Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«237 »
flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Thanks for the effort write up. It's very interesting to have this stuff broken down and really thought about by someone with a lot more experience than myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

for sure, that was a great reply. thanks for taking the time to write all that up, a lot of awesome insight there

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

Today's match saw a pretty decent turnout. Squads were restricted to ten people per to ensure some measure of social distancing was possible. The gun ran great, me not as hot as I'd have liked. I ended up 10th overall with nearly 79%, behind two Production GMs, two CO guys who have been practicing non-stop since last summer, and four talented Open M/GMs. I did end up 1st out of 15 in Limited so that's a small win. The optimist in me says that I should be happy with this performance considering it is my first outing with a brand new gun. The other voice in me says SHOULDA DONE BETTER, DO BETTER.

I found out pretty quick that when the timer is introduced, I'm not getting a proper grip. I'm really riding up into the beaver tail and the slide is shredding the meat of my hand when I grab too high. Some sports tape was able to keep everything pulled down, but I need to look at rounding some edges on the rear of the slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecfWM4sxAE
This was the first stage I shot, and probably one of the better ones I ran from a technical standpoint. I placed 6th overall with a Mike, and likely would have been within a percent or so of 1st without it. Regardless, what I pulled from this stage was that calling shots is different with the gun. I find myself calling misses much quicker than I was before, but only when I call them. You can clearly see the second to last paper target where I whiff it to the right but come right back to the target to make it up without even hesitating. Same thing on the plate rack, I come back to grab the missed plate without breaking cadence. There were quite a few instances of this throughout the match, where I'd either completely not realize I missed a target, or I'd immediately call the miss and make it up. Definitely something I want to hone in on, but not missing in the first place is clearly a better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj21VrK5Ldc
I also did pretty well on this stage, finishing 3rd overall. Two things cost me approximately half to a full second. For whatever reason, when I shot through the port, part of the orange fencing flipped up and I thought I hit the steel frame of the wall/port. I hesitate for a half second or so before regaining composure and moving on, and then I fumble the reload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqXgsGVwnbA
This was just a quickie stage that I felt like I was really slow on. My hits weren't great, but time wise I was only 0.8 seconds off the fastest time of the day. I placed 8th overall, and all four of the shooters with better times were Open shooters.

Overall, I simply just need more time behind the sights, as the gun itself functioned flawlessly today. What feedback I'm seeing and processing after just one match is promising. It is making me more than willing to put in the time and effort to master this thing and see what I can do with it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

My father saw that over my shoulder and had a question I didn't immediately know - what caliber are you shooting? I don't know if 2011s are 9 or 45. From the way you shot, it looked like 9mm.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

My father saw that over my shoulder and had a question I didn't immediately know - what caliber are you shooting? I don't know if 2011s are 9 or 45. From the way you shot, it looked like 9mm.

Neither, it is 40. Minimum caliber for Major power factor is 40/10mm/357sig.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Great shooting!! What are you currently classified at in Limited if I can ask? Gosh I want to get out to a match lol - i should really be using this quarantine time for dry fire but Im so lazy!

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

Thanks! I hit M in Limited exactly four years ago and topped out at 92.6%. Been on the plateau for a while mostly due to work sucking up so much of my time/Sunday match days.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

First match since November or so and I took home the HOA hardware. Even if it was very scrubby, still feels good to get #1 after only practicing like twice in 7 months

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I create

I'm sorry if this isn't the thread for this question. I would appreciate some feedback regarding the flared magwell of the G5 Glocks and reloads.

I have received very mixed information thus far as to its utility. As I already own a 34.4 MOS and the magwell (perhaps too the front slide serrations) is the only change that interests me in the 34.5, ordering one sight unseen isn't very attractive: as most everyone I know runs a CZ of some sort or G3 Glock, and G5 Glocks are out of stock everywhere, I can't try for myself.

Anyways, I'd appreciate your thoughts, as I may consider trading the 34.4 in the future towards the G5.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Yudo posted:

I'm sorry if this isn't the thread for this question. I would appreciate some feedback regarding the flared magwell of the G5 Glocks and reloads.

I have received very mixed information thus far as to its utility. As I already own a 34.4 MOS and the magwell (perhaps too the front slide serrations) is the only change that interests me in the 34.5, ordering one sight unseen isn't very attractive: as most everyone I know runs a CZ of some sort or G3 Glock, and G5 Glocks are out of stock everywhere, I can't try for myself.

Anyways, I'd appreciate your thoughts, as I may consider trading the 34.4 in the future towards the G5.

I have a 34MOS-FS. The magwell is slightly wider than on the 3/4, but not dramatically so. Any magwell that you would bolt on is going to be a much more significant improvement.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I create

NickBlasta posted:

I have a 34MOS-FS. The magwell is slightly wider than on the 3/4, but not dramatically so. Any magwell that you would bolt on is going to be a much more significant improvement.

Thanks for the information. Oh for sure, I know an aftermarket magwell is going to be way better, but then I am out of stock, correct? I'll get schooled (I think).

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Atticus_1354 posted:

I had my kydex guy make me a tq pouch and mag pouch for competition and hunting use. Will probably end up having him do a knife sheath and pistol pouch to match.

S'up plaid buddy. Nice to see someone else with good taste.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

dang it i just went with blue and white and now I feel like a darn scrub!

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Trillhouse posted:

S'up plaid buddy. Nice to see someone else with good taste.

I like that a lot. Still deciding which pistol will get the plaid holster.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Yudo posted:

Here is a G34.5 top and a G17.4 bottom:

I think the flared magwell is nice but not a must have - I think a lot of people like the Gen 5 for the better stock triggers most of all.

One good thing with the flared OEM magwell vs an aftermarket is I had issues getting the SLR one I was gifted to work without chopping my backstraps - the Gen 4 and Gen 5 backstraps make fitting a magwell weird. If you don't use them it isn't an issue but if you do, then it isn't as easy as a Gen 3.

I also noted that if you aren't running extended mags, the OEM 17rd mags just disappear up inside (meaning you can't tell by looking if the gun has a mag in it) not is it easy to strip out if your mags don't drop free.

I liked the G34.5 (I did the Agency Arms AOS red dot cut) and only sold it when I found the Sig X5 light...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I create

Ceros_X posted:

Here is a G34.5 top and a G17.4 bottom:

I think the flared magwell is nice but not a must have - I think a lot of people like the Gen 5 for the better stock triggers most of all.

One good thing with the flared OEM magwell vs an aftermarket is I had issues getting the SLR one I was gifted to work without chopping my backstraps - the Gen 4 and Gen 5 backstraps make fitting a magwell weird. If you don't use them it isn't an issue but if you do, then it isn't as easy as a Gen 3.

I also noted that if you aren't running extended mags, the OEM 17rd mags just disappear up inside (meaning you can't tell by looking if the gun has a mag in it) not is it easy to strip out if your mags don't drop free.

I liked the G34.5 (I did the Agency Arms AOS red dot cut) and only sold it when I found the Sig X5 light...

Thanks for your insight. I have never handled a G5, and I only got on the Glock train with the G4 9mms: the earlier generation grips didn't fit my hand at all. I don't use the backstraps, so no concern there. I have three extended mags, but as the 34 is a "range" gun, not being able to rip out the mag should it not drop free isn't that big of a concern.

Glock triggers are...well, what they are. I had a long slide PPQ: great out of the box trigger, impossible for me to hold on to due to its frame design and grip texture. Thus far, I have had the most success with CZs and (don't make fun) XDm pistols. The big upside for the Glock is that it is very easy to work on vis-a-vis a CZ, and for their weight my G19 and G34 handle recoil amazingly.

I'm just going to have to get a hold of a G5 somewhere and run it to see if it is worth the upgrade given what I want to use it for. Glocks are very pricey at the moment: the last I saw a 34.5 MOS with the front slide cuts it was $740 + tax, and for that I would rather have a Sig, or another CZ with money to spare to have it tuned.

«237 »