Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have some generic questions. Looking at overhauling a friends automotive webstore from 2003 - I wish I was kidding. I've been outta building sites since early 2000's. It's low volume, maybe 4-5 figures a month, maybe 20-100 transactions.
1) Is Magento 2 as good as the ~50 results google spits back?
2) Is there a preferred hosting company? I see Bluehost and others. This guy is cheap...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That's a good point and I just read back a few pages. I'll check out these.

"You should not code or host an ecommerce + marketing site. I build web app daily and for your use case even I wouldn't bother. I'd simply compare the following places to see which one best fit my needs: Webflow, Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly"

I'm trying to find the balance of something that's decent and supports a good sized (1000+ items), easy to find inventory of parts and that's easy to update/manage/integrate payment solutions.
100% not my job, but when you see your friend loosing sales due to a crappy website - sometimes ya just gotta help if you can.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Ahh yes- should have made that clear. No intention to self host or use a VPS. Just looking for the best remotely hosted options.
Been there, done that. Happy to have him pay $100/m so I'm not having to be the support dude.
And most likely I will be the long term custodian. It's been a problem for the 10 years I've known him. Don't see that changing.

For my own person adventures, I'm looking at something like cloud ways. I just don't have time to build/update boxes anymore.
https://www.cloudways.com/en/amazon-cloud-hosting.php?id=65658&CHAN=awstut1

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Awesome, that's why I asked here. I'll start looking at Shopify.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Just got an email that Nosupportlinuxhosting was hacked and is shutting down. No other real details.

No Support Linux Hosting is Shutting Down
On February 8, 2021, a hacker successfully compromised all the servers we use to operate our business including the No Support Linux Hosting web site, Admin section, and our customer database. We can no longer operate the No Support Linux Hosting business.
All customers should immediately download backups of their websites and databases through cPanel.
Thank you to all our customers for the many years of business. We appreciate it.
http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

Can't say they didn't warn you

I would say I had a pretty good 10ish year run with them. Total spent for 3 basic sites was $26/year. Time to upgrade I guess. Pulled the DNS servers and parked the domains for now.