Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcana
Oct 31, 2003

I'll rape your dog with a plow!
I currently run a vBulletin forum about mapping and cartography. I have about 20 thousand members, with 2000 active members. I'm not using too much bandwidth, and I'm using about 20 gigs of space. I'm not limiting forum attachments, and I'm wanting to upgrade to the CMS suite...

Problem is...I'm hosted currently with GoDaddy. I've done nothing but sing their praises for years, and then out of the blue they popped up and told me I'm not allowed to have more than 1024 files in a single folder anywhere. So some of my users have of course made more than 1024 attachments and their attachment folder is filled with that many or more files.

I've asked for support from vBulletin, and everyone there has told me that's a silly requirement and I should seek another host.

Any suggestions? I need a good host thats in the same pricerange as 6.99 a month that allows me SSH, multiple domains, good space and bandwidth allowances, and no unreasonable restrictions on my file structure.

I currently use about 20 gigs of space, and about 6-8 Gb bandwidth a month if that.

Where is SA hosted? I seem to remember this huge story/thread about how this site stayed up through most of Hurricane Katrina, and its hosted there in New Orleans...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcana
Oct 31, 2003

I'm currently torn between Hostgator and Steadfast...Hostgator says they have a 250,000 i-node limit per shared account...which apparently counts for files and emails? vBulletin alone is like 7,000 files...so I'm not sure whether thats a reasonable limit or not. Steadfast is looking pretty good, hell its good enough for SA right?

Arcana
Oct 31, 2003

I know...does anyone have any experience with their shared hosting? That i-node limitation at hostgator kinda scares me...

Edit: I've read bad things about cPanel as well which hostgator uses...and steadfast uses Lightspeed and H-Sphere...how well does that work?

Arcana fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 29, 2010

Arcana
Oct 31, 2003

Well, I miscalculated my stats...I'm using about 5-7 Gb of bandwidth per day, not per month...that's pretty significant eh?