Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another thing to consider if you're new to webhosting - try find a relatively local company. I used to host in the US because it was cheaper than here in the UK, and most of my traffic comes from this country. I switched over to a VPS in BlueSquare, London and the decreased routing definitely helps. It's also useful to host with a company that is in the same timezone as you.

WHT is the poo poo, you can get some great bargains in their forum that won't be advertised on vendors sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SSL query: I've bought my mum an iPad, and she uses an email address I gave her on my VPS. Her ISP is a massive pain in the rear end and have (for the ten years she's used them) blocked SMTP:25. I've got an iPhone myself, and found that if I connect on SSL I can send and receive emails, but as of a few updates ago it bitches at me constantly because I don't have a cert.

So, before I give her a tablet that won't shut up about a connection I'm using purely to get around a dumb port block I thought I'd use the free PositiveSSL cert I had from a domain registration years ago. I think I've hosed up though.

I set up the CSR for mydomain.com and have confirmed everything on both sides, and entered the key that Comodo emailed me into cPanel and it's accepted it fine. However, my email clients talk to server.mydomain.com and this doesn't seem to be seeing the cert. I've changed my clients to connect to just plain mydomain.com, but they time out.

Did I specifically need to put server.mydomain.com in the forms? As it was a freebie, there's no way of modification now it seems. If I've done something irreversible, does anyone know a service I can use to generate a cert just for email that costs a few bucks?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Both domain and subdomain are on the same IP. I use WHM/cPanel, so there's no frontend for iptables by default but I did a list and here are the relevant parts:

Chain acctboth (2 references)
target prot opt source destination
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere tcp dpt:http
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com tcp spt:http
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere tcp dpt:smtp
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com tcp spt:smtp
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere tcp dpt:pop3
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com tcp spt:pop3
icmp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
icmp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com
udp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
udp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com
all -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
all -- anywhere server.mydomain.com

I don't know much about iptables (other than I had a $10/mo box once, did something with iptables and blocked everything that wasn't local out of it for a few hours) but nothing stands out to me as being a problem?

I looked at the SSL part of WHM however, and there is a cert there for server.mydomain.com as well (I added my new cert, but this has made no difference). I don't know where it came from, maybe I added it years ago but it's not signed by anyone. I'm slightly hesitant to remove it, in case it kills email access at my mums place until I get there on Saturday. I also noticed if I go to the SSL version of WHM by clicking the secure link at the top, it also gives me the old cert.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Found the section, looks like that's going to be what I need to change as the dates match up with what I'm seeing when I try to send securely. Much appreciated, fingers crossed as if I can get this working in the next 48 hours it'll be a huge relief!