Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I'm making a web site for a client, while running some domain names by him, we found one that was for sale by buydomains.com via godaddy for 2 grand. It is a pretty catchy domain name and seems to be a good investment maybe, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Can it be looked at as an investment? Like, if we buy the domain name, pay the yearly charge, and in 4 years resell it? I know we don't 'own' the name, but do we have rights to sell it?

Is buying a domain a good idea? It seems like for branding, having 'companyname.com' is a good bet, but I don't know much about domain reselling so I want to make sure I can advise him to do the right thing.

Once we 'buy' it and as long as we make payments regularly, can it be.. like stolen somehow? How important do you guys think a good catchy domain name is for a service based brick and mortar shop? The place turns a good profit and he wants to expand, so 2 grand for a good domain name that isn't "mycompany-name_online.biz.cc" seems like a decent idea but I'm not sure what the catches are.

Thank you in advance you are the best.

Umph fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU