Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Basic Chunnel posted:

Surprised no one's linked to Warren Spector's GDC keynote. Here's a summary.

I love Deus Ex but aside from insider stuff about it's development I kind of have a hard time paying attention to or caring about the guy considering that everything he's been involved with since then has been flawed at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Now that nobody cares about Deus Ex: Revision anymore, it is officially available on GOG! Free if you've already got Deus Ex over there.
https://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex_revision

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cat Mattress posted:

Now that nobody cares about Deus Ex: Revision anymore, it is officially available on GOG! Free if you've already got Deus Ex over there.
https://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex_revision

I think it's awesome. Almost finished with my Steam Revision playthrough and I don't get the hate. I wasn't stuck or confused anywhere, have tons of augs and am super enjoying it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Seems like the comments all go for GMDX.

I finished a GMDX run a while ago and enjoyed it a lot.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think both are worth trying out, just don't expect them to be exactly the same take on DX, because they're not. Revision was $0 and worth one playthrough. I can't ask for more. Try them out and make up your own mind!

Way too many of those comments are from people who don't understand you can like a thing without trashing its competition and/or residual salt over the Steam-only release (which, to be fair, I didn't understand either but :shrug: ) for me to take them overly seriously. Revision makes a lot of changes, some of which work and some don't, but heh, don't expect reasonable discussion on that from random people on the internet.

e: I'm still a little bitter over GMDX but it's also $0 and worth trying, in the end

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 11, 2017

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually just finished my Revision playthrough at 34 hours. I remember buying this game in 2000 because it was PC Gamers Goty that year beating both Baldurs Gate 2 and Diablo 2.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have all the PC Gamer magazines from 1999-2007 or so. I need to find the issue where they reviewed Deus Ex

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Revision's level design is just terrible in my opinion. The areas are too large and theres almost no hidden loot tucked away. If you want some really good Deus Ex style level design, you want to play Nameless Mod. Theres a massive amount of little branching paths everywhere, it's a real shame that everyone involved wasted their talents on a forum-based mod. If you can get past the cringe-inducing first hour of Nameless Mod, its all solid gold after that

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I was still cringing by hour 3, when I uninstalled it.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you can get past the cringe-inducing first hour of Nameless Mod, its all solid gold after that

Well, apart from the end with the tiny aliens with the broken hitboxes. And the middle bit with the AI who quotes films/games at you while screwing with your interface. And all the "lol, sporks" stuff. And the bits where they try and excuse terrible design with "an awful jumping section? Why, this is like something out of a bad videogame!!!!"

Revision's biggest sin is having places that look like an interesting secret bit, but when you finagle your way there with crates and Magic Legs turns out to be just decoration. Apart from that it's fine. But Zodiac is still the best Deus Ex mod, somehow.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Two Owls posted:

Well, apart from the end with the tiny aliens with the broken hitboxes. And the middle bit with the AI who quotes films/games at you while screwing with your interface. And all the "lol, sporks" stuff. And the bits where they try and excuse terrible design with "an awful jumping section? Why, this is like something out of a bad videogame!!!!"

Yeah but the level design is just amazing. A+ all around on that part. Full support for non-lethal playthroughs, multiple boss fights (with non-lethal support), branching paths... it has it all. Just a shame about the writing.

Two Owls posted:

Revision's biggest sin is having places that look like an interesting secret bit, but when you finagle your way there with crates and Magic Legs turns out to be just decoration.

It was enough to kill the game for me. Finding interesting secret bits is like 50% of why I enjoy Deus Ex. I guess if you don't care about that aspect of the level design then Revision is OK.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Put me down as another punter who can look past Nameless' (many) flaws. It's more Deus Ex at the end of the day, which is something I'm always crying out for.

I'm having a second go at Revision with all the updates as well. I bounced off it the first time but will try and be more patient with its changes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All the backwards Chinese text textures in Hong Kong kept triggering me.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Grand Fromage posted:

All the backwards Chinese text textures in Hong Kong kept triggering me.

Not advisable for tourist to visit the canals at night

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

Not advisable for tourist to visit the canals at night

I told you, bad people around here.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jeoh posted:

I told you, bad people around here.
I can tell them you're a spy and they will kill you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's weird having finished Revision and loving it, then seeing tons of hate for it on YouTube and in this thread. I'm playing thru with GMDX now so we'll see how that goes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Revision is worth one playthrough at least. GMDX as well. I prefer shifter/biomod mostly.

The Nameless Mod didn't make it past the three hour mark for me either.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Revision is worth one playthrough because... well, it's more Deus Ex. Literally - it's Deus Ex, + more stuff.

GDMX isn't worth a playthrough because it's literally less Deus Ex. It's Deus Ex - fun stuff you can do.

I've played through the Nameless Mod twice, and may replay it in the future. I really recommend it, unless the very idea of "forums fanfic" makes scream incoherently. The best (and worst) part is that the forums thing doesn't matter in the least. 80% of the time you can just replace forums terms with generic sci-fi terms, and nothing would change.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would agree they don't understand level design and a bunch of it wasn't done that well, but it was a replay of the game with fresh stuff so it was fine. I wouldn't play it again but once was good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I finished liberty island with GMDX and am going back to work on new game plus with Revision. I immediately didn't like how things felt, like the super fast crouch walking speed and the idea that stealth should be a skill to pump points into. This'll be my 9th play thru since the game was released. Such a classic!

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Warren Spector's GDC keynote was posted on youtube today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What the loving gently caress, Bruce Sterling was Warren Spector's Dungeon Master?!

This talk is good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jesus Christ Denton.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

I have all the PC Gamer magazines from 1999-2007 or so. I need to find the issue where they reviewed Deus Ex

I'm trying to find the CGW one. I think they ended up giving it like three and a half stars or something on the lower side like that.

E:Found it! I was right, three and a half stars. http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_195.pdf

It's on page 109.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 4, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm trying to find the CGW one. I think they ended up giving it like three and a half stars or something on the lower side like that.

E:Found it! I was right, three and a half stars. http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_195.pdf

It's on page 109.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
CGW was a great magazine back in the day and the review for DX freakishly even handed in acknowledging that games like DX point out how stupid stars-out-of-five systems are and we will never see it's like again :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Deux Ex, 3/5 stars, GOTY forever until heat death

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Willie Tomg posted:

CGW was a great magazine back in the day and the review for DX freakishly even handed in acknowledging that games like DX point out how stupid stars-out-of-five systems are and we will never see it's like again :(

Yeah, they even went back to a starless review system for a while before it folded. Man, that magazine ruled.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

hmm... hmmmm

https://twitter.com/APEastRegion/status/860193825368748032

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you wanted to buy the Power Rig from that issue of CGW to get your DX on with, you would be dropping the equivilent of 8 GRAND in today's money for a smoking hot 933 MHz processor and 256MB of ram. drat, computers have come a long way in 17 years.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

How long did it take for you to get sick of everyone replying with "what a shame" at everything?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Found my September 2000 issue of PC Gamer with their review:

PC Gamer was once really good but went to poo poo around 2008 or so

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Keith Atherton posted:

Had a sub that year for pc gamer, such a good loving year. Baldurs Gate 2; Diablo 2, and Deus Ex. Deus Ex was goty and BG2 was rpg of the year if memory serves. That review there is the reason I bought the game back then.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

chaosapiant posted:

Had a sub that year for pc gamer, such a good loving year. Baldurs Gate 2; Diablo 2, and Deus Ex. Deus Ex was goty and BG2 was rpg of the year if memory serves. That review there is the reason I bought the game back then.

Same but CGW. I miss the golden days of getting gaming magazines in the mail complete with demo cd :corsair:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Keith Atherton posted:

Was PC Gamer the one that packed in a DVD with a bunch of full games, including Deus Ex, back when DVD drives were relatively new? Because as someone whose family had just gotten a brand spanking new Dell with a DVD drive (separate from the CD drive, of course) that gave me one of the best gaming summer breaks ever.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Guy Mann posted:

Was PC Gamer the one that packed in a DVD with a bunch of full games, including Deus Ex, back when DVD drives were relatively new? Because as someone whose family had just gotten a brand spanking new Dell with a DVD drive (separate from the CD drive, of course) that gave me one of the best gaming summer breaks ever.
I think it was Computer Gaming World, and yeah that was incredible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

Same but CGW. I miss the golden days of getting gaming magazines in the mail complete with demo cd :corsair:

Hey man, you're supposed to ask people if they want to feel old before you do that :(

I totally forgot about demo CDs and how exciting they were. Back in the day when you'd try to download a big demo over a 56k modem and hope you didn't get cut off by a phone call or something (you always would)

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hey man, you're supposed to ask people if they want to feel old before you do that :(

I totally forgot about demo CDs and how exciting they were. Back in the day when you'd try to download a big demo over a 56k modem and hope you didn't get cut off by a phone call or something (you always would)

I found some old floppy discs with a demo for Beneath a Steel Sky on it recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're feeling nostalgic, I think you can get that game for free now.

Edit: yep.

https://www.gog.com/game/beneath_a_steel_sky