Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

The best advice Ive ever gotten was to ignore the peanut gallery during your runs.

Having some dude calling hits, thinking hes helping, when the RO doesnt agree with him can really mess up a good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Gray Stormy posted:

The best advice Ive ever gotten was to ignore the peanut gallery during your runs.

Having some dude calling hits, thinking hes helping, when the RO doesnt agree with him can really mess up a good run.

This is 100% good advice and people who do this are obnoxious as hell, but holy poo poo one of the best feelings in the world was smoking one of these guys. He had been to a lot more matches than I had, and was chatting my ear off with unsolicited advice (much of it wrong) and bragging about how good he was. I went after him, and half-way through my first stage I heard him making excuses about why he was slower and saying I was only better because I'm younger. Pure, uncut fuckin' dopamine, mid-stage, hearing that. The rest of the match, he whined about his gun and swore loudly every time he missed a shot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Haha, I encountered that myself. But twist ending!

People were shooting head-to-head in a "duel" setup (e.g. drop all plates before your opponent, LOTS of plates so reloads needed) and meanwhile this guy had for some reason singled me out for unsolicited advice while we were waiting our turn and just went on and on and on.

Then I got matched with him, and beat him.

I thought to myself "that'll shut him up" but to my shock he just picked up right where he left off, telling me how to hold my gun

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

The Eyes Have It posted:

People were shooting head-to-head in a "duel" setup (e.g. drop all plates before your opponent, LOTS of plates so reloads needed) and meanwhile this guy had for some reason singled me out for unsolicited advice while we were waiting our turn. I got matched with him and beat him.

I thought to myself "that'll shut him up" but to my shock he just picked up right where he left off, telling me how to hold my gun

This is especially bad for women shooters. Dudes just love to give women unsolicited shooting advice, even if they're plenty capable.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

As a bigtime scrub I've appreciated all the unsolicited advice I've gotten so far. I've never seen people calling hits and misses during a run though, that sounds annoying af.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

frunksock posted:

As a bigtime scrub I've appreciated all the unsolicited advice I've gotten so far. I've never seen people calling hits and misses during a run though, that sounds annoying af.

I found it super helpful when I was starting out. My first 3gun match has shots out to 500 I was trying to make with a 3x magnifier and one of the guys had a spotting scope out helping me dial in my hits when I couldnt see the splash my misses were making.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Our ROs will tend to tell people to pipe down if they're being a bit too loud, annoying or rowdy.
If you have electronic earpro you can turn it down/off when you're on the line.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The Eyes Have It posted:

People were shooting head-to-head in a "duel" setup (e.g. drop all plates before your opponent, LOTS of plates so reloads needed) and meanwhile this guy had for some reason singled me out for unsolicited advice while we were waiting our turn and just went on and on and on.

Should have started giving him shooting tips. "Let me explain how I shot that match so fast.. you do have note taking gear, right? You're going to write this down - I usually charge people for this advice! "

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

This was a good read.

I've lived my life as the underdog in any physical endeavors I've ever entered. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is sweeter than when you get to stuff some jackass into the dirt when they expect an easy win.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

I've finally purchased a belt and a holster, now I want to learn how to use a holster safely. My use case right now is Steel Challenge so it's an OWB level 1 retention Bladetech for my 1911-22, and a OWB level 2 retention Safariland 579 GLS for my Lionheart LH9.

Is there a video or guide that would teach good habits that I can practice at home with or should I wait for a holster course to have 1 on 1 instruction to not shoot myself in the leg.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The Eyes Have It posted:

That story made me smile. I'm happy other people understand the joy in letting your skill do the talking. I know most of these guys mean well, but I can't take their advice seriously when they don't even know how to hold the gun correctly.

That duel setup sounds so fun. I'd love something like that. I wish local ranges would do more steel matches like that because its fun and theres less waiting around.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB7wado3fXI

Got my first match win this weekend, super stoked

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

My internet sucks so I canít watch the video, but congrats!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Well done! That looked like a hoot!

My match was cancelled due to easters so I'm going to keep practicing, probably change out the sights on my pistol, and wait for the next announcement(s).

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Also a public service announcement: if you're going to be doing multi-gun matches, buy a holster with active retention, something like a safariland ALS, Blackhawk omnivore, or similar. We had nearly 10% of our shooters yesterday DQ for guns coming out of holsters on active movement. Keep a holster specific for USPSA/IDPA etc that has barely any because you don't need it, but have something that actively holds onto your gun for when you're running around like crazy.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Also a public service announcement: if you're going to be doing multi-gun matches, buy a holster with active retention, something like a safariland ALS, Blackhawk omnivore, or similar. We had nearly 10% of our shooters yesterday DQ for guns coming out of holsters on active movement. Keep a holster specific for USPSA/IDPA etc that has barely any because you don't need it, but have something that actively holds onto your gun for when you're running around like crazy.

And you can always strap a bungee cord over the grip of your gun to hold it in, even if your holster doesn't have any fancy retention mechanisms.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Nice runs!

Also I'm finding it interesting that level 2 retention hoods are being recommended, a lot of people at matches I've met have always assumed that they were for competitors practicing for LE/MIL stuff

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I don't have a hooded holster, just a thumb button.

e also there was a scoring/practiscore error and I was actually 3rd overall but still first open

[Man celebrating bronze medal comic strip .gif]

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I don't have a hooded holster, just a thumb button.

e also there was a scoring/practiscore error and I was actually 3rd overall but still first open

[Man celebrating bronze medal comic strip .gif]

how could you lie to us, the competition megathread, like that?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

youíre a winner alright

of the LYING COMPETITION

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Time Crisis Actor posted:

you’re a winner alright

of the LYING COMPETITION

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Not gonna lie I'm still pretty chuffed about 3rd

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ffff. Was going to a PRS match this weekend but came down with what is possibly covid. (still waiting for test results) and have to spend the entire week coughing my lungs up and feeling sorry for myself.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

Hereís a video I put together comparing my stage runs (Open/B) versus one of my friends (CO/GM). I think it does a pretty good job of showing the differences in stage planning, movement, and gun handling between middle of the road folks and GMs. Even when accounting for differences in equipment between Open and CO.

https://youtu.be/75zFcahQ9nQ

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hereís a video I put together comparing my stage runs (Open/B) versus one of my friends (CO/GM). I think it does a pretty good job of showing the differences in stage planning, movement, and gun handling between middle of the road folks and GMs. Even when accounting for differences in equipment between Open and CO.

https://youtu.be/75zFcahQ9nQ

That was a really cool comparison.

It also made me feel like a piece of poo poo. I feel like a thoroughly mediocre shooter, and yeah the GM was blazing fast, but your runs also looked blazing fast. What I'm saying is, if and when I ever get classified, I'm probably solidly in D class, which is sort of depressing considering I've been shooting for more than thirty years and even won a Level I IPSC match once.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

infrared35 posted:

That was a really cool comparison.

It also made me feel like a piece of poo poo. I feel like a thoroughly mediocre shooter, and yeah the GM was blazing fast, but your runs also looked blazing fast. What I'm saying is, if and when I ever get classified, I'm probably solidly in D class, which is sort of depressing considering I've been shooting for more than thirty years and even won a Level I IPSC match once.

IR35 + GS = B class 4 lyfe

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gray Stormy posted:

IR35 + GS = B class 4 lyfe

I would love to find out, someday, if I'm a B-class shooter or not. Unfortunately the nearest IPSC club doesn't run classifiers, and the nearest USPSA club is a three-hour drive and always has matches on the weekends that I work.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

Plenty of people shooting the Mitten Match, you'll be able to approximate your class based on your division standings.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Some months back I saw a video showcasing a 3d stage building app that looked really good. Does anyone know if there is something in-progress or available? Google isn't helping. It was a dedicated app for stage building it wasn't sketch-up or anything like that.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I52SIqWAB8o

It has a Steam page too

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

Went into a match this weekend feeling pretty good. I'm just one 75% classifier away from making A, after being stuck in B class for close to two years. It was 18-04, "Didn't You Send the Mailman", which I had shot back in March and not done well on. In March I shot it in 5.02 with 1A, 4C, 1M (put one low left on the last shot for no reason!)

This weekend I went in with the mentality of "Shoot more Alphas", and taking a little more time. Draw went pretty well, I put two in the alpha zone with okay splits. Reload went alright, then I went close A/C on the left target and A/C on the last target. 28 points in 5.14, which is 5.4474HF in open major

I needed 5.45 to make A class
Literally 0.0026HF away

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Went into a match this weekend feeling pretty good. I'm just one 75% classifier away from making A, after being stuck in B class for close to two years. It was 18-04, "Didn't You Send the Mailman", which I had shot back in March and not done well on. In March I shot it in 5.02 with 1A, 4C, 1M (put one low left on the last shot for no reason!)

This weekend I went in with the mentality of "Shoot more Alphas", and taking a little more time. Draw went pretty well, I put two in the alpha zone with okay splits. Reload went alright, then I went close A/C on the left target and A/C on the last target. 28 points in 5.14, which is 5.4474HF in open major

I needed 5.45 to make A class
Literally 0.0026HF away

At least you're classified! I've been shooting IDPA and IPSC for fifteen years and remain unclassified in both.

I just want to quantify how much I suck.