Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I am having a weird issue with a dedicated server I have that I haven't really encountered before and is beyond my basic knowledge. It's a plex server, if that makes a difference.

Can I post questions about how it runs/how it works in here and get some support? Or is there a better place to post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Bob Morales posted:

Ask. Worst case if nobody has any ideas they can direct you to a thread where someone else might know

Okay!

So I have this plex server in Finland that I've had as a shared server for a few years now. I just upgraded to a dedicated one and unfortunately was getting similar (very slow) sftp and browser download speeds. I went back and forth with support who was a huge help, but after learning about and doing MTRs from the server to me, me to the server, and the server to a friend in my city on a different isp who gets speeds I would expect, the problem lies in about 85%-90% packet loss at a single point through a tier 1 company called Telia.

The internet is full of complaints about them it seems, but is there anything I can do to route through someone who isn't telia? I figure that's up to my ISP but I don't know a lot about this stuff and am in a bit over my head. The only solution I can think of is switching ISPs but that's going from DSL to Cable and not what I really want to be doing.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Biowarfare posted:

Telia rate limits ICMP on their routers, it's unlikely you'll even have passable connectivity at 90% pl. They're also so large in the nordics that you'll be hard pressed to avoid them unless you find one that has mutual IX peering.

Who is your ISP, who is your hosting provider, ideally provide a test IP for all parties involved (first 3 octets, you can drop the last one)

Usually the cheapest way is just changing hosting providers.

Yeah that's what I figured :( My SFTP speeds will spike to 1.5MBps, and then drop down to like...10kbps.

My ISP is Telus, my friends is Shaw (both western Canada).

Server IP 185.148.3

My IP: 154.20.191

Friends IP: 174.7.115

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Biowarfare posted:

lol pulsed is like the cheapest rear end single-upstream seedbox provider there, i wouldn't blame telia for this...

they basically have one default route / one provider and can't do much for traffic routing or peering or w/e for you, aleksi is a cool guy but they don't really run or manage their own small-ish network, just interconnect with another finnish provider as a customer

does multithreading help at all?

Bummer :( yeah he's always been good to me but I guess I could have done more research before just staying with the same seedbox provider for a dedicated server.

I was using winscp and I don't think it supports multithreading? I also don't really know what multithreading is or if I'm doing it right.

Let's say I switched providers, there are probably better ones to go with?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Biowarfare posted:

See if you can download in a different way, like set up a webserver and use multiple connections / a download manager, instead of using winscp.

WinSCP also in itself isn't very fast / SCP isn't very fast in general compared to, say, HTTP/3 or QUIC.

That's good to know! I'll give other ways of downloading a try.

Ceros_X posted:

I'm a pulsed customer, for quicker downloads I'll go to the 'access Data directory directly for HTTP downloads' page and use a download manager that supports chunks etc for large single files. Don't know how if that helps.

It does! What download manager do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ceros_X posted:

DownThemAll for the download manager and FileZilla for SFTP client

Thank you! It didn't work super well but I appreciate the tips.

I have a weird maybe solution. My work has a fast and capable connection on the ISP that does not have any packet loss. Is it possible to download through that connection with a raspberry pi or something?