Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'm a Spec. Ed. teacher and I need to make an extremely basic HTML website that my students can access to download PDFs of worksheets, see announcements, etc. Everything is online now with covid-19 and I'm trying to not let these guys fall through the cracks. The more full-featured solutions the school district offers would be great if someone was working with them to teach them the procedures, but they won't have anyone to help them, and so I think this will work best for now.

I'm imagining a one-page site with a checklist, maybe one or two PDFs or DOCs at a time, and my contact info. Maybe some very basic CSS if not just HTML. As straightforward and uncluttered as possible.

AngryHostying's price is right but is there anything I should be thinking about in terms of costs or hosting problems? Will I suddenly be out money if I somehow blow the sites bandwidth or something?

I've only used one stop shops like Wix and WordPress before so this is all new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Do you need help coding something up as well as hosting? AWS S3 free tier might be a good option for you that’s pretty easy to set up and wouldn’t require any maintenance.

I don't think so. My HTML skills are circa 1999 Angelfire websites with some CSS knowledge but I think that'd be enough for my purposes.

Also thanks for the responses everyone. If they can host documents for download then maybe I'll just go the Wix or Wordpress route.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

You're underestimating how much the straightforwardness of something like Google Docs is a result of a more broad familiarity with tech ecosystems. Like Shakespeare is hard, but it's less hard when you have a strong command of the English language, and it's much more hard if you're only literate at a grade 2 level.

The reality for most of my students is that they're primarily accessing the web via their phones, probably leeching wifi from a public hot spot because they don't have internet at home. Average reading level around grade 4, very low ability to work through a novel problem, very low working memory. That's why I was thinking a static website with a simple URL, no registration requirements, and a completely basic layout would have been the best.

Anyway I found Wix tedious so I bought a domain and the basic hosting at AngryHosting but now all I get is a 403 error so that's how my adventure in web design is going.