Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I don't even know how to get started with web development these days

do I want XAMPP, Git, Github subscription, and Digital ocean? like I want to be able to develop on my desktop, push button, have it uploaded to web. Shared hosting is not a proper solution to the web app I want to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah unless that's fallen out of favor. It's the only web language I'm familiar with but I am open to other ideas.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Thermopyle posted:

Web development thread in CoC is where you should ask about this. ( PHP will not be recommended because it's bad...but maybe it's not worth learning something else if you're just trying to get something out the door. )

Yeah I am aware that PHP is bad. This is more of an educational project though I know the long-term goal of what I want to make, so learning a new language is fine with me.

Didn't mean to derail, forgot where the web development thread is. Also I forgot about using Vagrant instead of XAMPP (I hate running a bunch of servers on my desktop). I'll just rent a droplet for $5/month and see where it takes me.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I didn't know PHP7 made some progress with typing, which was my biggest problem with PHP. Weak typing feels so sloppy and gave me so many headaches before. My other problem was that it felt like a procedural language with objects later bolted on, though that isn't as much an issue with modern frameworks

Before I had to program around how PHP behaved, instead of telling PHP how to behave.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Signed up for a Droplet last night, didn't get to logging in to it for first time with ssh until now. just a no-name IP address.

quote:

You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)
Last failed login: Sat Feb 10 16:33:10 UTC 2018 from 182.100.67.237 on ssh:notty
There were 475 failed login attempts since the last successful login.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah I set up fail2ban and ssh keys and made a regular sudo wheel user for admin and disabled root login and ssh password login. That guy who got hacked through redis got me worried about how I handle everything.
I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to run my own firewall? The site has firewall rules that you set and it says everything is blocked if not allowed there, but some of the guides mention a need for a firewall. I installed UFW and it ended up loving up iptables, which was a mess it left behind after uninstall too. I had to nuke that box and start over anyways (something unrelated, involving permission issues and me typing sudo chmod -R 777 on the wrong parent directory).

My ultimate goal is to have Vagrant running on my home PC running as a mirrored dev environment with the ability to push the changes over to the droplet using something like Git.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Digitalocean is awesome even if you don't do any scaling stuff. And honestly not that hard to protect against Hackerman for small websites. Use SSH key logins (disable password authentication), install Fail2ban and don't expose any unnecessary ports to the scary internets. They have guides for all that. All you really need open is 23 (SSH), 80, and 443 (if using HTTPS, which you should because it is free with Let's Encrypt). If you want better security than that, use containers/service accounts.

Also I've been playing around with Digital ocean Spaces (their clone of Amazon S3) and combined with goofys (which lets you mount it) and it's very good. My only complaint with DO is that their storage is expensive since it is all SSD, but Spaces+Goofys solves that problem. Hopefully they have bigger plans than the $5/250GB in the future though.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What is the best practice for hosting multiple domains on a LEMP stack? There are four domains, each using wordpress, and I am moving them from their current shared hosting to a VPS (probably digitalocean).

I'd like to have all four sites on the single VPS, however if ONE wordpress site gets owned/hacked, I don't want the hacker to be able to get to the other three sites.

Is Docker the best way to do this, with maybe the host running nginx as reverse proxy, or should I make multiple linux users for each site and follow something like this:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-host-multiple-websites-securely-with-nginx-and-php-fpm-on-ubuntu-14-04

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Soaring Kestrel posted:

I use FPM pools separated by user and chrooted and have not felt any concern regarding security or performance, so that's my personal recommendation.

Is that Digitalocean guide pretty accurate on doing that?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

nem posted:

WordPress is only as safe as you let it be. People do stupid things, so if you can't trust your friend to not do stupid things then pass. Just today I handled a situation where a theme allowed a user to enter an arbitrary email address and send a copy to itself... sure enough that was exploited by a Chinese botnet of around 250 distinct addresses to spam.

analogy i use with one of my clients: Each wordpress plugin/theme you install is like raw-dogging a random hooker off the streets. maybe you get lucky, or maybe your entire site ends up with herpes (Easy WP SMTP i am looking at you)

also Why is wordpress so loving popular. IT IS SO BAD AND STUPIDLY DESIGNED (like 99% of php apps are). Elementor is pretty sweet I admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Thanks this is all great info and exactly what I've been looking for, and I'll check out apnscp