Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got an invoice from HostGator to renew my domain name on November 1st, so I did. The payment shows up on my HostGator billing page and in my bank statement. Today I got an email saying my domain name has expired. At least there's a six day grace period. Also when I do a WHOIS, it shows up as on EXPIRED1.HOSTGATOR.COM with an expiration date of today. Also, the live chat feature on the HostGator site is broken. This is going to be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
HostGator went ahead and made my domain name expired anyway even though I paid them and confirmed with them over the phone and via chat that the domain name expiration was a mistake and it wouldn't actually expire. I'm transferring my domain names to namecheap as soon as I'm done backing up all my files, and then cancelling the domain name and hosting. I'm switching to APIS Networks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide between Lithium and APIS. For years I've been using HostGator, so I'm used to their ugly cpanel. I primarily use my hosting for a web portfolio and slightly for a development server that only I can see as well as a few personal projects. Nothing crazy. Lithium seems slightly cheaper with more bandwidth. but both have great recommendations here. I'm paying $8/mo for the "Baby Croc" plan on HostGator, so you know... anything better than that would be amazing.

I do very soon want a reseller type thing where I can have my web design clients hosted. I've been having them get their own hosting and mostly have been working with reseller companies who have their own hosting and outsource to me, but having my own server would be great. I could take care of hosting for my less tech-savvy clients that way.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

nem posted:

We both provide free 30-day trials, so why not give both a spin and go with what works best for your needs?

If I wanted to learn and dabble with Ruby on Rails, is that something APIS is better for since it doesn't use cpanel?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Removed while I figure some stuff out.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I need a good host that's cheap and reliable that I can throw development links on to show clients. Lithium was my choice for years, but I've had a bunch of problems with it lately such as incredibly slow imports with WordPress migration tools, if they even succeed at all. It's painful because most of what I do is developing locally, exporting, and importing doesn't work anymore.