Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Paladinus posted:

I will still always imagine him as a muppet.

Isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Asked in Recommendation Thread but thought I'd ask here as well if that's okay: can anyone recommend me any 1970s style progressive-ish rock on the more jazz/funk/fusion/R&B end of the spectrum?

I am thinking along the lines of Brian Auger & the Trinity or Ginger Baker's Air Force.

Pretty much anything by Brand X.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Here's a cover of the Jethro Tull classic "Witch's Promise" with a female lead:

https://youtu.be/4WXZ3hsde_0

I'm am the biggest of Tull fans, and I found that cover unsettling. It was good, but it's always weird to hear a Tull cover, especially one that wasn't from the early "blues" days.

FWIW, Joe Bonamossa does a pretty good cover of 'A New Day Yesterday'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx-3fiG7mk

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

BigFactory posted:

I'm baffled that Joe Bonamassa has a big(?) career. I'm not un-convinced that he was invented to have inoffensive HD concert footage to play in Best Buys and on HD cable channels.

He's big in Europe. He's also a good guitarist.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

BigFactory posted:

There are lots of "good" guitarists who I never want to listen to. Aping Clapton licks isn't interesting to me.

Well, to be fair, Clapton was a contemporary of Rory Gallagher, Peter Green, Alexis Korner, John Mayall, etc. Bonamassa was influenced by British Blues. It's only natural that his sound would be pretty similar.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

What the hell why does this exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21_bGNsKVo

It's kind of amazing.

Sounds like theme for a Bond film set in Japan.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Heads up all old finnish / scandiprog lovers, finnish newcomer Malady have their sophomore up for listen at soundcloud and out on Svart records on friday:

https://soundcloud.com/svart-records/sets/malady-toinen-toista-cdlp

For fans of Haikara, Wigwam, Tabula Rasa etc. as well as maybe the gentler british prog bands. Less noodling and more just great songs and melodies.

Probably album of the year for me.

This is good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Give me more cool prog youtube vids to add to my faves:

PROG

Joe Bonamassa and Martin Barre make a cute couple.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

What's good in Jethro Tull 80s and onward?

The Broadsword and the Beast and A have a few decent tracks.

Catfish Rising is farily solid
Rock Island is Decent
Dot Com is pretty good

The 80s was a bad time for the Tull. gently caress Crest of the Knave and Under Wraps.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

I do enjoy Anderson's more recent solo material better than the later Tull stuff though. He's definitely embraced prog with his new band. Rupi's Dance and TAAB2 are quite good, and his most recent one, Homo Erraticus may have been the best thing he's done since Stormwatch.

All of this. I liked Secret Language of Birds quite a bit as well.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Edit. :3:

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 23, 2018

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

King Crimson Jethro Tull have always been the best prog band actually

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Internet pays dividends today.

https://youtu.be/-IOKT_sC9ac

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Astrochicken posted:

Queensryche is good, and OM is better than any Dream Theater album. May God have mercy on all of your souls.

:one::one::one:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKi3aQyWqHM

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

holy poo poo, it's Katamari Damacy music

:magical:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Save the vagueposting for Facebook.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Some cool prog folk metal, including a rare Metal Flute Sighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDV_BeAZIUM

Thank you for this. It was extremely cool.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Grudgerm posted:

Tony Levin = best bassist ever.

Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius might have something to say about that.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yowsa, where can I find more albums like Joanna Newsom's Ys?

It hits a lot of my buttons. Specifically:
  • Folk instrumentation
  • Well-thought-out orchestral arrangements (as opposed to some cello hits)
  • Long, meandering songs that aren't repetitive
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo
  • Emotionally expressive vocals

You may like Laurie Anderson. Particularly Mister Heartbreak

Edit: Perhaps you may also consider Joni Mitchell? Give Hejira a spin and see what it does for you.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

I swear I must've heard some Joni Mitchell growing up but I can't pull any to mind so I'll look her up.

It was Big Yellow Taxi. I promise.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

teen bear posted:

very happy to wake up and see every king crimson album up on apple music in addition to the weekly commentary/single

Are you mistaken friendo? I have no such catalogue. Still just the live stuff.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

teen bear posted:

This is what I'm seeing now:

I now have it on Apple Music. It looks like a few albums are already up on Qobuz. Nothing yet on Tidal or Spotify.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

teen bear posted:

very happy to wake up and see every king crimson album up on apple music in addition to the weekly commentary/single

The catalogue is now available on Qobuz.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

FYI: King Crimson catalogue has now fully populated on Spotify, Amazon Music, and Tidal. Qobuz and Apple Music were available weeks ago.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Apparently Spotify missed publishing some of the studio albums. Might be fixed now.

It only took them a day. Took Qobuz a month.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Saw Ayreon's Electric Castle live yesterday. Wasn't expecting to hear Marillion's Kayleigh that night, but it was a pleasant surprise. John de Lancie's rhymed narration was extremely goofy and forced in places, so I'm kind of mixed on this aspect of the show, but other than that it was amazing. Even though it was their fourth show in four days, it was obvious the whole cast were really enjoying themselves. Especially Damian Wilson. The man is almost 50, but is at his peak performance as a vocalist.

I’m an enormous fan of prog, but haven’t listened to a fraction of prog metal, primarily the usual suspects. I had never heard of this album until this post, and it absolutely loving amazing. :tipshat:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

I revisited Abacab from Genesis yesterday and after it mostly not leaving an impression after listening to it a few times over 10+ years, it's starting to click with me. The big standout is "Keep It Dark" which has that deep guitar lick on the rhythm. Yeah, Abacab is pop rock but its still pretty proggy and I'm ready to embrace the later era Genesis. Even if I don't like the albums as much as Lamb Lies Down or Trick, they're still pretty solid and very listenable.

That might be my arc for most Genesis albums though. I don't love their stuff initially. I have to contemplate and come back to it.

Speaking of Genesis, I checked out a newer prog band named Big Big Train, and their sound is very Genesis. The singing and instrumentation are very close to 70's era Genesis. I'll check them out some more because like the original Genesis, I might get into their stuff after returning to it. There's something that draws me back.

Big Big Train is fully exceptional. It's funny that you note the similarity in sound to Genesis, as David Longdon, the lead singer, very nearly became the replacement for Phil Collins when he left Genesis in 1996.

BBT has, within the last year or two, joined my top 10 all-time prog bands.

Notably, the band also includes Nick D'Virgilio, former of Spock's Beard, and Rikard Sjöblom, former of Beardfish, and Dave Gregory of XTC.

Edit: Addendum.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 3, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

hexwren posted:

Illegal Alien is standing behind this post, coughing politely into its fist.

Fortunately, Congo is about to put it out of its misery.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Illegal Alien is a catchy, but dumb pop song with unfortunate 'white guys just discovered reggae' stink on it. Who Dunnit is 3 and a half minutes that feel like an eternity of Phil repeating irritating phrases over Tony playing around with a new synth.

If Who Dunnit had an account in these gay dead forums, it would feature your avatar and title.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Kevin Palpatine posted:

exercising to prog, lol. don't trip over your feet when it switches to 7/8

Prog is perfect for exercise. 3 songs and your hour workout is done.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

Bench Pressing to the Dance Of Eternity is how I ended up with one extremely swole arm and one arm microscopically thin

Is that what you tell people?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

*opens wallet, empties all monies*

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

New Flower Kings did you say?

It’s a bit poppier than I like, but I’ll hope that the rest of the album is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTG_poL6WVM

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

By the way has anyone checked out that grand Odyssey: The Greatest Tale album? I gave it a skim but wasn't feeling it. I just think it's impressive that a handful of prog bands came together and made a nearly four hour album.

I praise the idea, but the band lineup was pretty average.

Edit:

If you want a better example of this kind of thing, I would recommend trying to find "Peter and the Wolf", a prog collaboration featuring the likes of Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, Manfred Mann, Stephane loving Grapelli, Garry Moore, Andy Pyle, Brian Eno, just to name a few. If you can find a copy, it's a great add to any collection.

Edit 2: Someone was kind enough to put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsbzf7uQDs

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 5, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I saw a post on a prog FB group about what he thought were the best albums of the year. I have no idea how good or bad they are but it gives me lots to listen to!

The Flower Kings album was fantastic, but the Big Big Train album was probably the best of the lot.

I can confirm that the Eloy is fantastic as well. DOT is the best DT album in years, and Steve Hackett is the King. The Yes album is pretty good, but nowhere near that good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

On the topic of Prog Metal, the new album by prog metal supergroup Sons of Apollo is pretty solid.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

I just listened to an album from 2016 that somehow sneaked under my prog radar. It's a collaboration between Jon Anderson (Yes...duh) and Roine Stolt (Flower Kings), from a plan that they apparently hatched while doing one of those prog cruises.

It's sumptuous as gently caress. I'm really hoping they do another.

I couldn't really find a single track on YT, so here's like 3 or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwM6rREoOoU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

It's only a UK tour so that's out for me. Still I'm glad they're still doing things together. I'd be interested to see their setlist. I'm really hoping they do a full reunion with Hackett and Gabriel before one of them dies, but that seems less and less likely with each passing year.

Get ready for two exciting hours of non-stop Abacab and Invisible Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Is Collins still wheelchair bound? Strange that they would still go through with this when he's obviously still very sick. Is it permanent?

I think the nerve damage is permanent. Evidently Phil's son, Nick, will be playing drums on this tour.