Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sloan posted:

I have a 2 Linodes and have been very happy.

Slicehost is now Rackspace. That can be good or bad depending on your point of view: http://forum.slicehost.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5210&page=1#Item_0

Linode always seemed far less expensive than Slicehost, especially since they did that RAM upgrade a while back. Plus Linude always seemed to be on faster hardware. Slicehosts forum posts always made it seem like they went downhill after Rackspace bought them out a couple years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are your SSH windows huge (like 130x50)?

Otherwise, I don't see how that would be slow on an Atom. I have used some of the crappiest machines imagineable for shellboxes and they're fine unless I do something like run torrents on them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

optikalus posted:

In summary, check your disk IO and swap usage.

Check top as well, the other processes on the server might be hogging the CPU. Another 2GB of RAM would be dirt cheap and an SSD would be < $100. It might be a pain to get setup, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Beseiged posted:

I've been using burst for years now. Their VPS's are decent, especially if you are just dicking around or making a small site.

Anyone else have reviews of other low-price VPS providers? I was thinking about buying a 256MB VPS from either Host90 or VirtualSRV (or someone else from https://www.lowendbox.com) to play around with. That site has a forum but nobody talks about actually doing anything with their VPS except collecting them or running speedtests.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DNova posted:

collecting ... VPS? :raise:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/questions/8502/how-many-lebs-do-you-have

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ClosedBSD posted:

So you can tell people you "manage 30 servers" I guess.

Kinda defeats the purpose though to buy a ton of cheapo-VPSs instead of one decent price/decent performance one.

I think it's like Slickdeals where people just buy poo poo because it's one or two dollars

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was searching for about 10 minutes for a cheap BSD VPS host, and then I realized since you can't use OpenVZ to cram 500 BSD VPSes on one server, there aren't any.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone know of a better deal on a dedicated server than ServerPronto?

AMD 2000+
1GB RAM
80GB HDD
5 TB Traffic
100Mbps Connection

$37.95/monthly

For $20 I can add 20TB more bandwidth so I basically don't have to worry about overages on a 100Mbit port. Additional IP addresses are $1.50 a month (only caveat is there may be a setup fee, but it doesn't show on the order page, just the TOS).

I've heard some horror stories where you have to fax them your cancellation paperwork but that's about it.

I assume that CPU is an Athlon but could it be an Atom-class CPU like some low cost Intel dedicated servers? I'm going to use it as a VPN box so I'm not really concerned with RAM or HD. It would be nice if the CPU could handle a 100Mbs of VPN traffic though. They have an Athlon 4200 X2 but it's $30/month more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

why the gently caress would you buy a $38/mo dedicated server to use only as a VPN?

It would be for multiple people to use.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 total. They have the $29.95 server but it only has 512MB and 1.5TB bandwidth.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Still looking for suggestions on cheap dedicated boxes that are 100mb unmetered, or close.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

My client has a bunch of emails stored with one web host. We're going to be switching him over to another host soon. Is it possible to get the emails transferred from one host to another? If not, what is the most painless way to get the old mail archived prior to the switch?

Excuse my ignorance, I never have any of these issues of my own and I'm a web developer, not much of a hosting-solution-provider-guy.

Can he just archive it all using Outlook or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Looks like Slicehost has finally ditched their traditional VPS offerings for Rackspace cloud-only servers. Took long enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the output from top look like? Sort the processes by CPU usage (hit 'O' then 'K' after top loads)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You're still paging like crazy, I bet. Each apache process is using ~60mb and there's 9 of them. You have almost no free RAM in that second screen shot.

Do an 'iostat -m 1' and you'll see how much it's writing every second.

How big is your mysql database? Go along with what ClosedBSD was saying, there are a lot of guides out there for running a VPS in a lower-memory setup. 512MB isn't as bad as 256MB or 128MB but you're running on the edge of hitting swap.

Also change your font in Putty to Consolas or something only scrubs use Courier ;)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Okay, doesn't look like you're paging. Can you go into mysql and just do some simple things like 'show databases' and 'select * from articles' and see if happens instantly or not?

I wonder if you have a Wordpress plugin or something that is making the whole site slow. Think back to when the site started acting up, and what the last thing you did was...

code:
ab -t30 -c5 [url]http://americankpopfans.com/[/url]
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, [url]http://www.zeustech.net/[/url]
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, [url]http://www.apache.org/[/url]

Benchmarking americankpopfans.com (be patient)
Finished 26 requests

Server Software:        Apache/2.2.14
Server Hostname:        americankpopfans.com
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        99074 bytes

Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   34.578 seconds
Complete requests:      26
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      2715516 bytes
HTML transferred:       2701944 bytes
Requests per second:    0.75 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       6649.660 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       1329.932 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          76.69 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:       53   55   1.4     55      58
Processing:   856 4958 4152.9   2479   10733
Waiting:      680 4784 4152.7   2305   10558
Total:        913 5014 4153.0   2538   10789

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%   2538
  66%   9181
  75%   9628
  80%   9885
  90%   9976
  95%  10040
  98%  10789
  99%  10789
 100%  10789 (longest request)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

Just ran some queries, and they ran almost instantly. I'm starting to wonder if it's a plugin too. Is there a way to log every query MySQL gets or a way to watch them in realtime? If I could see every query it's being issued, I could probably identify the problem.

[edit]
I don't think it's a plugin. They aren't using many, and the ones they are using are really popular and should have any kinks like this worked out:

It does seem like you're loading a ton of poo poo on the front page.

One thing you could try is disabling all the plugins and re-enable them one by one, it'll either gradually get slower or one will just gently caress the server.

Before that, you might want to look up 'mysql slow query log' and see if there's a certain one or two that are doing all the damage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'd post in the linode forum (or search there). I think every time apache gets going it has to start up php and that takes cpu+memory, I'm not sure if you could use something like nginx or thttpd to speed things up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kronok posted:

I'm looking into getting away from leasing servers to building and colocating my own. I'm currently looking at a 2U with 100Mbps (1200GB bandwidth cap, not 95th) with 1 outlet for $80 a month at a seemingly great datacenter with a ton of redundancy, or I could downgrade to a 1U at $55 a month.

They also quoted me $55 for a 1u with .5Mbps unmetered, but 1200GB at 100Mbps bandwidth sounds a lot better to me. Isn't 1200GB a month about 5Mbps?

Think I could get it lower or is that a pretty awesome price? I'm feeling pretty awesome about it, but I don't want to find out later that it's not so awesome.

What are you going to do with it? You might be better off with a VPS.

1200GB on 100mb isn't much. 10mb will do 3 times that, maxed out. So that's like having a 3.3mbs unmetered line.

But in the real world, you won't be using that much data unless you're hosting video or seeding torrents, and having the 100mb burst will be great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kronok posted:

Basically, my main issue has been hardware, not bandwidth, so I feel like if I had a 3.3Mbps unmetered line, I'd be happy, but 3.3Mbps seems to be a lot more expensive than just asking them for 1200GB bandwidth. I peak to 4-5Mbps here and there, but it's .5Mbps on average, so I think I'd be fine for awhile.

So, how's that $80 price sounding to you?

Depends on how much hardware you need.

Unmeteredservers.com has a quad-core Xeon with 10mbs unmetered for $89.99, and for $80 more a month you can upgrade to 100mbs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ClosedBSD posted:

prgmr.com, though I'm shocked any host gives you poo poo for connecting to IRC

Huge ddos potential since many people will run bots etc

Why don't you just get a shell from amdwebhost?

http://amdwebhost.com/solutions/shell/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Galler posted:

Doing anything like that with 1and1.com (which I had before) took fooooorever.

They truly are the worst. With GoDaddy a close second.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Both great ways to get compromised/defaced.

I understand the appeal to newbies and all, but see above.

Do they install applications with security holes (configuration errors), or old versions, or what?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You'll have to know Linux, or be willing to learn. You can pay for private Github accounts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

All cheap webhosting companies can be a pain in the dick.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 24, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

Is there a better option than GoDaddy for domains?

Pretty much anyone is better than GoDaddy at anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We don't send any SMS messages, but we send out ~ 100,000 emails a day. These are all people who are registered for our programs.

Usually they are daily, tips, recipes, and the occaisonal reminder that their program is ending soon or other notifications.

We simply use our dedicated server at Rackspace. I'm pretty sure you can't get a server there for anywhere near $100/month but you can at other providers, no problem. Occaisonally we'll get a company that blocks our server, but we'll call their IT staff and get it worked out. We'd never be able to pay a third-party service to do this for us, it would be way too expensive.

We use some lovely software called 'Campaign Enterprise' to do most of them, the rest are dynamically generated by our software.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

my $60/yr VPS is awesome

too bad I've gone through 660GB of bandwidth in ten hours since that's most of my quota

What provider is that from? what do you get, 1TB of traffic a month or less like 800GB?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

posted a 10MB gif on reddit
QuickWeb, but they no longer have prices that low. I got this price right when they were launching their US servers. I've got 1TB of traffic and usually don't really use any of it.

Went through something like 940GB in a bit more than a day.

Their 512MB/25GB/500GB plan for $9.95 doesn't look bad, especially if you can sustain 20mb/sec on it. How is the disk/cpu performance?

http://www.quickweb.co.nz/supa-vps-plans.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

I have a a growing website (b2b) that's based on a rather complex platform. It needs MSSQL, ASP, as well as PHP/MySQL. It's a worpdress content site with a set of reports powered by MSSQL and ASP with Report Control. We also handle authentication via ASP (custom wordpress plugin) so everything needs to talk.

Does anybody know of a good managed host that can offer a dedicated box for MSSQL, and a managed vps for wordpress? The major issue I'm running into is most dedicated boxes only offer SATA, which won't be fast enough for MSSQL. I'm hoping to find a windows provider that will offer SSD's, but not much luck.

Has anybody heard of a company that does this type of blended hosting?

How big is your DB? We run ours on SATA drives, RAID 5 of 4 disks for the DB and mirror of 2 disks for the web apps (stupid but I didn't set it up). Rackspace gives us a dual-quad Xeon with VMware on it so we can add or remove VM's as we need them (Private Cloud)

You can always add enough RAM to fit your DB in memory.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I bought a 512MB Linux VPS from https://www.tailoredvps.com and it's been great so far. It was a little under $7/month

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"The dangers of shared hosting"

Not sure if these issues have been cleared up or not, but it goes to show what kind of hazards you can run into with a shared host.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone use GoDaddy/Dreamhost/Hostgator for a small company of like 25 people? They claim unlimited email boxes etc but I was just wondering if they were horribly unreliable or slow or what.

I've set up 3-4 person companies with them before but they're not huge email users, basically personal accounts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DNova posted:

How much RAM do I realistically need on a debian 6 VPS to host some static sites and a mediawiki with a very small number of users/viewers?

384-512MB will be fine. poo poo, 256 will probably do it.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cock Democracy posted:

Could we please remove Hytek from list on the first post? Their reputation has gone to poo poo. Just do a search here and see how goons mention them. They held a goon's domain name against his will for leverage, harassed him on this forum and called him "pure scum." They are also just rude and non-responsive to support requests.

I tooky Hytek off the list, but I'm leaving all the other shared hosts on there. It's just a list, not recommendations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rufo posted:

Note that hetzner do that stupid thing with bandwidth that OVH do

Unmetered, guaranteed 100mbs isn't cheap. That's like 30TB/month running all-out. Many providers will give you a '100mbs' connection that will only run up to 20/40mbs, or force you to share it with others.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mooky posted:

Check reviews before you buy. Might be a little trickier with HostDime because you'll be relying on a 3rd party site to provide you with reviews, unless of course people here can speak to their reputation. As for BounceWeb, since you clearly trust the Goon community, check their thread for reviews:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3176453

I had various issues with them while I used them as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fungi^2 posted:

As you might expect, I'm looking for a new host with support guarantees. My top two right now are hostdime and bounceweb. Any experience reports?

What do you need, a ticket answered within 1 hour, or the site back up in 1 hour if the server it's on goes kaput?

There's about a $300/month difference in price there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm sure all hosts are susceptible but the biggest issues I've had with shared hosts are being on a box that's getting DDoS attacks, or the shared mail server is getting blacklisted for spam.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eightysixed posted:

I'm willing to bet that using their service in that manner is against the TOS, so you won't really have a leg to stand on. I could be wrong though.

Dreamhost web hosting accounts are for hosting websites, not personal file storage.

Dreamhost AUP posted:

Personal Backups

With the exception of DreamHost Dedicated Server products, the customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Web Hosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions. Data uploaded must be primarily for this purpose. DreamHost Web Hosting servers are not intended as a data backup or archiving service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

Still my fault?

You were in violation of the terms of service which are posted plain as day on their site.

I've sped down the same stretch of highway for the last 7 years on my commute to work, if I get busted for going 8 mph over tomorrow I won't complain.