Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«237 »
Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DasReich posted:

When you say carbine, shotgun, and pistol are there any restrictions as to the type of weapon, say I have a Winchester trenchgun, would that be an acceptable entry as a shotgun? Also is a carbine caliber specific?

Generally .38SPL/9mm and up for pistols, 5.56/5.45 for carbine, 12 or 20 gauge for rifle. Some groups will let you run PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) in a different division for 9mm ARs etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Edit #2: How DARE you snipe my response?!?!? At least I included linked info.

DasReich posted:

When you say carbine, shotgun, and pistol are there any restrictions as to the type of weapon, say I have a Winchester trenchgun, would that be an acceptable entry as a shotgun? Also is a carbine caliber specific?

Some folks like to cosplay their favorite war.

Also, I'd have to go look at the rules again, but I thought it was rifle calibers rather than pistol caliber carbines.

I've heard of WWII style guys shooting M1's, GI issue style 1911', and period pump shotguns.

Never seen it myself.

As the game is still evolving, there are different rules for different stuff, but this link sounds like all the things I've read and heard when discussing 3-gun.

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/...-basicrules.pdf

More or less, you need a .223 or "larger" rifle caliber chambered long gun, a 20 gauge or better shotgun, and a 9x19mm or better handgun.

Edit: BTW, what the hell advantage do "Tactical Pants" give you?? It doesn't look like the belt loops are designed any stiffer than normal and there's no extra knee material. It doesn't even look as heavyweight as denim for material. On the surface, it's cargo pants with wider belt loops.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 29, 2010

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

Me too

You interested in doing something like this, mang? I've never shot any kind of competition before and this sort of thing sounds like fun. I'd be hard pressed to start doing this by myself though.

Where should I look for info on local events and things like that?

Black Stormy posted:

Generally .38SPL/9mm and up for pistols, 5.56/5.45 for carbine, 12 or 20 gauge for rifle. Some groups will let you run PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) in a different division for 9mm ARs etc.

Does that include the G36k? <insert mags-required joke here> All -machinegun poo poo aside, I love the way the 36 handles and would love to run it semi-auto only through a course of fire.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

are people really going to be anal about > .223? that seems to exclude 5.45 AK-74 variants if you are going to go to the letter of the law.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

No, 5.45 is ok. They just don't want shooters using rimfires.

DasReich
Mar 5, 2010

Is the M1 Carbine considered a pistol caliber carbine?

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

NosmoKing posted:

Edit: BTW, what the hell advantage do "Tactical Pants" give you?? It doesn't look like the belt loops are designed any stiffer than normal and there's no extra knee material. It doesn't even look as heavyweight as denim for material. On the surface, it's cargo pants with wider belt loops.

I just meant that all I own are jeans. But jeans are cool, so whatevs.

Gewehr 43 posted:

You interested in doing something like this, mang? I've never shot any kind of competition before and this sort of thing sounds like fun. I'd be hard pressed to start doing this by myself though.

Where should I look for info on local events and things like that?

Does that include the G36k? <insert mags-required joke here> All -machinegun poo poo aside, I love the way the 36 handles and would love to run it semi-auto only through a course of fire.

Yea, I would love to start. I haven't found a repository for this kind of information anywhere. mi3gun.com runs a monthly match in Livingston County. ACTS (American Confederation of Tactical Shooter - sinistralrifleman shoots with the AZ chapter I think) also has a chapter here, and I think they shoot farther out by you. I don't think a lot of matches will let you run full auto, but you might be able to run in semi with it.

Edit: Yea, Livingston Gun Club is 45 minutes for me, and a little over an hour and half for you. ACTS shoots at Centerline of Calhoun County which is ~25 minutes from your shop, or two hours from my house.

Black Stormy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 29, 2010

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Craptacular posted:

No, 5.45 is ok. They just don't want shooters using rimfires.

Elitist assholes <>

I totally understand the reasoning behind it, but I'll be damned if running a 3-gun course with my G22 wouldn't be a ton of stupid fun.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Black Stormy posted:

I wasn't ragging on you, I was asking why the 5.11 people quite literally refer to these items as TACTICAL PANTS!!!.

They're cargo pants with a wide belt loop.

Am I missing what makes them THE TACTICAL!!! for $50?

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

Yea, I would love to start. I haven't found a repository for this kind of information anywhere. mi3gun.com runs a monthly match in Livingston County. ACTS (American Confederation of Tactical Shooter - sinistralrifleman shoots with the AZ chapter I think) also has a chapter here, and I think they shoot farther out by you. I don't think a lot of matches will let you run full auto, but you might be able to run in semi with it.

Edit: Yea, Livingston Gun Club is 45 minutes for me, and a little over an hour and half for you. ACTS shoots at Centerline of Calhoun County which is ~25 minutes from your shop, or two hours from my house.

Now that you mention it, one of the heads of ACTS bought a lower from me during the height of Barackalypse Now. I'd be down for something like that. Centerline is more like 15 minutes from my place. It'd be a hell of a drive for you though. I'm not a member because their charter forbids full auto.

Are there any events at the LGC? My in-laws are in Howell, so I'm sure we wouldn't have a problem heading to that side of the state for a day's event.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Their 3-gun schedule is

code:
Date	        Event	                        Match fee
April 18th	3Gun Match	                $25
May 16th	3Gun Match 	                $25
June 20th	3Gun Match	                $25
July 18th 	3Gun Match	                $25
August 15th 	3Gun Match	                $25
September 19th	Michigan 3Gun Championship **	See App
Unfortunately I have other obligations the first two matches.

They run regular USPSA at this club the first and fourth Sundays of the month.

Edit: Actually, they do steel matches the first Sunday, and normal USPSA the fourth Sunday.

Black Stormy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 29, 2010

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I'm in for a late addition to the PA rear end team. What the hell. I'll see if I can get in on the Topton action.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

I'm in the middle of Alabama, and I can't find any 3-gun matches or clubs anywhere within a reasonable distance. What the hell? I thought this was gun country.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

Clapping Larry

I just want to see G43 entering a match with his belt fed destroyer...

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Did something change with the topton match not taking any new registrations?

"I have 66 teams as of now and will only take teams for the waiting list."

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

He had it capped at 60 teams.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just want to see G43 entering a match with his belt fed destroyer...

Give me some assault drums and a sling, and I'll run the course with a hipped MG34.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Gewehr 43 posted:

Give me some assault drums and a sling, and I'll run the course with a hipped MG34.

There are no extra points awarded for sawing a target in half (but there should be).

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.

Grimey Drawer

Are there prizes for winning these kinds of things or do you just get to feel smug and brag on the internet about it?

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

king of the bongo posted:

Did something change with the topton match not taking any new registrations?

"I have 66 teams as of now and will only take teams for the waiting list."

He opened it up to goon teams to shoot Saturday. Which is AWESOME.

So far it's PA Team, Team USA, and the PA Late-To-The-Party Team, but he'd probably green light you if you want to form another team and join in.

Speaking of which, Absolut_Zero, are we confirmed for this? When do we need to send checks? Who to? DETAILS!!!!

DkHelmet posted:

I'm in for a late addition to the PA rear end team. What the hell. I'll see if I can get in on the Topton action.

PA Late-To-The-Party Team
  • Smiling Jack
  • Roundboy
  • DkHelmet
There. You have a full team for Topton. Now start organizing

gizmojumpjet posted:

Are there prizes for winning these kinds of things or do you just get to feel smug and brag on the internet about it?

Both.

There was another rifle competition the weekend we did Tiger Valley, top prize was $7k, I think.

foghorn fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 29, 2010

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

wilfoy posted:

I'm in the middle of Alabama, and I can't find any 3-gun matches or clubs anywhere within a reasonable distance. What the hell? I thought this was gun country.

http://www.tristategunclub.org/dotn...58/Default.aspx

No idea how far this is for you, but I am a member here and it is a really nice facility. They have matches all the time and a 3 gun every month or 2.

Frankie fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 29, 2010

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

There's 3gun competitions at Douglas Ridge for Washington and Oregoons.

http://www.douglasridge.org/three_gun.html

This is outside of Estacada if you have never heard of the club.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.brm3g.com/ posted:

..the 2010 BRM3G Championship will be designed to test your shooting ability over the natural terrain of the foothills of Kentucky..
- April 23-25

This event is two hours from me, I definitely won't be doing it this year but I will be looking into it for next year. I've just skimmed the surface of their site but it seems like a pretty HSLD 3-Gun competition with some possibly killer (no pun intended) prizes. Entry fee is $245 per person (I think) so it's a bit more pricey than Tiger Valley/Topton.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.

Lipstick Apathy

I don't know if this is a great place to post this, but I'd like to get into competitive shooting and I don't know where to start. I live in PA south of Harrisburg and only own a Ruger Mark 1 and a Haemmerli Trailside both in .22LR (of course). What can I do to start winning mad money to afford more shooty bits to upgrade into higher tournaments? Also, I'm probably not that great of a shot yet, but I can certainly start practicing. I think I know the basics of proper handgun form, and I'm thinking about maybe taking a lesson or something? Any advice would be great so I can become a great ASSman like you guys.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Hot loving drat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

Clapping Larry

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm over in Wisconsin so I'll come over and help link belts.

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Gewehr 43 posted:

My friend, video of this would legitimately make me cream my pants.

The Dog Griefer
Oct 6, 2008

*PKs a dog, takes its collar*

Propagandalf posted:

Disclaimer- thoroughly unqualified opinions here. I have a bunch of gun poo poo bookmarked as 'to do later' and some gear queering is involved. I do not own any of this material, but I have lurked and creepily took notes whenever the questions came up:

Same as you, my interest has spiked after seeing rear end compete and I've got a list of possible gear to queer, but I'm just in the research stage as of right now.

NosmoKing:

The Eagle Industries vest linked by Propagandalf gets really positive reviews and has tons of different configurations ranging from 3 mag AR vest to 6 mag AK and even a vest with both rifle and pistol pouches. Many users cite it is a a great blend of quality, durability and price.

For shotgun, belt side caddies seem to be the rage on the 3-gun circuit. Or just use a Saiga and avoid all this reloading nonsense (Using a Saiga does put you into the "open" category unfortunately.) Check this neat vid from the Noveske shooting team on their reloading style using belt carriers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1TTr25YYuw

A popular dump pouch seems to the Maxpedition Roly Poly which rolls up and velcros into a small package when not in use. I think this is what SinistralRifleman uses because I've been staring at his rear end in his videos.

Like I said though, this is Internet Aggregate Opinion from other users so YMMV, but at least it's a start on what to look for.

emathey
May 18, 2008

The Dog Griefer posted:

Same as you, my interest has spiked after seeing rear end compete and I've got a list of possible gear to queer, but I'm just in the research stage as of right now.

NosmoKing:

The Eagle Industries vest linked by Propagandalf gets really positive reviews and has tons of different configurations ranging from 3 mag AR vest to 6 mag AK and even a vest with both rifle and pistol pouches. Many users cite it is a a great blend of quality, durability and price.

For shotgun, belt side caddies seem to be the rage on the 3-gun circuit. Or just use a Saiga and avoid all this reloading nonsense (Using a Saiga does put you into the "open" category unfortunately.) Check this neat vid from the Noveske shooting team on their reloading style using belt carriers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1TTr25YYuw

A popular dump pouch seems to the Maxpedition Roly Poly which rolls up and velcros into a small package when not in use. I think this is what SinistralRifleman uses because I've been staring at his rear end in his videos.

Like I said though, this is Internet Aggregate Opinion from other users so YMMV, but at least it's a start on what to look for.

I can't tell, is that eagle vest just a generic molle vest with a bunch of pouches preadded? Or are they actually sewn on?

Davon
Dec 31, 2004

SKD Tactical has a pretty good selection of shite from a bunch of good gear makers.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

emathey posted:

I can't tell, is that eagle vest just a generic molle vest with a bunch of pouches preadded? Or are they actually sewn on?
Sewn on.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

... so who do I send my 6x to?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

I owe you all a gear post, I believe.

Weapons:
Carbine: Rock River Elite CAR-4. All RRA, all the time. The fucker has a heavy barrel, though. That's gotta go. I ran a random assortment of PMags and USGI mags, and with the exception of the last carbine stage, I ran 55gn brown bear FMJBT. My sighting setup was an Eotech 552 and an NCStar Aimpoint 3xmag clone in a Larue mount, with a set of rear MBUS and a fixed FSB. I feel that this setup should have been ideal for the match I thought I was running, but it was a bit myopic for the longer-range work we ended up doing.

Pistol: CZ75b (SA) A little odd, here. I ran FSM's standard 75B on the first day, and then afterwards I was a poor workman and blamed his tool, and ran my own 75SA for day 2. There was no detectable difference in performance. Sorry for talking poo poo about your sight installation.

Shotgun: Mossberg 590. This is a pump shotgun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Ran like a champ for me, aced the shotgun stage. Ran like a champ for Numlock too, even after he went for a swim with it. Bestgun.

LBE:
Chest rig: 5.11 MOLLE Chest rig, with various 5.11 MOLLE pouches on. A quad rifle mag pouch, a double pistol mag pouch, and a 6" admin pouch which held shotshells for the first stage, and held whatever else for the rest of the match. There was also a SOG Trident strapped on there, which came in handy for cleaning boots and muzzle devices.

Belt: Some Random Guard Belt, with a Safariland 6285 holster, with a thigh strap from a BLACKHAWK!!! drop-leg bolted on. Flawless retention, flawless draw. On the part of the holster, anyways. I need some work.

Frankensling: this thing was pieced together from the corpses of like 4 different random slings I had, into a 2-point config. Fulfilled its designated role of 'holding the rifle'.

Boogabu
Oct 21, 2009

I'd be very interested in doing one of these if they're kinda sorta close (driving distance). I could fly with checked guns, but oh god TSA would detain me for a week, I feel like. Also work.

The pistol's no problem - I have a G23 and a 1911 (I'd probably go with the G23 unless SA sends me my shipping label to get my 1911's safeties fixed).

I have a PGO Mossberg Model 88 (hey it was free!).

I'd need a long gun - I have an AK-47, but it's kind of meh.

I also have no tactical gear, not even a holster.

EDIT: Those who are looking for TACTICAL PANTS, just grab a pair at a surplus store for $10. Woodland's out of style now, so I'm sure you can find some for cheap.

Absolut_Zero
Dec 23, 2008

A serious misallocation of valuable military resources

foghorn posted:

Speaking of which, Absolut_Zero, are we confirmed for this? When do we need to send checks? Who to? DETAILS!!!!

Well I didn't know I was the one at the helm on this one!

We need to send a check to Topton Fish and Game ASAP, if we haven't already. I'll get in touch with Dean to make sure we're still on the list.

EDIT: Just sent a message, I hope he doesn't think the 5 AM text messaging is annoying, cuz I don't think I can survive the wrath.

FURTHER EDIT: Body of reply as follows: "Yep you're in for Saturday just include the names of all team members and if anything has changed. Thanks"

So foghorn, if you're handling the admin side of the event once more shoot Dean an email when you send the check. If you'd like me to work on this I'd be happy to, just say the word.

Absolut_Zero fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 30, 2010

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Absolut_Zero posted:

So foghorn, if you're handling the admin side of the event once more shoot Dean an email when you send the check. If you'd like me to work on this I'd be happy to, just say the word.

This part I got. Thanks for doing the legwork, man.

PA Team

Gime yo money! Please Paypal $60 to [username]5950@gmail.com and I can shoot Dean his check. Or let me know if you've already paid him.

All other teams
If you want to participate, shoot me a PM or email to my paypal address and I'll give you Dean's address.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

foghorn posted:

PA Team

Gime yo money!

Does this cover the PA Late-To-The-Party Team as well? Dean replied that they're full and I'm on a waiting list, but I suspect that he's just overloaded.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

If you talk to Dean in any other form then the *June 19th* match, then he is full. We are a unique, special snowflake, so we get to play the match the day before.

Team late to the party / Team Type I Diabetus / Team Fighting Mongoose should be good to go.

Sending paypal now.

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

DkHelmet posted:

Does this cover the PA Late-To-The-Party Team as well?

Roundboy posted:

Sending paypal now.

No! No! I meant MY team! Sto... Oh, screw it. Yeah, paypal me your cash, I'll send the check.

Lazy bums...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

foghorn posted:

No! No! I meant MY team! Sto... Oh, screw it. Yeah, paypal me your cash, I'll send the check.

Lazy bums...

Ha! I didn't actually paypal anything.. you fell into my trap. I also re-read your post and i am doing the correct thing now

«237 »