Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
If I'm a college student designing a website for a company as an internship, should I do reseller hosting or just get their information and let them deal with it?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Hadlock posted:

If you have the option to put "currently running a small business hosting for multiple clients for X years" on your resume after college I would certainly put some thought in to doing it. Obviously it depends on the situation. It's been a while since I was in college but I hear nowadays people leaving school have a hard time finding a job without 2 years experience already.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking, but I don't completely understand reseller hosting.

I'll PM the dude who runs Lithium and ask him.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 20, 2015

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but are there any definitive guides for both attaching a FQDN to OpenVPN Access Server and getting an SSL set up on it?

My google-fu here is not helping me much. I have an OpenVPN server running on Debian 9 if that makes a difference.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2019

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

What's the pros/cons between:

1. Set up a bunch of domain names and 1 server, create A records under each domain name to point to the same IPv4, and have NGINX blocks figure out what domain name goes to what document root

2. Create a server with a pool of IPv6 addresses, create a bunch of domain names, and set up rDNS configurations so that different IPv6 addresses point to different websites on the same server, and have NGINX blocks that go to different document root.

Is the only different that each site will have a unique IPv6?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 13, 2019

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

henpod posted:

Hey guys, I need some help with hosting. I don't know what i'm doing. Here is the timeline of events:

- I have a very small website, that just has my portfolio for job applications etc.
- It was hosted by a small IT company I used to work with.
- They have suddenly shut up shop and disappeared. I can't get hold of them.
- My website is offline, since their company, and hosting have ended.
- I need to get my website back up, as I am trying to apply for freelance work.
- I made a backup on the wordpress, while i was still up, so I might be able to get some / most of the content back.

My question is:

How do I go about getting my website back online? I still have access to the domain company (123reg), but I don't know / understand if my website is still somehow connected to the hosting company that is offline, or if its gone completely, and I just have the domain now.

I don't really know what i'm doing, and just want to get my website back online. I don't have access to the Cpanel or anything like that. Just the domain place.

Any advice would be appreciated :(

Do you have the ability to edit your domain’s records in your registrar’s dashboard (e.g. A/AAAA, CNAME records)?

If so, you’ll probably find a bunch of A records pointing to the IPv4 address of where your site was previously being hosted.

The first step is get your app hosted, find out the IPv4 (and optionally IPv6) address of the server, and edit all the A records to point to the new address.

At the least, you should have 2 A records - 1 for
code:
www.mysite.com
and 1 for
code:
mysite.com
Once that’s done (depending on whether you’re self-hosting or not), you’ll need to set up rules in Nginx or Apache or whatever web server you’re using and tell it to point mysite.com to the appropriate directory on your server.

If you’re not self hosting, i’d assume there’s a way to do this in some kind of cPanel dashboard or whatever.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

i've actually done this before and this is the guide i used:

https://pentacent.medium.com/nginx-and-lets-encrypt-with-docker-in-less-than-5-minutes-b4b8a60d3a71

hopefully that helps. i remember having trouble with it as well

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

PawParole posted:

What would be the easiest fastest and cheapest way for someone with no webhosting experience to upload a static website? I have only an HTML file.

honestly at this point going to recommend: https://neocities.org/ over github pages

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Mr Crucial posted:

What's the best way to publish or stream MP3 files? I have a Wordpress website that I use as kind of a hub for publishing videos hosted on Youtube and image galleries mostly on Flickr, and I'm looking to do the same for audio as well.

I've tried SoundCloud but they keep copyright striking me despite the files I'm sharing being public domain (mainly political speeches and things like that). Other options seem to be heavily focused on either being music platforms or podcasting platforms, neither of which are really appropriate for what I'm doing. I don't want to sell anything, just host and not get too badly hammered if something should prove popular.

Should I just host them directly on my site and rely on my CDN to protect me?

object storage would probably be a good solution for this

https://www.linode.com/products/object-storage/

it's pretty inexpensive and you'll get a URL out-of-the-box

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

i have a question a couple questions about shared CPU instances. i was reading this Linode guide:

https://www.linode.com/docs/products/compute/compute-instances/plans/choosing-a-plan/#shared-cpu-instances

and they basically explain how shared CPU instances are good for "low to medium" traffic, so my first question is what exactly does "medium" traffic mean?

i had a spike in users yesterday and my site didn't do great during it, so i'm considering moving to a dedicated CPU instance, but i'm not sure if there's other things i can do to mitigate the latency without necessarily spending more on my own box. my other question is, say I was using about ~50% of my CPU during the spike on the shared CPU box, and my response times for pages were about 1-1.2 seconds long, is there any way i could go back to the spike and see if my shared box was being throttled?

essentially what i'm asking is, how exactly do i know when i need to go from shared -> dedicated CPU?

(i had about 8000 users that didn't have adblocker yesterday come to my site throughout the day)

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

okay i know nobody answered my last question, but i have another one god damnit

last night i just tried out using object storage on my staging server for user avatars and icons that my site uses - all very small files (less than 200kB). when i deployed the code to upload the files to object storage and then read from it, the downloads were SOOOO slow. like 500ms to download a 150kB .jpg in the browser. what's the deal with that? is object storage just slow and i'm trying to use it for a use-case it wasn't designed for?

previously, i was uploading the files through SFTP and reading them from just normal file storage. it seems like it's faster, but i'd like to know if i should keep with this or was there something i was not understanding about object storage.

The Object Storage service I was using was Linode which uses s3 under the hood.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

jaegerx posted:

You have literally not said anything that we can help you with.

Ask a question, not "How to I make my site faster?"

First off, CDN for your AV's. that's just loving common knowledge by now.

e: if your poo poo is Wordpress just go sign up with loving Wordpress.

wait is it this https://basementcommunity.com?

lol shut the gently caress up loser

there were 3 different questions in there, you dumb bitch

teen phone cutie posted:

what exactly does "medium" traffic mean?

is there any way i could go back to the spike and see if my shared box was being throttled?

essentially what i'm asking is, how exactly do i know when i need to go from shared -> dedicated CPU?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 27, 2023

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Object storage is a heck of lot higher latency than the disk of a server, whether real, virtual, on a SAN or whatever. Typically, when you're serving something from object storage to users browsers, you'll put a CDN in front of the object storage to cache things closer to users. Object storage latency is generally a bit better when your servers are hitting the object storage, because you're already in the providers network and there's probably even a connection open already. The expectation is still that you will cache things you need with low latency.

Linode doesn't use S3 under the hood, Linode built their own object storage which is S3 compatible, meaning that it implements some of the server API that S3 uses. The S3 API has become something of a standard that lots of solutions implement: https://min.io/

Re: Your performance question:

I would get more shared cores before I paid for dedicated cores instead. You will need to profile your site to figure out why it is slow, is this thing PHP? Is the database on the same box? What's your disk I/O situation looking like?

With Linodes pricing the way it is, I would look at the dedicated CPU cores as something you do at the point where you're unwilling to move up to the next tier of shared CPU pricing.

good stuff thanks for this! i'm not exactly sure if i have a CDN in my budget but it's good to know all this. i recently added performance monitoring actually so i'm starting to get a better picture of where the the problems lie. the backend API is on the same box as the DB and the frotend is on a different box in the same datacenter

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

astral posted:

Cloudflare has a comprehensive free tier.

oooo yeah i actually do have cloudflare set up. for some reason i guess i thought image CDN caching was a separate service, so i guess i'm good on that regard.

but yeah, either way the benchmark testing i was doing on object storage vs. disk storage was loading up my page with caching turned off, so i'll guess i'll just stick with disk storage if it's objectively the better option for my use case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Aware posted:

1 - I use CF to forward to Gmail currently and you just setup your forwarded email addresses in Gmail as 'send as' accounts so you can choose whether you're sending from a custom email or your Gmail or whatever. Seems to work fine for me. It validates each email you add this way with an auth email sent to that address to make sure you control it. It's all free and works fine for my needs.

butting into this convo to say did not know gmail had this feature. What do I set as the username and password here to go through my cloudflare alias?

I already have my gmail account receiving from my cloudflare alias, but not sure how to configure outgoing email

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 3, 2024