Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I have been using a @gmail.com address since it was an invite-only beta for all my personal stuff, but I'm beginning to feel like maybe it's a good idea to take steps to take control and since I recently got a really good domain and have a website pretty close to where I want it, to do a full on changeover to a custom email to have more independence and also because the @gmail.com is so easily guessable that I get, like, other people's bank statements who share my name.

I have a legacy Free GSuite account for another domain I own, that I use for my business-y stuff, but it's a much less cool domain and apparently you can't change the domain on legacy free accounts.

I currently use Spark as my mail client on macOS and iOS, and I'm pretty happy with it. Ideally I'd like something with EAS so I get them emails really fast.

So I've been looking into my options. It looks like they're:
  • GSuite, again, for money. I don't need all the non-email gubbins though and I kind of feel like a good part of this exercise is some healthy distance from Google
  • Microsoft 365 for basically the same as GSuite costs. Same as with GSuite, I do not need an Office suite. Feel weird giving money to Microsoft for approximately the same reasons as Google, but on top of that they're literally a buncha squares. Outlook.com has come a long way though, although I hate the ribbon poo poo so much on their desktop apps.
  • Stuff like Protonmail, which has a bunch of privacy stuff but you have to use their app
  • Stuff like Fastmail, which is priced well, aims at doing personal email, and has a great track record but is very light on the feature set, including no EAS

I've tried hey.com and while I really dig the workflows and the general vibe it seems very underbaked, so I'm not going to wait for them to launch their custom domain support.

Would love some insight here. I have friends in the IT support biz who swear by 365 but I dunno, Microsoft? And pretty much every business I interact with uses GSuites, but I dunno, Google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

MeKeV posted:

I have one aswell, and while you cant change the domain, I /think/ you can add another as an alias or subdomain or something along though lines. Could be an option?

e: I didnt click through it to see if it works, but just looked at my admin panel and the option is definitely still there "Add a domain alias Automatically create an alias for every user in the primary domain, giving them an alternate email address at a domain name you own."

Yeah I figured this one out. For anyone else in this predicament the real secret here is you can add an email alias right into gmail, and then set that as the default. The only bummer is that the google account stays as the old domain but once you have the default email set, no-one will even know and it will totally feel like that's the real email address. I set it up that way in Spark and everything was great. Then I went hog-wild, changing every single internet account (~1200!) over to the new one. It took some time but it feels very fresh now. Now if I want to change to something else, maybe Fastmail, or maybe Hey if it gets good at some point, then its very easy for me to change now.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

So if you have Wordpresses they won't run on S3 or other object storage systems. You'll need something that will run PHP.