Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

The load times were what killed me when it came out. I was running it on a loving SSD and I still had enough waiting time during loads to read an entire 400 page history book by the time I finished the game. I'm glad they fixed that. Or SSDs five years ago were just comically slow.

try playing Wasteland 3 today.

I've not encounter such loading times in a decade when I first switched to SSD only. MD sure was shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

haldolium posted:

I've not encounter such loading times in a decade when I first switched to SSD only. MD sure was shorter.

Yeah, waiting for a patch before I pull the trigger on that one, as much as I want it now.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, waiting for a patch before I pull the trigger on that one, as much as I want it now.

yeah I think I'll take a break as well until a few things are patched.

It is very good, but the techical glitches/bugs/issues are a bit exhausting.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

haldolium posted:

I want to play Iron Harvest because it reminds me of Company of Heroes, which I am also terrible at.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the Storage section in the inventory the old Pay2Win stuff? Can I use it every new game or just once like at launch?
So weapons reappear but not consumables. Still a massive crock of poo poo like at launch, I see.

Grand Fromage posted:

The load times were what killed me when it came out. I was running it on a loving SSD and I still had enough waiting time during loads to read an entire 400 page history book by the time I finished the game. I'm glad they fixed that. Or SSDs five years ago were just comically slow.
They must have fixed it, because I have the same SSD I did when the game launched (Samsung 850 Evo, SATA over M.2) and quickloads are fast enough now that I don't even bother checking my phone.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 6, 2020

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Prague is the best hub in the series, hands down.

A strong contender for best hub in any game, imo. I was absolutely floored when I realized that, sure, every nameless NPC on the street only has a few lines of dialogue, but each and every person has something different to say. I can't think of a single other game that's done that for an area with this many people in it.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Towards the end of mankind divided, I had so many crashes or bugs it was crazy. Mostly at the train station. I tried every fix at the time and the only one that worked was playing on an older machine that I had at a really low res.

I really enjoyed my time with it all things considered even though abrupt the ending was.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I just recent played MD and it was honestly a pretty smooth experience on a 6700k and gtx1080 and sata 850 Evo ssd at 1080p. I guess patches fixed whatever issues there were because I don't remember being particularly annoyed by loading times, or experiencing many crashes.

That reminds me i need to play some of the extra scenarios. I've only completed the main game.

MD was way more memorable than HR. I was honestly blown away by how detailed everything was.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't know if you guys have looked into it yet but Core Decay looks like it's very much our kind of poo poo:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260940/Core_Decay/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Prague may have been a great rendition of an open-world hub, but I still feel that it was wasted - even actively harmful - for a DX game. There's so much loot and exp in there that it ruins any story mission difficulties, nevermind the whole "Why the gently caress am I able grind loot back into a vendor, and what is exp even DOING in a dx game jesus wtf"

edit: better explanation below.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 6, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Serephina posted:

Prague may have been a great rendition of an open-world hub, but I still feel that it was wasted - even actively harmful - for a DX game. There's so much loot and exp in there that it ruins any story mission difficulties, nevermind the whole "Why the gently caress am I able grind loot back into a vendor, and what is exp even DOING in a dx game jesus wtf"

Yes, the best deus ex game was the one where you had no exp and universal ammo

The universal ammo doesn’t matter because you’re mega punching every walking ragdoll you meet

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Beg your pardon, let me rephrase that - the xp for praxis thing really bothered me, and having xp rewards being doled out for combat instead of on finite triggers encourages decadent gameplay. HR had the whole 'punch everyone then hide their corpses' thing, which is fortunately toned down in HR, but Prague is weird in that you can get a buttload of money & xp for just being a catburgler right out of the gate, and it really did feel 'ground out', compared to xp bundles in plot areas being handed out as you advance .

Imagine finishing Liberty Island with a few extra augs and maxed out rifles/computers/lockpicking/multitools, because you where so dang thorough.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

aniviron posted:

A strong contender for best hub in any game, imo. I was absolutely floored when I realized that, sure, every nameless NPC on the street only has a few lines of dialogue, but each and every person has something different to say. I can't think of a single other game that's done that for an area with this many people in it.

The Trails games do this. The NPC dialogue also changes every single time there's a major plot beat.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Serephina posted:

Beg your pardon, let me rephrase that - the xp for praxis thing really bothered me, and having xp rewards being doled out for combat instead of on finite triggers encourages decadent gameplay. HR had the whole 'punch everyone then hide their corpses' thing, which is fortunately toned down in HR, but Prague is weird in that you can get a buttload of money & xp for just being a catburgler right out of the gate, and it really did feel 'ground out', compared to xp bundles in plot areas being handed out as you advance .

Imagine finishing Liberty Island with a few extra augs and maxed out rifles/computers/lockpicking/multitools, because you where so dang thorough.

These are excellent points. I only avoided this because something needs to break up hopping around Prague and several sources said to avoid burning out on the hub by doing too much in the beginning.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Prague felt a lot like the various Vampire Bloodlines hubs where you could easily run around to different story missions and miss 80% of the game, but if you stopped and looked for any length of time there was a lot more going on. The crime scene side mission was really cool and I worried I missed five more like it, so I'm keeping my eyes open a bit more this time after I sequence-break the overclock thingy.

It's too bad there isn't a non-native only subtitle option, since of all the languages I can sorta fumble my way through Arabic and Czech are not among them.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 6, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't know if you guys have looked into it yet but Core Decay looks like it's very much our kind of poo poo:

laughing at the part in the video where hes typing 0451 into a keypad like "yep. i understood that reference."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Helianthus Annuus posted:

laughing at the part in the video where hes typing 0451 into a keypad like "yep. i understood that reference."

yeah, also at the rebreather having strong trailer placement.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm already starting to crash when moving into a new cell in Prague, which is Fallout 3 levels of shameful. Hoping this isn't a memory leak.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Eason the Fifth posted:

looks more System Shock than Deus Ex

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Serephina posted:

edit: better explanation below.

you're playing the wrong genre, all that stuff belongs and is great in a deus ex game. Prague is the best rendition of Spector's original vision of a detailed, accurate representation of a city block

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pretty sure you're thinking of Sapienza in Hitman

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm actually thinking of every level in Hitman

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4P2N5fyqbo

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

feelix posted:

you're playing the wrong genre, all that stuff belongs and is great in a deus ex game. Prague is the best rendition of Spector's original vision of a detailed, accurate representation of a city block
It's just too bad that Miller and Koller both chirp at you even when you clock a decent effort on Time Traveller. The detail in Prague is almost overwhelming at times - the bank vault alone kinda picked at my "shouldn't you be saving the world" instinct harder than even something like Mass Effect 3.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there any point to paying for points of interest with nu-poz across from the starting apartment? Can I not just discover those alone? I already read that it's not a rare commodity by most stretches but I try to leave one behind for Koller, the lady at TF29, etc :yum:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Eason the Fifth posted:

I added this to my wishlist; thanks

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Diggus Bickus posted:

Here's a project I'm working on to upscale all the textures in the game using ESRGAN. It's basically done except I don't know how the hell to release it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6Nub1ycxU

OK time to start making excuses providing development updates!

I will need to address a few problems before this can be released:

• Mipmaps are not handled correctly yet
  • The process for correcting texture scaling in levels doesn't work
  • I don't want to release a bunch of game resources as-is

Mipmaps

How mipmaps are NOT supposed to look

Mipmaps are a way of limiting memory use of textures by loading lower-resolution versions of textures when they are far away. Deus Ex stores mipmapped textures scaled by a factor of 2 down from the initial resolution all the way to 1x1 - so a 64x64 texture would be stored as the original size, a 32x32 size, a 16x16 size, ... down to 1x1. These downsampled textures are swapped out for their large-resolution versions when the player is close enough to see the difference. However, for some reason I haven't discovered yet, mipmaps are getting displayed at the wrong scale so there is an obvious seam between the different versions. I'm able to work around it by simply turning mipmaps off, but that causes my low-spec laptop to chug at long draw distances. I don't think this is critical.

Correcting Texture Scaling

Textures don't "know" how physically large they are - all the know is their pixel size. If I don't do any correction, maps would look like this:

To correct this, I reduce the texture scaling of each surface in each level by the scaling factor for its texture so it looks right. However, this screws up lighting:

Lighting data baked into the level gets scaled down when texture scale is reduced creating these tiles of shadow

To fix the lighting, I have to open each level in the level editor and "Rebuild" it, which rebakes the lighting into the level. However, the level editor released with the Deus Ex sdk seems to run differently than the one originally used to build the game, because many levels have huge errors if they are rebuilt:

The engine is supposed to connect to the wing

So to fix this, I'm planning to upscale the light maps in each level as well as changing texture scaling. This isn't trivial, as light maps are stored as bitmap arrays and will have to be physically 4x as large. Any changes to game data that involve changing the size of entities on-disk is dangerous because many objects have pointer references that depend on actual position in the file. I've got a proof-of-concept working for a simple level but who knows how much will be broken if I try this for real (and I still don't know how lightmaps for non-square entities work). If I can get this working, I'll be able to rescale textures in a level and fix the lighting without opening the level editor at all, so the level geometry errors should be avoided altogether.

Releasing the Mod Without Releasing Game Resources

If I can fix the texture scaling and geometry errors as proposed, I will be able to release the mod as an executable script packed with upscaled textures that modifies game resources in-place, instead of releasing the resources themselves. As a side effect, this has a chance of playing nicely with other mods because I won't actually be replacing resources, just modifying them. It also has the side effect of being able to totally gently caress up the game if something goes wrong :)

I've done all this in python so I'm going to have to look into packaging python executables, but I'm planning on figuring out how to fix lighting first.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember someone mentioning the Deus Ex Randomizer somewhere, I guess it wasn't in this thread. But anyways there's a Deus Ex Randomizer now evidently? https://github.com/Die4Ever/deus-ex-randomizer

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can anyone tell me where I've ended up?

This was behind a bunch of laser tripmines and a keypad that blew up and panicked everyone inside, then down a deep tunnel I ran into a guy who greeted me with "I don't speak English". Not exactly the MJ-12 base under Hell's Kitchen.

Laser entrance if it might jog anyone's memory since I quicksaved first:

This is all because I wanted to find a back door to the document office... MD is definitely turning into the game I never knew it was.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 7, 2020

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Diggus Bickus posted:

It might potentially be worthwhile to try and fix the geometry errors. It's been way too long since I have used Unrealed 1 for me to say this with confidence, but usually you can get stuff like that to solve itself by switching brushes to semisolids or changing where the zone portals are.

The reason I say this though is that a lot of DX's shadow maps are probably very low resolution both for performance reasons and because the devs were unused to the engine at the time. You can adjust the shadow resolution on a per-face basis which can have a significant impact on how good the game looks, so if you can make rebuilding work, you can improve the lighting at the same time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Diggus Bickus posted:

Posts like these rule and what you're doing is amazing

Shumagorath posted:

It's been too long since I've played MD so I don't remember where you are but nice find!

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

aniviron posted:

The reason I say this though is that a lot of DX's shadow maps are probably very low resolution both for performance reasons and because the devs were unused to the engine at the time. You can adjust the shadow resolution on a per-face basis which can have a significant impact on how good the game looks, so if you can make rebuilding work, you can improve the lighting at the same time.

I noticed on the test playthrough that a lot of the lighting looked substantially better. Brushes seemed to be casting really sharp shadows (which often revealed that the light placement didn't make sense).

I don't remember railings casting shadows like this before...

I don't intend on proceeding with using UnrealEd for the release anyway, unless there's some way to automate the process on the client's computer. Releasing barely-altered maps doesn't seem like fair use.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Posts like these rule and what you're doing is amazing

Thanks, that means a lot :)

Butterwagon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 8, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's been too long since I've played MD so I don't remember where you are but nice find!
Seriously. I take back any complaints I ever made about Prague.

Edit: Except for the obviously bugged rave card in the hidden panel of the neon dealer's apartment.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Shumagorath posted:

Hmmm. There's a bunch of tunnels under the near side of Prague, but the first screenie looks unfamiliar.

The tunnels contain a drug lab that's part of the Neon sidequest, plus a self-contained sidequest about a creepy cult. That and a few goodie caches.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gynovore posted:

Hmmm. There's a bunch of tunnels under the near side of Prague, but the first screenie looks unfamiliar.

The tunnels contain a drug lab that's part of the Neon sidequest, plus a self-contained sidequest about a creepy cult. That and a few goodie caches.

And it also connects to the newspaper headquarters.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gynovore posted:

That was definitely cult-leaning. I found the neon lab by accident last time but was completely unaware of both quests.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Eason the Fifth posted:

I know the audience for this thread and the Deus Ex thread are 90% the same, but for the folks who just hang over here, I'm going to be a shithead and crosspost:

Prey, or Arkane, 0451 etc games in general: we always welcome more posts in the Prey thread. Namaste.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've only played a couple of hours of Prey for some reason. Not sure why.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I gave up around the... Arboretum? Where you need to collect voice samples to unlock a door. I did all of that, got the audio queue to go open the door but when I get there it just kept saying password invalid or something.

Cool game, but yea either I was missing something dumb or the game was totally bugged out. GLUE gun was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I start one of the side quests that's available on the first visit to Prague, do I have to finish it before going to Golem City or can I pick it up when I get back? Specifically Neon Nights / SM00 which is available all three visits.