Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Orbital Sapling posted:

In the same vein, Goblin has some cool stuff. I actually discovered these dudes while watching the original Dawn of the Dead, the music impressed me so much I actually went out of my way to see who did the music. I never do that.

You need to watch some Dario Argento movies from the 70s and early 80s. Goblin did most of the music for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

If Fracture actually was an improv, that would make it more awesome.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Iucounu posted:

This live clip with Benoit David is very cringe worthy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Bp7uUFSTus#t=126s

That's pretty much is what I sound like when I sing along with Yes. That's not good.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

The thing about Jon Anderson, is that he sings high because he has a high speaking voice. It's less of a strain for him. Your average Joe trying to consistently sing like Jon Anderson can't last forever.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey guys I've been checking out Rush, Yes and King Crimson. I'm pretty new to the genre... Where should I go from here? What are some essential Prog bands?

Get Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's album Tarkus. I don't really get into a lot of their stuff, but the song Tarkus is really cool (and it's something like 20 minutes long).

Mithra6 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 24, 2012

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Holy poo poo I just got the remasters to "In the Court of the Crimson King", "In the Wake of Poseidon", "Lizard", and "Starless and Bible Black". I haven't heard Starless yet.

These really sound AMAZING. You have to understand - I've been listening to these since I was a kid in the 70s. I was a weird kid. These sound better than than they ever have. "Lizard" as was mentioned here earlier is really striking. It has a lot more "presence" to it. The vocals are clearer than they've ever sounded. For some reason I was also struck by the drums in "21st Century Schizoid Man" and the background woodwinds in "I Talk to the Wind".

I thought the 30th Anniversary editions sounded good, but the new ones make those sound like poo poo. It's like I've been listening to them underwater for decades, and now I can hear what they really sound like.

I don't usually make a big deal about a lot of remasters, but these are something else.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

All I can say is I've been wanting this for a long time, and I didn't even know there WAS extra material.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

A neat (and fairly well-known, I guess) bit of trivia regarding Renaissance—the band's entire lineup changed in between their second and third albums. I can't think of a single other instance where that has occurred.

One band that comes to mind, though not prog, is Christian Death. The entire band except the lead singer left after the first album. Then after the second or third alum the lead singer left, and the band recorded for a few more years with no original members.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That is so weird. How can they even keep the same name if it's a completely different band?

I have no idea. It was awkward when the original lead signer reformed with the original guitarist and drummer. I can't remember what they called themselves.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/derail

While we're posting links, here's a cool 1973 performance of King Crimson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCed47HdRu8

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

The Flaming Lips and some guests recently did a track by track cover of "In the Court of the Crimson King". I don't think they're selling it. All I know is that it was provided through their internet radio station. I was only able to find it through :filez:

If you like their version of "Dark Side of the Moon", it's a very similar style. I like it.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Ah thanks. I looked at the Lips' site and couldn't find anything.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

david puddy posted:

I am currently working through buying King Crimson's catalogue, so far I have got In The Court Of The Crimson King, In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues In Aspic and Starless And Bible Black. I love them all except Islands (which I still enjoy, just not as much) and I am planning to get Red when I can find a copy. I want to know if it's worth spending money on anything post-hiatus, I have heard good things about Discipline but I am not as willing to go and just buy them on sight like I have with this first era's albums. Are they just as good? Better? Anything I should skip? etc

Discipline kicks rear end. Seriously.
Beat is great, but not as good.
Three of a Perfect Pair is not quite as good as Beat, but it has its moments.

Thrak is amazing, and I personally love their last album, "The Power to Believe". "Construkction of Light" is nice, but it doesn't seem to stick with me. Probably the worst album of the Belew era.

edit: 80s Crimson on up to the "present" day is a different ball of wax from the early stuff. 80s Crimson is complex with interlocking guitars with some pop elements in a weird way. 90s Crimson and forward is a harsh loud beast.

edit #2 (sorry): Many people consider the Discipline/Beat/TOPP lineup to be second only to the Larks' lineup. They are very different though. The 80s lineup has some Talking Heads influence happening, and Fripp is generally less distorted. It sounds clean, intricate, and complex. Buy Discipline. You'll thank yourself.

The first two concerts I ever went to were Talking Heads in 1983 and Crimson in 1984. Ahhh good times.

Mithra6 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 19, 2012

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I might be an odd one here in this thread. I'm a King Crimson boy all the way. I have everything they've done, and have most of Fripp's solo albums and most of his appearances in others' albums. Fripp can't go wrong in my book.

Where I differ I think from many people in this thread, is I can't stomach almost anything ELP did except Tarkus. I sort of like early Genesis a little bit, but I get bored, and I have a love/hate with Yes except for a few songs (Close to the Edge, Roundabout, and few scattered songs here and there). I've really tried to like all of these guys more and I can't. Every so often I put on an ELP or Genesis album thinking that I'll hear it differently. I've tried to listen to most of the NeoProg bands like Porcupine Tree and same thing.

Basically I'm a very finicky prog fan.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Santa (at least that's what the label on my present said) brought me the big Lark's Tongues boxed set. I just heard the remaster itself, and it sounds waaaaaaaaay clearer than before. All the muddiness is gone.

This will be a Larks' Tongues day. Only 14 CDs to go.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Jesus, a 15 CD box set of one single LP? These box sets are getting ridiculously excessive.

Well.... excessive to some!

It has the new mix, the previous remaster, outtakes, DVDs of performances, and about 9 or so live recordings from the period. As a diehard Crimson fan, I've always wanted to hear most of this, and LTIA is probably my favorite album.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Prog Doctor posted:

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Based on all the footage I've seen of them from 2003 onward, they can't play the classic stuff anymore. Chris and Alan just can't play anything to speed anymore, so they slow it down to half the speed it was on the record, and it becomes boring.

Yeah look at this version of "Close to the Edge":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHnbN5eysc

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I'm kind of funny with the oldies. I think a lot of these bands had their heyday and seeing them now is just depressing. Even if they can still play their music it still isn't the same.

I think King Crimson is an exception because they've changed so much, it's like seeing a new band each time.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

That's more of a Fripp thing I think. Notice in their last major tour, they didn't play much from THRAK either.

I think Fripp doesn't want to play things that were written by different musicians, or (in the case of THRAK) where half the band is missing. KC also didn't play much from their first four albums during the Wetton period except for the few case of 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

In the new issue of Mojo, there is a cool interview of Fripp.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

That is possibly one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Yet at the same time :3:

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Bob's a human fly. Buzz buzz buzz

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I hope it's better than Scarcity of Miracles. I didn't like that very much.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I have less of a problem with multiple drummers than being worried about the mediocre sound of "Scarcity of Miracles". What gives me hope is that Crimson often sounds different than non-Crimson material played by its members.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Also some early Soft Machine, Silver Apples (it's all kinda weird thumpy music). Oh and T. Rex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I'll clear everyone's brain now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kSJIHtOeY