Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Thermopyle posted:

Do you guys running hosting services get tons of support requests for stuff not related to your business?

Subject: URGENT URGENT URGENT

How do I add this theme to WordPress?!?!?!

Sometimes, but it helps to have a clear line between what is covered by support and what's covered by my consulting rate. Depending upon the complexity and scope of the issue as well as what's on my agenda, the hourly rate is anywhere between $75-$150/hour.

I do run into situations where someone chirps that "their site is broken" and "nothing changed". In these situations I'll investigate with a full explanation of events. If the issue stems from something on my end, no fee is charged. In situations in which it was something they did and they're saving face, then a $50-$75 fee will be assessed to their account. Usually that's enough incentive to get their cooperation with coming clean.

I've been around long enough to recognize when someone's blowing smoke up my rear end and any issues on my end take a quick 1-2 minute check to ferret out. In either situation that punitive fee is enough to discourage such abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Biowarfare posted:

Do not use Delimiter.

That's who it was. That bad?

"Slot hosting"

https://www.delimiter.com/slot-hosting/

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone tried the shared (or even manged) k8s hosts yet?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Yep, also posting to say gently caress Bounceweb. I had hosting through them since 2011, but their service went to absolute poo poo this year, CPanel and everything else is broken, and they don't respond to my tickets. I backed up everything I wrote but lost the site itself. :(

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Moogs posted:

Yep, also posting to say gently caress Bounceweb. I had hosting through them since 2011, but their service went to absolute poo poo this year, CPanel and everything else is broken, and they don't respond to my tickets. I backed up everything I wrote but lost the site itself. :(

You opted for an "unlimited" host at dirt cheap. At a certain threshold, false promises catch up. You have no one to blame but yourself; it's an unsustainable endeavor especially once bitrot comes into play. VPS will go the same way with far greater consequences in 3-7 years.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

nem posted:

You opted for an "unlimited" host at dirt cheap. At a certain threshold, false promises catch up. You have no one to blame but yourself; it's an unsustainable endeavor especially once bitrot comes into play. VPS will go the same way with far greater consequences in 3-7 years.

Wow, so sympathetic, I wonder if this is a good benchmark of the customer service you provide.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

mooky posted:

Wow, so sympathetic, I wonder if this is a good benchmark of the customer service you provide.

I'll let my clients speak for me. It is hard to remain in business 15 years if you're not doing something right.

People have been admonishing over BounceWeb for the last 3-4 years. This is no new information, get out, grab your backup, and realize as long as there are a finite number of stars in the universe there will be a finite amount of storage. Anything "unlimited" is garbage and attracts flies.

\/\/\/ - Fixed :shobon:

nem fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 28, 2017

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

quote:

Query ID invalid or search results have expired.

The irony of that message with the subject matter is impeccable :v:

But yeah, BounceWeb blows. And you have to pay to get your cPanel backup and that's even not an option as they don't respond to tickets and haven't been for years. v:shobon:v

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 28, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

mooky posted:

The customer is certainly not always right, when I was running my hosting biz I cut customers loose all the time because I'm not your personal IT guy.

If you want quality web hosting don't go for the cheap "goon run" ones, use the ones with active forum members who respond like Nem and Lithium.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

DarkLotus posted:

Man, I am tired of seeing these stories [re bounceweb], I wish nobody had to go through that.
Glad you have a backup, it's kind of amazing how many people don't.
PM me if you need any help, or send me an email!

Ha. My friend has his legomatrix.com site through bounceweb and he paid his renewal and now the site is down and his email with it. I told him I'd look up to see if there were any issues and lo and behold...

He has a backup of the site on his computer so that isn't an issue. He renewed it about a month ago and I told him to call his bank and get a chargeback on his credit card, or at least speak to them about it. Do you know off the top of your head if he'll have any trouble getting his domain hosted elsewhere? He had the site hosted as well as his domain registered through them and I've no idea if the domain name needs to be released or anything - I'm completely ignorant of this subject.
Anyway, he asked me who he should go with and I suggested you as I've used lithium to host my site for at least a decade with very few problems. I'm old some old-rear end grandfathered SA plan and he's under no illusions he'll see a deal like that but I pointed him to your price page.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Gromit posted:

Ha. My friend has his legomatrix.com site through bounceweb and he paid his renewal and now the site is down and his email with it. I told him I'd look up to see if there were any issues and lo and behold...

He has a backup of the site on his computer so that isn't an issue. He renewed it about a month ago and I told him to call his bank and get a chargeback on his credit card, or at least speak to them about it. Do you know off the top of your head if he'll have any trouble getting his domain hosted elsewhere? He had the site hosted as well as his domain registered through them and I've no idea if the domain name needs to be released or anything - I'm completely ignorant of this subject.
Anyway, he asked me who he should go with and I suggested you as I've used lithium to host my site for at least a decade with very few problems. I'm old some old-rear end grandfathered SA plan and he's under no illusions he'll see a deal like that but I pointed him to your price page.

Hey, appreciate the referral! Sorry to hear about your friend's situation. I had pretty good success a while back helping people recover domains that were registered at Enom.com through Bounceweb. Basically, you have to find out where the domain is actually registered since Bounceweb is a Reseller (most of us are). Contact the underlying registrar and explain the situation. They should be able to help. Best of luck!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Thanks mate. I've given my friend some things to try and we'll see how we go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is Vultr having network issues for anyone else right now?

they say they have some network maintenance going on in Miami but my VM is in Chicago

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 11, 2017

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Am I the only one having issues connecting to hetzner.de or any sites / services hosted there?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
WORKSFORME

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Rufus Ping posted:

WORKSFORME

Me too now, although horribly slow.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I provide a SaaS. Clients update their DNS to add a subdomain that points to my server.

My clients aren't particularly tech savvy, and they've asked me for advice on email and domain registration.
Can anyone recommend a good whitelabel dns and email host that I could provide them?

They're basically looking for my company to set up all their web services and consolidate billing through me.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpaceAceJase posted:

I provide a SaaS. Clients update their DNS to add a subdomain that points to my server.

My clients aren't particularly tech savvy, and they've asked me for advice on email and domain registration.
Can anyone recommend a good whitelabel dns and email host that I could provide them?

They're basically looking for my company to set up all their web services and consolidate billing through me.

Lots of companies provide reseller accounts, use one of the ones in this thread like Lithium. Though it sounds like you could probably sign up with a normal account and just bill them for it, no reseller account necessary.

Bacardi
Nov 24, 2003

New Castle Brown
My old goon host got bought out last year and this year's invoice got me at $164. So I'm switching to Lithium.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Which one was that?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a really *good* php hosting company out there? like, I don't want to waste money, but is there someone who's decided to focus less on the race to the bottom and more on quality poo poo like deployment management tools or performance monitoring?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What would you guys reccomend for hosting for a small business (like, 15k unique visitors a month) with a wordpress and a ecommerce? Would like it to be fast! Perhaps Lithium?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is Gandi still everyone's favorite for domains?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i like dynadot and internetbs too

hates: godaddy, networksolutions, domain, 1and1, namecheap, probably a bunch of others i'm missing but that's the first few big ones

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Shy posted:

It's mine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shy posted:

For me yes. I had a glitch with their dns service recently but other than that they feel like a premium registrar

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've had a dedicated server through Future Hosting for years, they have always been great.

My server is getting pretty old now (X3440) and I'm due for an OS upgrade so I wanted to get a E3-1230v5 but they don't have any available in the Santa Clara data center, only E5-2420x2 are available. I don't need that many cores so it seems like a bit of a downgrade for me.

I wish I could stick with them since I've had zero hassle for the 7+ years. Any other dedicated server providers with a presence in the Bay Area I should look at?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
egihosting (cheap, mostly chinese neighbours - lots of gfw proxies, not the cleanest IPs, cheap, cheap) san jose
anyone @ hurricane (cheap, FULL RACK + 1g is $400, not very high power density) fremont
leaseweb (their location is called SFO but it's in san jose) san jose
take2hosting (haven't used in years, but they've been around an insanely long time) santa clara
packet.net (not cheap, mostly api-driven/automated) sj

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks for the suggestions! Those egihosting boxes are certainly cheap but I am hesitant based off your description...

The other options don't look so great. Maybe I should just have them do the OS upgrade on my current server. I guess the 8 year old CPU does what I need it to do so if I'm not liking my options for upgrading why bother.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
They're not bad.

Can also check out Krypt.com, same deal, full of chinese (like every other west coast host), but less so now b/c they started charging extra for direct china routes like they should have been

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Biowarfare posted:

i like dynadot and internetbs too

hates: godaddy, networksolutions, domain, 1and1, namecheap, probably a bunch of others i'm missing but that's the first few big ones

What's up with namecheap? I've been with them for ages.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

What's up with namecheap? I've been with them for ages.

Prices are already $2-6 (or more) expensive than pretty much all the others in addition to everything after, they've hosed me over on domains before and have managed to lose them, 24-72h dns outages with ability to change nameservers not working, inconvenient site, more upsells at checkout

I used to like them as a kid but they've just gotten worse and worse every year, now relegated to godaddy status for me - one year throwaway domains on promo and nothing else, nothing important

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Kinsta the best place if you want only WOrdpress hosting?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is Kinsta the best place if you want only WOrdpress hosting?

Wordpress.com is the best WP only host, I’m not sure what additional features Kinsta gives you but it seems more expensive for no reason.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's what i'm debating now. My website runs off of wordpress, so the "extra" speed (if that's even true) of stuff like Kinsta or wordpress.com would be nice, but at the same time I could probably get a lot cheaper / better hosting by doing something non WP exclusive?

I do about 30k visitors a month.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah that's what i'm debating now. My website runs off of wordpress, so the "extra" speed (if that's even true) of stuff like Kinsta or wordpress.com would be nice, but at the same time I could probably get a lot cheaper / better hosting by doing something non WP exclusive?

I do about 30k visitors a month.

30k per month is basically nothing, even the cheapest web hosting plan should handle that amount of traffic just fine. Using wordpress.com will give you the most scalable and cheapest option. If you run into limitations you can always frontend it with a CDN.

By picking a service like wordpress.com you're less likely to be exploited because you get all the updates basically as soon as they're available.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Anyone know of cheaper dedi's than OVH?

I'm with Kimsufi at the moment and they say Windows isn't compatible with their servers...

Need 2TB space minimum

ditzyscot
Oct 1, 2016

Your level of drinking is akin to a spectator sport, or a declaration of war on kidney's everywhere.
have you had a look at soyoustart's servers? If your just wanting space + windows then they might be up your alley.

They haven't updated their documentation in a while, so its just Server 2008/2012 offering, could hit them up about it?

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/distributions/2014-windows-licences-pricing.xml

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
Using Bounceweb has finally caught up to me. I didn't realize they had turned to poo poo because I have very minimal hosting needs and my site didn't have any problems.

They don't respond to tickets. They block cPanel backups. FTP directory listings timeout, so I can't download my stuff from that. The cPanel file browser doesn't allow directories to be downloaded - every file would have to be downloaded one by one.

Someone please tell me there's a way to get my (minimal) site away from them. I was able to backup my Wordpress database at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Directory timeouts sound like an active/passive mode problem. Disable passive mode in your FTP client so it sends a PORT command instead of PASV?

For WordPress install a plugin like Updraft Plus to make a backup of the site within WP’s panel.