Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«237 »
flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hah that owns! I wish we had cool props and BUG matches up here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Hey someone had a GoPro on running some of the stages from yesterday. Turns out someone videos a bunch of their matches.

https://youtu.be/p615vCJ6MRg

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Just finished RO day of the Westex run n gun. I shot well and walked slow as usual. Had light snow flurries and lower temps which made for an interesting event.

~5 mile course with 8 shooting stages mixing pistol and rifle. Shots from within 100 yards out to 500 yards.

Stage 3 involved sprinting and shooting from trees. Most the shooting positions use natural rock formations and trees instead of artificial structures.

Stage 4 involves shooting rifle from a rock at the right hand side and then hustling downhill and behind the dam to the left where you engage 5 pistol targets.

Halfway up the mountain. It's about 400 ft of elevation gain between stage 4 and 5.

The road up top after stage 5. This is about the highest point. 500ft above the starting point and no cover from the wind or sleet.

Gear selfie. I run pistol, 2 pistol mags, 1 rifle mag and med kit on the belt. The chest rig gets 3 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, phone, notebook, tq, and beef jerky. Probably going to trim down the belt kit to just pistol, pistol mag and medkit.

If you're in Tx or Ok I strongly recommend you try a Run n Gun. We even have guys that fly in from Nevada and California every year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

An acquaintance of mine too 4th overall at the shot show 3-gun. Knowing how many rounds he goes through a week, he deserved it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just finished RO day of the Westex run n gun. I shot well and walked slow as usual. Had light snow flurries and lower temps which made for an interesting event.

~5 mile course with 8 shooting stages mixing pistol and rifle. Shots from within 100 yards out to 500 yards.

Stage 3 involved sprinting and shooting from trees. Most the shooting positions use natural rock formations and trees instead of artificial structures.

Stage 4 involves shooting rifle from a rock at the right hand side and then hustling downhill and behind the dam to the left where you engage 5 pistol targets.

Halfway up the mountain. It's about 400 ft of elevation gain between stage 4 and 5.

The road up top after stage 5. This is about the highest point. 500ft above the starting point and no cover from the wind or sleet.

Gear selfie. I run pistol, 2 pistol mags, 1 rifle mag and med kit on the belt. The chest rig gets 3 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, phone, notebook, tq, and beef jerky. Probably going to trim down the belt kit to just pistol, pistol mag and medkit.

If you're in Tx or Ok I strongly recommend you try a Run n Gun. We even have guys that fly in from Nevada and California every year.

Strong, strong mag game. Those purple ones are hard to find, which is why I saved one for the Secret Santa exchange last December.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Captain Log posted:

Strong, strong mag game. Those purple ones are hard to find, which is why I saved one for the Secret Santa exchange last December.

I think aim just got some more of them, if you need more

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think aim just got some more of them, if you need more

I don't NEED anything AR related...so I'm just going to slowly buy them one at a time until I have a closet full.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Shot an all classifiers match last weekend and managed to claw my way into C-Class again. Even shot two B-Class classifiers which got flagged for being too high lol

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone else here at Desert Brutality this weekend? So far I timed out on the pistol spinner, but finishied the kasarda drill stage

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

L0cke17 posted:

Anyone else here at Desert Brutality this weekend? So far I timed out on the pistol spinner, but finishied the kasarda drill stage

Not me, but I'm very curious about it! Would love to read your impressions

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nomyth posted:

Not me, but I'm very curious about it! Would love to read your impressions

After day 1 it's pretty good. Its running a lot smoother than last year because there's almost no paper to tape.

So far the only thing I've had trouble with was the pistol spinner. I'm a fairly mediocre pistol shooter but i was able to almost spin it before my earpro hosed up and I lost all the momentum trying to fix my ears and not blow out my hearing. I'll have to see how the stages tomorrow are, but so far it seems a lot more balanced than last year's was too.

Last year it was mostly stages with lift and carry this heavy thing, and this year it's a mix of carry heavy thing, run a lot, and tricky shooting positions.

Overall im enjoying it, and I wish I had the equipment to have shot the retro/classic/ak match too, but oh well.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

How heavy is the emphasis on precision in 2-gun, i.e. amount of no-shoots or graded targets?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nomyth posted:

How heavy is the emphasis on precision in 2-gun, i.e. amount of no-shoots or graded targets?

At this match they are doing basically no no-shoots, and no scored paper to reduce reset time so they can fit more people. However the targets can be quite small, and thereís no painting or marking so they are hard to see a lot of the time.

There are some interesting targets though, one is a full-size IPSC with an 10x12in hole cut in the middle in the pattern of a rifle armor plate and you have to hit the target with either a head or dickshot to count.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

flightless greeb posted:

Even shot two B-Class classifiers which got flagged for being too high lol

Are you going to appeal those flags?

I've seen a handful of people have them removed this past season with a simple explanation of "I've been practicing a ton and have made significant progress in my ability lately."

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Well that's pretty clever of them. Pretty interesting to see the changes made for busy courses

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Lunchboxx posted:

Are you going to appeal those flags?

I've seen a handful of people have them removed this past season with a simple explanation of "I've been practicing a ton and have made significant progress in my ability lately."

Yeah I sent in the form thing already saying like hey I have video of me shooting the stages in those times if you want to watch!

I was really pleased with this one for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChduPx4uQSo

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 2, 2020

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.

Fan of Britches

Searched the thread but didn't find anything real handy.

I'm planning on doing my first competition in a couple months. Is the Safariland 6360 a good choice for my gen 5 Glock 19? I don't have any experience with positive retention holsters.

Are Blade Tech mag pouches workable? I'm using https://www.pewpewtactical.com/essential-3gun-gear/ as a guide for what I need.

It's a pistol caliber match and my Ruger PCC can take the same mags as the Glock, but I'll need to carry a few on me as well as shotgun reloads.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Do you need a locking holster? Like is it mandated by the rules? Otherwise just got with a blade tech holster and mag pouches. Later on you might want to change it up but for theyíll get you a good long ways.

If you do need a locking holster Iíd recommend getting either just an ALS safariland like the 6378 or a GLS holster. The SLS hood is just going to slow you down and add needless complexity.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

I've really been happy with various blade tech holsters, works well for matches. If you need extra retention I drilled a hole below the trigger guard area and run an elastic bungee that loops over the pistol when needed. If you just shoot something like USPSA, etc that isn't even necessary, it's got good passive retention.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so
i dont have to keep
telling you retards
what happened

Lipstick Apathy

As above, go with the lowest retention youíre allowed or feel comfy with. I use the injection molded blade tech holsters for competition type stuff and also have some ALS holsters set up for training courses with more running or flopping around on the ground. For USPSA (not sure about 3 gun or IDPA) you just need a gun bucket, youíre probably not going to be doing a lot of running with the gun holstered.

The blade tech mag holders are workable but not nearly as good as some dedicated competition ones. Iíve used TREX Arms MARS (made to go on tek loks), and tried a number of the competition ones. CR speed and Ghost are OK, but I really like the double alpha ones (the plastic ones, unless you are into lighting money on fire) edit: theyíre the Racer model.

The double alpha belt is pretty good, and the BOSS hanger from Ben Stoeger is pretty rad if you are purely gamer gearing up. In fact, the benstoegerproshop has some starter packages to look at. I tend to tinker and Iím sure theyíre a bit expensive so I never bought a big package but it may give you some ideas.

The big letdown comes when you are trying to mix and match brands, hardware, hangers, belts and nothing fits together...

Anyhow let the rules for your game guide you and ideally hook up with someone thatís been through the wringer before, most people are glad to help Iíve found.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 8, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

For multigun competition, I 100% recommend a holster with active retention. Pretty much every DQ I have seen in multigun is a holstered gun coming out under movement. For USPSA and poo poo? Low retention, turn it all down so the gun is barely held (race holsters need not apply, I've seen so many of those drop guns)

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.

Fan of Britches

The rules for the upcoming match and a different one I'm interested in only specify the gun has to remain in the holster during "vigorous movement." No mention of any level of retention other than that, but the person I'm going with uses a Blackhawk Serpa ( ) that I'm not comfortable using with a Glock.

I'll contact the range to make sure it's not required and try a Blade Tech, thanks!

(edit)

Ah more posts. I'll look more at the recommended holsters.

Skier fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 8, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

You can crank the tension pretty high on a bladetech, you should be ok, just make sure it doesn't loosen up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You shouldnít feel safe using a Serpa for any gun so good instincts

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Some matches (should be all of them) actually don't even allow Serpas so that should tell you all you need to know. Friends don't let friends Serpa.

Oddly enough the Serpa bungee is what I use on multiple Blade Techs with the aforementioned hole drilled. Works great for stuff like multigun where I'd be afraid of it taking a spill.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

If only there was a Glock 19-compatible holster with active retention made by the most well-respected maker of duty holsters, available for $30 on Amazon Prime

Wait! There is one: https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-P...r/dp/B01GL1HK1I

I have this holster for a Beretta 92, and a similar-ish ALS duty holster for a PX4. The ALS retention mechanism is very intuitive to use and doesn't present the safety issues of a SERPA.

poopgiggle fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 8, 2020

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Skier posted:

Searched the thread but didn't find anything real handy.

I'm planning on doing my first competition in a couple months. Is the Safariland 6360 a good choice for my gen 5 Glock 19? I don't have any experience with positive retention holsters.

Are Blade Tech mag pouches workable? I'm using https://www.pewpewtactical.com/essential-3gun-gear/ as a guide for what I need.

It's a pistol caliber match and my Ruger PCC can take the same mags as the Glock, but I'll need to carry a few on me as well as shotgun reloads.

That's a good holster in its own right but it's 100% meant for duty use over competition. It can be a little unforgiving if you don't practice with it. The felt/suede lining can cause a lot of resistance to your draw if you're not perfect about getting the gun straight up out of the holster. I think you'd be much happier with one of the other holsters mentioned. I personally lean towards the one poopgiggle mentioned. I have a couple of those for duty and competition use.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

poopgiggle posted:

If only there was a Glock 19-compatible holster with active retention made by the most well-respected maker of duty holsters, available for $30 on Amazon Prime

Wait! There is one: https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-P...r/dp/B01GL1HK1I

I have this holster for a Beretta 92, and a similar-ish ALS duty holster for a PX4. The ALS retention mechanism is very intuitive to use and doesn't present the safety issues of a SERPA.

Yeah, ALS is both a very good retention system and very fast. Why yank a bungee out of the way when you can shove it in a gun bucket that it locks into and comes out freely when you push the handy thumb stud?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

To each their own, but blade tech is a fantastic holster in it's own right, especially when paired with a boss hanger. For me I want the retention to be there 100% or off entirely, and the band works pretty well for that. Safariland isn't bad for sure either, just comes down to what you are planning on using it for (most of their stuff costs more too, but can't argue with $31).

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Bladetech/BOSS hanger is probably better for USPSA, where the gun will only be in the holster when you're walking around not shooting, so you can loosen the retention up a lot. The Safariland is probably better for 3-gun, where you'll also be running around with a rifle or shotgun and your loaded handgun really needs to not fall out of the holster.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

i like the bladetech wrs more than the safariland for active retention (for 3gun). you could just press down on a button with your thumb on the bladetech and the hood moves forward automatically since it's spring-loaded. the safariland i had, you had to slide the hood forward too. not much of a longer motion but not as easy imo

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I'm a fan of just throwing a bungee cord on it and calling it done. It's rare, but the mechanical systems can fail, and Id much rather have a slower time on the clock and be more certain that I won't drop a gun.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

californiasushi posted:

i like the bladetech wrs more than the safariland for active retention (for 3gun). you could just press down on a button with your thumb on the bladetech and the hood moves forward automatically since it's spring-loaded. the safariland i had, you had to slide the hood forward too. not much of a longer motion but not as easy imo

Thatís why the safariland ALS and QLS systems are better than the SLS, neither use the hood. Both are disengaged by a lever that is pressed naturally by the hand when taking a firing grip on this gun, either with your thumb on the ALS or your middle finger on the QLS.

The ALS has the advantage of being older and having more support in the higher end duty holsters, while the QLS is newer and interfaces with the gun differently so itís more model agnostic. The one I have can work with pretty much any polymer frames gun.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Internet Wizard posted:

Thatís why the safariland ALS and QLS systems are better than the SLS, neither use the hood. Both are disengaged by a lever that is pressed naturally by the hand when taking a firing grip on this gun, either with your thumb on the ALS or your middle finger on the QLS.

The ALS has the advantage of being older and having more support in the higher end duty holsters, while the QLS is newer and interfaces with the gun differently so itís more model agnostic. The one I have can work with pretty much any polymer frames gun.

Do you mean GLS? QLS is their holster/accessory swapping system. It's worth noting that the QLS system is also nice since you can set up multiple belts for different purposes with the QLS mount and then just swap the holster out at will without taking everything else off.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

If you have lights on your guns and want thumb release retention, check out the Blackhawk omnivore as well. TLR-1 and X300 models, universal fit for the host handgun, like $45. Their belt options aren't great but you can put it on a Tek Lok or hanger just fine. Mine's on a Tek Lok.

Here's some video of me using it in a recent 3-gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8prdDdGo5kM

Can also fill your TLR-1 with lead shot and it is a half pound frame weight that fits in that holster :have:

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 11, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BrianM87 posted:

Do you mean GLS? QLS is their holster/accessory swapping system. It's worth noting that the QLS system is also nice since you can set up multiple belts for different purposes with the QLS mount and then just swap the holster out at will without taking everything else off.

Yeah thatís what I meant.

The QLS system IS also really convenient though

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

My unit is probably going to be sending another team, including myself, to a fairly major competition this year. Last year, we got some footage with a helmet-mounted gopro, which we'll probably do again, but I was also hoping to pick up a camera that I can mount to a pic rail to get some additional footage from that perspective. Do any of you competitors have a recommended setup like this? These will be long days, so ideally it would take microSD cards and/or have a lot of onboard storage, be at least HD, and have decent battery life (though I'll probably bring out a power bank or extra batteries, depending on what it takes, to to make sure it doesn't die during the day).

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

I agree with the above statements re: bungee cord being better for USPSA, if you feel that you need active retention. I've never had to run around with the gun holstered in USPSA so removing the bungee cord at Make Ready is nbd.

californiasushi posted:

FWIW, my Safariland Px4 holster came with a SLS hood on it. I removed it with an allen wrench I think. Now there's just a couple screw holes in the side of the holster but it's otherwise just an ALS holster.

L0cke17 posted:

I'm a fan of just throwing a bungee cord on it and calling it done. It's rare, but the mechanical systems can fail, and Id much rather have a slower time on the clock and be more certain that I won't drop a gun.

I'm not sure that a homemade bungee cord thing is less likely to fail than a purpose-built holster retention mechanism but it would at least be easier to visually inspect.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Caught the butt of my pistol on a ledge jumping down a platform, put a ton of stress on the bungee. I'm sure Safariland makes good gear but a lot of mechanical retention mechanisms out there would have failed where the bungee held up. Totally anecdotal, but I'm pretty positive with my 260lbs dragging it down something would give (probably the holster mount before the retention).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Bob Mundon posted:

Caught the butt of my pistol on a ledge jumping down a platform, put a ton of stress on the bungee. ).

Sure sounds like an edge case to me.

«237 »