Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
If we can somehow make the goon run an annual thing then I know how I'll do liberty Island next summer. Gonna climb the outside of the statue, sneak down to free Gunther, and let him take over murderbot duties.

I'm also down with doing IW next. I haven't booted it up in donkeys ears but I'm pretty sure there's enough bodies in the first outdoors section that I can ragdoll them into a milk crate pile and climb to the end of the level early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I just spent $7 drat USDs on Infinite Infinity Invisible War. What do I need to know to get this running on Win10?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I just spent $7 drat USDs on Infinite Infinity Invisible War. What do I need to know to get this running on Win10?
There’s this Visible Upgrade thing that people recommend for fixing the graphics a bit. Unfortunately it doesn’t do anything to fix the level design or gameplay.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I believe that there is a mod that makes the game more seamless and reduces many loading transitions. That might be for Thief 3 only, though, since they were made in the same engine.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the nature of IW’s development make it too messy to salvage Inside of its own engine. Best bet would be rebuilding it in something else. Personally I think just demaking it as a DX1 mod would be appropriate.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
I finally got around to releasing part of the graphical enhancement project I worked on last year.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/crispy-deus-ex/

I never got around to fixing the problems with changing level textures so it's just character, item, and decoration enhancements for now.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Casimir Radon posted:

Personally I think just demaking it as a DX1 mod would be appropriate.

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get Invisible War Reborn.

Your character starts out in a restaurant bathroom with a co-worker calling your infolink (through an incredibly lovely microphone, naturally) so he can tell you it's your turn to get zyme for your boss from the "coffee" stand across the street. Whatever the gently caress's going on, it makes zero sense, and the UI colors are an eyesore, and I never saw Chicago or Seattle or any indication of what year it's supposed to be. It's either a slice of life outside a WTO compound, or an extremely incongruous Burden of 80 Proof imitation, or a bunch of poo poo the mod creator thought was cool and threw together with no regard for if they fit. My money's on option number 3.

There was a mention in the readme file that I might have downloaded the "IWR community update" which apparently removes some gratuitous edgelord bullshit, including weird obscenities and slurs and cannibalism. Sure I went in with low expectations, but I was actually amazed by how the mod went out of its way so it could fail to meet them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get Invisible War Reborn.

Your character starts out in a restaurant bathroom with a co-worker calling your infolink (through an incredibly lovely microphone, naturally) so he can tell you it's your turn to get zyme for your boss from the "coffee" stand across the street. Whatever the gently caress's going on, it makes zero sense, and the UI colors are an eyesore, and I never saw Chicago or Seattle or any indication of what year it's supposed to be. It's either a slice of life outside a WTO compound, or an extremely incongruous Burden of 80 Proof imitation, or a bunch of poo poo the mod creator thought was cool and threw together with no regard for if they fit. My money's on option number 3.

There was a mention in the readme file that I might have downloaded the "IWR community update" which apparently removes some gratuitous edgelord bullshit, including weird obscenities and slurs and cannibalism. Sure I went in with low expectations, but I was actually amazed by how the mod went out of its way so it could fail to meet them.

You're making this up, surely

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I absolutely am not, and don't call me Shirley

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

:aaa:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Well you can call me stoked. James Stoked. :dance:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

jojoinnit posted:

Well you can call me stoked. James Stoked. :dance:

Nice to meet you, James. Who made you stoked? Was it... Bram Stoker? :drac:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Nice to meet you, James. Who made you stoked? Was it... Bram Stoker? :drac:

(Just pretend I successfully put Leslie Nielsen's face over Nob Bob Page)

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 10, 2021

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I loved going to UNATCO for the first time and throwing stuff at Manderley sitting at his desk

“Grow up, JC!”

“You’ll behave like a professional!”

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cat Hassler posted:

“Grow up, JC!”

“You’ll behave like a professional!”

"I never had time to take the UNATCO oath of office."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

"I never had time to take the UNATCO oath of office."
Rule book didn’t say anything about not tossing a bowling trophy upside your boss’s head.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Casimir Radon posted:

Rule book didn’t say anything about not tossing a bowling trophy upside your boss’s head.

I was never properly trained in its operations

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

I was never properly trained in its operations

Laugh it up, Denton

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

That kind of behavior embarrasses the agency more than it does you.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Screwed around with pool and managed to get breaks to work. Originally balls couldn't bounce for 20 milliseconds after a previous bounce (probably to prevent the rack from exploding).

https://i.imgur.com/CrPM735.mp4

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sign him up for….uh….the pool team!

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Butterwagon posted:

Screwed around with pool and managed to get breaks to work. Originally balls couldn't bounce for 20 milliseconds after a previous bounce (probably to prevent the rack from exploding).

https://i.imgur.com/CrPM735.mp4

Finally a use for the swimming skill.

I'll show myself out.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Hank Morgan posted:

Finally a use for the swimming skill.

i don't get it =[

instant edit: POOL oh my god. Leaving this intact as a monument to my shame

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Just found out Paul yells at you if you go on a rampage in the hangar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sabxSXLtjJ0

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That’d be a new thing I learned abt DX 22 years later

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Same here! I didn't think you'd be able to get Paul to kill you either

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

You know about the secret room near the end of the training mission, yeah?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Butterwagon posted:

Just found out Paul yells at you if you go on a rampage in the hangar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sabxSXLtjJ0

Fantastic :allears:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Same here! I didn't think you'd be able to get Paul to kill you either

Everyone with a gun can kill you and you can turn almost any friendly hostile.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

You know about the secret room near the end of the training mission, yeah?

Getting called out for finding the hidden room in Nameless Mod was delightful

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Gaius Marius posted:

Getting called out for finding the hidden room in Nameless Mod was delightful

TNM suffers a lot from its jokey nature and weird "it's just the Internet" conceit so it doesn't really feel like your choices have much impact, but it does inarguably have more complex branching paths than DX1.

One of my favorites that comes to mind is a quest to get some files from a bartender and old friend; he won't give them up no matter what so you have to take them off his body. You can knock him out and continue along the moderator critical path, but when you get back to the city after the next mission the bar will have been bombed and everyone inside killed, including the owner if you injured him non-lethally.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love how in Nameless Mod you can non-lethally take out the bosses and people will notice

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Speaking of, anyone know if the TNM 2.0 stuff in the Steam Workshop for DX: Revision is any good? I really enjoyed the original back in the day and am curious if the update is worth checking out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Everyone with a gun can kill you and you can turn almost any friendly hostile.
I went to go confirm this for myself while I was scouting out the next level I'll be doing in the run. I shot Walton Simons after he finished his conversations and is just standing near the cells. He went hostile and started peppering me with plasma.

Here's where it got interesting. I run back to avoid and UNATCO guards come running in. I didn't have time to see if they were meant to be hostile to me for attacking Simons because one of the plasma bursts immediately hits a trooper. This turns all troopers against Simons and suddenly there's a firefight and it turns out everyone at UNATCO hq is hard-coded to be invincible until the time you're supposed to be able to kill them later. Since nobody can die it's just endless grunting and blood. The most surprising part was that Manderley came downstairs to join in, on the troopers side. I was just completely ignored.

This just went on and on until I quit out, as they're all invincible and won't go back to normal state cause nobody would stop shooting at somebody. I hope this screenshots are legible enough. I don't know why but it captures them darker than it actually is on my screen.

E: Just noticed on the second pic that you can see UNATCO is green to me, so I guess the whole place was just intentionally protecting their boy and investment, JC.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

jojoinnit posted:

I went to go confirm this for myself while I was scouting out the next level I'll be doing in the run.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7C71E6B445FEBE37

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I love how in Nameless Mod you can non-lethally take out the bosses and people will notice

One of the Belltower commanders in Human Revolution is a guy named Khan who leads the raid to hunt down the Dutch hacker in Hengsha. If he survives that encounter, he'll be in his office at Tai Yong Medical when you infiltrate the building. If he survives that he'll be guarding the port where the Hei Zhen Zhu is docked.

There's apparently a couple missable conversations regarding him too: a couple guards in the TYM building normally discuss how brutal Khan is; if he's dead at that point, they will instead be pissing themselves about who could kill a guy like that. The wiki also claims that if you escape the construction site on your second Hengsha visit quickly enough, Khan will be the one to execute Malik if he's alive.

All that for one guy who doesn't even have augs, iirc.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

I went to go confirm this for myself while I was scouting out the next level I'll be doing in the run. I shot Walton Simons after he finished his conversations and is just standing near the cells. He went hostile and started peppering me with plasma.

Here's where it got interesting. I run back to avoid and UNATCO guards come running in. I didn't have time to see if they were meant to be hostile to me for attacking Simons because one of the plasma bursts immediately hits a trooper. This turns all troopers against Simons and suddenly there's a firefight and it turns out everyone at UNATCO hq is hard-coded to be invincible until the time you're supposed to be able to kill them later. Since nobody can die it's just endless grunting and blood. The most surprising part was that Manderley came downstairs to join in, on the troopers side. I was just completely ignored.

This just went on and on until I quit out, as they're all invincible and won't go back to normal state cause nobody would stop shooting at somebody. I hope this screenshots are legible enough. I don't know why but it captures them darker than it actually is on my screen.

E: Just noticed on the second pic that you can see UNATCO is green to me, so I guess the whole place was just intentionally protecting their boy and investment, JC.

It's been a while since I read Sunglasses at Night, but I seem to recall hearing that you can do similar things by turning the cleaning robot against you, stepping on its head - the troopers are friendly to you but the robot is now mad at you, so...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Yo this is blessed as hell, thanks!

aniviron posted:

It's been a while since I read Sunglasses at Night, but I seem to recall hearing that you can do similar things by turning the cleaning robot against you, stepping on its head - the troopers are friendly to you but the robot is now mad at you, so...

I definitely stepped over the cleaning bots a million times as a kid and don't remember it doing anything but angrily moving faster and maybe emitting sparks. I'll investigate this for sure though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Yo this is blessed as hell, thanks!

I definitely stepped over the cleaning bots a million times as a kid and don't remember it doing anything but angrily moving faster and maybe emitting sparks. I'll investigate this for sure though.

http://it-he.org/deus3.php

it's a little bit different from that

quote:

Fun with Simons.. and UNATCO
The other chief venue for messing with Simons is at UNATCO. There's simple stuff, like throwing plant-pots at him or shooting him in the back of the head (twice) and then running like doom to the safety of Black Helicopter (the attempted assassination does not appear on your UNATCO record).

What we are about to do will bring the entire base to its knees.

Setting the Scene
You want to be at UNATCO on the third visit, when Paul has gone AWOL and you have been tasked with finding the lost shipments of Ambrosia creamed rice pudding.

Visit Manderley and get everything set up so as you're about to leave. Simons should be downstairs interrogating the prisoners.

If you haven't already done so, steal the keys to the upstairs broom cupboards. There is a copy in Manderley's office. The key to the medical cupboard is handy too, but you can only steal that on your first visit.

Hostility, and v-violence.
Go downstairs to the recreation area, where the vacuum cleaner is busy vacuuming and Sharron is sitting on the sofa by the water cooler.

Shunt the vacuum cleaner to the foot of the stairs, and build some kind of construction to keep it there. I use plants and sofas, although I have managed to get the entire thing to work with no rig at all.

Now run immediately the cell blocks and shoot one of the guards in the head (twice). Simons won't notice because he's too busy leaning on the prisoners.

Run back to the recreation area where the sergeant will probably say something like 'Don't worry about Anna Navarre'. Run and try to get him between you and the two pursuing guards so they shoot him instead. I must stress that everyone else present at the moment is immortal.

Run around in circles for a bit, trying to dodge the gunfire. You should find that some of the troopers are apparently firing at each other.

The sounds of gunfire from below will draw others.. Manderley, Navarre and a host of troopers will all go downstairs to the join the melee. Watch out for hostile troopers around the stairs.. you may need to jump back down and run to the medical labs to get patched up. Hiding in the cupboard is also an option.

This dangerous bit is however a temporary situation, because about now all the troops will have shifted their attention to their true enemy.

DEATH TO THE VACUUM CLEANER!

The troops, Manderley and Navarre will all be frantically trying to nail the vacuum cleaner, for no satisfactory reason. They will keep attacking until the struggling vacuum cleaner is pinned to the wall. The attackers will also tend to shoot each other by mistake, although they are too far gone to hold grudges.

When they run out of bullets, they will switch to knives:

So, virtually all of UNATCO is now frantically slashing at the vaccum cleaner. It is too low for them to hit but they don't care. Sometimes a trooper will end up standing on it but none of this matters anyway since the vacuum cleaner is just as immortal as they are.

Do not jump onto the vacuum cleaner yourself.. the others will cut you up by accident. When they have carved away both your legs they will start on your arms and torso until you are dead. I speak from experience.

You may however wish to throw a vase into the fray.. if it lands on the vacuum cleaner they will very rapidly smash it in a frenzy of hatred.

they go on to have more shenanigans screwing with Simons while the entire base si fighting a vacuum cleaner, go read the whole thing.

edit: god that site is so aggressively late 90s I'm getting a massive wave of nostalgia

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 25, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The roombas emit sparks when they're attacked? I always assumed it was piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I felt really bad when I stepped on a cat and killed it