Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Trees and Squids posted:

Oh wow, there's a new Änglagård album. I did not see that coming. I'm only about 5 minutes in but yep, this is what I've been hurting for.

Thanks for posting this! I just discovered them through this thread. So far, this tops their debut. The first track I listened to was a 15 minute number that would have sounded right at home on "In the Wake of Poseidon". Some of the same scary Mellotron sounds from "The Devil's Triangle".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
They certainly had some strong P's to select from:

Emerson, Lake and Peart
Emerson, Lake and Portnoy
Emerson, Lake and Pridgen
Emerson, Lake and Perkins
Emerson, Lake and Paice

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Man, talk about missed opportunities. Emerson, Lake, and toddler Thomas Pridgen hitting all those drums, having a great old time.

Including Pridgen was totally Trevor's idea.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Has anybody here listened to the Larks' Tongues 40th anniversary edition? I am especially curious about the alternate mixes done by Wilson. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (cd/dvda).

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Thank you kindly for your thoughts. I have the 30th edition as well, and have never been happy with the mix. Sounds like Wilson is gonna make me happy!

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Would Uriah Heep count as prog? I figure any (non-power metal) band that sings about wizards has to at least have its foot in the prog door.

I would put them in the same tweener bucket as Wishbone Ash and Family. "Salisbury" is a pretty good attempt at a prog epic, but it doesn't sound like anything else they ever did.

Edit: "July Morning" is really nice as well - it is considered their "Stairway to Heaven". And for the sake of prog chops, Manfred Mann appears, performing a cool Moog solo towards the end.

Cory and Trevor fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 18, 2013

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've always meant to check out Man From Utopia due to Steve Vai being on it, but I guess I can pass. Besides, Vai's real gem is "Flex-Able." The songs are too short to be prog, but I love the whole "weirdo in his budget basement studio" vibe from that album.

Speaking of Utopia, is anyone into Todd Rundgren's Utopia? I've never really gotten into them, although I love Rundgren's solo work.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Thanks for the recommendations. Gonna give those albums a listen.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Prog Doctor posted:

And Utopia is pretty good. My favorite record of theirs is the live one, "Another Live". Definitely check that one out.

Just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. I listened to that one, along with their eponymous debut album, and Ra, and I can't get enough of Another Live!

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
This was posted on Fripp's DGM site:

" although we did have a surreal moment earlier today, when John Wetton was singing away downstairs in my studio, upstairs in Alex's studio, and an all too familiar voice then called out from the front door. How many Wetton's does it take to fill an office!!?? The meeting with John, Jakko, Mel, and Gavin went well. It is possible that those on the guestbook wanting to hear John sing Schizoid Man again may yet get their way - or it may all collapse into a mush of cream cakes, who knows. More on that later"

A greatest hits ProjeKCt tour in the works?

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Iucounu posted:

Nil. I guess is Pat, Gavin, and ???

Bill Rieflin from ministry (confirmed)

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

You might like Van Der Graaf Generator.

I concur. Fripp's guitar can be heard on 2 of their albums (Pawn Hearts and H to the He)

Others you may like:

McDonald and Giles
Anglagard
PFM
Early Genenis - they even used KC's mellotron.

Also check out planetmellotron.com - they have documented every album that featured the 'tron.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Skip the Saga for sure. The rest of the list is good to great, with a lean to the jazzier side of prog.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
^Look under Mister Stormy's Monday selection.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Also confirmed: Unfortunately, No DVD for the 2014 tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
At long last, the footage has emerged! King Crimson miming Cat Food on Top of the Pops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8t4lYNjS0Y