Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Stacie posted:

Hey guys, we added a new coupon code 'goons' which will give you 50% off on any product we offer (except service extras) when selecting a monthly billing cycle.

Pretty much allows you to purchase a shell hosting or a web hosting package for under a buck.

Enjoy and let me know if you run into any problems.

http://www.amdwebhost.com

Went to sign up today (I think it's in the queue) - is that coupon dead now? I didn't get any confirmation (even to reject it) but the total rang up as normal.

I figured best not to tempt fate so decided to switch away from pre-paying for a few months to just one. Even at full price, I suppose I'd like to try out the service (been years since I had a shell account, bit o' nostalgia, really), but the coupon made it a no brainer. Sounds ridiculous to say given the dollar amounts we're talking about, but I'm trying and experimenting with a few different projects concurrently (some web, some not) so there's at least a psychological aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Stacie posted:

I went ahead and activated you, sorry the weekends are a bit slow when it comes to processing orders.

The coupon only works on monthly basis, but I will go ahead and refund the difference.

Thanks, especially considering it being a weekend. My query about whether new accounts were resolved on the weekend was only really to make sure nothing had gone wrong.

I don't mind the monthly aspect, I was just not sure if it expired (being a month old) or something else broke. Thanks again for the awesome service.

Good first impression so far.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

No coupon, but Linode increased the RAM in all their packages a few days ago.

Linode
512MB/16GB/200GB/$19.95
1024MB/32GB/400GB/$39.95

Linode looks and sounds pretty good (speaking as someone with nearly no experience in this realm, but just learning a bit recently out of curiosity) - especially with the recent changes.

As a hobbyist though, I wish they almost snuck a cheaper/budget plan in at the new bottom-end. There are cheaper VPS hosts, but they all just seem like such fly-by-night operations. I was thinking (short of the $5 shady ones) that rackspace cloud stuff sounded decent for the ~$11 range. Maybe my standards are mis-calibrated.

Stacie posted:

:) Thank you. If anything is bugging you, please feel free to get in touch with me!

What is the proper/best contact method? I had some feedback (nothing I need fixed for myself, but might save trouble down the road or smooth things over for new people) if it's useful.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

What are you using a VPS for?

The WHT VPS Offers forum is an easy way to find a cheap VPS and be able to easily check if they're fly-by-night; if their account is old they're probably not going to run off with your money. (Though they might still suck, lol Santrex)

Nothing, yet.

For one of my little side projects that I thought a VPS'd be appropriate for I went with a shell account instead (it's not web-related at all). For the rest I'm just in the hunting-around and research phase, trying to bring myself up to speed.

I suspect my needs (assuming I get around to making anything) are pretty lightweight. Mostly ruby/python stuff with a pretty tiny bit of SQL usage. Hobby/self-teaching stuff. Some of it could be done on shared hosting I suppose -- I have a wiki and such I run for a small community on shared hosting.

I'll comb through WHT if I pick something that isn't widely used/vetted, then. Thanks.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2010

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

dvgrhl posted:

It's hard to say for sure since both sides would have reasons not to be honest. But, Linode doesn't have the best track record for security now, and they weren't really forthcoming when all of this was going down, so I would probably lean towards HTP's side of the story being accurate. If I had an active CC with Linode I would change it.

Changing your CC would always be safe/pragmatic, but do you think Linode would risk claiming it's okay - and risk any kind of litigation or fallout from the CC companies over lying like that?