Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Yeah it would, don't do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DarkJC posted:

I'm still interested in getting a VPS for playing with. I guess I was just looking for confirmation to see if I was on the right track with Linode or whether there was something that suited me for cheaper. For what I'm doing I can't see needing any more than 256-512 MB of RAM and 10 GB of disk space, for the moment anyway.

Definitely check out intovps.com

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

wanderlost posted:

Any recommendations for good DNS hosting and registration? I've been with dreamhost for 6 years, and it's time to upgrade. I'm going to serve content from my VPS, but I need to find a new company to handle my website registrations and DNS hosting. Thanks guys!

DNS

http://dns.he.net/
http://freedns.afraid.org
http://aws.amazon.com/route53/

Domain registrars

http://www.namecheap.com/
https://www.gandi.net/

mix and match

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

I probably want VPS and some redundancy. Can I get 2 VPS deals and sync them?

"Sync" what, and how? What are you trying to achieve?

thegasman2000 posted:

Could that share the load so I dont rape bandwidth on one account?

Just choose an appropriate VPS in the first place rather than bodging together some goontastic solution on a shoestring.

intoVPS is $10/mo for 500gb/mo bw. Unless you're averaging >1.6mbps or not making like 3 app sales a month, I don't see what's wrong with that deal.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Stupid Decisions posted:

Is Namecheap a Goon recommended registrar for .com and .co.uk domains?

yes

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

did you remember to update the serial (timestamp) in the zone file

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I went and signed up for FreeDNS but apparently they don't like the IP addresses of my VPS provider....any other suggestions for free DNS hosting?

do you mean freedns.afraid.org? if so try dns.he.net

and vice versa

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

The old web designer has been a total pain in my rear end regarding moving a domain. He registered it himself and seems to be trying to hold it at ransom.

Do you have unpaid bills with him?

thegasman2000 posted:

I am with Dyna Dot and have read their migration guide. Basically I need the domain (duh) and the AUTH code. He says his registrar wont give this to him and he needs me to send him a different code. I cant seem to locate the email with the code he asked for but it wasn't a auth code.

you need REGISTRAR-LOCK turned off and the EPP code

thegasman2000 posted:

I am really wondering if I can bypass him totally and go to nominet to get this resolved. Its been 3 months...

Doubt it, nominet are loving terrible

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

or you could ditch the goon solidarity and use a free service that doesn't go down, like he.net

goddamnit shsc

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

I want to build it myself - that is I don't want to use blogger or wordpress or any of those services (I already have a domain and personal page).

Just point a subdomain at a hosted tumblr or wordpress or whatever tbh and use your mad css skillz to make it look like part of your site

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

TheRevolution1 posted:

What's the best cheap dedicated server for VPN/seedbox? I basically just need something with decent bandwidth and traffic limits, extra storage space is a plus. Performance doesn't really matter, needs to be dedicated so that I can install an OpenVPN server.

Right now I'm thinking of the Kimsufi 2g.

https://www.kimsufi.ie

you can install openvpn on KVM-based VPSs, and on OpenVZ-based VPSs if tun/tap support is enabled on the host (ask)

note that kimsufi only include 5TB/mo in the cost, read the footnotes

also check out hetzner who offer a very similar deal

also check out the dedicated/vps offers forum on webhostingtalk, though they're full of fly-by-night companies

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 19, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

OpenVPN can also be installed on PV Xen servers. I'm running it with no issues.

yeah I forgot about xen

iirc you can avoid the 5TB/mo restriction imposed by OVH/kimsufi by going through a reseller (assuming they don't impose their own cap)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

pay the extra few pounds and use namecheap/gandi

if you cut corners like that you probably deserve everything you get

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sperg Victorious posted:

I'm already on namecheap, but my blog is being harassed by some psycho that sends barrages of abuse complaints to people's hosts he doesn't like. My host already politely told me to get off shore hosting, since they don't want to deal with it anymore. But now I'm worried that the same person will start barraging namecheap with abuse complaints, resulting in a similar situation.

try nfshost or prq.se

maybe also put it behind cloudflare, though I hear they hand over the real host IP willy-nilly these days

rawrr posted:

edit: and I don't think domains are subject to the same, rather lax DMCA takedowns as hosting. Only time I've seen it were FBI seizures with file sharing/poker sites, and I think they needed warrants for that.

yeah this

Put the domain on gandi if you're bothered about spurious legal threats against your registrar, but namecheap should be fine.

I'm kind of intrigued what the dude takes such an objection to now

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Poster Child posted:

prq.se is being liquidated and is probably not a good choice for anything

Didn't know this, can you provide any more info? Google isn't bringing anything up.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Disharmony posted:

Does anyone have the link to the new Hostgator thread in SA Mart? Can't seem to find it even with the search on.

there doesn't seem to be one any more

Did hostgator survive the WHMCS fisco with their reputation intact, I haven't been following it

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ichorclaw posted:

It is literally impossible for me to imagine a level of incompetence that high.

You don't read SH/SC a lot do you

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bazanga posted:

We really just need a domain to show off the project and get emails on.

domain: gandi.net, namecheap.com
dns: dns.he.net, freedns.afraid.org, amazon route53
email: google apps

Bazanga posted:

Eventually, we might start hosting production sites but we will tackle that if/when it happens.

hosting serious business things on a goontastic shared hosting provider doesn't strike me as a brilliant plan

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

wanderlost posted:

Can anyone point me towards a resource for learning how to configure MX records? I have a colo'd mini that I want to use as a mail server, but I'm not sure how to go about formatting the MX record. Thanks guys!

the format is like e.g. CNAME recs but has a number as well which is the relative priority (lower = more preferable) if you have more than one. if you don't, just put 10 or something it doesn't matter

e.g.

domain.com. MX 10 mail
domain.com. MX 10 mail.whatever.com.

works exactly like you'd expect with @origin and accepting mail to subdomains

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anaxite posted:

The hostname cannot be an IP address.

also it cannot point to a CNAME, it has to point to a hostname which has an A and/or AAAA record itself

so don't do this:
dick.com. MX 20 mail.dick.com.
mail.dick.com. CNAME mail.balls.net.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

rawrr posted:

Can you expand on this more? I recently just moved from share to Linode 512, and have always assumed it's more or less set and forget after the initial setup/hardening.

yeah assuming the software you run never needs to be updated to patch security vulns :psyduck:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Well, you'll have to update whatever software you're running on shared hosting as well, so that doesn't change anything.

web server etc

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

rawrr posted:

Isn't that more or less just doing apt-get update?

update/upgrade yeah. do this and you'll be fine

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Haywood Japwnme posted:

what about kernel updates? god knows how old my kernel is...

yeah if your host uses xen/kvm then you also need to take care of this. one of the few upsides to openvz

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Galler posted:

Go ahead and get email setup and working just to see how that whole process works, and then immediately switch to Google apps because gently caress hosting your own email. It's not worth it.

This but optionally skip step 1

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Create an MX record for your domain, like mail.wanderlost.com. Point it at the IP address of your Mini.

specifically your zone file needs two things

yourdomain.com. MX 10 mail
mail.yourdomain.com. A 69.88.420.247

I used to run postfix+dovecot+amavis+spamassassin with a mysql db to manage the accounts. I used debian but builds of them all doubtless exist on OSX. It was a complete loving nightmare and I strongly advise you to not waste your time. You're not teaching yourself a useful skill here; frankly you're being a bit of an idiot.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

transfer it to namecheap/gandi and use dns.he.net for the dns

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol internet. posted:

They don't allow wildcard entries. How would you make domainname.com work without having to do https://www.domainname.com

yeah use @ like Anaxite says above (within each zone they set $ORIGIN to your domain)

lol internet. posted:

I normally used a wildcard to fix that problem.

learn dns dude this is fuckin shameful

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol internet. posted:

I know DNS a little, not to a full extent, what I actually want to do is if I goto https://www.mydomain.com it redirects to http://mail.google.com. The A record only uses IP though? Would I not use a CNAME in this case?

Are you trying to get yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com to both point to your google apps email login page?

if so, follow http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=53340 (substituting "mail" for "www")
then follow http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2518373&topic=29260 to set up yourdomain.com

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I got shafted by enom after the demise of RegisterFly. I ended up having to buy my own domain names back from them (in the guise of NameJet) at auction.

I think they have a ticket system when you log in here http://www.enomcentral.com/help/

I suggest moving your domains to namecheap or gandi asap. If they refuse to refund you for goMobi (did they automatically sign you up to the free trial?), you could do a cc chargeback

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

fuf posted:

I'll look into this, thanks. Is it gonna cost me? I just renewed a domain for two years with enom...

namecheap don't charge to transfer as such - you pay for 1 year's registration (minimum) and it extends* the expiry by that amount

gandi charge but you get the extra year free so it works out about the same

*some tlds like .nl are different

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

why would you cancel a domain if you still cared what happened to it, that's what transferring is for

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Which domain registrar is my best bet for a .com.au?

preferably one who takes paypal if possible, but if there's a dead cheap one who doesn't then that's okay too

http://www.ausregistry.com.au/registrars

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

$10/mo intovps.com

they're openvz based but otherwise great

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

ToS says no IRC, any experience on if they enforce that?

they mean irc servers, clients are fine (I run a bouncer on mine)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

xpander posted:

I have this same question - I've used a couple budget VPS providers before, and they're all garbage at some point. I don't think I need more than the base Linode instance. I'll check out intovps.com though, if you think they're worthwhile Milkie.

Only other downside (arguably) I can think of is that you may need to send them a scan of your drivers license or whatever if your paypal account isn't verified

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

cloudflare's pretty decent at easing the burden of seving static content. You may also need to look at how any databases you have cope under load. For PHP sites I've seen big improvements from installing APC and setting stat=0.

What kind of site/software are you running?

loadimpact.com is a nice tool for DOSing poorly written websites testing your site under load

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 23, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anaxite posted:

Prgmr.com is simple and low-resource, but they also fit your price point.

I was with prgmr for a few years. They were pretty decent but it's a two-man show and some of their servers used to have what seemed like a lot of hardware/network issues.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Is this before or after they got the gently caress out of HE Fremont

I believe that was June 2011 (?) so mainly before (I was with them till August 2011)

or am I confusing it with the move from SVTIX to market post tower IDK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah