Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

LongSack posted:

I have ipchains set up

:staredog: I haven't seen ipchains since linux 2.4, hopefully you mean iptables

fletcher nailed it:
- iptables with default input policy DROP and punch a hole for ssh
- set up pubkey authentication for ssh then disable PasswordAuthentication
- install fail2ban, don't bother whitelisting your DHCP pool unless you're certain about the range
- tunnel your mariadb connection over ssh using e.g. LocalForward 3306 localhost:3306

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

Not that I particularly know a good place to actually register—I don't approve of GoDaddy in general, and something about Hover just feels off—that can let me twiddle with the DNS records as I see fit. Is there a good recommendation there?

It sound like you are planning on using your domain registrar's DNS - I suggest instead (as with your web hosting) that you delegate that task to a separate company, e.g. Hurricane Electric or Cloudflare - both of which are free and have the DNS features you want.

For the domain itself, Hover are fine (and offer free WHOIS privacy). Other reputable registrars include Google Domains (also free privacy), internet.bs (free privacy) and Namecheap (paid)

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 20, 2017

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Authoritative DNS has two separate parts you need to concern yourself with

Say your domain is axiem.com and you choose Cloudflare to host your DNS

• The com. zone is served by the DNS servers at [a-m].gtld-servers.net
    It contains NS records for axiem.com. pointing to [fred,iris].ns.cloudflare.com.
    You update these records using your domain registrar's website.
    It looks this:
    This is how everyone knows where responsibility for the zone axiem.com. is delegated to

• The axiem.com. zone is served by the DNS servers at [fred,iris].ns.cloudflare.com
    It contains A, MX, SPF etc records of your choice
    You update these records using Cloudflare's website
    It looks like this:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

If you've always used your domain registrar's DNS then the first bullet point is the part of the picture they've been hiding from you

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

(I'm assuming that setting it up through my Domain Registrar updates gtld-servers).
yes, your domain registrar sends the changes to Verisign who run gtld-servers

Axiem posted:

With Cloudflare: is setting up the DNS stuff part of the Free plan?
yes

Axiem posted:

If I go with them for that, do I also have to put my static site behind their stuff
no you can turn it all off ("grey cloud" switch in their control panel)

Axiem posted:

and what happens when they have an outage, or does that not happen very often?
it doesn't happen

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

(Much less at NearlyFreeSpeech, which a ballpark estimate puts me at 5$/year)

I'll leave the question about Dreamhost vs Lithium for someone else but I can vouch for NFS.

I've hosted a static site with them for several years. It got moderate attention at one point, trending on social networks and being featured in print and online media. I put it behind Cloudflare with the most aggressive caching settings and have still not got through my initial $1 deposit from 2013. It's quite astonishing and I would never believe it if it hadn't happened to me.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

you sound right

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

I did discover that Fastmail apparently will also host the DNS records. The advantage of this is that they'll keep the SPF and DKIM records up to date for me

You don't need to host your DNS with them to achieve this

SPF has an include: directive which tells querying clients to look the records up elsewhere. On fastmail you would do something like v=spf1 include:spf.messagingengine.com ~all

similarly DKIM records can be CNAMEd to somewhere else. On fastmail this means fm[1-3].axiem.com.dkim.fmhosted.com or whatever. It's in the docs

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Axiem posted:

Hm. Has this changed since about 2 or 3 years ago? That's when I set up my SPF/DKIM things through my domain at Fastmail, and when I went to look a couple of days ago, it had a thing telling me that my DKIM is out of date, and to move from TXT records to CNAME records.

If the new CNAME way is more stable, then cool, that would be nice, and assuage my fears about undelivered mail.

yeah the new CNAME system is the one you want because it means they can change the DKIM keys if they want without your assistance

I'm surprised they used to make everyone set the TXT records manually tbh, that's a bit of an oversight

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

mod_rewrite won't do what you want. If you insist on not updating your shell scripts see if you can make a symlink from the old directory name to the new one instead

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

That's only available when you let CF proxy requests to your site (orange cloud mode). They own the cert and terminate SSL for you, then proxy the request to your actual host (optionally over SSL - controlled by you this time)

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170416-What-do-the-SSL-options-mean-

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Firaga posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to put together something for a friend. He is just looking for online storage that allows multiple users to make accounts and upload files. Kind of like a google drive or drop box but privately hosted.
I was looked for a VPS with 2 TB of HDD storage and I was going to install owncloud on ubuntu since he wants something with a portal rather than setting up ftp accounts for people. This isn't going to be high traffic so I don't need something with a lot of ram and cores, but I'm having a hard time finding a host that fits those requirements.
Does anyone have any recommendations or maybe something else I could consider?

OVH object storage is probably the cheapest safe way to store that kind of amount of data ($0.0112/GB/mo so 2TB=$23/mo). You can then install ownCloud on a much smaller cheaper VPS and configure it to use the OVH cloud as external storage.

OVH also now seem to offer a new product called Cloud Archive which is even cheaper. I'm not sure what the difference is so maybe check that out too.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

WORKSFORME

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

do I want XAMPP,

Are we to assume from this that you are going to be writing your web app in PHP and using MySQL/MariaDB as a database?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

do you actually honestly need gigabit?

if not digitalocean can do about 300mbps

edit: actually ~530mbps for me

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 21, 2018

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Contabo do 10 cores + 1.2tb ssd + 50gb ram + unmetered gigabit for ~$34/mo

(I can vouch for everything apart from the bandwidth - my servers with them are on 100mbit so I don't know how well their gigabit performs in reality)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Perhaps VPSDime's premium (KVM) line, though I can't vouch for it personally

OVH are supposed to be opening a west coast dc at some point too, which should be in the right price bracket

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

fuf posted:

Can anyone recommend a registrar that will handle .ae domains? Namcheap and gandi don't do it.

here are your options https://www.tra.gov.ae/aeda/en/accredited-registrars.aspx

so your best bet is probably instra or markmonitor

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Triglav posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Vultr's $2.50/mo plan? https://www.vultr.com/pricing/

Yeah it's only available in certain locations and permanently "out of stock" in others, something I only learned after depositing money in my account

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Probably just go with cloudflare at this point, who are reputable, good at security, and sell at the same prices it costs them to buy

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

if you're planning on using AWS anyway, you can register domains through AWS Route 53

prices here https://d32ze2gidvkk54.cloudfront.net/Amazon_Route_53_Domain_Registration_Pricing_20140731.pdf

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

PHP isn't the problem (directly), it's the state of the plugin/theme ecosystem. My personal position, learned the difficult way, is don't go near hosting other people's code - pay someone else to do it instead.

That said, the worst that's likely to happen is someone getting code exec inside the container as the same user that wordpress runs as. So consider how your docker setup would fare under those circumstances and weigh up your options accordingly.

The most obvious point is make sure the docker control socket isn't accessible from inside the container or an attacker can break out trivially. And make sure the wordpress database user doesn't have access or privs it doesn't need. The linux kernel itself has a fairly poor track record of isolating containers correctly, although this can be mitigated somewhat using seccomp and reducing capabilities.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'd start with this list then narrow it down based on your other requirements

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Grump posted:

set up rDNS configurations so that different IPv6 addresses point to different websites on the same server

You mean AAAA records not rDNS

It's a bunch of additional work for no reason

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

henpod posted:

I don't know / understand if my website is still somehow connected to the hosting company that is offline, or if its gone completely, and I just have the domain now.

I don't think this is a question this thread can answer, at least not without knowing who you host was/is

henpod posted:

How do I go about getting my website back online?

If your old host are gone for good, find a new one, restore your backup, and point your domain's A records at the new host's IP

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

but would it be true that if another registrar negotiated a better deal with the tld holder (.xyz) that it would be cheaper to keep the domain not on cloudflare?
If a registrar did strike such a deal to get a discount on the normal registry price, you'd likely never find out. For all we know, Cloudflare could be doing it themselves and keeping the difference! (I would guess this is not currently true however.)

Having said that, I don't think I've seen domains sold below the officially stated registry cost, other than in loss-leader promotions for new registrations only.

I actually got a .com for free as a kid in the late 90s, presumably because of all the .com boom VC money washing around. I think they imagined they would recoup the cost on renewals, but actually went out of business lol

Actuarial Fables posted:

Not sure how much I should shop around or if I should just stick it on cloudflare and be done with it.

Just stick with them

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

My boss wants me to find a way to track client downloads (who and when). We host client data on S3 (our servers are on AWS). There's no native way to do this, it seems

S3 has "server access logging" which should do what you want

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So I've got logging enabled, which produces a text file full of garbage. Is there a reallly basic how-to out there on how to interpret these things, using Cloudfront or something. I've been reading the manuals on AWS and it's not helping. It's just a daisy chain of tutorials, none of which are entirely clear they're going to do what I want them to, which is simply tell me the time and source of a file download.

To be clear, today was the first day I've even accessed the AWS console. I've only ever used S3 browser to upload files. But AWS it's becoming clear, is a whole thing. Feel like I need to take a class to get a handle on it.

Each line in the log corresponds to a request, and the fields are separated by spaces (fields with spaces are enclosed in quotes). You should be able to open it in Excel or write a simple script to parse it.

The fields include the remote IP (I assume this is what you mean by "source"?), the date and time, and the key (filename)

(If you have CloudFront in front of S3 I'm not sure whether/how that affects the remote IP which gets reported)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

wargames posted:

linode has nanodes

$ 5 /MO 1 GB Ram 1 CPU Core 25 GB SSD 1 TB Transfer

https://www.linode.com/products/nanodes/

he wants something "extremely basic", not a linux server to set up and run

just another posted:

I've only used one stop shops like Wix and WordPress before so this is all new to me.

Can you not use these to set up a single page site? I believe wordpress.com allows you to attach PDFs to posts

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Incrediblastic posted:

Also my domain is already blacklisted for email by one organization :D so if anyone could help out with this situation i'd much appreciate it.
configure spf + dkim + dmarc,
check blacklist status here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Incrediblastic posted:

Also - I'm already being bruteforced (I assume that's what it's called when random IPs keep connecting with attempts to login to random usernames/passwords) , is there anything I could do to prevent that,like blocking IPs?the IPs are random so i'm assuming a botnet so that won't help probably.
install and configure fail2ban

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I suspect he meant login attempts to IMAP/SMTP not SSH

Although you can actually do certificate auth with SASL too, if your clients support it

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

No, separate html file in the same repository

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Avoid "unlimited" shared hosts because it's a race to the bottom. Instead consider object storage (backblaze b2, wasabi cloud, scaleway object storage) if possible. If you need real hosting with lots of disk, check out kimsufi's atom-based dedicated servers, scaleway dedibox, or contabo's vps line.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

It's called Strong Customer Authentication and was introduced as part of PSD2. It's like the verified by visa / MasterCard securecode interstitial but it can send you a one time pass

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

CopperHound posted:

if I just check 'Require SSL' I get an error.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

fletcher posted:

They at least advertise on webhostingtalk so they can't be too bad.

I wish it worked this way lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Can't say they didn't warn you

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

It's pretty easy to get the $1000 free aws credit offer if you have a plausible looking one-page "startup" website with its own domain.

Perhaps this could be your first project!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Is there a reason the videos can't go on YouTube or Vimeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

That's a spec violation and isn't the solution