Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Your modded 10mm, thank you much. :colbert:
This loving game almost made me pick up a Glock 20 as my first gun and I'm glad I'm not that committed.

As for the prequels, I'm lucky CZ don't appear to make a 10mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

People here keep telling me it's good but I've never made it past the intro despite trying three times

It's good apart from the beginning and the end. So could be worth powering through.

The intro really is dreadful, with an angry Australian yelling at you about some kind of complicated scenario where your killing the terrorists to lock a door to stop the arms deal but then the other terrorists come then none of it matters for 15 hours or so

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Going from the end of HR to the beginning of MD (and really the game in general) is such a big whiplash. You're expected to just be on board with Adam joining not just one, but two secret organizations offscreen between the two games and give a poo poo about either of them. I realize they probably show this stuff in non-game media, but the fact that they really don't even introduce these things and instead just plop you into the world is just ridiculous.

I started MD again a year or so ago and I still haven't finished it. Admittedly I was waiting on the PS5 so the load times would be better, but it's still hard to get through. The actual game part is pretty great, but the story just feels like such a misstep that I couldn't tell you where it's trying to lead to.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Momomo posted:

Going from the end of HR to the beginning of MD (and really the game in general) is such a big whiplash. You're expected to just be on board with Adam joining not just one, but two secret organizations offscreen between the two games and give a poo poo about either of them. I realize they probably show this stuff in non-game media, but the fact that they really don't even introduce these things and instead just plop you into the world is just ridiculous.

I started MD again a year or so ago and I still haven't finished it. Admittedly I was waiting on the PS5 so the load times would be better, but it's still hard to get through. The actual game part is pretty great, but the story just feels like such a misstep that I couldn't tell you where it's trying to lead to.

I did the same thing recently and it does feel extremely jarring. I don't think they expected to make a sequel to HR.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was even more jarring than normal for me Cause I played Jensen as an absolute tool of Sarif, who never asked any questions, and always did what he was told to keep the Cash rolling in. Then MD comes and he hosed off to work for an anti terrorist coalition, nonsense.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

aniviron posted:

That said it's generally worth getting, there must be a half dozen praxis kits hidden behind weak walls. Sure, you can use explosives on most of these walls, but sometimes they are in areas where this would be hard to do or would frag friendlies.
Any source of damage will eventually break a wall (up to and including crate throws) so you can just shoot it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is the first time I've heard that you can give Renton other guns. This fuckin game.
Yep, same rules as Gunther. You need to drop all your other weapons so you're only carrying the one you want him to take, otherwise JC defaults to offering him his pistol.

Serephina posted:

Nope! IIRC Dad chickens out and runs away after firing a few shots. You actually need to pop jojo mostly yourself. It's such a fickle fight that it really does need a quicksave directly beforehand.
Very sad here at the goons who don't trust Mr Renton to protect his family and hotel and prove he can be a man in front of his daughter (by killing her boyfriend/pump/dealer). It's not always about you, it's about the man regaining his self-respect :(

Fake edit:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Sounds like something JoJo would say. :colbert:

Oh, you bad!

Yes he's where this handle came from originally, I was not a creative child :blush:

Real edit:

hip check please posted:

What other game let's you eat 20 bags of soy chips infront
of a homeless child?

My dude have you tried dropping all your other food so you only have cigarettes when you talk to him?

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 16, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

Yep, same rules as Gunther. You need to drop all your other weapons so you're only carrying the one you want him to take, otherwise JC defaults to offering him his pistol.

:aaaaa:

You can give different weapons to Gunther!??!

This. Fuckin. Game.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
It's really fun watching him go to town with a knife.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SkySteak posted:

I always found the 'Ton Hostage Rescue far more difficult than the Subway one, and I don't know why.

Just did this part again, best way is to take the fire escape up to paul's Apt, open the door and hit one of the guys with a tranq dart. The being shot part of the ai overrides the kill hostages ai so then you just gotta wack em a bunch. Then deal with the guy downstairs

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

:aaaaa:

You can give different weapons to Gunther!??!

This. Fuckin. Game.

Man, right now I honestly can't tell if you're trolling me or if I've genuinely gone too deep and am just incorrectly assuming some things are common knowledge to the fans at large.

Most times you're asked to give an item to somebody the triggers change depending on what's in your inventory. This is Deus Ex 1, it doesn't give you undroppable "mission required" items (eg. Gunther needs a gun so we'll put a "gun" in your inventory that you can't use or drop so you can always fulfill that checkpoint), they instead had to account for the people who arrived at that point with their knees blown out using only exploding barrels to progress and give dialogue based on what you might have or not have.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

jojoinnit posted:

This is Deus Ex 1, it doesn't give you undroppable "mission required" items (eg. Gunther needs a gun so we'll put a "gun" in your inventory that you can't use or drop so you can always fulfill that checkpoint), they instead had to account for the people who arrived at that point with their knees blown out using only exploding barrels to progress and give dialogue based on what you might have or not have.
I miss the old days

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

Man, right now I honestly can't tell if you're trolling me or if I've genuinely gone too deep and am just incorrectly assuming some things are common knowledge to the fans at large.

Most times you're asked to give an item to somebody the triggers change depending on what's in your inventory. This is Deus Ex 1, it doesn't give you undroppable "mission required" items (eg. Gunther needs a gun so we'll put a "gun" in your inventory that you can't use or drop so you can always fulfill that checkpoint), they instead had to account for the people who arrived at that point with their knees blown out using only exploding barrels to progress and give dialogue based on what you might have or not have.

I mean I've just always had a pistol on me at those moments so it never even occurred to me, since the game always loots pistols from enemies. At this point I've just come to accept that I'm still going to be learning things about Liberty Island til the day I die

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I know you can give gunther a knife but I'm wondering now if you can give him the GEP gun or the crossbow :p

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You can even give him an assault rifle \ silenced pistol, even though you're not meant to have either at this point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmXviUwytA

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

This loving game almost made me pick up a Glock 20 as my first gun and I'm glad I'm not that committed.

As for the prequels, I'm lucky CZ don't appear to make a 10mm.

Hahahaha, extremely :same:

Though I still plan to get one some day.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is it normal that GMDX runs like complete poo poo? I'm getting 56 FPS in menus out of the box.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just realized it's the underworld bar because spector helped create ultima underworld. Goddamn I'm dumb.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gaius Marius posted:

I just realized it's the underworld bar because spector helped create ultima underworld. Goddamn I'm dumb.

I have all PC Gamer issues from 1998-2007 or so and the free demo discs that came with each issue. The July 2000 disc is amazing and has Ultima Underworld

Full versions!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

I have all PC Gamer issues from 1998-2007 or so and the free demo discs that came with each issue. The July 2000 disc is amazing and has Ultima Underworld

Full versions!

I remember playing the absolute hell out of that demo disc that summer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo you wouldn't have to buy games for a decade with a spread like that. Goddamn nowadays developers can't even sell you a whole game.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gaius Marius posted:

Holy poo poo you wouldn't have to buy games for a decade with a spread like that. Goddamn nowadays developers can't even sell you a whole game.

The games are all still fun but I don’t know how many would work on Windows 10

Someone’s selling a copy of the disc on eBay for $65

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I got the first act of DX (ending with the escape to Hong Kong) at Target for $10 or so, back when they had a cheap jewel case-only game section. You could get the first Fallouts there too.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

The games are all still fun but I don’t know how many would work on Windows 10

I feel like the bulk of those you can use DOSBox and it'll be fine

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
King's Quest was my first PC game and even though the series went bonkers toward the end, I-III and VI are definitely in my personal memory lane favorites :unsmith:

edit: Roberta Williams was hugely influential on not just a genre but a whole new medium, and I wish she was mentioned in the same breath as folks like Gabe Newell and John Carmack

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 22, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
That was basically Humble (Physical) Bundle over 20 years ago.

I still remember getting Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 from a box of Frosties (I think) and I still have the disc. I also still enjoy the game and am still quite bad at it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Eason the Fifth posted:

King's Quest was my first PC game and even though the series went bonkers toward the end, I-III and VI are definitely in my personal memory lane favorites :unsmith:

edit: Roberta Williams was hugely influential on not just a genre but a whole new medium, and I wish she was mentioned in the same breath as folks like Gabe Newell and John Carmack

So there's three aspects here.

One is Sierra dying. One is that she's a woman and wrote games that interested women. The third is that Carmack and Newell were both programmers, which has a different kind of cachet.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 25, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1353480155147235330

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I wonder if Videogamevet knows Roberta Williams? I think there’d be some overlap there. Sierra was big a bit before Activision was really rolling but it was still around.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So there's three aspects here.

Don't believe me?

It's all in the numbers.

Number one? That's sierra dying.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

jaime reyes DLC when? we've been waiting over 20 years, spector

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This is probably a solved issue somewhere back in the thread, but I was playing Deus Ex GOTY with Kentie's dx10 renderer and went from full screen to desktop by accident and now the game runs too fast and dialogue keeps cutting off. Is there a fix for this short of reinstalling?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This is probably a solved issue somewhere back in the thread, but I was playing Deus Ex GOTY with Kentie's dx10 renderer and went from full screen to desktop by accident and now the game runs too fast and dialogue keeps cutting off. Is there a fix for this short of reinstalling?

Not sure, but try enabling vsync?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's almost certainly a framerate issue. Vsync would cap it at 60 or 144 or whatever your refresh rate is, or you can see if there's another way to cap the framerate- some external programs will do this, or there might be a setting in the launcher/in Unreal's settings. I think there is but can't recall it off the top of my head.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

aniviron posted:

It's almost certainly a framerate issue. Vsync would cap it at 60 or 144 or whatever your refresh rate is, or you can see if there's another way to cap the framerate- some external programs will do this, or there might be a setting in the launcher/in Unreal's settings. I think there is but can't recall it off the top of my head.

Yea, this was my thinking. Nvidia console now has built-in frame capping as well. Just create a profile for the Deus Ex exe and frame cap or vsync it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you're using the dx10 renderer, it also has a built-in frame limiter. press t to open the talk menu, backspace the default "Say" text and type in "preferences" and under Rendering -> DirectX 10, use your preferred FPS Limit

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

site posted:

if you're using the dx10 renderer, it also has a built-in frame limiter. press t to open the talk menu, backspace the default "Say" text and type in "preferences" and under Rendering -> DirectX 10, use your preferred FPS Limit

This is good poo poo, I didn’t realize this. Thanks!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

site posted:

This fixed it! Thanks all for the assist.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehHJ6MZdlUc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having completed it, I can now recommend System Shock 2 as a certified good game that's almost as good as Deus ex, almost.