Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Deus Ex was a great game that did a lot of things we take for granted now for the first time. I'm glad I played it within a couple years of it coming out, because it was really mind-blowing and unfortunately I don't see much point in someone used to playing modern games investing a lot of time in it. The only real "oh WOW!" moment that still works is holy poo poo I'm being held in UNATCO HQ! Its time really has passed, and the flaws we overlooked back then (poo poo leveling system, awful character models and animation, worthless shooting) are just massively glaring now.

You can see its influence in modern games. Deus Ex really did show how to do an RPG that wasn't top-down. The Mass Effect games remind me a lot of it...granted, without the child killing - gaming really has lost its spine when it comes to gratuitous violence, shoot someone with a rocket launcher nowadays and they just ragdoll away, no bloody chunks leaving behind red smear decals as the slide away.

For the flaws you mention, though, I'm not sure of any game that really does it better.

e: OK in retrospect this post was pretty stupid

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

Help, the boat on liberty island doesn't work, what do I do?!

loving rear end in a top hat devs made you pay to access the rest of the DLC. Figures other games would emulate that model in the future. :argh:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah, but Deus Ex doesn't play well with Windows 7 and the graphics are dated. People who haven't played it and don't have the patience to try should check out FPS RPG Supergame Bioshock instead.

Steam can be a little tricky to navigate so here's a walkthrough to help those attempting to purchase Bioshock

you are the worst

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Everyone who hasn't played good-cop-bad-cop with Simons in the UNATCO cells gtfo of the thread, do that, then please come back. Thank you.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Willie Tomg posted:

Everyone who hasn't played good-cop-bad-cop with Simons in the UNATCO cells gtfo of the thread, do that, then please come back. Thank you.

It's especially fun getting all the information and dialogue out of the inmates, then killing them before Simons can.

Cockblocked :c00lbutt:

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Tried playing through for the millionth time roleplaying as a Discordian named "Hale Eris". Pretty fun to get bitched out by your boss for murdering Joe Greene the first time you see him in the bar. Also some fuckery: if you abuse the 'ghost' command in Hongkong, you can go up to Maggie Chow's apartment, noclip to the sword, grab it, noclip back to Maggie Chow (there's script triggers on the floor that will make her disappear as though she's already sent you to the police HQ), then wield it before talking to her, and you'll put it away in front of her as she starts to tell you of its theft. You can then brain her with it and chuck her out the window onto the street below. Bob Page is then talking to himself all alone behind the glass at Versalife, and if you noclip in there and off him, it, of course, doesn't affect the rest of the story.

Pretty disappointing all the story-related Illuminati characters (ok maybe just Stanton Dowd and Morgan Everett) are flagged as invulnerable. Killing them was pretty much the whole point of the play-through... Even if you attack Everett and he's hostile as you run upstairs to Jock, he'll still be calm and asking for your help on the infolink once you're in the last area of the game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Azuren posted:

Tried playing through for the millionth time roleplaying as a Discordian named "Hale Eris".

The ultimate Deus Ex anarchist walkthrough is still Sunglasses At Night.

It taught me so many creative uses for Crates of Boom.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've played through DX so many times at this point that I'm pretty much resigned to never finding anything new to do with it, unless I can think of some hilarious new gimmick. I was trying a playthrough where I was never allowed to use any weapon, but that got boring fast.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Bowen posted:

You probably won't like it, you should check out Game Of The Year Final Fantasy XIII instead. Now with 75% less gameplay between cutscenes!

I'm sorry, Fallout's gameplay is really clunky in this day and age, same with System Shock's shooting. They're considered classics because of things like writing, sound design, and the ability to tackle situations with a variety of different skills and character builds, but anybody who's mind isn't completely clouded by nostalgia would recognize the flaws in their gameplay and how it has been improved since. Trying to act smug about gameplay when Fallout's combat consisted 90% of the time standing around and targeting people's eyes and groin over and over is ridiculously counter-intuitive.

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah, but Deus Ex doesn't play well with Windows 7 and the graphics are dated. People who haven't played it and don't have the patience to try should check out FPS RPG Supergame Bioshock instead.

Steam can be a little tricky to navigate so here's a walkthrough to help those attempting to purchase Bioshock

:frogout:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

The best thing about Deus Ex is quite definitely its unmatched dialogue and voice-acting.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/dshm

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I love this game long time and play it like twice a year. I've heard it doesn't work well on Windows 7, is there a way to correct for that? It may very seriously prevent me from buying Windows 7 if not.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Red Crown posted:

I love this game long time and play it like twice a year. I've heard it doesn't work well on Windows 7, is there a way to correct for that? It may very seriously prevent me from buying Windows 7 if not.

Tecman posted:

It won't work out of the box, but there ARE custom renderers and graphical + interface tweaks that make the game look quite good.

Hell, the info was posted on this very page!
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm

And christ do I love New Vision - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision - but for some reason I really cannot stand HDTP.

Add this to the OP already, christ.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm sorry, Fallout's gameplay is really clunky in this day and age, same with System Shock's shooting. They're considered classics because of things like writing, sound design, and the ability to tackle situations with a variety of different skills and character builds, but anybody who's mind isn't completely clouded by nostalgia would recognize the flaws in their gameplay and how it has been improved since. Trying to act smug about gameplay when Fallout's combat consisted 90% of the time standing around and targeting people's eyes and groin over and over is ridiculously counter-intuitive.

The original System Shock is extremely dated, but System Shock 2 is still superior to any other FPS besides maybe Deus Ex. There hasn't been an FPS in the last ten years or probably ever that is as good as either of them.

Fallout gets pretty simple once you know the holy trinity of pick small guns, max perception, shoot for the eyes but that doesn't change the fact that it's a completely unique game and not that easy if you don't actively min/max your way through the game.

Of course, neither of these games hold your hand and guide you to every single objective with a gigantic loving arrow, while the objective flashes in bright colors just in case you still can't find it, so in that sense they are both outdated.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Adam Bowen posted:

Of course, neither of these games hold your hand and guide you to every single objective with a gigantic loving arrow, while the objective flashes in bright colors just in case you still can't find it, so in that sense they are both outdated.

Neither did Turok 2.
By your standards: Turok 2 = Great game

Also, you shoot dinosaurs with a loving cerebral drill, how unique is that?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Adam Bowen posted:

Games need to make this optional, I loving hate it so much.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Deus Ex's audio as a whole is completely unmatched

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Lilac1 posted:

Neither did Turok 2.

Turok Rage Wars on the N64 was my first multiplayer shooter, also my first game with achievements in it

I got all of them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Willie Tomg posted:

Jesus Christ, JC.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

Games need to make this optional, I loving hate it so much.

I don't mind it as long as it doesn't get too intrusive.

Take Oblivion as an example. Most of the red quest pointers are very useful and let you find locations without wandering around in circles forever. This was a huge problem in Morrowind where the world was huge and directions to certain dungeons were often vague or inaccurate. On the other hand, a lot of the green markers were ill-placed or too intrusive or broke immersion (like telling you exactly where a person is at any given time in the world).

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
So, serious question. Who ever went out of their way to ensure Miguel got out of the MJ12 facility with you alive

I do it every playthrough. I just feel the need to protect the courageous little bastard :ohdear:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

This was a huge problem in Morrowind where the world was huge and directions to certain dungeons were often vague or inaccurate.
This was intentional to make you actually explore and give an in-universe reason for why the dungeons you were exploring weren't already looted ahead of time.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jetsetlemming posted:

This was intentional to make you actually explore and give an in-universe reason for why the dungeons you were exploring weren't already looted ahead of time.

Still doesn't justify wandering around until you find the entrance to a dungeon. It's boring and annoying.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

rocket_man38 posted:

So I heard there is some trick where you can knock a body out and take it to every level with you if you do it right?

I don't see how this is possible, how would you transfer the body any time you got in Jock's chopper?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Gumball Dad posted:

Basically, if you have never played Deus Ex you shouldn't post. I don't mean that in an ad hominum way. I mean that if you have never played Deus Ex, anything you have to say about video games is worthless. It's like if a person had never heard of the Beatles and was trying to talk about music in the 20th century. No offense to anyone if they haven't played it. Just don't expect me to take anything you have to say about anything seriously.

If you haven't played it, c'mon. Put down the 360 controller and turn off Modern Warfare. Play Deus Ex and don't speak to another human being until you have beaten it.

Awesome truth.

Also, I haven't played System Shock 1 or 2 since they came out, but I enjoyed 1 much more than two. That said, I can't say that I'd expect anyone to pick either up today and have the same experience that I did then.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

The original System Shock is extremely dated, but System Shock 2 is still superior to any other FPS besides maybe Deus Ex. There hasn't been an FPS in the last ten years or probably ever that is as good as either of them.

Can SS2 run on Windows XP? I downloaded it a while back and I ran into a whole host of problems trying to get it to run.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Lilac1 posted:

Neither did Turok 2.

I definitely said that the single defining feature of a good game is that it doesn't have an arrow pointing you where you want to go. Thank you for your highly accurate summation of what I posted.

OregonDonor posted:

Can SS2 run on Windows XP? I downloaded it a while back and I ran into a whole host of problems trying to get it to run.

Yeah, I haven't played it on Win 7 but I played it on XP a couple of years ago. This thread on some other forums covers all the issues most people have. For me it only took a couple of quick steps to make it work.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Meliv posted:

So, serious question. Who ever went out of their way to ensure Miguel got out of the MJ12 facility with you alive

I do it every playthrough. I just feel the need to protect the courageous little bastard :ohdear:

That has to be some unfinished part of the game - why didn't that have any consequences?

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That has to be some unfinished part of the game - why didn't that have any consequences?

Dunno. Would have been cool to have him randomly show up later on in the game. Does shifter award skill points for doing this? The vanilla game doesn't apparently. Not that I need any incentive tosave that crazy knife wielding maniac :patriot:

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Meliv posted:

Dunno. Would have been cool to have him randomly show up later on in the game. Does shifter award skill points for doing this? The vanilla game doesn't apparently. Not that I need any incentive tosave that crazy knife wielding maniac :patriot:

It's been a while since I played, but I believe Shifter does give you a small skill point bonus for getting Miguel outside. I just told him to stay in his cell, cleared everyone out of the way, then ran all the way back to get him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OregonDonor posted:

Use this: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392.0.html It'll take care of any issues you have.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Of course, the best run is where you're only allowed to use heavy weapons. More viable in Shifter because it adds some silly new heavy guns.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I am glad that there is a Deus Ex thread that isn't whining about the sequel or the new sequelprequel.

I play this game once a year (though it's been a slight bitch running it on windows 7- i'll have to try some of the tips you guys have posted) and always find something significantly new that I didn't know before.

Also! My high school web design teacher was named Jaime Reyes. I thought that was just a neat coincidence, but about a year later he asked if anyone knew the game "Doos Ex." I corrected him because I was a :smug: high school student, and he revealed that he taught one of the programmers for Deus Ex, and his name was used for 'a character.'

The doctor in the game shares almost no resemblance to the real Jaime Reyes, except that they are both short and pudgy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The DX3 thread has pretty much just turned into dx1chat. There's some cool info about cut content and such in there if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Grand Fromage posted:

The DX3 thread has pretty much just turned into dx1chat. There's some cool info about cut content and such in there if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Oh. I guess I just didn't dig deep enough into it to find the good stuff. :siren:KINDA LIKE LIBERTY ISLAND:siren:

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Hard Clumping posted:

... but about a year later he asked if anyone knew the game "Doos Ex."

I pronounced it that way longer than I care to admit. :downs:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Daedalus1134 posted:

Due Sex

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daedalus1134 posted:

Same here. Then again, I was fairly young when I first played it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Daedalus1134 posted:

..me too :downs::hf::downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This is the best Deus Ex video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDM0rGxtpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtJMdExpNw&feature=related :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FOOD!!!
Nov 27, 2002

Captain of the Assboat

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This is the best Deus Ex video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDM0rGxtpY

I really wanted to refute that claim, but I think your video ended up being funnier than mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenmlaW8qiU