Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean, I bought in June 2014 when $30/yr for a throwaway VPS to dick around and script on and occasionally host the odd dumb web page or video was fine. Nowadays, I can probably get an actual provider for pennies more and will as soon as I can get a free weekend to set it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
You get what you pay for. Pennies more will put you in the same boat for a VPS, oversold and undermanaged.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
$3.50 a month gets you an AWS lightsail instance.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Twerk from Home posted:

$3.50 a month gets you an AWS lightsail instance.

Yeah, this what I was talking about.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Lightsail is still poo poo performance from what I surveyed. IP reputation is quite bad on those machines too. You're better off sticking with Vultr; that's what I build out my platform releases on, completes in a hour. Lightsail was well north of double the time and CPU nearly a tenth.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

What's a "storage array provider"? If you're a provider of storage arrays, don't you know how they work and how to ship drives off to a data recovery company to have the array rebuilt and data recovered?
Who thinks buying new drives to install in a failed array will work if the off the shelf drives they already had wouldn't work.

Also, who waits a month to inform customers the server is down? This sounds like a company ran by a 16 year old, run away :q:

It's $2 openvz. I expect it to be absolute flaming poo poo.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Is a $5 DigitalOcean droplet good enough to run a small React/Spring app that will be used by about 20-30 people at a time for signing in to events by entering a code a couple of times a week? And would I also be able to run a Postgres DB from that same droplet without issue or would I need to get another one going?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
If you need to you can always resize the droplet. Linode or Vultr give you better bang for your buck.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

i vomit kittens posted:

Is a $5 DigitalOcean droplet good enough to run a small React/Spring app that will be used by about 20-30 people at a time for signing in to events by entering a code a couple of times a week? And would I also be able to run a Postgres DB from that same droplet without issue or would I need to get another one going?

That should be completely ok. I’d be surprised if you need more.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nem posted:

Lightsail is still poo poo performance from what I surveyed. IP reputation is quite bad on those machines too. You're better off sticking with Vultr; that's what I build out my platform releases on, completes in a hour. Lightsail was well north of double the time and CPU nearly a tenth.

This is pretty cool info, thanks. My expectations for super-cheap VPSes are pretty low, but it's interesting that Linode and Vultr appear to be less oversubscribed on CPU.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So I guess one of the free goon accounts I got a long time ago from a provider I won't mention is killing my account (understandably, but kind of disappointed at the verbiage; but I digress).

The funny part is that it's an interesting domain name that gets some crazy number of hits and this provider basically gets free advertising since I don't have any content up, it shows a default "WELCOME TO X HOSTING"

I guess it'll force me to find a legit provider and start serving some ads. I mostly lurk in this thread but I'm glad to have read it to get a decent idea of the ins and outs.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Well crap, nixihost.com, who I got started with here forever ago, are apparently not offering addon domains anymore. They suggested switching to their professional hosting but that's like an 8x increase or something and not worth it for the quiet single page websites I'm hosting. What's my best option, lithium for new stuff and then migrate everything over when my account expires in a year?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aga. posted:

Well crap, nixihost.com, who I got started with here forever ago, are apparently not offering addon domains anymore. They suggested switching to their professional hosting but that's like an 8x increase or something and not worth it for the quiet single page websites I'm hosting. What's my best option, lithium for new stuff and then migrate everything over when my account expires in a year?

How simple are we talking? Could an S3 bucket serving a static website work?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hey guys, I need some help with hosting. I don't know what i'm doing. Here is the timeline of events:

- I have a very small website, that just has my portfolio for job applications etc.
- It was hosted by a small IT company I used to work with.
- They have suddenly shut up shop and disappeared. I can't get hold of them.
- My website is offline, since their company, and hosting have ended.
- I need to get my website back up, as I am trying to apply for freelance work.
- I made a backup on the wordpress, while i was still up, so I might be able to get some / most of the content back.

My question is:

How do I go about getting my website back online? I still have access to the domain company (123reg), but I don't know / understand if my website is still somehow connected to the hosting company that is offline, or if its gone completely, and I just have the domain now.

I don't really know what i'm doing, and just want to get my website back online. I don't have access to the Cpanel or anything like that. Just the domain place.

Any advice would be appreciated :(

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

henpod posted:

Hey guys, I need some help with hosting. I don't know what i'm doing. Here is the timeline of events:

- I have a very small website, that just has my portfolio for job applications etc.
- It was hosted by a small IT company I used to work with.
- They have suddenly shut up shop and disappeared. I can't get hold of them.
- My website is offline, since their company, and hosting have ended.
- I need to get my website back up, as I am trying to apply for freelance work.
- I made a backup on the wordpress, while i was still up, so I might be able to get some / most of the content back.

My question is:

How do I go about getting my website back online? I still have access to the domain company (123reg), but I don't know / understand if my website is still somehow connected to the hosting company that is offline, or if its gone completely, and I just have the domain now.

I don't really know what i'm doing, and just want to get my website back online. I don't have access to the Cpanel or anything like that. Just the domain place.

Any advice would be appreciated :(

Do you have the ability to edit your domain’s records in your registrar’s dashboard (e.g. A/AAAA, CNAME records)?

If so, you’ll probably find a bunch of A records pointing to the IPv4 address of where your site was previously being hosted.

The first step is get your app hosted, find out the IPv4 (and optionally IPv6) address of the server, and edit all the A records to point to the new address.

At the least, you should have 2 A records - 1 for
code:
www.mysite.com
and 1 for
code:
mysite.com
Once that’s done (depending on whether you’re self-hosting or not), you’ll need to set up rules in Nginx or Apache or whatever web server you’re using and tell it to point mysite.com to the appropriate directory on your server.

If you’re not self hosting, i’d assume there’s a way to do this in some kind of cPanel dashboard or whatever.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Thanks for your reply. I should have said that I know nothing about hosting and all of this stuff.

I think I found these A records you are talking about. This is as far as I got before I no longer understand what you're saying...:(

{img][/img]

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

henpod posted:

I don't know / understand if my website is still somehow connected to the hosting company that is offline, or if its gone completely, and I just have the domain now.

I don't think this is a question this thread can answer, at least not without knowing who you host was/is

henpod posted:

How do I go about getting my website back online?

If your old host are gone for good, find a new one, restore your backup, and point your domain's A records at the new host's IP

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

henpod posted:

Thanks for your reply. I should have said that I know nothing about hosting and all of this stuff.

I think I found these A records you are talking about. This is as far as I got before I no longer understand what you're saying...:(

{img][/img]

Your nameservers are set to Nimbus Hosting - https://www.nimbushosting.co.uk/
Looks like maybe your old host was a reseller or something.

Like Rufas Ping said, just choose a new host and set your nameservers to them or A records if you need to manage your own DNS.
Install wordpress and restore your backup. Maybe look for a host that's been around for more than a decade and is the SA Forum favorite :D

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Christ, what a ballache. Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I've got a question about domain registrars and their renewal prices. Cloudflare offers a "you pay what we pay" deal for domain renewals which sounds good, but would it be true that if another registrar negotiated a better deal with the tld holder (.xyz) that it would be cheaper to keep the domain not on cloudflare? Or do the tld holders just have a set price? Not sure how much I should shop around or if I should just stick it on cloudflare and be done with it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

but would it be true that if another registrar negotiated a better deal with the tld holder (.xyz) that it would be cheaper to keep the domain not on cloudflare?
If a registrar did strike such a deal to get a discount on the normal registry price, you'd likely never find out. For all we know, Cloudflare could be doing it themselves and keeping the difference! (I would guess this is not currently true however.)

Having said that, I don't think I've seen domains sold below the officially stated registry cost, other than in loss-leader promotions for new registrations only.

I actually got a .com for free as a kid in the late 90s, presumably because of all the .com boom VC money washing around. I think they imagined they would recoup the cost on renewals, but actually went out of business lol

Actuarial Fables posted:

Not sure how much I should shop around or if I should just stick it on cloudflare and be done with it.

Just stick with them

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Removed while I figure some stuff out.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 23, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I need a good host that's cheap and reliable that I can throw development links on to show clients. Lithium was my choice for years, but I've had a bunch of problems with it lately such as incredibly slow imports with WordPress migration tools, if they even succeed at all. It's painful because most of what I do is developing locally, exporting, and importing doesn't work anymore.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My boss wants me to find a way to track client downloads (who and when). We host client data on S3 (our servers are on AWS). There's no native way to do this, it seems. I found an app called S3Stat. Anybody ever use it or have other suggestions?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

LifeLynx posted:

I need a good host that's cheap and reliable that I can throw development links on to show clients. Lithium was my choice for years, but I've had a bunch of problems with it lately such as incredibly slow imports with WordPress migration tools, if they even succeed at all. It's painful because most of what I do is developing locally, exporting, and importing doesn't work anymore.

That sounds very odd, you should submit a ticket so we can look into it :)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

My boss wants me to find a way to track client downloads (who and when). We host client data on S3 (our servers are on AWS). There's no native way to do this, it seems

S3 has "server access logging" which should do what you want

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

S3 has "server access logging" which should do what you want

So I've got logging enabled, which produces a text file full of garbage. Is there a reallly basic how-to out there on how to interpret these things, using Cloudfront or something. I've been reading the manuals on AWS and it's not helping. It's just a daisy chain of tutorials, none of which are entirely clear they're going to do what I want them to, which is simply tell me the time and source of a file download.

To be clear, today was the first day I've even accessed the AWS console. I've only ever used S3 browser to upload files. But AWS it's becoming clear, is a whole thing. Feel like I need to take a class to get a handle on it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So I've got logging enabled, which produces a text file full of garbage. Is there a reallly basic how-to out there on how to interpret these things, using Cloudfront or something. I've been reading the manuals on AWS and it's not helping. It's just a daisy chain of tutorials, none of which are entirely clear they're going to do what I want them to, which is simply tell me the time and source of a file download.

To be clear, today was the first day I've even accessed the AWS console. I've only ever used S3 browser to upload files. But AWS it's becoming clear, is a whole thing. Feel like I need to take a class to get a handle on it.

Each line in the log corresponds to a request, and the fields are separated by spaces (fields with spaces are enclosed in quotes). You should be able to open it in Excel or write a simple script to parse it.

The fields include the remote IP (I assume this is what you mean by "source"?), the date and time, and the key (filename)

(If you have CloudFront in front of S3 I'm not sure whether/how that affects the remote IP which gets reported)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Do you have CloudTrail turned on? If so, you can use CloudWatch Insights on that log stream. This query does it:

code:
fields @timestamp, eventName, requestParameters.key, @message
| filter eventSource like /s3/ and eventName like /GetObject/ and requestParameters.bucketName='<BUCKET NAME>' and errorCode not like /AccessDenied/
| sort @timestamp desc

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'm a Spec. Ed. teacher and I need to make an extremely basic HTML website that my students can access to download PDFs of worksheets, see announcements, etc. Everything is online now with covid-19 and I'm trying to not let these guys fall through the cracks. The more full-featured solutions the school district offers would be great if someone was working with them to teach them the procedures, but they won't have anyone to help them, and so I think this will work best for now.

I'm imagining a one-page site with a checklist, maybe one or two PDFs or DOCs at a time, and my contact info. Maybe some very basic CSS if not just HTML. As straightforward and uncluttered as possible.

AngryHostying's price is right but is there anything I should be thinking about in terms of costs or hosting problems? Will I suddenly be out money if I somehow blow the sites bandwidth or something?

I've only used one stop shops like Wix and WordPress before so this is all new to me.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

just another posted:

I'm a Spec. Ed. teacher and I need to make an extremely basic HTML website that my students can access to download PDFs of worksheets, see announcements, etc. Everything is online now with covid-19 and I'm trying to not let these guys fall through the cracks. The more full-featured solutions the school district offers would be great if someone was working with them to teach them the procedures, but they won't have anyone to help them, and so I think this will work best for now.

I'm imagining a one-page site with a checklist, maybe one or two PDFs or DOCs at a time, and my contact info. Maybe some very basic CSS if not just HTML. As straightforward and uncluttered as possible.

AngryHostying's price is right but is there anything I should be thinking about in terms of costs or hosting problems? Will I suddenly be out money if I somehow blow the sites bandwidth or something?

I've only used one stop shops like Wix and WordPress before so this is all new to me.

linode has nanodes

$ 5 /MO 1 GB Ram 1 CPU Core 25 GB SSD 1 TB Transfer

https://www.linode.com/products/nanodes/

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

wargames posted:

linode has nanodes

$ 5 /MO 1 GB Ram 1 CPU Core 25 GB SSD 1 TB Transfer

https://www.linode.com/products/nanodes/

he wants something "extremely basic", not a linux server to set up and run

just another posted:

Can you not use these to set up a single page site? I believe wordpress.com allows you to attach PDFs to posts

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

just another posted:

Do you need help coding something up as well as hosting? AWS S3 free tier might be a good option for you that’s pretty easy to set up and wouldn’t require any maintenance.

Edit: sticking to Wix is a good option too - if cost is a problem try reaching out to their support. They may be able to accommodate.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 5, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Do you need help coding something up as well as hosting? AWS S3 free tier might be a good option for you that’s pretty easy to set up and wouldn’t require any maintenance.

I don't think so. My HTML skills are circa 1999 Angelfire websites with some CSS knowledge but I think that'd be enough for my purposes.

Also thanks for the responses everyone. If they can host documents for download then maybe I'll just go the Wix or Wordpress route.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just use a drag and drop site maker like Weebly or Squarespace. Weebly has a free tier. You do not need html or CSS or to host anything, you just drag and drop.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Weebly, GitHub Pages, Netlify, Wix, SquareSpace are all great options.

Don't spin up a server though incurring the custodial responsibilities of being a system administrator. That's diving into the deep end when all you need to do is wade in the kiddie pool and some awful advice at that too.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is creating something in Google Docs and sharing it with view only permissions an option? For the attachments, you can upload them to Google Drive and link to those copies of the files.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

fletcher posted:

Is creating something in Google Docs and sharing it with view only permissions an option? For the attachments, you can upload them to Google Drive and link to those copies of the files.

Yeah, this... I've never understood the need to setup a website to share a PDF or other files. There are so many Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive solutions out there that make this so easy.
Add file to folder, right click and share or get link. Email the link and you're done.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

You're underestimating how much the straightforwardness of something like Google Docs is a result of a more broad familiarity with tech ecosystems. Like Shakespeare is hard, but it's less hard when you have a strong command of the English language, and it's much more hard if you're only literate at a grade 2 level.

The reality for most of my students is that they're primarily accessing the web via their phones, probably leeching wifi from a public hot spot because they don't have internet at home. Average reading level around grade 4, very low ability to work through a novel problem, very low working memory. That's why I was thinking a static website with a simple URL, no registration requirements, and a completely basic layout would have been the best.

Anyway I found Wix tedious so I bought a domain and the basic hosting at AngryHosting but now all I get is a 403 error so that's how my adventure in web design is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

just another posted:

You're underestimating how much the straightforwardness of something like Google Docs is a result of a more broad familiarity with tech ecosystems. Like Shakespeare is hard, but it's less hard when you have a strong command of the English language, and it's much more hard if you're only literate at a grade 2 level.

The reality for most of my students is that they're primarily accessing the web via their phones, probably leeching wifi from a public hot spot because they don't have internet at home. Average reading level around grade 4, very low ability to work through a novel problem, very low working memory. That's why I was thinking a static website with a simple URL, no registration requirements, and a completely basic layout would have been the best.

Anyway I found Wix tedious so I bought a domain and the basic hosting at AngryHosting but now all I get is a 403 error so that's how my adventure in web design is going.

I fail to see how it's a challenge for someone to click:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqurapx6yngho68/sample_file.pdf?dl=0

If you already have one of these services, it's super easy to just send a link to a file. No account required on their end, just click and download or view in the browser like this PDF.

Dropbox even allows commenting which can be useful depending on the use case.