Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I have a DNS question, if this is the wrong place to post it, can you point me in the correct direction?

Alright, so I have a shared hosting plan on website.com and a dedicated server that I'd like to have as dedicated.website.com. The main site, website.com, works fine, but yesterday I set an A record to 12.34.56.78, my dedicated server's IP address, with dedicated.website.com as the name, however, a day later it is still unreachable. I don't think it's a propagation issue, since it's been a day, and my TTL was set to 3600. Isup.me also lists it as unreachable.

The server's running Apache, and I can reach it over the internet via its IP address, 12.34.56.78, but not through dedicated.website.com.

On the dedicated server, in ../apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf, I've also set...
code:
#commented out readme stuff
NameVirtualHost *:80

#commented out readme stuff
<VirtualHost *:80>
	DocumentRoot /root/to/site
	ServerName dedicated.website.com
</VirtualHost>
...and restarted Apache, but still nothing.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

edit: if I restart Apache through the terminal with -k, it reads:

quote:

Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using user.local for ServerName
edit: in httpd.conf I changed ServerName from its default to dedicated.website.com:80 as well and restarted Apache, no change.
edit: through a combination of the above and doing domainname dedicated.website.com in the terminal, I no longer get an error when restarting Apache with -k, however, it still doesn't work either :(

Triglav fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

That's pretty normal.

To be sure it's not a DNS issue you can add your site and IP in your hosts file with a line like this:

12.34.56.78 Triglav.com

You can also use (assuming you're on a Linux box) the nslookup and dig commands to see what your DNS server returns for your domain name.

When adding it manually to the hosts file of another computer, it goes through fine.

However, back on the server I'm getting NXDOMAIN returning for both nslookup and dig... huh... I think the issue lies with my DNS registrar. Thanks.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I've had good experience with NearlyFreeSpeech, but their management panel is perhaps over-simplified for some, and "whois" privacy costs $0.01 per day.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I'm buying one of them fangled new gTLDs, but it has a whois-privacy restriction. I've never put fake whois info, but I've always had privacy options to obscure it. How likely would taking a little creative liberty with the validity of that information get me in trouble — like, say, an initial or an imprecise street address? I just don't like my information being so harvestable.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

drk posted:

Anyone have experience with nearlyfreespeech?

I'm looking to migrate 1 or 2 sites off our current crap host*, each of which gets about 1000-2000 hits per month. I dont think we'd need more than 1GB of space and a few GB of bandwidth.

Lithium and Apis look good too.

*whoever added powweb to the OP should be taken outside and shot.

I've used NearlyFreeSpeech for years and definitely recommend it for static stuff like resume pages and some low-traffic sites. NFS is great if you basically just want a modern Geocities site. If you intend to do a lot with your account, though, consider that their pro-rated approach may cost you more per year than a typical shared hosting service.

They also have a calculator: https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/estimate

I wouldn't go with them for what you want to do.

Triglav fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 15, 2014

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I have three questions.

First question:
deleted, no longer need help

Second question:
deleted, related to first

Third question:
The specific wiki engine I'm using likes to use capital letters in its URLs, like ~/wiki/Topic. I would prefer to have them look like ~/wiki/topic. How would I do that? I've tried a bunch of Googled htaccess stuff to no avail, but I'm thinking I might need to rewrite some PHP.

Triglav fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

There's currently no folder called /page/, just a blog entry at /page, and a folder at /wiki/ that I'd like to rename /page/. It doesn't seem to work when I rename the /page blog entry to /old-page and the /wiki/ folder after to /page/. I get my blogging CMS' 404 page instead. I think this might be an issue with my CMS, so I'm playing with its PHP and MySQL tables right now.

Edit: Forcing the URL change in my MySQL tables seems to help make it work for some reason????? :iiam:
I guess my CMS is doing some questionable trashy garbage. I'll just modify the table for that entry's address when I'm ready to go. I've given this problem too much of my time.

I would still like help with my third question, if anybody knows:

Triglav posted:

Third question:
The specific wiki engine I'm using likes to use capital letters in its URLs, like ~/wiki/Topic. I would prefer to have them look like ~/wiki/topic. How would I do that? I've tried a bunch of Googled htaccess stuff to no avail, but I'm thinking I might need to rewrite some PHP.

Triglav fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

It sounds like you want to link between articles a bit. Maybe a wiki would be better than a blog?

Wordpress offers free hosted blogs on their site, and Wikia offers free wikis on theirs.

If you want to go a self-hosted route, NearlyFreeSpeech might be a good option. It's pay as you go, so you pre-pay however much you want, and then each day it charges x-amount for storage, y-amount for bandwidth, and z-amount of CPU time (such as MySQL or whatever). So a couple pages getting a couple views daily would be a couple cents monthly.

If you wanna skimp out on paying for MySQL, PmWiki comes to mind as a wiki that doesn't need it, but I'd look into Wordpress (or even Tumblr) and Wikia before paying up for something you might not need.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with Vultr's $2.50/mo plan? https://www.vultr.com/pricing/

I'm just looking to serve static files with Nginx while running a couple cron jobs.

Has Vultr ever shown themselves to be lacking in their security, like Linode?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Yeah, I see that now. It's only available in New Jersey and Miami. Doing some reading online, it seems consensus is the plan is mostly a marketing gimmick, and they limit them so too many people don't downgrade from $5/mo to $2.50/mo.

I'm still curious about the plan, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I went ahead and got a $2.50/mo Vultr yesterday. So far it seems fine. Stressing it locally, top shows nginx using 10% CPU and 0.4% RAM to serve 1000hits/sec with 0ms response time. You get a static IPv4 with it, their web frontend is clean, with usage charts, a terminal, a reboot button, easy snapshots, etc, and you can add their backup solution for $0.50/mo (or just do it yourself).