Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«237 »
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Yuns posted:

For cardboard here is the difference.

Neat thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

~Coxy posted:

Hah, are there actually any jurisdictions that don't allow the humaniform targets but will accept the scoring zones of the IDPA Alternate?

It's a nod to the "I" in IDPA... I don't think anyone even manufactures them in reality.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow, shoot it on Sunday.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Lunchboxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9x11nepSy4

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

Lunchboxx posted:

Thatís pretty

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

The glamour shots made the finish look black. In person it is closer to the titanium grey that I was expecting.

It feels great, and fits my big hands better than I'd expected based on previous 2011s I'd held in the past.

Tomorrow we chrono some ammo, fine tune the sights, and hopefully get some video.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

drat that's purdy. What's the benefit of having the barrel have that extra mass where the slide is cut out? Just a fancy barrel weight?

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

You're removing weight from the slide so there's less reciprocating mass, so ideally there's less recoil. I'm going to try to get some slow mo video to see if it's as drastic as I'm being lead to believe.

Speaking of weight, the slide is down to 10oz. Total weight without a mag is 51.3oz.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ah, that makes sense. That thing looks like fun on a bun to shoot.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

awesome 2011! what's the trigger weight? how come you switched?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Akion posted:

drat that's purdy. What's the benefit of having the barrel have that extra mass where the slide is cut out? Just a fancy barrel weight?

The other major benefit is the front sight doesn't reciprocate with the slide. Some say it makes sight acquisition faster (but who knows if it really matters).

Post a family photo with your other Carne!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Does it not use the standard short recoil barrel? I guess it moves less, at least.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Trigger weight is just under 2lb. I switched because many of the parts I liked using on the Tanfos aren't being made any more (Henning fixed sights, magwell among others) because the Limited isn't terribly popular any more compared to the production and carry optics offerings.

I'd also grown tired of the mags. Loading them to 20 rounds nearly required a Lula and the amount of pressure on the mag body eventually causes them to bulge. It is temporarily fixable, but trying to slam a reload home only to find that the mag doesn't fit into the gun is kinda lovely. I would buy between five and ten mags a season and by the end of the year I'd have to toss a few of them.

My biggest concern with the 2011s was the size and trigger reach. I explored some options with the builder and found that this combo fit me pretty good. Trigger reach was acceptable, albeit with a tight fit in the trigger guard. The safety rides super high and put my hands in a position where they're not getting chewed up or pinched. It felt like an overall step up in quality and the downsides that I had chalked up in the past were mostly mitigated.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

thanks for the great reply, makes a ton of sense. looking forward to your range report

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThoTIVJsdE

First 500 rounds through the gun went pretty well. The ammo that I cooked up Chrono'd well, with a decently consistent 940 fps average which should put me right around 170PF.

I had a few issues where the slide stop would engage on its own while shooting. The stop itself is recessed into the frame so I'm fairly certain I'm not accidentally bumping it up. It could be rounds from the mag bumping it up from the inside but more testing is needed. It happened less frequently as I got through that 500 rounds. A stronger detent should hold it in place or disable it completely or, worst case, filing down the catch itself will make it a non issue.

Otherwise I just need to get used to how different it feels. I like it, the trigger and sight picture during recoil are foreign to me right now but my initial impression is very positive.

I'm probably going to make another trip to the range tomorrow.

Edit: slow-mo video makes it look less impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAplecgokHw

Edit 2: one more for good measure (gently caress I need a trim)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAR4n8tuTrI

Lunchboxx fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 17, 2020

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Lunchboxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThoTIVJsdE
I had a few issues where the slide stop would engage on its own while shooting. The stop itself is recessed into the frame so I'm fairly certain I'm not accidentally bumping it up. It could be rounds from the mag bumping it up from the inside but more testing is needed. It happened less frequently as I got through that 500 rounds. A stronger detent should hold it in place or disable it completely or, worst case, filing down the catch itself will make it a non issue.

Happens with 2011 mags with basepads sometimes, due to the way the rounds sit in the mag they can push up on the slide stop before the mag is empty. I disable all my slide stops mostly for that reason. You can grind down the tab or drill a deeper detent pocket like you said.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

NickBlasta posted:

Happens with 2011 mags with basepads sometimes, due to the way the rounds sit in the mag they can push up on the slide stop before the mag is empty. I disable all my slide stops mostly for that reason. You can grind down the tab or drill a deeper detent pocket like you said.

Good to know, I'll probably grind down the tab tonight then. I was legitimately beginning to question whether or not I was unknowingly nudging it, my thumb makes zero contact with it while indexed.

Any thoughts on what would cause a mag to hang? I have five MBX mags, one of them doesn't easily drop free like the others.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

Look at MBX followers versus regular STI followers. That little ground out portion on the MBX is what is engaging the slide stop on regular mags.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

I probably should have mentioned that the slide stop was engaging while mags were mostly full.

I've got MBX mags/followers. I nearly wrote them off completely after trying their absolute garbo Tanfo mags.

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

Post a family photo with your other Carne!

K

Now kith:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Meat Custom?

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Meat Custom?

Yup.

He picked up the nickname Meat at some point and ran with it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Since I've been going mostly multigun and not USPSA (can run cocked and locked) just put in a single action only trigger in my CZ. Jeeeeeez this is like a 1911 trigger now, cuts down on travel and reset a ridiculous amount. If you don't run your CZ in double action highly recommend getting one of those and taking out the disconnector. Not difficult to switch it back over either.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Lunchboxx posted:

Yup.

He picked up the nickname Meat at some point and ran with it.

Just making sure I hadn't lost my mind.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Had fun today, not too horrible considering it's been a couple months since the last match. 8th/38 overall, 3rd/20 tacops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNDld5gn9k

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Nice! Can't wait for matches to resume out here!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Our ranges are still closed by order of the governor but there is a lawsuit to reopen the outdoor ranges since they are allowing golf courses to open.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Yeah our major place in Kern county CA is returning to regular operations next week apparently.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm hoping to get out to the grasslands to shoot this weekend. Need to zero my WASR and AR.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGV_WINV4A

first match since the beginning of march, felt good

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGV_WINV4A

first match since the beginning of march, felt good

Ha, I was on the other end of that range taking a handgun class Saturday and Sunday.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I thought I saw a class on the opposite of stage 5, great facility they have there

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I had my kydex guy make me a tq pouch and mag pouch for competition and hunting use. Will probably end up having him do a knife sheath and pistol pouch to match.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Got my new AR a while back, and the other day I had the pleasure of taking it out to my first ever match in the SAO division (contamination control protocols were in effect, and everyone had a blast). My whopping final score of not-quite-40% did put me dangerously close to the bottom of the score table, but I had enormous fun, and learned a lot. I decided to go with a variable zoom scope, and I realize now that if I'm going to keep doing that I absolutely must have an offset RMR as well. Way too many mikes and deltas from undershooting close-range targets was sort of the general theme for the day. Still though, great fun!

I might yet end up ditching the whole scope thing for a holo and magnifier setup

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pursesnatcher posted:

Got my new AR a while back, and the other day I had the pleasure of taking it out to my first ever match in the SAO division (contamination control protocols were in effect, and everyone had a blast). My whopping final score of not-quite-40% did put me dangerously close to the bottom of the score table, but I had enormous fun, and learned a lot. I decided to go with a variable zoom scope, and I realize now that if I'm going to keep doing that I absolutely must have an offset RMR as well. Way too many mikes and deltas from undershooting close-range targets was sort of the general theme for the day. Still though, great fun!

I might yet end up ditching the whole scope thing for a holo and magnifier setup

RMR is pretty pricey for just a gamer thing like that, before you even know if you like it. I still use a cheap at3 dot and an offset mount (the 45 degree vortex one is pretty good) but the Bushnell microdot or something similar will let you decide if you like it for under $100 total before you invest in a very expensive extra optic.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

L0cke17 posted:

RMR is pretty pricey for just a gamer thing like that, before you even know if you like it. I still use a cheap at3 dot and an offset mount (the 45 degree vortex one is pretty good) but the Bushnell microdot or something similar will let you decide if you like it for under $100 total before you invest in a very expensive extra optic.

I'd just buy a holosun to try out and then he wont need to upgrade if he likes it and its compatible with many pistol slides if he wants to try that also.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

I've shot some mini-rifle matches with offset RMR's and loved it, I just figured .223 had a flat enough trajectory that I wouldn't need it on the proper gun.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'd just buy a holosun to try out and then he wont need to upgrade if he likes it and its compatible with many pistol slides if he wants to try that also.

That's fair. I just sorta assumed he had a pile of random plinkers also that are in need of cheap dots eventually like I have to put it on after trying it out offset on the AR

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

I missed the initial sign-up for a match tomorrow, but was able to sneak in when a few people cancelled. In preparation, I hit the range today and got some more trigger time, intending on putting my focus on a proper draw.

I'm trying a scoop draw, and I was getting some pretty good results with it, although it doesn't feel terribly consistent yet. I broke out the timer and did about a hundred rounds with a par time starting with two seconds and shot one round at a steel plate at about fifteen yards. Once I was getting consistent hits within the par time, I would drop the par time by 0.1 seconds. I was able to get down to 1.3 and do reasonably well, at 1.2 I started seeing more misses and shots after the par time.

After that I slowed it down a bit, and took a plate rack and some plates at 40 yards to ensure my sights were where I wanted and that I knew what to expect. I was seeing about a two inch drop at that distance, so aiming at the top third of the plates saw accurate and repeatable hits.

I set up some paper and did a few reps of an El Pres type setup. Draw, two shots each on three targets, reload, three shots on each, paste the non-alphas. I had a lot of leading/lagging shots due to transitioning too early or pulling shots off before being completely on target.

With my last two mags I decided to do a couple of Bill Drills, again to push the draw and see what I could do. I really wish I got this on video, as I beat my old personal best by 0.16.

Gettin' hype for an actual match now.

Lunchboxx fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 23, 2020

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

drat nice bill! are you noticing much difference in recoil/accuracy between that and your tanfo at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

californiasushi posted:

drat nice bill! are you noticing much difference in recoil/accuracy between that and your tanfo at all?

I definitely feel more confident in the sights and poa/poi on the new gun. I don't even have much to back that up other than to say that I really like the sight picture and it shoots pretty drat flat. The Tanfo was plenty accurate, but I had issues with the adjustable sights that came with them and a different make of rear adjustable that I put on there. Both broke in different ways and I switched to a fixed rear which was great for close or medium range targets. The rear notch in the fixed sights was pretty drat wide and it really hurt when I shot the Spartan 300 last year. 300 pieces of steel across 10 stages and there were some really tough shots that I struggled with. All stages were fixed time, and there wasn't one stage that I should have had an issue with, but I still ended up with like 279 or so due to timing out on some of the longer distance stuff.

That issue would likely be fixed with a different set of sights so I can't bag on the Tanfo too much, but the recoil impulse is definitely different. I'm still getting used to it but I do like it. The 2011 comes in at 51.3oz I think it was, and the Tanfo Limited is around 39oz. The weight difference is great in my opinion, and I'm not a small guy so the extra weight isn't something I feel slows me down when I swing the gun. I'm tracking the sights pretty well, but the front sight not moving is still kinda strange and I've been trying to get some reps in to get the feel for how quickly I can pop off accurate follow-up shots. I guess I would explain it by saying I think I am anticipating the gun resetting earlier than it actually is? Since I'm focused on the front sight, it appears to be "in place" for the next shot to fire but the slide is still moving forward. When the sight was in that place on the Tanfo, it meant it was ready to shoot. This is very obviously a mental thing, all in my head, and it is happening so fast that I'm just trying to process something slightly different from 10+ years of the exact same old thing.

I will say that the 2011 trigger system is much more consistent and easier to rip on than the Tanfo. The pre-travel and over-travel screws on the Tanfo trigger would come loose after a short while, even with red Loktite, and I'd suddenly have a noticeably different trigger feel partway through a match. Or I'd find myself able to pull off a run on Can You Count with .11-.12 splits one day then struggle to break .15 the next. I'd have to break down the gun, readjust the screws an eighth of a turn and it is back to working like expected. So far, the 2011 has been incredibly consistent in the trigger, and I'm only 1200 rounds in, but there'd have been some slack introduced to the Tanfo at some point through that many rounds.

The sight tracking is definitely something I will have a better answer for as I shoot more with it, but I'm very happy to take it to that point.

«237 »