Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but it seems to fit so I'm going to ask.

I get a wordfence report once a week, and for the past couple of weeks I've had several attempts from people trying to login to my wordpress website with my admin user account login name (it is not admin). Not sure how they figured it out, but its a little disconcerting. It isn't a ton of login attempts, like maybe 10 a week, but still, I don't like to see it.

Is this something I should actually be worried about? I do have 2 factor turned on to login, so if they somehow get the password they still shouldn't be able to get in. I don't think I can change the user name, though if I had to I suppose I could create a different user account and just make that one the admin. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but it seems to fit so I'm going to ask.

I get a wordfence report once a week, and for the past couple of weeks I've had several attempts from people trying to login to my wordpress website with my admin user account login name (it is not admin). Not sure how they figured it out, but its a little disconcerting. It isn't a ton of login attempts, like maybe 10 a week, but still, I don't like to see it.

Is this something I should actually be worried about? I do have 2 factor turned on to login, so if they somehow get the password they still shouldn't be able to get in. I don't think I can change the user name, though if I had to I suppose I could create a different user account and just make that one the admin. Thoughts?

Wordpress is one of those apps that you have to be on top of, you have to keep up with updates and you need to make sure the updates does not cause things to break.

just make sure your password is unique compared to other sites, everyone knows our password these days.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rawrbomb posted:

Yeah, those entries should be em6847.domain.org without the secondary hostname. The sender auth process should go into a "validated" state, once you get it setup.

You can use something like mxtoolbox or digwebinterface to query the DNS directly and verify your records match what they gave you as well.

Yeah, I had not realized the DNS appended the domain on them.

Long story short, got them updated and it's all good! Thanks everyone!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

PleasantDilemma posted:

I've heard fastmail is good for hosting email and they aren't one of the big clouds. Today I was actually trying to sign up for icloud email but the app kept giving me an error. They support custom domain and the price looks really good. I'm looking to switch off runbox.com since I've had some delivery issues.

I am looking to move my custom domain email from google (had it since 2009 in the free plan but for more than a year now google just got greedy and they're asking tons of money. I'm just about to finish my grace period this month with them.) I saw in the other replies information about setting up cloudflare with email forwarding. How do you send email from that email address then?

Second question, which is why I quoted above post: I researched fastmail a bit and people are saying good things about them. Their custom domain plan is significantly cheaper than google and microsoft. Are there any problems that people have experienced with them? Other than fastmail or that cloudflare solution is there nothing out there but to go give money to google or microsoft?

I just need 3 users.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The free gapps accounts got to stay free after too many people complained. Check to see if you really need to do this first. You might need to contact support to get it to stick around as I recall I had to opt into keeping free gapps but that is probably a lot less effort and cheaper than migrating.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Inceltown posted:

The free gapps accounts got to stay free after too many people complained. Check to see if you really need to do this first. You might need to contact support to get it to stick around as I recall I had to opt into keeping free gapps but that is probably a lot less effort and cheaper than migrating.

omg, really? holy poo poo, never heard about that. ok, I suppose I can contact the google support AI, and see where I can go from there ... It's been a year or two since they switched on to full greed mode, hopefully there wasn't a period when one could keep their free account.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Volguus posted:

I am looking to move my custom domain email from google (had it since 2009 in the free plan but for more than a year now google just got greedy and they're asking tons of money. I'm just about to finish my grace period this month with them.) I saw in the other replies information about setting up cloudflare with email forwarding. How do you send email from that email address then?

Second question, which is why I quoted above post: I researched fastmail a bit and people are saying good things about them. Their custom domain plan is significantly cheaper than google and microsoft. Are there any problems that people have experienced with them? Other than fastmail or that cloudflare solution is there nothing out there but to go give money to google or microsoft?

I just need 3 users.

1 - I use CF to forward to Gmail currently and you just setup your forwarded email addresses in Gmail as 'send as' accounts so you can choose whether you're sending from a custom email or your Gmail or whatever. Seems to work fine for me. It validates each email you add this way with an auth email sent to that address to make sure you control it. It's all free and works fine for my needs.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Aware posted:

1 - I use CF to forward to Gmail currently and you just setup your forwarded email addresses in Gmail as 'send as' accounts so you can choose whether you're sending from a custom email or your Gmail or whatever. Seems to work fine for me. It validates each email you add this way with an auth email sent to that address to make sure you control it. It's all free and works fine for my needs.

butting into this convo to say did not know gmail had this feature. What do I set as the username and password here to go through my cloudflare alias?

I already have my gmail account receiving from my cloudflare alias, but not sure how to configure outgoing email

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 3, 2024

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Volguus posted:

I just need 3 users.

I've been using Fastmail for over 10 years for about 20/30 users and they've always been absolutely fine. Maybe a couple of brief outages in all that time. No deliverability issues. You don't pay anything for custom domains - just add them to your account and then point the domain at the fastmail nameservers.

They make you create a separate password to use for IMAP compared to webmail which is slightly annoying, but no big deal.

The price is reasonable but if you exceed the 30gb tier there's a big jump to the much more expensive 200gb tier, so keep that in mind if your mailboxes are large.

I actually just started slowly moving to https://www.infomaniak.com/en/hosting/service-mail
They're well established, have a really good admin interface, and it's incredibly cheap if you just want the email service.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thank you very much everyone, that is quite helpful information.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Another question about switching email providers. Is there a tool to copy my existing emails to a new host? IMAP to IMAP? Google brings up guides that say my mail will stay in my client which is true, but is like to consolidate on one server.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

PleasantDilemma posted:

Another question about switching email providers. Is there a tool to copy my existing emails to a new host? IMAP to IMAP? Google brings up guides that say my mail will stay in my client which is true, but is like to consolidate on one server.

https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync

It’s a very simple tool that you can run

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

PleasantDilemma posted:

If you have both accounts in a single mail client you can copy and paste.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Inceltown posted:

I am goddamn livid at only finding this out now, because they've discontinued the back-to-free option as of last August and have now raised prices again. It's simply not worth the base minimum of $33ish a month.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

PleasantDilemma posted:

Like RoboBoogie said, Imapsync is probably what you want.
The dev has an online version here:
https://imapsync.lamiral.info/X/

When you switch DNS MX records to a new email provider there's a brief window (although it can last up to 24 hours) where emails can either end up in the new or old mailbox. If you run Imapsync periodically throughout this window then you can make sure any stray emails end up in the new location.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

RoboBoogie posted:

https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync

It’s a very simple tool that you can run

Trip report: of my 19k mails it copied 15k and had an "append error" on the rest. Will dig into getting the last over but this is exactly the kind of tool that I was looking for, thanks.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

PleasantDilemma posted:

Trip report: of my 19k mails it copied 15k and had an "append error" on the rest. Will dig into getting the last over but this is exactly the kind of tool that I was looking for, thanks.

run it again, it will skip the 15K and continues chugging along

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

teen phone cutie posted:

butting into this convo to say did not know gmail had this feature. What do I set as the username and password here to go through my cloudflare alias?

I already have my gmail account receiving from my cloudflare alias, but not sure how to configure outgoing email

Sorry for the late reply but I don't think you need to send via another SMTP service for these send as email, I don't have any of that configured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

teen phone cutie posted:

gmail settings -> accounts -> send mail as -> add another email address