Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
A is a halfway decent album, and I recommend getting a copy with the Slipstream DVD. Under Wraps #2 is one of my favorite Jethro Tull songs, or at least one of the ones that gets stuck in my head the most. Dot Com is pretty good but not something I feel compelled to revisit, and the Christmas album is in my holiday playlist every year. Those are all the kind words I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Amarok. It's infamous for being the album he engineered to be as uncommercial as possible to spite Richard Branson, but it's also excellent.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
That was probably a big part of why I got into prog too. Not just Final Fantasy, but Castlevania, and countless other prog-influenced game soundtracks.

Motoi Sakuraba was the keyboardist for Japanese prog band Deja Vu before he started doing game soundtracks. I particularly love his soundtrack album for the widely hated PS1 RPG Beyond the Beyond, which I strongly suspect was a solo album he was working on that he repurposed as a game soundtrack. Even if I'm wrong, some of the themes most prominently featured on the album weren't even used in the game, so you may as well not even call it a soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sac4Mwad_PI

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Solstice has a code that lets you max out your lives and potions every time you use it, and I still couldn't beat the game when I was a kid. It's a big complicated maze full of infuriatingly difficult jumps, and you can finish it in <20 minutes if you know where everything is, but it's always been one of the best-looking NES games, and I still kinda like it.

The SNES sequel Equinox is better (but still really loving hard) and has some gorgeous atmospheric music, but nothing like the Solstice title theme.

There's also Lumo, an indie game on Steam that's a spiritual sequel to Solstice, and it's pretty decent from what I've played.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 9, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm so thrilled they're playing Breathless live now. I've always thought of it as a superior alternate version of Red.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
What are the Porcupine Tree songs Steven Wilson hates?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Vulture Culture posted:

All the times I've connected Tarkus to Nobuo Uematsu, it never occurred to me until this morning that an animal tank features prominently in the Squaresoft canon in a different game that Uematsu worked on

I feel like I should know exactly what you're referring to here, but I can't remember.

I found an unexpected ELP reference in Dance Dance Revolution of all places. There's a track called "The Least 100sec" that is very obviously based on a part of Karn Evil 9.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 4, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Pawn Hearts was where I started, but I found Man-Erg really goofy and off-putting, and it turned me off the band for a while.

Godbluff is the album where VdGG really clicked for me, and might be the only one that I feel doesn't have any weak moments. Also as far as individual tracks go, the first one I heard that I really loved was the cumbersomely named Cat's Eye/Yellow Fever/Running from The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Quantum Fantay and Hidria Spacefolk are both very Ozrics-like. And of course most elements of Ozric Tentacles' sound are derived from Gong, especially the album You.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 10, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Eh, I honestly don't care for it that much. It's a bit too busy and feels disconnected from the vibe of the original track in the way that rerecorded parts often do, and the beginning and ending sections really didn't need an added drum part.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Newsom was inspired by Roy Harper's album Stormcock, so that would be my first recommendation—it meets all of those criteria. I'd also look into psychedelic and progressive folk in general. First Utterance by Comus is essential.

Renaissance didn't really have dense, esoteric lyrics, but they excelled at everything else you listed, and I think you'd enjoy them, even if they're probably a bit lighter in tone than what you're looking for. I recommend starting with either Novella or Turn of the Cards, but I'd recommend without reservations all of their albums from Ashes are Burning through A Song for All Seasons.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Hahaha, I can perfectly imagine O Superman sung in his voice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
There's a ton of good live stuff from '72-'74, but here are the most essential, I think:

The Night Watch - As a whole, probably the single best recorded show from this era. More than half of the live material on Starless and Bible Black was taken from this show.

USA - Contains the excellent Asbury Park improv, the heavier version of Exiles the lineup performed in its later days, and most importantly—and not on the original release of the album—the best version of Starless ever.

Live at the Zoom Club, 1972 - A rough-sounding bootleg (maybe not quite as bad as Earthbound), but very listenable on a good stereo. This is this incarnation of King Crimson's very first show, and the best, most complete document of the band with Jamie Muir that exists. If it seems a bit daunting, you need to at least hear the Fallen Angel improv.

Rust Martialis posted:

1980-1984 era - Absent Lovers 2CD (Live in Montreal)

But if I had to pick a single best live album from the entire history of King Crimson, it's this. This performance is so magical that Waiting Man, a track from Beat that I did not particularly care for on the album, ended up being the best part of a show that has no weak moments.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 10, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I like A Smart Kid the best from Stupid Dream, and though there really isn't any Porcupine Tree album I love in its entirety, Lightbulb Sun comes the closest.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
1981-1984 is one of the very best eras of King Crimson, and Absent Lovers is one of the greatest live albums I've heard by any band.

On opposite ends of the progressive rock spectrum, but I think Camel and Art Bears both released their best albums in 1981.

Magma were going through this strange (strange for Magma, and strange for anyone) R&B and disco-influenced phase, and Retrospektiw III, Concert Bobino 1981, and Merci are all worth a listen.

I guess IQ were pretty good, and The Wake is better than anything Marillion did before Clutching at Straws.

Can I get away with calling Dead Can Dance prog? Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is my favorite prog album of the '80s if they count.

Also in the category of not technically counting but I really want them to—Talk Talk. Spirit of Eden is a masterpiece, and I think is generally considered to be the first post-rock album.

Edit: Forgot to mention Thinking Plague. In Extremis and A History of Madness are my favorite albums by them, but all their '80s stuff is really good too.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 18, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

DoubleCakes posted:

I revisited Abacab from Genesis yesterday and after it mostly not leaving an impression after listening to it a few times over 10+ years, it's starting to click with me. The big standout is "Keep It Dark" which has that deep guitar lick on the rhythm. Yeah, Abacab is pop rock but its still pretty proggy and I'm ready to embrace the later era Genesis. Even if I don't like the albums as much as Lamb Lies Down or Trick, they're still pretty solid and very listenable.

Me & Sarah Jane is one of my favorite songs of all time, and I've always loved Keep It Dark too. If it didn't fall apart after Dodo/Lurker, I'd consider Abacab among Genesis's very best albums, prog or not.

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't love their stuff initially. I have to contemplate and come back to it.

This is kinda how I've always been with Genesis too. I think the only Genesis album I totally loved the first time I heard it (and the one that really got me into Genesis to begin with) was A Trick of the Tail, which might not even be among my top 3 Genesis albums today. ...Or maybe it still is, because Entangled alone is that loving good.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 3, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
If it's just Naminanu, Submarine, and the tracks from the 3x3 EP, they're all on the Extra Tracks disc from the 1976-1982 boxset. I forgot that Genesis released two EPs during this time, so between those and the B-sides, there's almost an hour of non-album tracks here that I've mostly never heard before.

Just started listening on the way to work today, and Paperlate feels like it could've been on Abacab instead of (or in addition to) No Reply At All. It's not a great track, but a hell of a lot better than Who Dunnit anyway.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 7, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Is there a good amount of live material from Interview in listenable quality then?

Edit: Durr, missed the tracklisting. A few performances of Interview and Timing, at least. I'm interested in that Power and the Glory-era performance of Mister Class and Quality? though. One of the weakest tracks on Three Friends, but still, I didn't know they'd performed it live at all.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 8, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

DoubleCakes posted:

I wasn't expecting OSI's self-titled debut to do anything for me but that was through and through a magnificent prog metal/rock album. It reminded me of the creativity of something like those early prog masterpieces although "Shoutdown" was OSI's lowpoint.

I don't think Shutdown hurts the album too badly, but between it dragging on and on, and the Steven Wilson vocals, I've misremembered it as a Porcupine Tree song in the past, haha. I still really love When You're Ready and Hello, Helicopter!

Space-Dye Vest (from Awake) was Kevin Moore's best work with Dream Theater, and has a very OSI feel, so definitely listen to that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Paladinus posted:

Pure Reason Revolution are reuniting for a new album. Hope I'm not the only one excited about it. Would love to see them live someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlKj5u_SJ8

That's loving amazing news. I was just saying the other day, what a shame there won't ever be another PRR album.

I've probably listened to Amor Vincit Omnia in my car more than any other album ever.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Paladinus posted:

I've heard differently, but then again, people often overlook things like that in live performances if the general energy at the concert is great. Plus the band have more experience now.

When I saw them live, they definitely had trouble keeping their vocals in tune, to the extent you really couldn't overlook it. You don't have to take my word for it.

In retrospect, that was a really cool setlist I did not fully appreciate at the time, my experience with them limited to listening to The Dark Third once or twice. It looks like they debuted Victorious Cupid on their European tour earlier that year, but this was either the first or second time they would have played Deus ex Machina. (setlist.fm says first, but there's no recorded setlist from the previous day's show in Philadelphia, and I assume they would have played it then too.) The only time I can say I heard music from one of my favorite albums before the album existed.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mars Volta bassist Juan Alderete is in a coma after a bike accident:

https://www.theprp.com/2020/01/24/n...cycle-accident/

gently caress. Hoping for the best, but looking up the type of TBI he has, it sounds really bleak.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 25, 2020

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I can't say "The Dark Third, but more metal" was the direction I was expecting them to go, but I'm intrigued. Not totally in love with this track at first listen, but it's good, and probably something I'll really appreciate in the context of the album.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Not trying to be lovely about this, but could you please post whatever this is in reference to instead of making everyone who reads your post wonder who just died?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I honestly hadn't realized the sheer breadth of Rieflin's work until this past week. I knew he was in Ministry, but didn't realize he was Ministry's drummer when they were at their absolute peak, that he was in Swans, etc.

tote up a bags posted:

I can't believe I get to post this in 2020, but Pure Reason Revolution's album just dropped and it's really, really good.

Gonna order this later today and wait for the physical copy, if I can stand to. Also, considering they would have decided upon it months ago at least, that is an amazing title for an album released at this particular moment in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Finally got around to listening to the new PRR album, and... as a whole, I don't love it yet, but it's a lot better than Hammer and Anvil (everything's written by Jon Courtney again, thank God). It's very much a prog metal album in contrast to their previous albums, where I think they blurred genre lines more interestingly and effectively, and some of it feels a bit aimless and longwinded like the weakest parts of The Dark Third. Lyrically and thematically, it feels almost bizarrely relevant for an album released in the midst of a pandemic it wouldn't have been inspired by.

Hope they've still got some more albums in them and we don't have to wait another decade for the next one.