Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Amazon is giving out a year of free hosting, if you want to play around with it.

It's not much (15GB transfer, 610MB ram, 10GB disk) but it'd make a nice sandbox. Default is their version of CentOS or some equivalent (well, there's yum at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

less than three posted:

Heh, I noticed this there.

Have data that a computer can't process efficiently? No problem!

We've turned human beings into a usable API for your platform, so you can feed them data and they'll return it, just like a machine! :haw:

mturk for the most part is pretty much just spammers pushing cpalead offers and various other terrifying, disgusting things at this point ("website usability testing - receive a text message on your phone"), unfortunately

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
linode, prgmr, etc.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

12_String posted:

What do you do if your host lets your domain lapse even though you paid them well ahead of time?

Made2Own.com has done this to me (twice...it seems I don't learn quickly enough), won't respond to my ticket and is totally ignoring me. I want to move, but I need to unlock the domain so someone else can handle the registration but it seems I can't do that without Made2Own cooperating. I even paid to register it again a month later when I suddenly found a placeholder where my website used to be. Now they have $30 of my money and haven't moved an inch to solve the problem.

If I could actually get hold of a live person, maybe there would be a chance to solve the problem but there is no contact other than through their nonexistent support process.

How can I register the domain, bypassing Made2Own and get the thing released so I can get back up as soon as possible on another hosting service?

I'm so frustrated with these bastards and there doesn't seem to be a damned thing I can do about it.

The kicker is that I found them on here advertising in SAMart and got my employer to use them. Now I've got to go to my boss and explain that they're probably going to flake on the company website too and we should move ASAP.

are you sure it's even your domain at this point?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
get suphp working or something, iirc

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Fangs404 posted:

I understand what suphp does. I think you misunderstood my point. I expressly state that chowning is a very bad solution (read my blog entry). The solution I came up with (selectively chgrping just a few directories) is better than chowning everything (more secure) and better than suphp (much faster).

Most php scripts I use don't actually modify files/directories. They simply edit a database. My WP blog is the exception to that. I don't want/need suphp for every php site I run.
I just toss varnish in front of everything with some rules and I just don't give a gently caress about the suphp performance hit anymore

Probably a bad idea, but :v:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
http://r-1.ch/img-hosting-script.tar.gz ?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Coca-Cola yum! posted:

http://www.hostable.com

Right now they are doing shared, unlimited hosting for a one-time verification fee of .99c for 3 years.

It would likely be very slow due to the amount of people signing up, but still thats a pretty good deal to just have somewhere to mess around on.

http://www.hostable.com/why-is-it-Free.aspx

e: Forgot to add, after 3 years they will start charging you automatically, so do be careful to remember to cancel when you are finished.

Hostable charges a non-refundable set up fee as well as its periodic service fee which in some cases may be refundable as further set forth elsewhere herein. Hostable charges an Annual Domain/DNS Maintenance Fee of $.17 per month per domain name, a Universal Internet Service (IPv6) Recovery Fee of $.07 per month per domain for Domain Only accounts and $.34 per month per domain for all other accounts, and a Wind Energy Surcharge of $.57 per month for all accounts except Domain Only accounts. Hostable may also charge you for Domain service fees and specifically reserves the right to institute additional charges upon notice to you. Hostable reserves the right to alter, change, amend or delete charges at its sole discretion. Hostable further reserves the right to institute new services and charge fees in association with the provision of such new services as it deems appropriate.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

Which means it's $0.15 cheaper to go with Lithium Hosting. I'm surprised goons are recommending things like this without reading the fine print. That's still just under $14 per year, which is a long way from $.03 per year, which the ad stats :shobon:

(c) Hostable reserves the right to charge an early termination fee of $35.

5.02 The initial term shall be as set forth in the Order Form (the "Initial Term"). The Initial Term shall begin upon commencement of the services to Customer. After the Initial Term, this Agreement shall automatically renew. Additionally, up to sixty days or two months prior to the initial term ending, customer acknowledges, agrees and authorizes Hostable to automatically bill and/or charge their credit card for successive terms of equal length as the initial term, unless terminated or cancelled by either party as provided in this section. After the Initial Term, this Agreement shall automatically renew at the current listed fee. A list of current fees are available on the Hostable website and the rest of the fees in this Agreement.

And the initial term is 3 years, so the autocharge will be for 3 years
:psyduck:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DreadCthulhu posted:

By the looks of it, I'd be 1/mo for basic shared hosting, 13 bucks for a domain and like 50 bucks a year for google apps, right?
Buy domain elsewhere, I recommend gandi. Google Apps is free, it's a couple MX records.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DreadCthulhu posted:

Why would Lithium be a poor choice for registering domains? Just curious, for future reference.
Rule of thumb for me and a lot of others I know is to just not buy domain and hosting at the same place, due to billing reasons, potential screwups, anything really. If it was some major never-a-negative-review place same would apply

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CampingCarl posted:

Is there a general consensus on where to get domains from?

General consensus is "anything, even a pile of dog crap, is a better domain registrar than godaddy"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

thegasman2000 posted:

Their labyrinth is a loving mystery!

I think you meant this. Does their control panel still require you to submit a ticket to add DNS records that aren't A?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
https://dns.he.net/

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Alastor posted:

Thank you!

I'll look into WiredTree today and I'll read the things you told me to read.

Take a look at pair and knownhost while you're at it too

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

mmm11105 posted:

Quick question. I have a potential client that currently uses a cheap, flash based, build your own site company for hosting. He has a google apps email through that company. How would I go about transferring that google apps account to a new hosting plan without disruption to his email.

Add appropriate MX records on your zonefile for his domain, change nameservers. GA is not part of the host or part of the plan - Google APps is a completely separate service from a separate company

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Comatoast posted:

That is some really cheap VPS hosting.

I wouldn't touch openvz but that's just a personal thing. Would much rather get a KVM/ESX/Xen HVM VPS even if it cost more.

Burst vpses are okay if you enter with reasonable expectations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

B-Nasty posted:

Do you know anything about their 'SolusVM' implementation for Windows VMs? I assume there are drawbacks compared to Hyper-V, but they are the only place I've seen that is cheaper than GoDaddy for Windows 2008 VPS.

Solusvm is a cheap vps control panel, not a virtualisation technology. don't know what they're using for virtualisation.

Kinda unrelated but I wouldn't use any godaddy product for pretty much any reason...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

orphean posted:

I've been spoiled by VPSes, I find dedicated servers annoying to deal with. I swear I remember reading about an offering where you basically got a dedicated server to yourself but it has a single VPS installed on it so you sort of got the best of both worlds.

For the life of me I can't find it right now 'semi-dedicated' and 'hybrid' now seem to be more like the shared hosting model of just putting you on a box with fewer users not a box to yourself.

Would like to try a setup like that out someday and see if it's as good as I hope it is.
Something like https://aws.amazon.com/dedicated-instances/ or http://iweb.com/dedicated/smart-servers/

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

More of a DNS question, but...

Let's say you have a bunch of websites, all on one server:

site1.com
site2.com
site3.com

And they all have NS records pointing to the same IP address, such as 11.22.33.44

For making it easier to move them around in the future, could you point them all to the same CNAME, like web.myserver.com?

Then when I move to a different host I can just change the A record for web.myserver.com instead of 50 or 100 individual records?

Pros/cons?

isn't CNAMEing site.com against some form of RFC and would break mail handling and other inane things?

www is fine, apparently

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Pingdom has a one-website free plan that can text you/email/twitter you if your host goes down.

It can check status codes, and check if certain text exists on the page.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Is there really any worry on running WordPress and Joomla! on our production servers, full of our production apps and data (no credit card numbers or things like that, but nonetheless it's data)?

We're re-doing our site as a Joomla! site, and instead of throwing it on a VPS or something they want to throw it on the 'main server'. I suggested we put it on it's own server, the rest of the team came back with "It's already running Wordpress and Interspire, what's the difference?"

Am I coming across as a paranoid freak or am I the only person with half a brain? I know Joomla and WP aren't rinky-dink CMSes but it's still not bright to stick it on a server that runs your core business production apps, right?

Jail them somehow, don't run as same permissions or anything if you really have to. Considering both applications' track records, I wouldn't run them on the same.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Seven Round Things posted:

A bunch of random crap, an html/css design testbed, a place to put my lovely game when it's done. Nothing very interesting and certainly nothing worth bothering someone in particular for. I have had two free hosts in the past; one went down without warning, the other suspended me because I re-hosted some GBS story with readable formatting (it only existed as a text file or some such), because it had 'adult language'. I was just curious if anyone could vouch for a free host that's unlikely to shut down and doesn't have draconian automatically-enforced non-appealable content policies. Probably too much to hope for.
Give http://www.alwaysdata.com a try, your disk/bandwidth is extremely low though.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, out of all the "oversold to death unlimited" hosts (such as justhost, bluehost, hostmonster,etc), Dreamhost is leaps and bounds far above all of them...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ClosedBSD posted:

"I wanna be a Dreamhost Girl"

Is GoDaddy bad at hosting? I don't think I'd ever host with them but I always hear absolutely terrible things about their domain name policies, yet never any mention of good/bad service. I always assumed they were probably the worst of the worst.

Godaddy is awesome at hosting if you like having less uptime and slower speeds than hosting it at home off a dialup line, possibly on a C64.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Molten Llama posted:

Is anyone here colocating at PhoenixNAP (or even using a web host that is)? I need to throw some servers into a local datacenter and I'm wondering if their walk is as good as their talk.

It's probably a long shot asking here, but WHT's been largely inaccessible for me for a couple days.

I have a cheap box @ securedservers which I think is a subsidiary or something, never had a problem with that

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair most of godaddy's support tickets probably consist of "can i gently caress danica if i give you guys my credit card"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Use Linode, never turn back.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I use gandi.net.

Yes, just change nameservers/point A/AAAA records

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
email@myaddress = https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

A5H posted:

Oh wow google sell domains too! Any downside to buying with them?

E: Thank you :)

don't register your domains at a host, don't host at a registrar

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Buy your domain at name/hover/gandi/moniker or something (not godaddy ever)
Host at lithium(?), email at gapps

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Tacos Are Good posted:

That makes sense. O'well, a vps is definitely out of my budget for what I want to do.

$3-4 a month is out of your budget?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
amanah.com or astutehosting.com

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

I think it's like Slickdeals where people just buy poo poo because it's one or two dollars

one of the guys on LEB did DNS hosting for his personal site... with 32 nameservers

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ClosedBSD posted:

Hahaha, I want to see the link to his posting for this.

edit: Are there any cheap, less than $6 a month VPS hosts on LEB that Goons have good experiences with? It won't be for anything in production, mostly just for dumb projects and extra file backups, anything important I have is on the Linode.

LEB: allsimple, vooservers, xensmart, kazila

non-LEB: linode

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

I was searching for about 10 minutes for a cheap BSD VPS host, and then I realized since you can't use OpenVZ to cram 500 BSD VPSes on one server, there aren't any.

hostigation.com, KVM. $3

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone know of a better deal on a dedicated server than ServerPronto?

AMD 2000+
1GB RAM
80GB HDD
5 TB Traffic
100Mbps Connection

$37.95/monthly

For $20 I can add 20TB more bandwidth so I basically don't have to worry about overages on a 100Mbit port. Additional IP addresses are $1.50 a month (only caveat is there may be a setup fee, but it doesn't show on the order page, just the TOS).

I've heard some horror stories where you have to fax them your cancellation paperwork but that's about it.

I assume that CPU is an Athlon but could it be an Atom-class CPU like some low cost Intel dedicated servers? I'm going to use it as a VPN box so I'm not really concerned with RAM or HD. It would be nice if the CPU could handle a 100Mbs of VPN traffic though. They have an Athlon 4200 X2 but it's $30/month more.

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?page=1&xmldoc=In%20BCO%2020110502444.xml&docbase=CSLWAR3-2007-CURR

Also, Serverpronto is a pile of poo poo. You will love their billing system that will quadruple bill you. Or more.

I've seen one case where someone got charged the annual fee 12 times. Good luck cancelling EVER.

If you want a cheap box from companies that aren't horrid -
joesdatacenter.com
wholesaleinternet.net (maybe ask if they still have any $20 p4's in stock, not likely though)
interserver.net
honelive.com

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
btw, WII having a rare sale - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1072165
Won't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
More details. You have at least DNS pointing to the host?