Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Tsaedje posted:

I figured this thread would be the best place to find people who'd appreciate that there's a full upload of the live performance of Tubular Bells II at Edinburgh Castle on youtube.

The first part is here and there's 6 parts.

As far as I am aware it's only been available on VHS, but I'm willing to be corrected.

I've got it on DVD. It's a flip disc with the live performance of III on the other side.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mike-Oldfield-Tubular-Bells-Live/dp/B00004CZPF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315773362&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

For some reason the Zune store let me buy Sounds That Can't Be Made early last week and have been giving it many listens.
It took a while to grow on me, but I think I agree with those who say it is the best Marillion album since Marbles. Gaza is such a good song, even if the opening guitar feels quite harsh, but then I felt that way about Cathedral Wall.
The only track I am not too keen on at the moment is The Sky Above The Rain, I find it a bit unmemorable.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Montreal is just so cheesy, but I find it charming. I think it's nice to have something that is not particularly meaningful- especially with Gaza around, it makes for a nice counter.

I see Gaza like I do Amarok, disjointed but for the most part each section works. The subject matter is such that the lyrics are likely to be clumsy- I think Tom Waits did the topic best with Road To Peace but Gaza was not a bad attempt, I think it is very touching in places.

I would still rate the epics you mentioned above any of these- plus Neverland, I love that song to bits. But Marbles was just such a standout.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

iamathousandapples posted:

You haven't heard about Marillion.com yet? (it's at the very end) They pretty much did every online thing before every band.

:ssh: Most of the album sucks except for Deserve :ssh:

I like Interior Lulu :(

I also like a number of songs off Radiation and Anoraknophobia. I can't say they are better than Sunlight / Brave / Marbles but I don't think they are terrible albums.

I like a lot of the Fish era stuff too- even Fugazi. I just agree with Steve Hogarth when he says Marillion would have been best off if they had changed their name when he came in (Or at least by Eden / Brave).

Then again, I really like Calling All Stations and wish Ray Wilson had been given more time, so...

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

BigFactory posted:

I think Marillion with Steve Hogarth at the helm is actually a really cool band. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their, say, post-1994 output. Even the duds (maybe Radiation or This Strange Engine) at least have a few good songs. Although I honestly haven't listened to stange engine in forever, it could be total garbage.

Misplaced Childhood is an amazingly terrible album, though. Go back and listen to it again at some point, just for kitch value. Then imagine the strange scenarios in foreign countries you could find yourself in with Kayleigh on softly in the background. And shudder.

This Strange Engine at least has the title track and Estonia. Radiation? eh, I quite like Now She'll Never Know and A Few Words For The Dead. I've been getting more into Happiness Is The Road: Essence lately, I have found it a bit of a slow burner. Brave is brilliant, I have been enjoying watching the live videos on Youtube. I need to see these guys live while i can, h is great!

I have to say I have swung firmly away from the Fish era of late. Straws is still pretty good though.

nthing about Steven Wilson though, Raven is phenomenal. I have also picked up on Phideaux recently, 'Waiting For The Axe To Fall' seems to tickle many of my prog spots.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

hexwren posted:

thankfully, I never listened to that record

I do have a soft spot for Calling All Stations. It took me a while, but I do enjoy the likes of Alien Afternoon and There Must Be Another Way. I won't say its a good album, by any means.

I do think it's a shame that Ray Wilson joined when Rutherford and Banks didn't seem to give a poo poo. I did like some of his live attempts at earlier stuff, both with Genesis and later solo

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Finally got to see Marillion live in Hull. All I can say is that if this is the only time I see them, I can go happy. I got Neverland, which always gets me, thanks to that soaring guitar.

Still not sure what I make of the new song, but it had a lot of energy. I wasn't expecting The Party or The Release, but they worked well enough on the night

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Future Bites has that eye-rolling part where it's just a voice listing a bunch of consumer products

you can't make fun of limited-edition box sets when that's like one of the things you're known for doing. I mean you can, but not when you're as self-serious as SW is about it

That voice being Elton John! I figured it had to be ironic at that point. SW being a big Abba fan, I could almost see him try Eurovision with something like Permanating or some of the no-man stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

Cheetos Magazine? The thread introduced me to them about 5 years ago