Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have two domains sitting at ASO right now with no hosting connected to them. I’d really like to move them to a better non-EIG company soon here.

The thing is I don’t need hosting, just someone to hold my domains for me for future use. Do you guys have any recommended companies that can do something like that?

In addition, has anyone encountered serious problems like their domains being “held hostage” by EIG or their subsidiaries like playing hardball if you try and move your domain away?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

nem posted:

Pork Bun and Namesilo are the hip options these days. A registrar is a registrar is a registrar. Go with either of the two popular ones or Gandi, Namecheap, Hover, GoDaddy, etc. I haven't heard of people having issues pulling domains from EIG, just make sure you transfer out with more than 15 days until the domain expires.

Gotcha. Do you have any advice besides the 15-day before expiration thing?

A few things I read:

1. Make sure your contact registration information is up-to-date and email is secure and valid (for the transfer code)
2. You need to make sure any sort of domain registration privacy is disabled (I am planning on using a Google Voice number to mask my existing home phone and a semi-dedicated email since it'll all be visible/crawlable)
3. If you change any names or company information for your domain registration, that can cause a 30-day delay in the domain being transferred (I don't think address/email/phone changes have the same weight) - this is for overall security stuff and helping with "YOU STOLE MY DOMAIN!" fights.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think I misread the ICANN regulations. I updated my address (was old), phone, and email addresses for my domains.

That means I need to wait 60 days for a transfer to a new host, right?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If anyone here has transferred domains out of A Small Orange (an EIG brand) in the past year or so, please fire me a PM.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is so bizarre. I had a domain with A Small Orange (no hosting, cancelled back in 2014 but kept them as my domain name registrar) for years.

Once and awhile I would check my domains (putting in their address) to make sure they didn’t resolve. They never did until about two weeks ago when my main domain started to show a “This Account Has Been Suspend” error message. I contacted ASO but they weren’t super helpful. I asked if they suspended the account for some kind of abuse, but they (sounded like a scripted response) said that my hosting plan was cancelled so the site wouldn’t work. It’s just that this error message started showing up instead of nothing (error where the domain couldn’t be found).

All I can figure is this:
- ASO screwed something up or maybe modified their servers so that domain is “back on” but since there is no hosting plan it throws that error
- Someone actually hacked into my website (with no hosting plan, again) and did something malicious like sending email spam or God knows what else - that scenario scares the hell out of me but I can’t figure out how that sort of thing would happen with no hosting plan enabled.

What’s interesting is that’s a generic cpanel error message, “cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi” but none of the img elements that are supposed to make it look nice load.

Maybe I’m just worrying too much?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 27, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Gotcha, if I put “/cpanel” after my domain name it does go to a cpanel login. It’s a recent one too like 2017, I wonder if they updated something and it screwed with that domain somehow.

Also this is shared hosting so it’s only got a name server thing - I cannot change the A records directly.

Thanks for the info!

I can’t wait to (try) to get away from ASO. It’s unfortunate how incredibly far they have fallen since the EIG acquisition.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 27, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I also just noticed that my cancelled hosting account lists hosting at “aserver.asmallorange.com”. However if I try and load the cpanel page (by going to the domain and adding /cpanel) it instead goes to “bserver.asmallorange.com/cpanel”.

I think that might be the problem - they moved the domain to a different server, but since the hosting is dead and still lists it’s “home” as a different server, the system gets all screwed up. Like you said “Your domain is resolving to a cPanel server that isn't setup to handle your domain so it defaults to the suspended page”.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I went ahead and set both nameservers to blanks. It’s showing up on the ICANN WHOIS but my understanding is that it’s going to take up to and maybe more than 24 hours for that to take effect due to the way DNS stuff works.

EDIT: it appears to have propagated through in under two hours. Locking/unlocking the domain was fairly painless. :shobon:

Also, I currently have a privacy service set up for the domain. If I want to transfer my domain, do I have to disable that and then wait two months (60 days) before I am allowed to transfer? I am not sure if turning off domain privacy counts as a change in the registration data or not to ICANN. I don’t think that counts but I just want to make sure.

EDIT: these guys make it sound like disabling privacy triggers the 60-day lock:
https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215249878-How-do-I-transfer-my-domain-registration-away-from-DreamHost-

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 29, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Thermopyle posted:

Time for my once-a-year checkin on this subject:

I've got a couple of dozen domains through namecheap. Have they turned lovely to the point where I should look into moving them elsewhere?

Did EIG buy them yet?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah. I was so bummed about ASO. It used to be a pretty excellent host for years but it took a complete nosedive recently - I think their “office” actually houses more than one hosting brand that EIG owns. I think they are the bastard stepchild ones.

I am baffled as to why they don’t send receipts anymore via email. I mean you can still see (and print) invoices. I trust them so little at this point that I did go through and make printouts of my invoices and hosting information.

What’s wierd is with the price increases - it’s almost like they are trying to smother some of the smaller brands like ASO to death like a crazy old relative? I mean even with some idiot customers buying plans now and then the lack of support has made them utterly toxic. I’ve seen multiple occasions where people are like “Hey I want a website!” and the first response is “Whatever you do don’t go with an EIG brand.”

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 30, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Nem - that’s an extremely good explanation of what’s going on.

You seem to be knowledgeable about hacking and compromised accounts. What are most hacked websites and servers used for today? Is it mainly spam and malware hosting?

Makes me wonder how common it is too with millions of “mom and pop” websites that probably haven’t been updated since 2000.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 31, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Would it make a difference if a host is running multiple virtual machines versus “shared hosting” that doesn’t involve virtualization?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah I was just thinking about that. “Hey if I can read memory anywhere arbitrarily it doesn’t matter if there is virtualization or not!”

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
General hosting question: for smaller web hosts (including the EIG hosts) - if someone has a cancelled credit card and hosting tries to renew, hosts generally just suspend services, right?

I have two domains on an EIG host that are expiring (I don’t need them anymore) and my concern is despite cancelling the associated credit card and setting the domains to NOT auto-renew they are going to try and renew them anyways. Then they send me to collections or something like that. (I did check their TOS and it looks like without payment they don’t renew domains and suspend hosting services, sort of like a prepaid phone.)

I am just curious if that billing approach is industry-standard for small hosts.

Also for transferring domains - there’s a 60-day wait period (change of registrant lock) if certain WHOIS information changes. Does that also apply if a privacy service is turned off for a transfer? That means you need to shut off privacy on the domain, wait 60 days, THEN you can transfer out.

Also I am amazed that EIG is still solvent at all and investors are pumping money into them.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 7, 2018

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Nem - thank you very much for that information.

DarkLotus posted:

Disabling privacy protection will not trigger a 60-day hold unless you actually update the registrant contact info.
The hold is not triggered by changing what the public sees, only what is actually set for your domain.

OK, now that's something I wasn't aware of. Interesting, thank you!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
These two domains have been derelict (nothing hosted on them) for a long time and have pretty much nil resale value (oddball names > 8 character .com and nil search metrics) so I am just going to let them expire. Made sure that any accounts tied to old email were moved to third-party mail services (gmail, iCloud, etc.)

Web hosting just isn’t for me, at least doing stuff at this lower level. Too much stuff you have to watch very carefully and EIG hasn’t helped. But it has taught me a lot of respect for people who have the responsibility of managing web hosting and all the challenges and pitfalls.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 8, 2018

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey, one additional question about domain expiration:

When a domain expires and isn’t renewed, does WHOIS show the last owner’s information, or does it generally revert to the original hosting company’s contact information, or something completely different?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ugh that’s great since domain privacy will disappear and since I cancelled the registration I cannot edit my information. I did change the email and phone to a “burner” google voice and email addresses before cancelling at least so that’s good. I’m just paranoid about privacy I guess.

I can’t wait until this albatross is off of my neck. Thanks again for the clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That’s one idea. Part of the problem is it’s an Endurance host that I want to have as little to do with as possible. So almost every solution is a bit “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”.

My understanding with the TOS is pretty quick after expiration they will take over the domain for auctioning and stuff, try and see if they can flip it for a profit (this is part of the TOS, once it expires it becomes their property and they can put their corporate info into the WHOIS record.) So it’s sort of like the domain doesn’t really expire, it just becomes EIGI’s property to resell or put up a parking page.

I also leaned recently that there are paid services that can provide an “ownership history” of a domain going way back, so if someone registered a domain and then tacked on privacy, their information could still be determined.

It is a bit silly this whole thing since the only info that’s really confirmed is the email address used. I also thought there was going to be a huge WHOIS blackout due to the European privacy stuff but GoDaddy is like “NAAAAHHH ain’t gonna do that brah”. :shrug:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 26, 2018