Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
https://aws.amazon.com/activate/

I signed up for AWS a few weeks before applying to the above linked program and got $1000 in credit in about a week. They literally gave my company $1000 in AWS credit. If you have a startup it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tenasscity posted:

I'm making a little site to show off some art I've been working on and want my own website to put on business cards.

There are a lot of choices and Im not sure which service I should pull the trigger on, so I figured I'd just ask everyone outright.

Can anyone recommend a service or setup that:

1: Does not cost an arm and a leg. (I'll get maybe 30 visitors a month.)
2: Has decent software for website building for a guy who can't code past basic scripts.
3: Has tools for displaying a large gallery of pictures.

I'd appreciate any advice.

All of the big names are as you describe: Weebly, wix, squarespace

I see far more artists and photographers using format.com though so I’d start with format.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

optikalus posted:

It seems weird for me to recommend a Microsoft product, but Office 365 Exchange Online would also meet your requirements.

This. Also, Teams is p good.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aga. posted:

Well crap, nixihost.com, who I got started with here forever ago, are apparently not offering addon domains anymore. They suggested switching to their professional hosting but that's like an 8x increase or something and not worth it for the quiet single page websites I'm hosting. What's my best option, lithium for new stuff and then migrate everything over when my account expires in a year?

How simple are we talking? Could an S3 bucket serving a static website work?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just use a drag and drop site maker like Weebly or Squarespace. Weebly has a free tier. You do not need html or CSS or to host anything, you just drag and drop.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have a very basic question I'm embarrassed to ask.

Why do people use REST APIs instead of querying the DB with SQL? Is there any reason to make an API in the below example?

I have 6 Django or Flask web apps running on AWS EBS or Heroku. There's 3 DBs between them all in RDS. For all of them, when I render pages I have the app query the DB to get whatever data I want and serve the data on the page with f-strings or .format() (except for authentication stuff which is abstracted by Django and I havent read into it).

Is there a reason I should do these functions by making a GET/POST to a REST API instead?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Those are all great replies, thanks guys.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Black Sunshine posted:

Okay so my fiancee is starting a screen printing business and initially just needs a relatively simple site that will provide business information and examples of previous jobs/designs. She already has a domain registered but that's it so far and none of us know a drat thing about web design or hosting.

We need a one stop shop that will allow us to design a webpage and let them handle the rest for the most part. We'll be starting out very basic but want the ability to scale up with the service if we ever end up needing more advanced site tools/plugins/whatever as well as e-commerce if we expand beyond local poo poo.

Any recommendations besides Wordpress or are they pretty much the best place for this situation?

You should not code or host an ecommerce + marketing site. I build web app daily and for your use case even I wouldn't bother. I'd simply compare the following places to see which one best fit my needs: Webflow, Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly

I'd likely not touch or consider Wordpress.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Harvey Baldman posted:

I've had a Dreamhost site running for a bunch of years now and it has been... okay. Slow, but okay. But it's getting progressively worse.

Thing is, when I say 'a bunch of years', I really mean, like... 12 or 13 years. In that time I think I've stacked up about 300 GB of files in various folders on this account.

I'd like to move to something less lovely, but my budget is not that high. I've been getting away with paying like $10 a month to Dreamhost for a while and basically using one of those folders as a pseudo-dropbox for years. Is there any host I can look at that'll give me better service but still let me dump a ton of huge files on them like this, for <$20 a month?

It sounds like hosting the files on AWS s3 should be basically free. If the site doesn’t get much traffic, ec2 or lambda could also be free tier.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nem posted:

$7/month excluding bandwidth. Transferring all files out (300 GB) would be an additional $27/month, but realistically unless his URLs get abused that's not likely to happen. If it does however, Bezos would like to remind everyone that yacht mortgages aren't cheap.

Seems like a good deal to me given all the tooling and features of s3...cheaper than dreamhost and prob better in every way

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CopperHound posted:

Hi folks, a while ago a rolled a website on wix and I am getting tired of how hard they are pushing upsells. "Oh you want a form with one more field? That will cost twice as much as you're paying now. Oh you don't want our branding all over the emails you send through us? That's another $20"

I want to work on transition to more of a host agnostic solution to avoid this poo poo.

My requirements:
-low traffic (couple dozen site visits a day maybe)
-reliable - used for a small business
-some sort of backend coding - I used wix code heavily, but I imagine I can work with node.js or maybe php
-web hook endpoints
-database - I'm not an sql expert, so some management interface would be good.
-secure web accessible back end where I can make some web apps that interface with stripe.
-some ability to roll back when I or a co-worker inevitably gently caress something up.
-a way to manage content (after site is set up) that doesn't require coding

I think this is pushing me to rolling a virtual private server with frequent backups but it does leave me with one big concern: I am not an internet security expert and I have no capacity playing computer janitor once things are set up.

Any recommendations on which direction to get started with?

This use case sounds well below the free tier of AWS Lambda and free tier of RDS. So hosting would be completely free.

You can deploy python projects to Lambda using an RDS DB very easily using Zappa. Heres a walkthrough for Django.

If you're not already familiar with Django, the nice thing about it is its well tested auth that is built in. I often do projects with the Django-CMS plugin at the start of the project which gets me up and going with a DB, WYSIWYG editor and bootstrap. Django CMS admin panel lets you easily add pages and edit content with the WYSIWYG editor.

That setup should be 100% free and hostable anywhere.

I absolutely hate server-fuckling. I just want to code and release the product. I use the above described things for my small business.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 6, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DarkLotus posted:

From Wix to AWS Lambda and RDS?
That's quite the stretch.

I went from Weebly -> Django on EBS+RDS -> Same Django on Lambda+RDS

Zappa is real good at making getting on Lambda with a Django site easy AF.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Twerk from Home posted:

Can you share an example of a site running Django on Lambda? I'd worry that would make for a pretty slow site, but I guess the shared hosting we're comparing to is dog slow anyway.

Yea here’s a Django site deployed with Zappa on lambda (not mine). The button uses python requests to hit a gov API and then renders the response as a table.

https://f46tbhs8k6.execute-api.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/dev

It’s the fastest page I’ve ever tested on page speed:
https://ibb.co/fXJKRG1

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 9, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm seeing ~400ms latency on the really empty landing page, and ~2.5 second latency on the table view. I've seen worse, but 3 second latency is exactly what I was worried about with lambdas actually having to render some HTML. Not awesome, but I'm also used to doing either SPAs that get delivered from a global CDN, or doing HTML rendering in Java or C#, which is a good whack faster than NodeJS/Python/PHP.

Its better than I thought, and rendering HTML in a Lambda seems to be a legitimate option, I had always written it off entirely before. That specific page seems fast because it just renders a single table, really simple HTML. I appreciate seeing the example, though!

I'm not tryin to be a Lambda fanboy here but the table render being slow isn't due to Lambda, its due to the slow USASpending.gov API. The part Lambda handles, takes a couple ms, its just python's requests package. One of the reasons I like the Python frameworks is it makes it easy to do things like API calls server side, completely hidden from the front end.

That said, I failed to mention that I use a django package to send all my static to S3 and serve it from there via cloudfront (because they automatically gzip it). Implementing that is about 3 lines in the django settings/requirements and 10 minutes of clicking in the AWS console so its def worth it for those of us lazily serving some giant CSS/JS file I got from a template I downloaded.

That site is a project I give to python dev interns.

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: Hitting it again made it way faster, I'm seeing about 350ms now. I got a cold start on that one I measured. Lambdas seem to be a legit option to do server-side rendering, cool.

Oh yea thats another thing, when deploying with Zappa you set a keep warm time interval. If you get a cold lambda it def adds a bit. Guessing this guy didnt set a small interval.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 9, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Wordpress in TYOOL 2021, why I never

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boba Pearl posted:

So I have light computer-toucher experience (I've done hell-desk for 4 years, but not much outside of that,) and I'm wanting to create a website to host my stories, drawings, and animatics that I've created. I need this because A.) Some of the content I create doesn't work in github after a certain file size, B.) The videos I make are worthless without the story surrounding them, and finally C.) I'm switching some of my stories from one forum to another, and want to have a place that isn't paywalled if people want to read my old content. (The CYOA forum here has like a 20 users max, less than 8 total read my stories and I want to move to a place that has hundreds of thousands of people registered to read these kind of stories. I want to reach a larger audience.)

I want to be able to keep my stories separate from each other, and maybe have custom or thematic backgrounds for each one, be able to have a next button that moves between posts on the stories, and be able to embed videos and images to the story as necessary. I'll probably just be copy pasting them off the forums to a google doc, and then using a program that transfer between google docs and html.

I want to host the images and videos I create in such a way, that I can post the on forums and the like and they would embed like normal.

I really don't see more than maybe 20 - 100 people using this, and even that is overwhelmingly optimistic, that being said I still would want a host that would make me re-do everything if I end up getting larger traffic than I had planned. I don't think I need a big-girl host like AWS or something, just a simple website host that'll easily let me format and post images, videos, and texts.

Do you have any recommendations?

Would wix do what you want?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

fuf posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an email provider like Fastmail but cheaper or with more flexible packages?

I have about 50 mailboxes for hosting clients on Fastmail currently. The basic package is cheap but only 2gb, and if I have to bump a user up to the next level the price doubles and suddenly I am making a loss unless I renegotiate with the client.

I have always kind of swallowed the cost because outsourcing everything email-related saves a lot of pain, but my annual Fastmail bill is now my biggest business expense by a fair bit...

What’s the use case?

Would Gmail be better for your domains/clients?

Edit: also maybe fast mail would negotiate a discount or a service dump with you to not lose you as a client.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 24, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dear Hosting Megathread, I am wanting to set up something that looks/functions similar to Wikipedia. The project is currently in it's uhhh...not even fertilized yet stage, but hey one step at a time, right?

Would angry hosting be good to start out on, as I poke around and learn my chops on the wikimedia software?

Heroku is good, easy to use and has a free tier. Googling "MediaWiki Heroku" turns up several results deploying mediawiki to heroku.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Is there one of the squarespace/wix/shopify style hosting providers that someone here likes and which provide an API for managing products/inventory? I need a stupid-simple-to-manage site that will let products, quantities, pricing, pictures, etc. change or be added/removed several times per day by API. Shopify appears to fit the bill but I've not used them before, thought maybe the thread had a favorite.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CopperHound posted:

Be vary wary of hosts that are easy to set up but hard to leave. They tend to push upsells HARD.

I don't want to go as far as saying they hold your business hostage, but it sure feels like it.

Maybe see if woocomerce on top of WordPress fits your needs?

Thats involves setting things up, and potential for things to get hosed up. I'm pretty competent with deploying web apps to Heroku or AWS Lambda. My hope is to make a backend I deploy to AWS lambda that does some arbitrage between two systems and let some non technical people edit the marketing site. If they charge me $40/mo to keep it on their platform IDGAF because it saves me from making a django CMS site that is overly complicated and takes 2 weeks of work.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

frogbs posted:

Why not just use Shopify, Wix or Squarespace, etc. for all of it? All of them have WYSIWYG editors and easily editable products that could be adjusted by marketing folks. Just go with one of the easy default themes and be done with it! I think webflow does ecommerce too: https://webflow.com/ecommerce

Thats the plan, except the CRUD of the products needs to be automated. E.g. I need to edit 12000 products per day and for that to take 1 man hour or less per day. Hence, API.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

busalover posted:

Nah, it's more about "harry potter fanfiction". But thanks for that reverse ip link, seems like I share the same ip with 200 other sites. That's good.

Don't do it. I recently uncovered a lynchpin in a fraud scheme I was investigating with a reverse IP search. I was able to find other websites that the people doing the fraud owned which were in violation of the thing they said they would do.

It was on a shared host with ~500 ip addresses so I wrote 4 lines of code to find the ones that were active sites (maybe 200 of them) and then pasted all of them in to a browser plugin that opens 200 tabs. This took me maybe 15 minutes and is a standard tool in my toolbox.

dOnT dO iT

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'll deploy a dockerized image with a python web server onto whatever virtual host they set me up on.

Free tier AWS lambda?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Benson Cunningham posted:

Oh that's a good call. Thank you!

You can deploy docker containers to Lambda now it's p great. Suggest using the SAM CLI if you're not familiar with it. If you init with SAM it makes the process fairly painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

M_Gargantua posted:

Whats the Cost/Effort balance like for having an email server on a shared host vs. just using google workspace? I've been trying to get away from cloud based solutions and the whole google ecosystem for a while now.

You emails won't reach the inbox way too often to be worth it. Go with MS/Google/Whoever and make sure to set up SPF/DKIM/DMARC.