Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

tripwood posted:

Just say the loving line JC.

Go to the Ton, bro. Good poo poo goin down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I meant in the sense of a game that just takes every conspiracy theory it can get its hands on and jams them together, possibly while listening to Art Bell. 90’s and 2000 conspiracy theories were kind of fun. Now the best one we have is what, they’re making the frogs gay? It’s all false flag poo poo about very real dead kids and insane QAnon stuff now.

it would be way too spicy to actually be made but I'd love a 2020 deus ex where theres both a horrible epstein style conspiracy and a rival qanon right wing coup and the player has to fight them both. and also all the bad guys are in their late 70s and succumbing to dementia

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Regarding your second point, can't you just throw the boom from around a corner?
Sure, but I consider throwing a TNT crate to be the same as throwing a LAM. It's an entirely arbitrary line I've drawn for myself, but it just doesn't feel in keeping with the spirit of melee-only.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Chiming in to say I'm also down for a level by level goonplay. Not sure which I'd take. I've mostly farted around in the first few levels since I haven't done an actual full replay in donkeys ears.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Deus Ex: Bidecennial Edition 'Say the line, JC.'

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Butterfly Valley posted:

Last time I played, as a logical extension to my early game pacifism, I decided to neutralise every single NSF and UNATCO troop in the Hell's Kitchen fight before any of them could kill each other. There's two separate groups that aggro at the same time, one near the clinic and the other at the top of the park and it was a huge fuckin bitch gassing and thwacking them before anyone dies. They were super fond of breaking out of the gas rubbing animation for the 2 seconds necessary to murder someone next to them.

This was something that would be necessary during a Batman Beyond run. I feel your pain.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What about the 'Ton lobby before Paul shoots everyone?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm getting flashbacks of a flurry of gas grenades batons and prods. Pretty sure I managed to do that one as well. Another notable early one is the Hostage situation in the subway without killing anyone. Or when UNATCO attacks Castle Clinton and you have to knock out all the NSF before they get killed. Interestingly enough, Anna Navarre was OK with knockouts, as long as the terrorists were "flat on their backs". Or maybe the game can't tell the difference, I dunno.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Yeah, her reaction to castle Clinton is glitched. I want to say that if you kill one person and knock everyone else out, she gets pissed that you were too soft on them, but if you KO everyone, you're "not afraid to kill".

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The interaction about castle Clinton is flagged depending on your exit entrance. If you leave castle Clinton through front door Navarre assumes everyone is dead.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Oh poo poo, that's right. It's like Paul in the hotel. It's been a long time. Too long.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Last time I played I had this hilarious bug in the 'Ton where Paul would vanish from existence if I took my eyes off him at all, and would count as him dying. Saving his life was very difficult.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm getting flashbacks of a flurry of gas grenades batons and prods. Pretty sure I managed to do that one as well. Another notable early one is the Hostage situation in the subway without killing anyone. Or when UNATCO attacks Castle Clinton and you have to knock out all the NSF before they get killed. Interestingly enough, Anna Navarre was OK with knockouts, as long as the terrorists were "flat on their backs". Or maybe the game can't tell the difference, I dunno.
You can cheese that with tranq darts. Shoot the NSF from the top of the main stairs and they will all eventually fall face-down in a neat row along the subway tracks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't tell which encounter you're referring to but if its the hostage subway, wouldn't they trigger the explosives? My strategy was to sneak around back, release the hostages stealthfully, creep around to the top vents and use a combination of gas grenades, prods batons and tranqs to keep them from running into the lasers

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The subway. If I remember right the NSF will stay on the platform and pass out one by one as you dart them. After that I stick all the TNT in a vent shaft and EOD it by walking through the lasers myself.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Leave the next person in line in as weird/precarious situation as possible.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Last time I played I had this hilarious bug in the 'Ton where Paul would vanish from existence if I took my eyes off him at all, and would count as him dying. Saving his life was very difficult.
He tends to do that. I believe he'll always be alive so long as you leave through the front door, though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

twenty years

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Diggus Bickus posted:

Looks like someone managed to get a bunch of player models into the source engine and has way too much time on their hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQGcyHUVskU

holy poo poo :shittypop:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Diggus Bickus posted:

Looks like someone managed to get a bunch of player models into the source engine and has way too much time on their hands:

I can't get over the ranma gag with alex denton

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Diggus Bickus posted:

This is incredible. I'm so happy messing with my favourite game still appeals to zoomer memelords.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Castle Clinton was a cakewalk to keep everyone alive compared to that Hell's Kitchen fight. And the subway hostage situation is just fun, I was like a whack-a-mole or trap spider popping out of the vents and booping the guards and dragging them back in before anyone else could notice. I think I've even used some of the TNT to 'defuse' the trip wires after all the other TNT is safely stashed/lugged halfway across the map to blow something up.

Thoughts on killing the guy who literally asks for it in front of the war memorial? When I was a kid I thought I was doing the right thing by putting him out of his misery but now I understand drug comedowns and addiction I always spare him.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also when I visited America 5 years ago 95% of the reason I visited the statue of liberty was to see how much the island resembles the first level. I know you can take the staten island ferry for free to get a decent view but I wanted to be on the same ground as JC. The boat also leaves from battery park so I have a photo in front of castle clinton trying to recreate Denton's pose from the box art because I'm a huge nerd.

I also spent 3 hours driving into the desert from Las Vegas to see Area 51, or rather a heavily guarded security gate and an insane waitress in an alien mask in a bar in a 'town' that's 10 trailers and a UFO model nearby, but that's more because I was big into aliens when I was a kid

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

What other deus ex tourism have I done. Ah yeah same trip half the reason I chose the specific airbnb we stayed in in Hong Kong was because it was in Wan Chai, which is where the similarities started and finished. Paris is just as bad.

Prague from MD is a beautifully realised video game city and they do well to capture specific architectural styles but obviously the game is way more dense feeling than irl.

Trier I've visited a couple of times recently because I live 30 minutes away although I have gently caress all memory of how it looks in IW. The cathedral is cool though, a really weird mish mash of centuries worth of different architectural styles all on top of one another.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also when I visited America 5 years ago 95% of the reason I visited the statue of liberty was to see how much the island resembles the first level. I know you can take the staten island ferry for free to get a decent view but I wanted to be on the same ground as JC. The boat also leaves from battery park so I have a photo in front of castle clinton trying to recreate Denton's pose from the box art because I'm a huge nerd.

I also spent 3 hours driving into the desert from Las Vegas to see Area 51, or rather a heavily guarded security gate and an insane waitress in an alien mask in a bar in a 'town' that's 10 trailers and a UFO model nearby, but that's more because I was big into aliens when I was a kid

I dunno how close Liberty Island is but Battery Park and Castle Clinton do a great job of feeling like the actual place even if they aren't 1:1 replicas. I used to eat my lunch in battery park almost every day back when I worked in NYC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Butterfly Valley posted:

Paris is just as bad.

Playing the Paris level in Deus Ex made one thing clear to me, nobody in the dev team had any experience of France. The name "Nicolette DuClare" also reinforced this sentiment. And though I've never visited Hong Kong, its depiction in the game felt kinda theme-parky in a way the New York levels didn't.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'd say the Hong Kong street and metro signs are about the only thing that they get right but that could be the Mandela effect.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno how close Liberty Island is but Battery Park and Castle Clinton do a great job of feeling like the actual place even if they aren't 1:1 replicas. I used to eat my lunch in battery park almost every day back when I worked in NYC.
I was greatly dismayed that the closest thing to a 'Ton in Hell's Kitchen was a Doubletree by Hilton.

The ultimate New York game is still The Division. Holy poo poo did they nail it, and if it weren't infested with hackers I'd still be playing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Actual Wan Chai bears zero resemblance to the game. I also checked it out when I was in Hong Kong. There is a Tonnochy Road though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

I was greatly dismayed that the closest thing to a 'Ton in Hell's Kitchen was a Doubletree by Hilton.

The ultimate New York game is still The Division. Holy poo poo did they nail it, and if it weren't infested with hackers I'd still be playing.

That was spot-on. The expansion pack for D2 did a great job of it, too. I found my old office building and they even had the asston of food carts tucked away exactly where they were supposed to be, the bar I used to go to after work had its distinctive red storefront, fuckin' everything.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Going through my backlog I saw I'd never played Deus Ex: The Fall and since I loved the new games far too much I thought I'd give it a go.

Gotta tell you, it hooked me just like HR did. Although I did make the title a bit too literal when I managed to fall through the world looking at a pocket secretary all along.

It had all the bits I'd loved, talking to people, hacking, multiple routes... It even culminated in a big boss fight which I was able to whoop due to my high level.

Then it ended... :doh:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Did anyone post about the piss filter patch for DXHR directors cut? Even if you not a fan of the look, this is a really good write up. I'm pro piss BTW.

https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/04/26/dxhr-dc-gold-filter/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

dishwasherlove posted:

Did anyone post about the piss filter patch for DXHR directors cut? Even if you not a fan of the look, this is a really good write up. I'm pro piss BTW.

Add me to the golden filter camp too.

It's an interesting technical summary, and a surprising one to me. Last time I played DXHR I searched fairly extensively to see if anyone had restored the filter; the game just isn't the same without it. I'm surprised anyone cared, but it's cool to see it done in a technically precise way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dishwasherlove posted:

Whoa. I fired up the Director's Cut a few months back and the first thing I thought was, man this looks like poo poo and I turned it off after a few minutes. I remember thinking it used to look so good, but I thought it was just nostalgia or something. Now I think it was the filter, cause I played the game way back on the original release.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I think this thread proves that only TRUE DE fans appreciated the pissgold filter.

Honestly, I could understand the issues with it but I also really liked it. It felt like a reasonable future eye view where certain things are highlighted and the whole theme was "cyber-rennaisance" so gold makes sense to me. Just don't put it side by side with Piss Christ though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The gold was a bit much, the problem isn't that the DC toned it down but that it was ripped out and replaced with nothing.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I really enjoyed the whole Greek/Roman thematic they were originally going for, including the gold filter. It made DX feel distinguished in a field of grey/brown modern shooters that's plagued the market since HL2/Modern Warfare.

But people want realism so it's back to harsh, stark-white florescent lights and muted greys.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah whether you like the gold or not, the game's design aesthetic was designed with it in mind and if you just rip it out it's going to look like trash

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I didn't even notice they ripped it out, but the game's art director had a great vision and was right that a distinctive style will survive a lot longer than simply going for hyper-realistic rendering. Thanks for posting that!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I remember trying out the DC a while ago and thinking it looked bleh, I couldn't understand why I thought this game was such hot poo poo when it was released. This goes a long way in explaining, the piss filter really gives it an unique look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm surprised they didn't make it a toggle, the original release was really good about being modular about what graphical and interface stuff you wanted (like the item highlighting, quest arrows, etc).