Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of filler, is there any filler worth going back to watch? Last I saw was the Yuukimaru / Guren saga. I heard Kakashi's ANBU chronicles was good. Wasn't sure about everyone under infinite tsukuyomi filler though.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "no". The last bit of filler I tried watching was the second chuunin exam arc because I figured there's no way they could gently caress up a tournament arc with a bunch of fights, but I guess they didn't have the budget to animate anything so instead they just ran around in the desert for however many episodes doing absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mymla posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Boruto, even if I understand that it's most likely not gonna be great.

Imo, what they need to do is move away from the godslaying chakramechs and do a more lowkey story, but the chances of that actually happening are slim to none.

I was a bit hopeful that they would at least start with a more low-key stuff, since Boruto isn't exactly a genius, but the latest chapter of the Boruto manga was a bit concerning in that regard. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Torrannor posted:

I was a bit hopeful that they would at least start with a more low-key stuff, since Boruto isn't exactly a genius, but the latest chapter of the Boruto manga was a bit concerning in that regard. We'll just have to see how it goes.

It seems like the Manga and the anime are doing their own thing. In which case the Anime is hopefully going to be the way to go. Because that grimdark Manga poo poo was always the worst for Naruto. Always better when it's just the characters goofing around interacting around low level to medium level threats rather than giant world ending threats with super powered beings.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The only decent filler episode is the one where Naruto pretends to be Sasuke to protect some noble and invents moves like 'SASUKE PUUUUNCH' and 'SASUKE KIIIIICK'.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

The only decent filler episode is the one where Naruto pretends to be Sasuke to protect some noble and invents moves like 'SASUKE PUUUUNCH' and 'SASUKE KIIIIICK'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whjdfA2byU Christ jesus. :allears:

I wonder which direction they'll go with Sarada, that her Uchiha heritage makes her become Edgelord Supreme, or that her lack of a Y chromosome dooms her to perpetual irrelevance.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Huh.

Apparently the last Naruto episode is tomorrow.
I guess I can finally start watching again after I gave up when that moon dream-world filler started (like a year and a half ago I think?).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Huh.

Apparently the last Naruto episode is tomorrow.
I guess I can finally start watching again after I gave up when that moon dream-world filler started (like a year and a half ago I think?).

Huh, so they are ending things on the wedding after all. I guess that means either there's going to be a timeskip midway through the episode or they'll be adapting the last manga chapter at the start of Boruto (which would make sense as it's kind of a parallel to the beginning of the original series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My God, I'm actually a little excited to watch Naruto again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My god, I can finally put naruto to rest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Aside from the new series continuing on from Shippuden (though this one's not explicitly based on a manga so it's more like Naruto's Dragon Ball GT, hopefully it'll be a little better handled though) starting next month, yes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's always Boruto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And with that Shippuden is finally over, kind of strange they didn't end things on Naruto becoming Hokage like the manga did but it was a decent episode none the less. I also kind of liked the Sentai-style handoff they did at the end.

Hopefully Boruto will be good and not the second coming of Dragon Ball GT (though it could be interesting to see what the anime writers come up with when they're given almost complete free reign of the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 23, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh I don't get what people disliked so much about GT. I thought it was just... more dragon ball? Which I guess isn't exactly a good thing, but it's kinda what you should've expected.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
It's over! It's actually finally loving over. 220 + 500 = 720 loving episodes. Holy poo poo. WERE FREE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

It's over! It's actually finally loving over. 220 + 500 = 720 loving episodes. Holy poo poo. WERE FREE

If you don't count the anime exclusive third season starting next month then yes, Naruto as it stands is finally over.

Mymla posted:

Tbh I don't get what people disliked so much about GT. I thought it was just... more dragon ball? Which I guess isn't exactly a good thing, but it's kinda what you should've expected.

It was kind of a half-assed attempt at recapturing the spirit of the original series (what with turning Goku back into a kid and all, which doesn't work as he still has his memories and thus the whole fish out of water angle is gone), also despite the anime writers having free reign to do what they want with the show it just kind of spun it's wheels for a while rather than doing anything substantial with the franchise (though it's been a while since I saw it so I could be wrong). Finally, Toriyama himself doesn't even consider it canon hence the reason Dragon Ball Super has effectively replaced it in the series timeline.

Calling it terrible might be too strong a word but in my opinion it just isn't that memorable of a series and ended up with a lot of wasted potential (I did kind of like the SS4 design to be fair though and Pan wasn't that bad of a character).

Back to Naruto though, the anime did have a few filler arcs I kind of enjoyed to be fair and I liked how they expanded on a few details the manga sort of glossed over (Anko's relationship with Orochimaru and Kaguya's backstory for example not to mention it was basically the only place side characters like Tenten had any real character development, or character at all for that matter.), so overall I'm cautiously optimistic about Boruto so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 24, 2017

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Captain_duck posted:

Dub's still got like, 100 episodes to go! :v:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So I caught myself up on the Boruto stuff, it looks like the current manga has covered whatever the Boruto movie was? I know the new anime is doing an original story, but drat if that 'future look' at the start of the manga wasn't awesome.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm banking on Boruto being the next DBGT so I can ignore it with confidence.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Naruto is finally over, drat. But I'm gonna bullet point some thoughts of my experience doing a marathon of the show:

- Probably the best thing about the series is how each clan / person has a unique power, and how it factors into every fight. I loved that most fights usually had an explanation / strategy going into it, even if they were sometimes long winded. This made Shikamaru one of the better characters because of how strategic he fought.
- The Konoha 11 were great characters as Naruto's posse. The addition of Sai was good, too. Picking Neji to be the sacrificial lamb of them felt odd for a bit, but sort of makes sense when you find out Naruto and Hinata get married.
- I get Naruto's "true power" is that he can make friends with anyone and turn every evil thing good (minus evil shinobi mom) including all the way up until Sasuke, but man I feel like redemption got overused: Kabuto, Orochimaru, Nagato / Pain, Obito, and the moon man from The Last movie.
- It's shonen anime and all, but Kishimoto sucks at writing female character development.
- Holy hell, the filler. I only watched a few, but before following a filler guide it's easy to tell what's filler and what isn't. The plot is disjointed, you can tell the characters aren't going to last, and the arc wraps up in a weird, quick way. I really enjoyed the Yuukimaru / Guren filler, because Guren is a cool ninja, and Naruto learns and uses the water pistol ability (which you never get to see again), but then it wraps up, then suddenly Tobi shows up and steals 3-tails.

If there's a show that deserves a DBZ Kai treatment, Shippuden is up there. Remove all fillers, and flashbacks, and you'd easily trim it down to like 200 episodes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

seiferguy posted:

Naruto is finally over, drat. But I'm gonna bullet point some thoughts of my experience doing a marathon of the show:

- Probably the best thing about the series is how each clan / person has a unique power, and how it factors into every fight. I loved that most fights usually had an explanation / strategy going into it, even if they were sometimes long winded. This made Shikamaru one of the better characters because of how strategic he fought.
- The Konoha 11 were great characters as Naruto's posse. The addition of Sai was good, too. Picking Neji to be the sacrificial lamb of them felt odd for a bit, but sort of makes sense when you find out Naruto and Hinata get married.
- I get Naruto's "true power" is that he can make friends with anyone and turn every evil thing good (minus evil shinobi mom) including all the way up until Sasuke, but man I feel like redemption got overused: Kabuto, Orochimaru, Nagato / Pain, Obito, and the moon man from The Last movie.
- It's shonen anime and all, but Kishimoto sucks at writing female character development.
- Holy hell, the filler. I only watched a few, but before following a filler guide it's easy to tell what's filler and what isn't. The plot is disjointed, you can tell the characters aren't going to last, and the arc wraps up in a weird, quick way. I really enjoyed the Yuukimaru / Guren filler, because Guren is a cool ninja, and Naruto learns and uses the water pistol ability (which you never get to see again), but then it wraps up, then suddenly Tobi shows up and steals 3-tails.

If there's a show that deserves a DBZ Kai treatment, Shippuden is up there. Remove all fillers, and flashbacks, and you'd easily trim it down to like 200 episodes.
Yeah, exactly on the Kai treatment. I felt like the show began (at least once the exam story started) as an interesting "Harry Potter with Ninjas" where Orochimaru was Voldemort and Naruto was Harry. It veered off that path a little when Orochimaru stopped being the villain, but it had the same feeling of following magical students growing up and taking on the world-ending adult problems while the teachers are somewhat helpless.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I just watched the last episode, really felt like they rushed through crap and got too wound up in other filler to focus on what could have been something better. The last five or so episodes of comedy were really really good for me, especially Rock and Guy hand stand running around looking for wedding gifts and it's all animated like some expensive Shin Chan episode. Was always hoping they would have gone with a Naruto needs to find an engagement ring mini arc, then Naruto needs to get the blessing of the Hinata's father but because he's Naruto he constantly fucks it up etc etc, bachelor party episodes favorite characters getting drunk and being funny etc etc, bachelorette party episodes, then actually focusing on the wedding . Oh well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm guessing Boruto's going to start with an adaption of the last manga chapter then (especially since it's kind of a callback to the start of the original series).

It'll be interesting to see how the anime writers handle this as this time they more or less have free reign and the little side plots they introduce now can actually matter in the grand scheme of things. If they can bring things back to the general spirit of the original without half-assing it we could potentially get a decent series out of this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 24, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I have never seen Naruto. I only losely know the premise and that back when they were relevant Bleach vs Naruto fans wars would wage in every comment section related to any of the two.

I came here to see how people reacted to the ending and was fairly dissapointed. Was it not as bad and unfulfilling as Bleach's ending?

Cause if it wasn't I'd count that as a big win for Naruto

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

lezard_valeth posted:

I have never seen Naruto. I only losely know the premise and that back when they were relevant Bleach vs Naruto fans wars would wage in every comment section related to any of the two.

I came here to see how people reacted to the ending and was fairly dissapointed. Was it not as bad and unfulfilling as Bleach's ending?

Bleach's anime was canceled like three years ago or more before the manga even ended.

The manga was given three chapters notice to finish and ended horribly.

Conversely, Naruto got 720 episodes and ended like two years after the manga got its proper conclusion. Say what you want about its quality, but Naruto definitely came out waaaaaaay ahead of Bleach in every respect.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

https://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539716&pagenumber=188

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
You know I'd watch Naruto GT if Boruto wasn't such a little poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That is when the thread hit peak trying to be angry over nothing phase and at least has calmed down somewhat, so it isn't a good indicator.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SirDrone posted:

You know I'd watch Naruto GT if Boruto wasn't such a little poo poo.

Naruto was a little poo poo at first as well, but now he's probably my favorite character in the show.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I'm very late to the Naruto train and just began watching (not Shippuuden) last fall. Three episodes from the end, Netflix lost the rights to the final season so I never actually finished the series. So, at the beginning of February, I signed up for Hulu to watch Shippuuden dubbed. 97 episodes in, it switches to subbed only for the next couple hundred episodes or so. I generally don't mind watching subtitled media, but I have been watching it shortly before bed and can still pay attention to the story as I'm falling asleep if I can find the dubbed media. All of that said, I will never finish Shippuuden at this rate. Is there an updated list of filler I can begin skipping? I'm on ~118 of Shippuuden right now (years old spoiler: Sasuke just killed Orochimaru, or so it seems. I'm watching the episodes shortly after the 3-tailed arc. I bought Naruto Ultimate Storm 4 with all of the DLC a while back and am trying to catch up enough so I could play the game without spoiling it for myself, I saw that Naruto is the Toad Sage so that must mean Jiraya dies and while going through DLC unlocked messages I saw a spoiler about Naruto being the seventh Hokage, so now I'm curious about Tsunade and whoever winds up being sixth Hokage but it looks like a lot of UNS4 might not even be covered by the anime at all. I played the first battle just to see how it runs since they updated it to play at 60 FPS and it is one of the coolest looking games I've ever played.

I also didn't realize Naruto and Shippuuden were two different series when I started watching, so imagine my surprise when I sat through 217 (ugh) episodes only to find out there are 500 more. That's why I need to start cutting out some of the filler. I've been skimming through the old threads as I go through and I get the impression I should be ditching anime altogether and just buy the manga instead.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 25, 2017

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
That first spoiler of yours, regarding Orochimaro, takes place in Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. Playing 4 will spoil quite a bit.

2 ends with a "gravity guy"
3 ends with an bit of Eye Bullshit
4 finished everything and technically ends on the first episode of Botuto

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I hope the Bort Anime animates all of the lead up to the first movie.

Sarada Gaiden was super dumb fun. The big bad was p much Tenten only with a Sharingan.

Sakura's life and relationship with Sasuke is *Chef's kiss*

Just gonna leave this here.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 26, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sarada is kind of slow huh.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What was it again? Karin was Sarada's surrogate but she's genetically Sakura's kid or something?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
No, she just delivered her.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Karin was with Sakura and Sasuke (I think?) on a mission when Sakura went into labor. Karin delivered her, but I can't remember why the dna test Suigetsu did said Karin was the mom.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Kingtheninja posted:

Karin was with Sakura and Sasuke (I think?) on a mission when Sakura went into labor. Karin delivered her, but I can't remember why the dna test Suigetsu did said Karin was the mom.

Karin kept the umbilical cord as a memento.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
And I think they still didn't actually tell Sarada that, at least on screen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

And I think they still didn't actually tell Sarada that, at least on screen.

They need to emotionally torture her somehow, so she can unlock the turbosharingan 4000.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I kind of hope that arc gets adapted in Boruto if only for the comedy value.

But the Naruto anime has been pretty good at adapting almost everything related to the franchise (I think the only thing from the early days that hasn't been covered so far is Kishimoto's original submission for the manga where Naruto literally was the 9-tailed fox) so I don't see why they wouldn't (there's even a few light novels they still haven't touched yet so it's not like they'll be hurting for content in the new series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

waggles posted:

Karin kept the umbilical cord as a memento.

No, Karin kept her own umbilical cord as a memento (apparently that's a good luck thing??) and Suigetsu figured it was Salad's, so he ran the DNA test and saw 100% match (which would mean Salad and Karin are one and the same, not mother and daughter) and thought that meant Sasuke banged Karin.

Suigetsu is the best, basically.

• Locked thread