Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«237 »
MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

poopgiggle posted:

I agree with the above statements re: bungee cord being better for USPSA, if you feel that you need active retention. I've never had to run around with the gun holstered in USPSA so removing the bungee cord at Make Ready is nbd.

If you have a retention device, you have to use it. Bungee cords in competition are slow and counterproductive. Get a proper retention holster for multigun or just get a non retention holster if you're doing pistol-only games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Atticus_1354 posted:

Sure sounds like an edge case to me.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If you have a retention device, you have to use it. Bungee cords in competition are slow and counterproductive. Get a proper retention holster for multigun or just get a non retention holster if you're doing pistol-only games.

Good catch. I was going to argue that you could argue that the bungee cord isn't really a retention mechanism, but the language of the rule* is "If a retaining strap is attached to a holster or magazine pouch, it must be applied or closed." It'd be hard to argue that the bungee thingy isn't a retaining strap.

*Taken from a benos forum post on google so might be outdated or something

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I use a Red Hill Tactical holster for USPSA. It has a couple brass knobs that you can tighten for added retention. At full tightness, the gun won't come out even if I hang the holster upside down. So I just tighten it up nice and snug between stages and then loosen it all the way at make ready so there's no real drag on my draw.

That said, I would probably add a bungee cord if I were doing a 3-gun or 2-gun stage that looked really physical and had a lot of running around with a holstered pistol, just in case it got caught on something. RHT also has some options for level 2 holsters but drat they're pricy. Still, I'm sure they're great.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Dropped pistols are the #1 thing I DQ people for at my local 3-gun match.

That said, my holster is a regular Trex Arms kydex piece with nothing more than regular tension for retention. I keep it somewhat tight and I've never had anything close to an issue with the pistol falling out.

Every dropped pistol I see is because someone has lightened the tension on their holster for that super fast draw.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Huh, you're right.

quote:

5.2.6 If a retaining strap or flap is attached to a holster and/or allied equipment, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the "Standby" command.

Seems like a weird rule.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.

Fan of Britches

Got the Safariland ALS holster poopgiggle recommended, locks the Glock 19 down well during plenty of shaking etc.. Thanks!

Mag pouches and shotgun caddy are in as well, going to give everything a test fit on my everyday Beltman to verify I need a competition belt next.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Skier posted:

Got the Safariland ALS holster poopgiggle recommended, locks the Glock 19 down well during plenty of shaking etc.. Thanks!

Mag pouches and shotgun caddy are in as well, going to give everything a test fit on my everyday Beltman to verify I need a competition belt next.

You don't need a dedicated belt for competition when starting out, but it definitely makes things easier. An inner/outer belt system is probably your best bet when you decide to go that route, and it gives you a couple options. You don't need to get something super expensive either. I had something like this for a few years using just my everyday belt as an inner belt and a couple belt keepers. I use the HSGI Operator belt now but there's no reason to spend that much unless you just really want to.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

Talking about running DB2020 in this video https://youtu.be/gSX-KThNcnw

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

Well work's been good, so I did some dumb stuff. A buddy of mine builds competition guns that run and doesn't go too crazy on pricing. He built my .40 single stack piece and I just gave him a down payment for a limited gun. Carne Custom has been building a bunch of the match guns for the regional matches in the area and his stuff looks good and performs well. He got his start when he bought a big-name custom 2011 second hand that had never been fired. It didn't run, he sent it back, the owner was kind of a dick and didn't even try to fix it before sending it back. Now Carne builds what he wants to shoot: guns that run.

So I'm saying bye bye to the Tanfos and joining team 2011. Going with a Cheeley XWF frame, E2 aggressive grips (not extra aggressive though), and an island barrel. Gonna be a heavy overall setup with a light slide for quick and minimal recoil.

And then there's that Dillon that I pre ordered. I don't know what's going on with Dillon but there's something funky about the 1100 release that they're not being too up front about. I've heard mixed reports saying that they don't run as smooth as they should and there's still issues that they haven't ironed out. Dillon is claiming they're having supply issues. Regardless, I placed an order in mid December and they said four to six weeks. Every attempt I've made to contact them about this order since the seventh week has been met with vague non-answers. Phone calls are usually "yeah I don't know" to "oh it's up to eight to ten weeks" when I'm now on week twelve. Emails have gone unanswered, and the contact form on their website also leads to no answers.

Last night I sent an email to Dillon asking to cancel my order. They must have replied as soon as they opened up, as I got a confirmation that it was cancelled. I immediately placed an order for a Mark 7 Evolution and that should be here within a week.

Get hype for 2020.

Also picked up 20k bullets.

Lunchboxx fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 3, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Better get some tungsten everything for your guns because production and Carry Optics are now 59oz maximum

Because nothing says an everyday carry gun like a 3.5lb steel brick

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

What's the point of a 59oz maximum weight? What guns does it exclude?

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Is there some kinda gamer poo poo with add-ons? What does the heaviest dot weigh?

Heaviest guns are all the steel frame CZ/Tanfos and some oddball stuff like the Sphinx or a random Sig and that's only a smidge above 50oz at most.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Craptacular posted:

What's the point of a 59oz maximum weight? What guns does it exclude?

I imagine you could go over with certain guns with brass grips, brass basepads and tungsten parts.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Yeah I guess, but why even bother at that point?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

The problem with brass is that you can't do custom colors on it

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Here's a diff of the equipment rules: https://uspsa.org/documents/minutes...7%20changes.pdf

Machining to add speed holes and cocking serrations is legal now. Which tbh probably doesn't create much of a performance improvement, but USPSA isn't even pretending that Prod is a "stock" division anymore. Might as well just change the name to Lim-10 Double Action and be done with it.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

poopgiggle posted:

Might as well just change the name to Lim-10 Double Action and be done with it.

Just wait, at this rate soon they'll allow DA/SA Production guns to start cocked and locked if they're capable of it.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Some triggered, fragile boy in TFR keeps buying Numlock avatars, because Numlock said Nazis are bad.

Spending money to delete anti-Nazi avatars to trigger the libs.

Get well, Lowtax.

I really need to get back into going to USPSA/Steel Challenge (got my gun back from Cajun whooo).

Checked enos and found out about these rules changes lol. I’m kind of beyond caring though.

Craptacular posted:

Yeah I guess, but why even bother at that point?

I imagined the (Ill)logical end point and it’s tactical handgun bench rest open.

10lb “handguns” mounted like swivel guns on your equipment cart. Open would allow electric assist cart.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 3, 2020

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Assuming it doesn't get cancelled, I'm scheduled for newbie's first practical rifle competition on Saturday afternoon. Is there any extra protocol/etiquette I should be aware of, coming from outlaw-style indoor pistol and steel challenge matches?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nomyth posted:

Assuming it doesn't get cancelled, I'm scheduled for newbie's first practical rifle competition on Saturday afternoon. Is there any extra protocol/etiquette I should be aware of, coming from outlaw-style indoor pistol and steel challenge matches?

Bring a chamber flag. Before you take your gun(s) out of your car go ask a match official what the safety procedure is. Introduce yourself and make sure you know where/when the safety briefing will be. Then pay attention and have fun!

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

If anyone is wants to chime in, I just finished up another giant essay all about handgun grip.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I just got my CO/Prod Nationals invitation code. Anyone else going?

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Progress on the new gun. I can't wait to get it in my hands and shoot it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Lunchboxx posted:

Progress on the new gun. I can't wait to get it in my hands and shoot it.

Living in Tennessee has caused me to eternally hate orange (gently caress the Vols) but drat that's a nice looking gun.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Living in Tennessee has caused me to eternally hate orange (gently caress the Vols) but drat that's a nice looking gun.

Since anodizing is done in batches, I sent everything that I could.

Sorry.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Lunchboxx posted:

Since anodizing is done in batches, I sent everything that I could.

Sorry.

I'll give it a pass.

If your gun was white instead of silver, I'd have to ask you to destroy it.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I'll give it a pass.

If your gun was white instead of silver, I'd have to ask you to destroy it.

Eww, I'd probably go through with the request tbqh

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

MantisClaw posted:

If anyone is wants to chime in, I just finished up another giant essay all about handgun grip.

oh good im doing it right finally

Trip report from my first practical rifle outlaw-style competition a few weeks back, before things started getting extremely bad and states shut down: Got through it without DQ-ing or procedurals. Progress! I did however discover that factory lithium grease on a rifle that has less than 100 rounds through it is not very cooperative in cold weather. I had a very kind RSO loan me an AR pistol with a Holosun dot on it and it was like night and day for that stage of the match.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Guessing competitions aren't gonna be a thing for a while, but I did finally get an actual decent belt set up so I'm not constantly threading poo poo on/off my leather belt.

It's nothing fancy, I'm sure I'll outgrow the blade tech stuff at some point but it feels pretty sturdy for now.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

I was on the 3 Gun Show Podcast last week:
https://youtu.be/gSkoi2j50g8

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

What are the best budget options these days for a micro dot for CO? I've only shot a gun with a dot once before so I don't want to jump in spending $400-600, and it's just for competition so DITS is not a concern. My understanding is I want a big window and probably a 3-6MOA dot?

Strayer
May 19, 2006

The best overall bang for your buck is easily the Holosun 407. RMR footprint, near RMR battery life, near RMR indestructibility. It's an RMR sized window, so not as big as a Deltapoint Pro or a Trijicon SRO, but it's like a third of the price of either. If you're willing to go up about 75 bucks, the 507 is the same optic, but with the ability to toggle between the 2 MOA dot, a 32 MOA ring, and the combination of the two. Only real downside is that, like the RMR, you have to remove the optic from your slide in order to change the battery. The newer series, the 508, had a side-tray for the battery, but it's also going to be about 400 whenever they finally hit the market.

The Deltapoint Pro has a big-rear end window, but it's about 400 out of the box and uses a different footprint, so on most MOS/Optics Ready guns it tends to sit higher, which isn't a big deal in and of itself, but if you're trying to cowitness irons you'll end up with a boatsail for the front sight. A nice advantage of the DPP is the toploading battery door, which you'll use a lot because the DPP uses a fairly untinted window, which gives a cleaner sight picture(no blue tint) but also drastically reduces the battery life. Small bonus to the DPP: if you're willing to spend about another 50 bux, Leupold makes an elevation and windage adjustable rear sight unit that mounts directly to the DPP, if you're planning on cowitnessing irons.

The Trijicon SRO is the other really big CO competition optic. RMR footprint, but with a bigger window and a circular lens. Impact durability is down in the Vortex pistol red dot territory tho. Not a big deal on a competition gun, but it doesn't take much of a drop to slay an SRO. More expensive too, but otherwise superb.

I would heavily suggest avoiding the Vortex offerings. Way too fragile, and they cost as much if not more than the Holosun 407/507s. I'm not as familiar with the Sig Optics stuff, but most of what I saw from them was similarly unimpressive.

TLDR: Holosun 407 or 507 is your best bet. Most MOS/Optics Ready guns are milled with the RMR in mind, and if you ever decide you want a more pro competition optic, you can usually transition seamlessly to the SRO(though not always, as the SRO has a forward projecting hood that can interfere with some guns if it projects over the ejection port). If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Deltapoint Pro is a great option, but not all MOS guns include plates for it, which means more stuff you have to buy. The DPP is a great option for a gun you're going to have milled though.

Regarding dot sizes themselves, there's still a fair bit of debate and personal preference involved in that. I've had my best results from a smaller dot, ~2MOA usually. The smaller dot can be more precise, with the flipside being it can be harder to find under circumstances. I've got a mild astigmatism or some other ocular disorder so I can easily turn it into like a ten MOA dot just by cranking the brightness. If you can, I'd suggest seeing if you can find somebody who had a red-dot gun that you can play with to get a feel for it. The Primary & Secondary guys had a pretty good podcast about the topic: dot size comes up often, but the main thrust is discussed around the 20 minute mark of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtfsNeiOwI. Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics also has talked about dot size in a couple of videos. He was originally a Biggest Dot dude until a couple of years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efaGYhIi3Sc

FWIW: The holosun 500 series would give you the ability to try it both ways in the same optic. Run the 2 MOA dot for a small dot, or run the circle and dot for the big dot effect.

Strayer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 30, 2020

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Still waiting for my new 2011 to finish getting PVD coated, but in the meantime, I snagged my rig and put together the mag pouches and holster after they went in for anodizing.

I'm very happy with how it all came out.

I set it all up with the GF's gun and got some dry fire reps in to ensure it was all in a good spot. The same guy is making my gun with the same type of frame so everything should transfer over without issue.

The wait is even more killer now.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Looks amazing! Nice work.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

That rules

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Those Carne guns are outrageous. Lock up like a bank vault, and slick as a Swiss watch. They're an insane bargain if you can get a spot on the list.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

This is kind of and odd question but I figured this place is the best place to ask: What is the difference between a IDPA silhouette and a USPSA/IPSC silhouette? Looking at steel target silhouettes and different places seem to have one or the other but they look pretty much identical? Is there just a slight difference in corner cut angles or something?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

my kinda ape posted:

This is kind of and odd question but I figured this place is the best place to ask: What is the difference between a IDPA silhouette and a USPSA/IPSC silhouette? Looking at steel target silhouettes and different places seem to have one or the other but they look pretty much identical? Is there just a slight difference in corner cut angles or something?
For cardboard here is the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hah, are there actually any jurisdictions that don't allow the humaniform targets but will accept the scoring zones of the IDPA Alternate?

«237 »