Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I'll deploy a dockerized image with a python web server onto whatever virtual host they set me up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

You can do that on a DigitalOcean VPS / App platform for :fivecbux: a month

Edit: https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

Bohemian Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 23, 2022

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Benson Cunningham posted:

If I want to setup a small site, no commerce, low traffic, I'll write the server- what's the cheapest hosting service I can use these days?

Not traditional webhosting, but I've gotten away with tiny projects hosted on a free tier compute engine on google cloud platform. If you can make do what amounts to a VM with

-half a cpu core
-1gb RAM
-10gb hard drive
-1gb of outgoing traffic per month

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I'll deploy a dockerized image with a python web server onto whatever virtual host they set me up on.

Free tier AWS lambda?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

CarForumPoster posted:

Free tier AWS lambda?

Oh that's a good call. Thank you!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
There is also free tier oracle cloud and cloudflare.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Oh that's a good call. Thank you!

You can deploy docker containers to Lambda now it's p great. Suggest using the SAM CLI if you're not familiar with it. If you init with SAM it makes the process fairly painless.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this -- let me know if there's a better one, and I'll post over there.

I have a website, built in Squarespace, that I'm trying to index on Google. When I inspect the domain or any of the two other sites on the domain,* I get the following from Google:

*not sure if I'm saying this right, I'm pretty new to this, you can probably tell

quote:

Discovered - currently not indexed

URL is not on Google
This page is not in the index, but not because of an error. See the details below to learn why it wasn't indexed. Learn more

And the following under Learn more:

quote:

Discovered - currently not indexed: The page was found by Google, but not crawled yet. Typically, Google wanted to crawl the URL but this was expected to overload the site; therefore Google rescheduled the crawl. This is why the last crawl date is empty on the report.

Discovery
Sitemaps N/A
Referring page None detected
URL might be known from other sources that are currently not reported

Crawl
Last crawl N/A
Crawled as N/A
Crawl allowed? N/A
Page fetch N/A
Indexing allowed? N/A

Indexing
User-declared canonical N/A
Google-selected canonical N/A

I thought I'd submitted my sitemap on Google's sitemap site (It says "Success" in Submitted Sitemaps) so I don't know why the sitemap is coming up N/A in the above (or if that's even the cause of the problem). Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. ~*~TiA~*~

pantsofdoom
Nov 20, 2003

i like pants

hello goons, i hope you can help me help my friend get away from wix. i'm assuming most all y'all ITT know more about domain transfers than i do.

the domain was purchased from and hosted with a site on wix. the original registrant is PersonA. we attempted to transfer the domain from wix to dreamhost, and in the process, also updaing the registrant from PersonA to PersonB.

we were able to initiate the transfer and get the transfer authorization code email from wix, except they sent 2 emails with 2 different codes for each request. we tried them all. none were successful.

did we gently caress up by trying to update registrant info and do a transfer at the same time?

it's been a few weeks and a whois shows the registrant is still PersonA, expires in 2024, the dns is still pointed at wix, and the registrar is network solutions (not sure if this is new or if that's just wix's registrar). but wix has done the needful on their end and stopped serving the site. thanks wix.

luckily, PersonA and PersonB are still homies and can work together on solving. i think the first step is to have PersonA try to log into network solutions and update the DNS to point at dreamhost so that we can at least get a site back up. then we can work on updating the registrant and transfering to a new registrar. i know that updating registrant info and transferring both lock the domain for 60 days, so i'm expecting to have to wait to do anything, but on day 61, should we update the contact info, then wait again to do the transfer, or do you think we went wrong some other way?

any guidance is aggressively appreicated

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My first piece of advice is not to tie your domain name to some web host to save yourself this headache in the future. Transfer your domain to cloudflare/porkbun/name cheap/etc. Then point it to your host as the authoritive name server.

E: I didn't read. Sorry. Even then, iirc netsol is kind of a rip-off.

Re the 60 day lock, There should be an option to opt out of the domain lock when you update the whois info.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 6, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I just got this email from GoDaddy (current host):

quote:

We're upgrading your hosting.
Because you've got a good thing goin'.
Your 12-month credit to try cPanel hosting for new account is almost up. (Way to jump on a smart deal. Who doesn’t love free stuff?)

On 8/27/2022, we're moving you to our paid Economy plan. Your yearly fee will come out to be just $8.99/month. We'll use the payment method you have on file. Sign in to your account to make sure it's still current.

I have no memory of opting in to cPanel free trial or otherwise; my page is basically there to link my domain to my photography portfolio, which is hosted as part of my Adobe CC subscription. I doubt it gets any traffic, and I don't use email addresses or anything like that. With a bit of digging, I was able to find cPanel and cancel it before the charge hit. I confirmed with a CSR somewhere overseas that I was automatically enrolled in this, so basically GoDaddy is trying to trick me into thinking I'm continuing something I've already said yes to, as opposed to something they've automatically enrolled me in that suddenly ~quadruples what I'm paying them.

Curious if anyone else has had GoDaddy try this. Not sure if they're still up to it, but historically their advertising has never sat well with me, but I've been using them for yonks because they are a cheap, no-frills service which is all I'm really after.

Definitely open to alternatives, my GoDaddy renewal date is coming up in a couple months.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Might have another small site to put together. Is lithium hosting still a good choice for a platform agnostic LAMP type host?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

CopperHound posted:

Might have another small site to put together. Is lithium hosting still a good choice for a platform agnostic LAMP type host?

I’d like to think so! What are you planning on hosting?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Does anyone have recommendations for cheapest Wordpress hosting? I'm seeing $5 a month for 3 years then $10 a month after that at Bluehost, which also covers the domain name for a year.

It doesn't have to be Wordpress, but I'm under the impression that's the standard for someone who doesn't to get their hands dirty with CSS and HTML, and the last time I built a website was over 20 years ago.

Only commerce I'm likely to be doing on it is sticking in Amazon affiliate links. Low volume, low content. Basically, I want something behind a URL that I can put at the end of my self-published books that will include a mailing list signup link, links to buy books, occasional blogging, etc.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

$10/mo is way too much and I'm not sure I've heard a comment about bluehost that was better than neutral. Domain names are on the order of $10 for an entire year so I wouldn't consider that much of an added value (if anything, having your host managing your domain name registration tends to cause more problems with less-reputable hosts).

Goon-run Lithium Hosting should be more than adequate for that and give you a far better experience. There's a thread over in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

astral posted:

$10/mo is way too much and I'm not sure I've heard a comment about bluehost that was better than neutral. Domain names are on the order of $10 for an entire year so I wouldn't consider that much of an added value (if anything, having your host managing your domain name registration tends to cause more problems with less-reputable hosts).

Goon-run Lithium Hosting should be more than adequate for that and give you a far better experience. There's a thread over in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800

Thanks for the referral. I'd recommend avoiding BlueHost just because of their parent company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group It's Newfold Digital now, but the Wiki page refers back to EIG

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I don't know where else to put it. If you know of a better place please let me know!

I am having wordpress issues on my host, Lithium Hosting (not that they've done anything wrong here), where wordpress wouldn't update and now the site just says a critical error happened and the site won't work and I am getting a 503 error when I try to go to wp-admin. I've read a few things online and tried to fix it but its just not working. I think I need to just hire someone to get the site back and working. Does anyone here have recommendations of people or companies they've used in the past for 1 off wordpress issues to get a site back up and running?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Open a ticket. Troy will help you out, or hop in their discord.

This smells like a fortification thing to me in their LiPanel, which doesn’t allow changes to files in certain directories for security purposes, though.

Turn it off, reupdate, re-enable and see what happens?

Either way, open a ticket, it’ll get sorted out :)

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 29, 2022

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

eightysixed posted:

This smells like a fortification thing to me in their LiPanel, which doesn’t allow changes to files in certain directories for security purposes, though.

Could be Fortification but could also be an abandoned plugin or bad commercial update. Under Web > Web Apps > Development, enable snapshot support. Prior to updating your plugins/themes, LiPanel will take a snapshot of your website, then apply updates. It'll rollback the update automatically if there's a non-2xx response from the site.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks for letting me know about snapshots, I just turned that on.

Yeah, I've opened a ticket and have been going back and forth a bit with Troy. He definitely wanted me to look at Fortification, but even with enabling write mode there and trying to manually update to the latest wordpress version it didn't work. I don't know if this is a plugin problem or a theme problem or something else, but I know all plugins are disabled for now and its still erroring out, so unless a plugin borked the upgrade and thats whats causing the problem I don't think thats where the issue lies.

Anyway, I think this problem is definitely beyond me, or at least beyond the amount of time I want to spend on trying to fix it myself, and I'll go ahead and see if I can hire someone else to deal with it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Do those snapshots even apply to database changes an update might do?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks for letting me know about snapshots, I just turned that on.

Yeah, I've opened a ticket and have been going back and forth a bit with Troy. He definitely wanted me to look at Fortification, but even with enabling write mode there and trying to manually update to the latest wordpress version it didn't work. I don't know if this is a plugin problem or a theme problem or something else, but I know all plugins are disabled for now and its still erroring out, so unless a plugin borked the upgrade and thats whats causing the problem I don't think thats where the issue lies.

Anyway, I think this problem is definitely beyond me, or at least beyond the amount of time I want to spend on trying to fix it myself, and I'll go ahead and see if I can hire someone else to deal with it.

What's the most recent error reported in Web > Web Apps > PHP Pools > Log file? If disabling Fortification temporarily doesn't resolve the problem, then you have a bad theme or plugin at play.

CopperHound posted:

Do those snapshots even apply to database changes an update might do?

Yes.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

nem posted:

What's the most recent error reported in Web > Web Apps > PHP Pools > Log file? If disabling Fortification temporarily doesn't resolve the problem, then you have a bad theme or plugin at play.

This is the last error. I didn't have any luck on the wordpress support forums trying to find it there:

[29-Nov-2022 21:00:02 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: ftp_nlist(): Argument #1 ($ftp) must be of type FTP\Connection, null given in /var/www/html/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-ftpext.php:420
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-ftpext.php(420): ftp_nlist(NULL, '/var/www/html/w...')
#1 /var/www/html/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-base.php(228): WP_Filesystem_FTPext->exists('/var/www/html/w...')
#2 /var/www/html/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-base.php(76): WP_Filesystem_Base->find_folder('/var/www/html/w...')
#3 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/inc/wptt-webfont-loader.php(535): WP_Filesystem_Base->wp_content_dir()
#4 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/inc/wptt-webfont-loader.php(576): WPTT_WebFont_Loader->get_base_path()
#5 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/inc/wptt-webfont-loader.php(484): WPTT_WebFont_Loader->get_fonts_folder()
#6 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/inc/wptt-webfont-loader.php(523): WPTT_WebFont_Loader->get_local_stylesheet_path()
#7 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/inc/wptt-webfont-loader.php(142): WPTT_WebFont_Loader->local_file_exists()
#8 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/inc/wptt-webfont-loader.php(695): WPTT_WebFont_Loader->get_url()
#9 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/functions.php(182): wptt_get_webfont_url('https://fonts.g...')
#10 /var/www/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(307): wen_business_scripts('')
#11 /var/www/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(331): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#12 /var/www/html/wp-includes/plugin.php(476): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#13 /var/www/html/wp-includes/script-loader.php(2156): do_action('wp_enqueue_scri...')
#14 /var/www/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(307): wp_enqueue_scripts('')
#15 /var/www/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(331): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#16 /var/www/html/wp-includes/plugin.php(476): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#17 /var/www/html/wp-includes/general-template.php(3042): do_action('wp_head')
#18 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/header.php(28): wp_head()
#19 /var/www/html/wp-includes/template.php(770): require_once('/var/www/html/w...')
#20 /var/www/html/wp-includes/template.php(716): load_template('/var/www/html/w...', true, Array)
#21 /var/www/html/wp-includes/general-template.php(48): locate_template(Array, true, true, Array)
#22 /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/wen-business/404.php(8): get_header()
#23 /var/www/html/wp-includes/template-loader.php(106): include('/var/www/html/w...')
#24 /var/www/html/wp-blog-header.php(19): require_once('/var/www/html/w...')
#25 /var/www/html/index.php(17): require('/var/www/html/w...')
#26 {main}
thrown in /var/www/html/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-ftpext.php on line 420

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Theme is blowing up. Looks like it's trying to do a local retrieval of a gfont. It doesn't know the FTP password, so it's failing down the chain.

Go to Web > Web Apps > Fortification. Set the mode to min. This will allow direct write-access by WordPress into wp-content/themes/.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Called it :v:

edit: He still might get the 503 when trying to get to wp-admin, though :ohdear: (Unless the update through the panel works with Fortification minimized does the trick)

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 29, 2022

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

eightysixed posted:

He still might get the 503 when trying to get to wp-admin, though :ohdear: (Unless the update through the panel works with Fortification minimized does the trick)

That would happen if there are secondary issues unresolved, which I think need to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Either way if there are further issues we're all within arm's reach. I know this platform better than my own palm. :banjo:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So I have a website through a2hosting, as does a social club I'm involved in. They're hosed something up and they're serving the raw php for any site they host. I wonder how many sites are going to leak passwords etc through bad coding practices....

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

What would be the easiest fastest and cheapest way for someone with no webhosting experience to upload a static website? I have only an HTML file.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

PawParole posted:

What would be the easiest fastest and cheapest way for someone with no webhosting experience to upload a static website? I have only an HTML file.

honestly at this point going to recommend: https://neocities.org/ over github pages

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

To ask the same thing as PawParole, but in many more words - I've got a Wordpress-based photography and blog website that I'd like to save/archive/hold on to but don't really update or add to anymore. Keeping it online but uneditable (is this a static site?) would be ideal but if I have to just save it to a hard drive and view it that way that's also fine if need be.

My current host is called Siteground. They do NOT use cPanel, so any backup archive produced from them is using something called "SiteTools". Which I'm guessing is incompatible with practically everything but Siteground. It did not work with Lithium, when I initially just tried to move to a cheaper host. But maybe I don't even use backup file to generate a "static site"?

I'm looking for the easiest method possible. Ideally something that I just take a file of the entire site, like a backup, and upload it to something and it works. Otherwise I need something with really explicit instructions that assumes no prior knowledge. If there is solution with a one time fee or low subscription cost that is possible.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Keeping it online but uneditable (is this a static site?)

No, static site means the whole site is just a series of .html files. Your WordPress site still needs PHP and a database to function properly, even if you aren't making any changes to it.

I'm sure there's some elaborate method for converting a WordPress site into a static site, but I don't think that's what you're asking

In terms of backing up your site into a neat little package, try the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

In terms of hosting it somewhere, you just need a basic hosting package that can handle WordPress sites (which they basically all can). They'll vary from a few bucks a month to a few bucks per year depending on quality.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

fuf posted:

In terms of backing up your site into a neat little package, try the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

In terms of hosting it somewhere, you just need a basic hosting package that can handle WordPress sites (which they basically all can). They'll vary from a few bucks a month to a few bucks per year depending on quality.

Thanks! I've already got Lithium hosting which I hit a wall with because they use cPanel and my Siteground archive uses "Site Tools". So everything including the database would have to be set up manually. No way am I gonna do that.

So maybe Duplicator will be easier. Has anyone used Duplicator to transfer their site to Lithium? Also what kind of hosting would only be a few dollars a year? That seems really cheap.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Thanks! I've already got Lithium hosting which I hit a wall with because they use cPanel and my Siteground archive uses "Site Tools". So everything including the database would have to be set up manually. No way am I gonna do that.

So maybe Duplicator will be easier. Has anyone used Duplicator to transfer their site to Lithium? Also what kind of hosting would only be a few dollars a year? That seems really cheap.

Lithium Hosting most certainly doesn’t use cPanel. Hope this helps.

edit for reference, directly from their website, also a customer. There’s no cPanel

- “You won't find cPanel here, we've broken out of the box and use ApisCP rebranded as LiPanel™.
Supporting PHP, Python, Ruby, Go and Node.js”

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 21, 2022

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I remember recently someone trying to migrate from Siteground and wanted me to restore a backup which isn't possible because Siteground doesn't use cPanel and LiPanel (ApisCP) can only currently import cPanel backups directly.
That doesn't mean your site won't work, but it will require doing things a little bit more manually which isn't too complicated.
I'm not sure if that was your ticket, but you're welcome to reply there. If it's not, open a ticket and I'll be happy to help.

I'd steer clear of any hosting that's only a few dollars a year, with this economy, that company won't last :P

To set the record clear, for all Shared Hosting, we're 100% not cPanel.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

DarkLotus posted:

I remember recently someone trying to migrate from Siteground and wanted me to restore a backup which isn't possible because Siteground doesn't use cPanel and LiPanel (ApisCP) can only currently import cPanel backups directly.
That doesn't mean your site won't work, but it will require doing things a little bit more manually which isn't too complicated.
I'm not sure if that was your ticket, but you're welcome to reply there. If it's not, open a ticket and I'll be happy to help.

I'd steer clear of any hosting that's only a few dollars a year, with this economy, that company won't last :P

To set the record clear, for all Shared Hosting, we're 100% not cPanel.

Thanks. Opened the ticket back up.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
What's the best way to publish or stream MP3 files? I have a Wordpress website that I use as kind of a hub for publishing videos hosted on Youtube and image galleries mostly on Flickr, and I'm looking to do the same for audio as well.

I've tried SoundCloud but they keep copyright striking me despite the files I'm sharing being public domain (mainly political speeches and things like that). Other options seem to be heavily focused on either being music platforms or podcasting platforms, neither of which are really appropriate for what I'm doing. I don't want to sell anything, just host and not get too badly hammered if something should prove popular.

Should I just host them directly on my site and rely on my CDN to protect me?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Mr Crucial posted:

What's the best way to publish or stream MP3 files? I have a Wordpress website that I use as kind of a hub for publishing videos hosted on Youtube and image galleries mostly on Flickr, and I'm looking to do the same for audio as well.

I've tried SoundCloud but they keep copyright striking me despite the files I'm sharing being public domain (mainly political speeches and things like that). Other options seem to be heavily focused on either being music platforms or podcasting platforms, neither of which are really appropriate for what I'm doing. I don't want to sell anything, just host and not get too badly hammered if something should prove popular.

Should I just host them directly on my site and rely on my CDN to protect me?

object storage would probably be a good solution for this

https://www.linode.com/products/object-storage/

it's pretty inexpensive and you'll get a URL out-of-the-box

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ok, so I got my site successfully migrated to Lithium, but there's something weird going on. It appears as it did in late 2015, including layout and media. No images or posts added since then are there. Yet I checked the backup and images uploaded more recently are in it. Somehow the site updated from a backup from 2015.

Late 2015 is the same time that I migrated my site to the host I am now migrating it from. So I think there is some connection there. What could be going on?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Thanks. Opened the ticket back up.

Just sayin’ :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Ok, so I got my site successfully migrated to Lithium, but there's something weird going on. It appears as it did in late 2015, including layout and media. No images or posts added since then are there. Yet I checked the backup and images uploaded more recently are in it. Somehow the site updated from a backup from 2015.

Late 2015 is the same time that I migrated my site to the host I am now migrating it from. So I think there is some connection there. What could be going on?

Support is only provided in tickets so keep it there.

As I told you in the ticket, I restored the backup you provided, I have no control over the content in the backup archive.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 23, 2022