Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I am having a weird issue with a dedicated server I have that I haven't really encountered before and is beyond my basic knowledge. It's a plex server, if that makes a difference.

Can I post questions about how it runs/how it works in here and get some support? Or is there a better place to post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I am having a weird issue with a dedicated server I have that I haven't really encountered before and is beyond my basic knowledge. It's a plex server, if that makes a difference.

Can I post questions about how it runs/how it works in here and get some support? Or is there a better place to post?

Ask. Worst case if nobody has any ideas they can direct you to a thread where someone else might know

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Bob Morales posted:

Ask. Worst case if nobody has any ideas they can direct you to a thread where someone else might know

Okay!

So I have this plex server in Finland that I've had as a shared server for a few years now. I just upgraded to a dedicated one and unfortunately was getting similar (very slow) sftp and browser download speeds. I went back and forth with support who was a huge help, but after learning about and doing MTRs from the server to me, me to the server, and the server to a friend in my city on a different isp who gets speeds I would expect, the problem lies in about 85%-90% packet loss at a single point through a tier 1 company called Telia.

The internet is full of complaints about them it seems, but is there anything I can do to route through someone who isn't telia? I figure that's up to my ISP but I don't know a lot about this stuff and am in a bit over my head. The only solution I can think of is switching ISPs but that's going from DSL to Cable and not what I really want to be doing.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Telia rate limits ICMP on their routers, it's unlikely you'll even have passable connectivity at 90% pl. They're also so large in the nordics that you'll be hard pressed to avoid them unless you find one that has mutual IX peering.

Who is your ISP, who is your hosting provider, ideally provide a test IP for all parties involved (first 3 octets, you can drop the last one)

Usually the cheapest way is just changing hosting providers.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Biowarfare posted:

Telia rate limits ICMP on their routers, it's unlikely you'll even have passable connectivity at 90% pl. They're also so large in the nordics that you'll be hard pressed to avoid them unless you find one that has mutual IX peering.

Who is your ISP, who is your hosting provider, ideally provide a test IP for all parties involved (first 3 octets, you can drop the last one)

Usually the cheapest way is just changing hosting providers.

Yeah that's what I figured :( My SFTP speeds will spike to 1.5MBps, and then drop down to like...10kbps.

My ISP is Telus, my friends is Shaw (both western Canada).

Server IP 185.148.3

My IP: 154.20.191

Friends IP: 174.7.115

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
lol pulsed is like the cheapest rear end single-upstream seedbox provider there, i wouldn't blame telia for this...

they basically have one default route / one provider and can't do much for traffic routing or peering or w/e for you, aleksi is a cool guy but they don't really run or manage their own small-ish network, just interconnect with another finnish provider as a customer

does multithreading help at all?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Biowarfare posted:

lol pulsed is like the cheapest rear end single-upstream seedbox provider there, i wouldn't blame telia for this...

they basically have one default route / one provider and can't do much for traffic routing or peering or w/e for you, aleksi is a cool guy but they don't really run or manage their own small-ish network, just interconnect with another finnish provider as a customer

does multithreading help at all?

Bummer :( yeah he's always been good to me but I guess I could have done more research before just staying with the same seedbox provider for a dedicated server.

I was using winscp and I don't think it supports multithreading? I also don't really know what multithreading is or if I'm doing it right.

Let's say I switched providers, there are probably better ones to go with?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
See if you can download in a different way, like set up a webserver and use multiple connections / a download manager, instead of using winscp.

WinSCP also in itself isn't very fast / SCP isn't very fast in general compared to, say, HTTP/3 or QUIC.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I'm a pulsed customer, for quicker downloads I'll go to the 'access Data directory directly for HTTP downloads' page and use a download manager that supports chunks etc for large single files. Don't know how if that helps.

While we are on the subject, I've been a customer for like, 10+ years, but is there another shared seedbox host I should be looking at for my $12/mo?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Biowarfare posted:

See if you can download in a different way, like set up a webserver and use multiple connections / a download manager, instead of using winscp.

WinSCP also in itself isn't very fast / SCP isn't very fast in general compared to, say, HTTP/3 or QUIC.

That's good to know! I'll give other ways of downloading a try.

Ceros_X posted:

I'm a pulsed customer, for quicker downloads I'll go to the 'access Data directory directly for HTTP downloads' page and use a download manager that supports chunks etc for large single files. Don't know how if that helps.

It does! What download manager do you use?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Claes Oldenburger posted:

That's good to know! I'll give other ways of downloading a try.

It does! What download manager do you use?

DownThemAll for the download manager and FileZilla for SFTP client

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ceros_X posted:

DownThemAll for the download manager and FileZilla for SFTP client

Thank you! It didn't work super well but I appreciate the tips.

I have a weird maybe solution. My work has a fast and capable connection on the ISP that does not have any packet loss. Is it possible to download through that connection with a raspberry pi or something?

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

I have a question about hosting for a financial services business. For compliance reasons you have to keep a record of all your client communications for three years. This has been interpreted to mean things like every iteration of your website/blog needs to be archived and presumably searchable so you can find things quickly. Like the state auditor shows up, wants to see what the website said on July 7, and in a reasonable period of time you have to provide that.

There are companies that provide this service, with one example being twentyoverten. But it's basically Squarespace for $110/month and I'm just trying to save money where I can while we startup.

Is there some better/cheaper/easier way to do this, assuming my tech knowledge is limited to setting up a Wordpress site? I'm just trying to avoid paying that extra cost if I can. I haven't found any better options, but I thought I'd ask here in case I'm missing something obvious or easy. Thanks!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Export wordpress backup via API every 24h to S3 bucket?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have some generic questions. Looking at overhauling a friends automotive webstore from 2003 - I wish I was kidding. I've been outta building sites since early 2000's. It's low volume, maybe 4-5 figures a month, maybe 20-100 transactions.
1) Is Magento 2 as good as the ~50 results google spits back?
2) Is there a preferred hosting company? I see Bluehost and others. This guy is cheap...

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
You get what you pay for. If he's cheap maybe running an online store isn't for him. That being said, Shopify will save you the headache that is Magento 2 Adobe Edition.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That's a good point and I just read back a few pages. I'll check out these.

"You should not code or host an ecommerce + marketing site. I build web app daily and for your use case even I wouldn't bother. I'd simply compare the following places to see which one best fit my needs: Webflow, Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly"

I'm trying to find the balance of something that's decent and supports a good sized (1000+ items), easy to find inventory of parts and that's easy to update/manage/integrate payment solutions.
100% not my job, but when you see your friend loosing sales due to a crappy website - sometimes ya just gotta help if you can.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
He's going to lose more when you bushwhack an e-commerce site and leave him in the lurch. PCI fines aren't cheap. Best to remotely host it unless you know what you're doing; alternative is you stay on board and be the custodian of his site...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Ahh yes- should have made that clear. No intention to self host or use a VPS. Just looking for the best remotely hosted options.
Been there, done that. Happy to have him pay $100/m so I'm not having to be the support dude.
And most likely I will be the long term custodian. It's been a problem for the 10 years I've known him. Don't see that changing.

For my own person adventures, I'm looking at something like cloud ways. I just don't have time to build/update boxes anymore.
https://www.cloudways.com/en/amazon-cloud-hosting.php?id=65658&CHAN=awstut1

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

the spyder posted:

Ahh yes- should have made that clear. No intention to self host or use a VPS. Just looking for the best remotely hosted options.
Been there, done that. Happy to have him pay $100/m so I'm not having to be the support dude.
And most likely I will be the long term custodian. It's been a problem for the 10 years I've known him. Don't see that changing.

For my own person adventures, I'm looking at something like cloud ways. I just don't have time to build/update boxes anymore.
https://www.cloudways.com/en/amazon-cloud-hosting.php?id=65658&CHAN=awstut1

Shopify

Also, don't use cloudways. Really lovely spammers and shills, I see them banned on HN all the time - always fake reviews.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Awesome, that's why I asked here. I'll start looking at Shopify.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone here use Hetzner? They're not letting me use my credit card because it doesn't support 2fa for payments, but I've never heard of a credit card supporting 2fa in North America.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
It's called Strong Customer Authentication and was introduced as part of PSD2. It's like the verified by visa / MasterCard securecode interstitial but it can send you a one time pass

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cool, maybe the US can get that in another ten years like with EMV.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I know almost nothing about AWS, but am trying to deal with some load issues our CMS vendor is having on AWS. They currently have us on an m4.xlarge EC2 instance for our web server, but it looks like we're pretty consistently out of memory. We could go to an m4.2xlarge instance, but that'd be more money per month and the place I work for is basically out of money. Our CMS vendor has suggested trying to move our instance from an m4.xlarge to an r5.xlarge, which has the same CPU specs as we have currently but double the ram. Will AWS even let him do that? Is there any downside to trying this?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What kind of abomination of a CMS is this? Do you have source access to deploy it on cheaper hardware ("the place I work for is basically out of money" especially)?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Biowarfare posted:

What kind of abomination of a CMS is this? Do you have source access to deploy it on cheaper hardware ("the place I work for is basically out of money" especially)?

It's Kentico, backed by a proprietary print publishing CMS. There's also a 4xl SQL server in the mix too, from what I understand. Under normal traffic the site is fine (we get 5-10million pageviews per month), but when we publish new articles everything grinds to a halt and the PUBLIC sites go down. This is embarrassing. The CMS vendor who provides all this stuff thinks this is fine, but i've had to stay on them to try and come up with a solution. Obviously there's other stuff we could do to improve things (add a CDN, load balancer, etc.), but all of that stuff is expensive and they don't want to spend any more money. So changing the instance type is the first free thing they want to try.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

frogbs posted:

I know almost nothing about AWS, but am trying to deal with some load issues our CMS vendor is having on AWS. They currently have us on an m4.xlarge EC2 instance for our web server, but it looks like we're pretty consistently out of memory. We could go to an m4.2xlarge instance, but that'd be more money per month and the place I work for is basically out of money. Our CMS vendor has suggested trying to move our instance from an m4.xlarge to an r5.xlarge, which has the same CPU specs as we have currently but double the ram. Will AWS even let him do that? Is there any downside to trying this?

Nope, that's exactly what instance classes are for, use r5/r4 to save money if your app is memory bound. If you were to use something like cloudfront and downsize your instance sizes you may be able to achieve high availability at the same price too, but that'll take some work to get right.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ElCondemn posted:

Nope, that's exactly what instance classes are for, use r5/r4 to save money if your app is memory bound. If you were to use something like cloudfront and downsize your instance sizes you may be able to achieve high availability at the same price too, but that'll take some work to get right.

Thanks! I think we'll give it a shot.

We got a quote for enabling Cloudfront, but it was going to be like $1k per month additional, so management balked at that. It is possible we'd be able to downsize the instances after that and there wouldn't be a net cost increase, but our larger issue is currently load from publishing, not traffic, so who knows where we'd end up. I hate this entire situation.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

frogbs posted:

Thanks! I think we'll give it a shot.

We got a quote for enabling Cloudfront, but it was going to be like $1k per month additional, so management balked at that. It is possible we'd be able to downsize the instances after that and there wouldn't be a net cost increase, but our larger issue is currently load from publishing, not traffic, so who knows where we'd end up. I hate this entire situation.

Time to get that resume up to date and start applying elsewhere

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

fletcher posted:

Time to get that resume up to date and start applying elsewhere

Yeah, I've been trying, but haven't had much luck. I'm trying to avoid places that seem like they'd be similar to where i'm at now, other small publisher, any agencies, etc.. I also think my skillset is like 10 years out of date, so I have a lot of things to learn. Old nerd problems.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I got a lithium specific question here. How do I make sure remote database connections aren't sending everything out cleartext?

I go to this page, but if I just check 'Require SSL' I get an error.

If I just select x509 under SSL Cipher, I don't get an error but the change doesn't stick and I'm able to login on an unsecure connection.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CopperHound posted:

I got a lithium specific question here. How do I make sure remote database connections aren't sending everything out cleartext?

If I just select x509 under SSL Cipher, I don't get an error but the change doesn't stick and I'm able to login on an unsecure connection.

'Require SSL'?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

CopperHound posted:

if I just check 'Require SSL' I get an error.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Derp. Dark Lotus is still a member? Maybe send him a PM

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ElCondemn posted:

We went to an r4.xlarge this morning (I guess r5 requires enhanced networking so we couldn't do it). So far we're sitting at about 75% memory usage, which is an improvement!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

CopperHound posted:

Submit a ticket or post in the Discord.
Edit: This is a bug that has been patched and the fix will be deployed overnight in the next panel update.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 16, 2021

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

CopperHound posted:

Yup, that's a bug. Fixed in edge and will be bundled in the next release. Communicated this change in advance with DarkLotus :balldo:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nem posted:

Yup, that's a bug. Fixed in edge and will be bundled in the next release. Communicated this change in advance with DarkLotus :balldo:
Alright the checkbox works now. I still have some trouble actually getting an ssl connection established, but I'll bring that over to the discord.

e: sorted now. It was likely a combination of server config and me not knowing what I am doing.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been leasing a dedicated server from Future Hosting. My ticket to the sales team went unanswered for months so I am getting a little nervous about the state of their business. That and they don't seem to be allowing anything else in Santa Clara so when my machine is EOL I am SOL.

As a result I'm shopping around for a new host for a dedicated server for some not mission critical stuff.

Looking for something with the following specs:
* 1 Gbps link, 10+ TB bandwidth per month allowed
* Located in California
* At least 24GB RAM
* Ideally at least 4 cores / 8 threads
* Min 256GB SSD & 2TB HDD

Currently I'm paying $125/mo for 24GB RAM, 540GB + 1TB HDDs, Xeon E5-2430v2, and 100 Mbps link with 10TB cap. Lack of SSD and 1 Gbps with currently solution is what has me shopping around.

Best I could find so far was with Colocation America:
* 1 Gbps, 15TB bandwidth
* Los Angeles data center
* 32GB RAM
* E3-1270v6 (fewer cores & smaller cache than I have now, but faster clock speed)
* 512GB SSD + 4TB HDD

They at least advertise on webhostingtalk so they can't be too bad. Any others I should look at?