Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I'd like to dip my toe into action pistol competition, either IDPA or USPSA. What's a good 2021 option for a really basic competition belt/pouch/holster setup? I already have a belt from work which can double as a Velcro inner belt, and a few tek loks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd like to dip my toe into action pistol competition, either IDPA or USPSA. What's a good 2021 option for a really basic competition belt/pouch/holster setup? I already have a belt from work which can double as a Velcro inner belt, and a few tek loks.

I use this belt: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939136491
These pouches: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E5COQ9O
And this holster https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWXGSC9

All seem fine to me though I don't have anything to compare them too.

E: for USPSA

frunksock fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 5, 2021

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Just got a ghost holder and trying to figure it out. How do you keep the polymer screw from spinning out, or just go without it? Seems like it spins way too easy to stay in place.

I use blade tech too, definitely like it. If you have the budget for it I really like the boss holster hanger setup. You could always get that later though, and if you stick with blade tech or comp tac you can use it for all of them.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/boss-dropped-offset-doh-holster-by-ben-stoeger-pro-shop/

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 6, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks. Now I just need to figure out if I want to get a rigger-type belt for IDPA or an inner/outer belt for USPSA.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Drove three hours each way in the driving snow (uphill both ways, etc.) to shoot a one-stage IDPA match. Did reasonably well on my first run (took third place in Revolver with my 4Ē Model 10), then got a nearly-debilitating leg cramp on my next run (Stock Service Pistol, SIG P226). Finished safely but lost about twelve seconds because I was limping instead of running. Leg cramp didnít go away for my third run (Open/Other, TRIARC TRI-11 Commander). Lost about fifteen seconds on the last run because of the leg cramp. But dammit, I drove all that way, Iím going to shoot.

The shoot was sponsored by a state agency, and it's good to know I can show up and still eat their lunch, at least a little.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Side note: when I first showed up, there was a dude running through with a 1911. It was weird - he had at least one malfunction per mag. How could the Gun that Won Two Back-to-Back World Wars be so lovely?

I mean, granted, Kimber wasn't around for either of those World Wars. But still.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I shouldve ditched the kids to go

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gray Stormy posted:

I shouldve ditched the kids to go

Duh.

Or brought them with.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Well apparently Iíve been offered to get sponsored by Rudy Project and STI. Time to shill hard I guess!

In 2019, I thought this was a good idea.

It was not a good idea.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Uh oh, what happened?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

The Rat posted:

Uh oh, what happened?

Pandemic?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

The Rat posted:

Uh oh, what happened?

I got sick of posting their dumb mandatory FB posts. They also require you to buy a $90 jersey every year and wear it to every match. Iím not about that. Itís definitely not worth the discounts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I got sick of posting their dumb mandatory FB posts. They also require you to buy a $90 jersey every year and wear it to every match. Iím not about that. Itís definitely not worth the discounts.

Sponsored only equals discounts?

loving lame.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Dang that's lame, I thought sponsorships meant free stuff.

Maybe if you're Jerry Miculeck?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Not even good discounts. The blue bullets one is like 10%

It's pretty pathetic how much people will shill for tiny gains

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Requiring posts on your social media account is beyond

If thatís common practice for anything other than an announced paid advertisement, thatís hosed up.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

I'm Commander Shepherd and this is my favorite polymer handgun in the citadel

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Shiiiiiiiit Triple C west of Dallas suddenly and permanently closed. I can't express how badly that sucks, me and my friends referred to that range as Disneyland.

Not many places with 20+ bays, capable of doing monthly mutigun matches with all field terrain going out to 600 and long range out to 2,000. Hosted the PRS finale a couple years ago. Jesus this sucks.

Would drive 2 hours to shoot matches there and not think twice about it. Ugh that sucks. Will miss multigun in the mornings and then long range cool downs after in one of their 3 different long range areas.

*Edit* Come to think of it they hosted the PRS Finale AND their monthly multigun match on the same weekend. That's how awesome that place was.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 1, 2021

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Captain Log posted:

Requiring posts on your social media account is beyond

If thatís common practice for anything other than an announced paid advertisement, thatís hosed up.

IDK, the whole point of sponsorships is for the sponsor to get their products/services out there. As I understand it, sponsorships at the top end (like the kind where shooters actually get product for free) require the shooter to shoot a certain number of matches with the sponsor's gear. It's not weird to have quotas for advertising the product.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

poopgiggle posted:

IDK, the whole point of sponsorships is for the sponsor to get their products/services out there. As I understand it, sponsorships at the top end (like the kind where shooters actually get product for free) require the shooter to shoot a certain number of matches with the sponsor's gear. It's not weird to have quotas for advertising the product.

That, I get. Completely.

But hijacking a personís social media? Thatís overboard to me. If you do a good job as a sponsor, the sponsored will talk about you online.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My wife does social media marketing stuff for some people and in her field the entry level sponsored posts are like 400-500 per post, so gun posters are getting hosed on that deal

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Internet Wizard posted:

My wife does social media marketing stuff for some people and in her field the entry level sponsored posts are like 400-500 per post, so gun posters are getting hosed on that deal

The best shooter in the world has 10k followers on Instagram.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Finally got the chance to join a range about an hour from me and saw that they run monthly comps so I signed up for a backup gun match for the end of March. I haven't really got a chance to push myself shooting wise in over a year and the majority of my training for 2020 was weekly dry firing sessions in my basement so no idea how I am going to do but looking forward to it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

My range is fun.

Super Dave posted:

HOLLYWOOD GUN FIGHTS

The theme for the Saturday 27 March 2021 match at the AASA GUN RANGE will be HOLLYWOOD GUN FIGHTS.

We are going to recreate (on a shoestring budget) the campiest shootouts that you might have seen on the silver screen.

Think Tom Cruise in COLLATERAL DAMAGE
https://www.hkpro.com/threads/collateral-alleyway-gunfight-breakdown.215514/

Think Kevin Costnerís baby cart scene in THE UNTOUCHABLES
https://youtu.be/eRJ539f5Ugc

Think every sniper movie you have seen, including SNIPER, ENEMY AT THE GATES and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
https://youtu.be/82CXQLkSvAs

We will blaze away with two handguns at the same and we will fire rifles from the hip.

You will need a two handguns, one semi-auto rifle and a scoped .22LR. If you donít have a second handgun, I have a .22 pistol I can loan you. If you donít have a scoped .22LR, I have a very accurate Ruger 10/22 that you can use. If you doní t have a supply of .22 ammo, I will sell you my ammo at ten cents a round.

I have invested a whole $70 in targets and I would like to break even. The fee for the match will be $15 for AASA members or $20 for guests.

Letís try to be there at 0830 and have a start time of 0900 and letís try to get out of there by noon.

If anyone would like to show up in costume, that will be fine. We donít judge.

Followed by a bunch of pictures of Lara Croft, Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, and Jill from Resident Evil.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

Hey folks. I did my first USPSA meet last week, and even though it was a ton of fun I did pretty poorly. Took a lot of misses and no shoots, which mean I took zero points on three of the four stages. But like people say, everyone was really helpful and gave me stuff to work on. I'm definitely hooked. Gonna do another match in two weeks and work for a better showing!

Oh hey, I just noticed that it has been three years since my first match. What have I accomplished in that time?

-Went from production to Open
-hosed around in revolver for a bit, but went back to Open
-Got to B class in Open
-Stayed there for two years
-Seriously I need like 1.5%
-Also B in SCSA Open
-Learned that "B" stands for "Bad"
-Got my RO cert

Hooray for shooting!

Oh and I also met a few shooting goons along the way, none of whom smelled funny.

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 16, 2021

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

We now have an index thread so you can find megathreads fast. Bookmark it or something, IDK.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Wooo I went to my first USPSA match in like a year and a half and...established a baseline placement of 44th out of 51 shooters, 17th out of 17 carry optics. Plenty of room for improvement!

Pretty telling right from Practiscore what the problem was: I topped the carry optics chart with 9 more Alphas than the next most accurate guy

Nomyth fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 24, 2021

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Nomyth posted:

Wooo I went to my first USPSA match in like a year and a half and...established a baseline placement of 44th out of 51 shooters, 17th out of 17 carry optics. Plenty of room for improvement!

Pretty telling right from Practiscore what the problem was: I topped the carry optics chart with 9 more Alphas than the next most accurate guy

What's up my 'Way too many Alphas in CO' brother.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

Good now GO FASTER

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I'm attending my first ever USPSA match this weekend. I have never competed outside of 10 meter air pistol/rifle and I am just a hobbyist shooter. I have never moved while shooting or changed magazines under any stress. Been shooting for three decades though so I'm not new or completely unable to put rounds on targets. How screwed am I?

I've ordered a couple of extra mags and mag pouches overnight delivery. My plan is to dry fire nightly and practice mag changes when my pouches get here and then on Friday I'll probably run a hundred rounds or so at a friend's range. I'll be using a full sized pistol with kitschy sights that I'm not used to, I won't be using my usual carry piece, and I'll have my holster on my hip so this is completely different than my usual carry setup. Normally I'm AIWB with a subcompact or snub nose k-frame and no extra magazines. This "big" pistol feels quite foreign to me now even though I've shot it many times. Nothing is where I expect it to be (mag release, mag well, slide lock, etc).

I fully expect to perform poorly. Anybody have any tips so I don't end up missing every shot and/or looking like a total goober?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I dunno seems like you got it covered. Just concentrate on safety, really. Have a plan and visualize how to move through each stage. Make a point of any places where you risk breaking the 180 (ie. a stage where you have to move up-range) and concentrate on, uh, not doing that.

For real for real though?
  • If you miss, just move on. Don't go to war with a plate rack and refuse to move on until you hit them all.
  • Don't beat yourself when you make a mistake. Basically no-one, not even the very best, have perfect matches with 100% A-zone shots. Don't swear under your breath or say poo poo like "stupid sights" when something doesn't go to plan, it will make you shoot worse. You'll see people do this, almost certainly. Don't be like them.
  • Have fun, be confident, be safe, and you'll do well.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Trillhouse posted:

I dunno seems like you got it covered. Just concentrate on safety, really. Have a plan and visualize how to move through each stage. Make a point of any places where you risk breaking the 180 (ie. a stage where you have to move up-range) and concentrate on, uh, not doing that.

For real for real though?
  • If you miss, just move on. Don't go to war with a plate rack and refuse to move on until you hit them all.
  • Don't beat yourself when you make a mistake. Basically no-one, not even the very best, have perfect matches with 100% A-zone shots. Don't swear under your breath or say poo poo like "stupid sights" when something doesn't go to plan, it will make you shoot worse. You'll see people do this, almost certainly. Don't be like them.
  • Have fun, be confident, be safe, and you'll do well.

Sound advice all around.

I know already I'm not very good with the sights on this pistol but it's too late to change them. In this case it's my lack of training, not the sights, that is the issue. I always fully own up to my mistakes unless it's some kind of obvious mechanical issue.

I also am not going in with the mindset that I'm going to win or make all my shots. I have just this short week to get ready for it so I'll practice what I can. I hope to just learn how the matches work by participating this weekend.

I need to watch some videos or something to see how the courses work. I don't know the flow of the course, how far away targets usually are, or how/when to move from target to target. I asked some questions from the organizer and haven't yet received responses. My live fire plan for Friday is just to move back and forth between targets at different ranges, just a few shots then scoot. Dry fire plan is to shoot and move a certain number of sets, do a reload, and repeat like working out. We'll see what happens. Hopefully I can get some kind of muscle memory with this pistol before the match and hopefully it doesn't totally throw off my muscle memory for my carry piece.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

knuthgrush posted:

I'm attending my first ever USPSA match this weekend. I have never competed outside of 10 meter air pistol/rifle and I am just a hobbyist shooter. I have never moved while shooting or changed magazines under any stress. Been shooting for three decades though so I'm not new or completely unable to put rounds on targets. How screwed am I?

I've ordered a couple of extra mags and mag pouches overnight delivery. My plan is to dry fire nightly and practice mag changes when my pouches get here and then on Friday I'll probably run a hundred rounds or so at a friend's range. I'll be using a full sized pistol with kitschy sights that I'm not used to, I won't be using my usual carry piece, and I'll have my holster on my hip so this is completely different than my usual carry setup. Normally I'm AIWB with a subcompact or snub nose k-frame and no extra magazines. This "big" pistol feels quite foreign to me now even though I've shot it many times. Nothing is where I expect it to be (mag release, mag well, slide lock, etc).

I fully expect to perform poorly. Anybody have any tips so I don't end up missing every shot and/or looking like a total goober?

Why not just use your carry setup? The rules were changed recently to allow AIWB holsters outside of open and limited division, so you run that if you like. You're not going to win your first match, so go out there with the gear you're most comfortable with and just try to have fun!

The advice you'll receive from probably everyone is to learn the basic safety rules. The biggest thing that gets new shooters is the 180 rule, so be cognizant of the invisible line to your left and right and make sure that your muzzle doesn't go past it. Learn the basic range commands: 'Make Ready' means that you can draw your pistol to take a sight picture and load your magazine, 'Are You Ready, Stand by' is the preparatory command that you're about to start, 'Unload, show clear' means drop the magazine and rack out the round then demonstrate that your pistol is clear, 'If clear, hammer down, holster' is where you pull the trigger on an empty chamber (unless using a revolver) and reholster your gun. If you hear someone say "STOP", stop what you're doing and listen for the RO to give further instructions.

I would also find the match director and let them know that you are new. They will explain the basics to you and make sure that at least someone on your squad helps you out. USPSA is actually a really positive and supportive environment, and people will trip over themselves to help you out as long as you are safe.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Try not to worry about anything, including hitting the target. You're there to learn the game, you can learn to shoot later. You'll suck but nobody cares, we were all there once, everyone just wants you to have fun and be safe.

I'd recommend skimming the rulebook but reading the section on DQs, the most important rules are the safety ones. Ask lots of questions of everyone, everyone is super friendly.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Why not just use your carry setup? The rules were changed recently to allow AIWB holsters outside of open and limited division, so you run that if you like. You're not going to win your first match, so go out there with the gear you're most comfortable with and just try to have fun!

The advice you'll receive from probably everyone is to learn the basic safety rules. The biggest thing that gets new shooters is the 180 rule, so be cognizant of the invisible line to your left and right and make sure that your muzzle doesn't go past it. Learn the basic range commands: 'Make Ready' means that you can draw your pistol to take a sight picture and load your magazine, 'Are You Ready, Stand by' is the preparatory command that you're about to start, 'Unload, show clear' means drop the magazine and rack out the round then demonstrate that your pistol is clear, 'If clear, hammer down, holster' is where you pull the trigger on an empty chamber (unless using a revolver) and reholster your gun. If you hear someone say "STOP", stop what you're doing and listen for the RO to give further instructions.

I would also find the match director and let them know that you are new. They will explain the basics to you and make sure that at least someone on your squad helps you out. USPSA is actually a really positive and supportive environment, and people will trip over themselves to help you out as long as you are safe.

I"m not using my carry gear because I only have two magazines and the organizer said I'd need three. Beyond that I didn't have any magazine holsters for it short of a concealed carry sidecar type setup.

I've contacted the director and they're fully aware that I'm new. I'm going to show up as early as is practical so I can absorb whatever I need to before we start.

Thanks for the info on the commands. I'll try to watch some videos of that and incorporate it into my dry fire practice.

NickBlasta posted:

Try not to worry about anything, including hitting the target. You're there to learn the game, you can learn to shoot later. You'll suck but nobody cares, we were all there once, everyone just wants you to have fun and be safe.

I'd recommend skimming the rulebook but reading the section on DQs, the most important rules are the safety ones. Ask lots of questions of everyone, everyone is super friendly.

Solid plan with the rule book, I'll check it out! Thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

To go back to your first point, I don't know what your range or your matches are like but I wouldn't move while shooting at all.
From each shooting position, get a proper grip and establish a proper sight picture every shot.
I would imagine you have the ability to change mags while moving, although be careful with where you are pointing. If you aren't confident then do a static reload, it's not like you're chasing times.
Walking or slow-hustle between shooting positions is going to be fine too.
Don't worry about being slow.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

~Coxy posted:

To go back to your first point, I don't know what your range or your matches are like but I wouldn't move while shooting at all.
From each shooting position, get a proper grip and establish a proper sight picture every shot.
I would imagine you have the ability to change mags while moving, although be careful with where you are pointing. If you aren't confident then do a static reload, it's not like you're chasing times.
Walking or slow-hustle between shooting positions is going to be fine too.
Don't worry about being slow.

Perhaps I said it wrong. I dont mean I would be shooting while moving, maybe it's best to say I'd be moving between shots or targets. Finger will definitely be off the trigger if the feet are travelling.

All of my shooting has been from a static position and I tend to check out my results before I reload.

Reloading immediately and then shooting again is a new concept for me. As is moving with a loaded firearm to acquire a new target.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 30, 2021

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I would also encourage you to take some video! I know it sounds goofy, but if you stick with this for more than a year, you can always look back at your first match to see how far youíve come

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

It's called CO for a reason:

Charlies
Only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

We all know that accurate is better than fast, but of course accurate IS fast in the sense that you shoot less and take less time if you don't miss.

Anyway, related to that I wanted to share some pictures that illustrate something neat:

Here is a steel challenge stage. The far left plate is the stop plate (shoot that one last to stop the timer, for anyone who doesn't know steel challenge.)

e: The stop plate's probably a good 25m or so away

Here's a closeup

And here it is a couple feet from the side.

See that "halo" of bullet holes in the dirt of the berm?

Every single one of those was a miss that was only an inch or two away from being a hit. In other words, just a teeny change in technique could have turned every single one of those into a hit instead.

That's all, I just think it's a neat visual about how little can separate a poor score from a good one, or a good from a great.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 30, 2021