Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world

It's worth mentioning that a good amount of smaller-sized shared hosts use cPanel/WHM which is an utter piece of poo poo designed to make web hosting nice and easy. People with no server admin experience press buttons on a web interface that setup customer accounts, rebuild server software, etc. This cPanel interface is also presented to the customer with nice shiny skins and "one click install random out of date forum/blog script" buttons. You may find your site has a lot of reliability problems on a cPanel server since the crudely written Perl scripts often fail and require manual intervention. Since the owners likely have little server experience, you will often find many cPanel servers are compromised through insecure scripts on their customers accounts, leaving your site open to data theft, defacement, etc. cPanel itself is also full of security holes, the majority of the code runs as root so.. yeah.

After having my site on a cPanel server for a short time I can only advise you to stay the hell away from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The simple fact is that IRC has a long history of attracting DDoS and other bad things. Why risk downtime for your entire host or datacenter over one guy on an IRC channel? It has nothing to do with running a server too, I've seen a number of IRC clients get attacked because of dumb stuff: someone didn't like their nickname, was pissed off at the person, wanted to show off, etc.

There are providers out there who do allow IRC with an X strikes rule (eg if you get targeted X times you're gone), just search around. The majority of small hosts simply aren't permitted to run it by their datacenter.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

If you can't give out details about your security for "security reasons" then it's not very good security.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Sounds like an ideal use for Amazon S3.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

They oversell, just like Dreamhost can give you 10000 TB.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Welcome to every cPanel host.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Gelob posted:

Anyone have services with SimpleCDN? Seems UK2 Group/Softlayer terminated all of their servers.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1005111
https://admin.simplecdn.com/main
http://twitter.com/#!/SimpleCDN

That sucks, I was looking into ordering from them (100tb) tomorrow too. Any similar hosts that don't suck? Need a dual i7 CPU, 12+ GB RAM, dual HDDs, 6+ TB bandwidth and ideally some kind of backup solution and an SSD, hosted in US (East coast preferred).

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

DarkLotus posted:

Are you ruling out SoftLayer because of what they did to SimpleCDN? I actually have a couple of servers matching your specs but I bought them from The Planet before the acquisition.
We're already with SoftLayer and have outgrown their current offerings. Their higher end systems (Dual CPU, ++RAM) get very expensive very quickly. It seems we're in this weird position where the most common dedicated offerings are no longer powerful enough and the more powerful options are outside of our budget.

We've had a pretty good quote from Voxel that we're going to go with since I feel much more comfortable with it hosted at a reputable provider. Hello to the mystery goon who called to verify our account .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

orphean posted:

Why don't you make www a CNAME for mydomain.com and not set it up so it has its own A record?

Edit: Hell of those should be CNAMEs if the IP is the same as @'s.

CNAMES are not a convenience feature to avoid typing in IPs.