Trick of the Tail is a prog album through-and-through. Duke and Abacab are much less prog, but they still have a lot of the eccentricities that were prevalent during the Gabriel era.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I just checked out Cathedral's new(er) album, "The Bridge." It's pretty cool, there's some great guitar work on it and the bass and drums are well recorded and really tight. I don't know if the songs are as good as in "Stained Glass Stories," but they're still very interesting to listen to. I still can't get over their discography, though: Stained Glass Stories (1978), The Bridge (2007). Two albums, thirty years apart. Even their "new" album was six years ago and they don't seem like they're in a hurry to do another.

I also got "English Electric, pt 1" by Big Big Train and I thought it was just kinda mehhhh. People have said that they have a big Genesis influence going on, and I can hear that, but to me they sound quite a bit more like Marillion - who I also can't seem to get into. Maybe I just need to listen to it more, but that's what I said about "Misplaced Childhood" and it still doesn't really seem like my cup of tea. I don't mind when prog is more pop-oriented but both of these bands seem kind of bland to me. Then again, maybe I should check out more than just one album from each.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

LordPants posted:

I listened to Moving Pictures and I decided I don't really like Rush very much. So I go "well, I guess I should listen to some of their 'bad' material to be sure."

Turns out I really like Caress of Steel. Very strange.

Rush has a bunch of different "stages," so if you don't like one of their albums, there's a good chance you might like something else by them. It's a little like finding out where to start with Frank Zappa.

So I guess I'll add some more Marillion albums to my wishlist, I could certainly stand to give them a chance. Maybe I'll look into "Marbles" first.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

LordPants posted:

Starting with Zappa is Over-nite Sensation and Hot Rats, right? Or have times changed since that was the default start point.

Believe it or not, my first Zappa album was "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch." It was so off the wall, exactly what I was looking for. I then got "Apostrophe," which I loved even more and I borrowed "Zappa In New York" from a guitar teacher. So I guess that was a very atypical route, but it sure made me a Zappa fan.

Seventies-era Zappa very evenly straddles the line between prog and fusion, though. He has just enough improvisation to be fusion, but just enough arranging and high-minded concepts to be prog.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've always meant to check out Man From Utopia due to Steve Vai being on it, but I guess I can pass. Besides, Vai's real gem is "Flex-Able." The songs are too short to be prog, but I love the whole "weirdo in his budget basement studio" vibe from that album.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've read all of the Real Frank Zappa book more than once, and I'm pretty sure he never made mention of it there.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Right now I'm listening to" Felona e Sorona" by Le Orme. You know you've really gone down the rabbit hole when you start listening to obscure European prog from four decades ago :allears:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

A concept like that certainly sounds like it falls into prog territory. I don't know myself, but if you're interested enough you could go through this list I found in a google search:

http://io9.com/5906834/top-100-essential-albums-for-science-fiction-fans

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I would argue that Genesis was a good band for most of their career. Their pop stuff is mostly good music, even if prog fans are less enthusiastic about it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

I'm also of the opinion that (Peter Gabriel excepted) a self-titled album as anything other than your debut is a bad sign. If it's a genuine rebirth/return to form, the music should speak for itself and not require such a presumptuous title.

What, even The Beatles? Granted, it's been given the nickname "The White Album," but obviously they didn't have that in mind when they released it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Bitches Brew by Miles Davis uses two drummers and it's awesome. Granted, it's fusion, but fusion and prog are kind of close cousins anyways.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So payday is here and I was thinking of ordering some CDs that I can't find at iTunes or my local record store. Any thoughts? As in, are any selections outstandingly better than others? Any stinkers in the list?

Anglagard - Hybris

Adrian Belew - Side One

Caravan - If I Could Do It All

Khan - Space Shanty

Nucleus - Elastic Rock/We'll Talk About It Later

Saga - Beginner's Guide To Throwing

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

Most of this stuff I got from a list at ProgArchives, so I dunno. I was also thinking of getting "Velvet Darkness" by Allan Holdsworth. I know he hates the album, but I used to have it on cassette ages ago and I recall liking it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've never heard any Canterbury stuff before, so I'll take this as an opportunity to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Which is the one that he did with the Slick siblings? I seem to recall that I was only able to find it on his website, but I can't quite remember.