Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My boss wants me to find a way to track client downloads (who and when). We host client data on S3 (our servers are on AWS). There's no native way to do this, it seems. I found an app called S3Stat. Anybody ever use it or have other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

S3 has "server access logging" which should do what you want

So I've got logging enabled, which produces a text file full of garbage. Is there a reallly basic how-to out there on how to interpret these things, using Cloudfront or something. I've been reading the manuals on AWS and it's not helping. It's just a daisy chain of tutorials, none of which are entirely clear they're going to do what I want them to, which is simply tell me the time and source of a file download.

To be clear, today was the first day I've even accessed the AWS console. I've only ever used S3 browser to upload files. But AWS it's becoming clear, is a whole thing. Feel like I need to take a class to get a handle on it.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

To ask the same thing as PawParole, but in many more words - I've got a Wordpress-based photography and blog website that I'd like to save/archive/hold on to but don't really update or add to anymore. Keeping it online but uneditable (is this a static site?) would be ideal but if I have to just save it to a hard drive and view it that way that's also fine if need be.

My current host is called Siteground. They do NOT use cPanel, so any backup archive produced from them is using something called "SiteTools". Which I'm guessing is incompatible with practically everything but Siteground. It did not work with Lithium, when I initially just tried to move to a cheaper host. But maybe I don't even use backup file to generate a "static site"?

I'm looking for the easiest method possible. Ideally something that I just take a file of the entire site, like a backup, and upload it to something and it works. Otherwise I need something with really explicit instructions that assumes no prior knowledge. If there is solution with a one time fee or low subscription cost that is possible.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

fuf posted:

In terms of backing up your site into a neat little package, try the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

In terms of hosting it somewhere, you just need a basic hosting package that can handle WordPress sites (which they basically all can). They'll vary from a few bucks a month to a few bucks per year depending on quality.

Thanks! I've already got Lithium hosting which I hit a wall with because they use cPanel and my Siteground archive uses "Site Tools". So everything including the database would have to be set up manually. No way am I gonna do that.

So maybe Duplicator will be easier. Has anyone used Duplicator to transfer their site to Lithium? Also what kind of hosting would only be a few dollars a year? That seems really cheap.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

DarkLotus posted:

I remember recently someone trying to migrate from Siteground and wanted me to restore a backup which isn't possible because Siteground doesn't use cPanel and LiPanel (ApisCP) can only currently import cPanel backups directly.
That doesn't mean your site won't work, but it will require doing things a little bit more manually which isn't too complicated.
I'm not sure if that was your ticket, but you're welcome to reply there. If it's not, open a ticket and I'll be happy to help.

I'd steer clear of any hosting that's only a few dollars a year, with this economy, that company won't last :P

To set the record clear, for all Shared Hosting, we're 100% not cPanel.

Thanks. Opened the ticket back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ok, so I got my site successfully migrated to Lithium, but there's something weird going on. It appears as it did in late 2015, including layout and media. No images or posts added since then are there. Yet I checked the backup and images uploaded more recently are in it. Somehow the site updated from a backup from 2015.

Late 2015 is the same time that I migrated my site to the host I am now migrating it from. So I think there is some connection there. What could be going on?