Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
What hosting company would be best for a site that sells screencasts? I haven't dealt with hosting large videos before.

If anyone is looking for UK shared hosting, you really can't go wrong with Clook. Their customer support is absolutely fantastic. I've received replies to my tickets within 10 minutes and most of the time they have already sorted the problem without me having to ask further questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
Oh hey guys! Speaking of web hosting (and not IRC), I second http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ the pay-as-you-go hosting.

For someone that runs websites for friends/family with bugger-all traffic, this service is perfect. I also had a tech support problem and was kicking myself for going with hosting with no proper "support". Turns out they do have support, you just have to pay for support tickets (10 for $10). Did that, submitted a ticket, got a reply within an hour with a friendly email and fix.

Can't complain.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
What shared hosting company would be best to host a site with 30+ videos/screencasts? These aren't streamed from YouTube they would be hosted on the web server, probably 40mb per video.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
Edit: Any Reseller hosts with control panels that don't suck rear end?

micropenis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 27, 2010

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
What is the best Reseller Hosting you guys have come across? Based on value, customer service, ease of use, etc.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

Yakattak posted:

I love the Goonrun Apis Networks. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=577837

It's more expensive than Lithium but they're great. Lithium is great too though.

I've actually got a shared hosting account with them and have added a few domains onto the account too. They are a great company.

However, I was looking for a way to accept payments (like WHMCS) and I figured I could only get that with a Reseller account.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

Yakattak posted:

Oh drat, I thought they did reseller because I saw it on the menu, didn't click it though, sorry.

Nah it's cool, I thought they did Reseller too but looks like they've discontinued it which is a shame :(

Edit: Being in the UK, I might just go with Clook. Their customer service is exceptional (would get replies within 5 minutes over email). Prices may be a bit steeper than others but you really do get what you pay for. They have a USA-based part of the company too!

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

less than three posted:

I've been using Innohosting and they've been nothing but fantastic.

Support replies within minutes generally, they give you a WHMCS license, and they do end-user support for your clients, free SSL cert and other goodies at no extra charge.

You can pipe your WHMCS ticketing system into theirs, and specify what time/department/etc you want them to answer tickets for you.

It's great to have that backup if you receive a ticket but can't reply immediately for whatever reason.

These guys sound fantastic. I like that you can purchase Reseller hosting in a UK data centre and piping your own ticket system into theirs is absolute genius.

Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely check them out!

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
Nice catch. Definitely going to switch to these guys once I get the chance, they look very promising.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

less than three posted:

I use Hover.

Same. Quick and simple plus their customer service is fantastic.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
InnoHosting is the poo poo.

I'm not with them anymore because I had to cut back on a few luxuries and didn't have as many sites as i thought warranted a reseller account.

Listen to less than three - you get your moneys worth, you know you are dealing with "humans" unlike somewhere like GoDaddy or HostGator which I imagine send templated responses to every question..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

Snowy posted:

I'm looking for a low budget host for a class-project site. I'll be installing Wordpress and building a site that will almost assuredly not be getting a lot of traffic, but I might want to keep it going beyond the class.

Oh yeah, I'm not a pro with this, so something noob friendly would be nice. Any kind souls have some idea of a good host for me?

Goon-run Lithium Hosting sounds perfect for you. They also have a free trial and Wordpress hosting off the bat in case you don't feel comfortable installing it yourself.

Don't let the word 'goon' put you off, they are a fantastic company and many other forum members would agree with me. I've got 5 or 6 sites running on their $10/year plan and haven't had any problems. Customer service is top-notch too.

</gushing>