Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for a decent shared host the past month and I've signed up with a few companies to test things out. Most recently I tried Bluehost, but I canceled within an hour after experiencing their piss poor management of add-on domains. They force you to put add-on domains within a subdirectory of your primary domain's public_html folder. The only way around it is with a mess of htaccess rules.

To top it off, when I wanted to cancel, they had me confirm the last four digits of my password, so you know they are storing it in plain text.

I've also tried dreamhost (I know, I know), and they seemed okay despite everyone's hatred of them.

I was previously with 1&1 but my site was always down, and when I asked them for help they said it was my ISP rather than their service. I switched hosts and the problems disappeared (hmm!)

I am currently with mediatemple, but they are incredibly slow and I don't need to be paying $20/mo for stuff I don't need.

My main concern is with add-on domains more than anything. I would like to configure their locations on the server so I can install stuff outside of the html directory easily (like zend framework) without having to mess with htaccess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU